[Strategy] Where the Thunder Rumbles

• 1 month later...

Fun scenario! Conan got mired in melee with Pict Warriors and Balthus got too aggressive killing them to free him up. As the Overlord, I took the opportunity to weaken Balthus with the Sabre-tooth tiger and then I finished him off with Pict Archers. Unfortunately, I lost the tiger in the process. The conclusion was epic, and I had a chance to win on the final turn by killing the final two guards with 3 archers - but I missed with all 3 shots. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This scenario is excellent. I played this last night as the OL and just missed out in killing the last guard. I lost my tiger after 4 turns but not before she killed 4 guards. The rest I killed using the Pict archers, but it required a few re-rolls. I missed out on killing the last guard because a Pict warrior was prevented from moving into his area by Balthus who was standing in the way. If the warrior was one space closer I would have a chance to kill the last guard and win the game.

One thing I noted was that Balthus' archery skills are great. He killed a large number of Picts and even though I managed to reinforce a few times. It took a while for them to move into the centre where the guard was located. 

The tiger was killed by Conan and Slasher. Conan did 5 damage and Slasher did the rest. That dog is tough.

As OL I will use the tiger as much as possible early, because the heroes will probably try and kill her quickly. She is the only creature that can easily kill the guards, the picts require good dice rolls and the use of re-rolls. The archers should be used to kill the guards in the middle of the village and the other Picts used to kill guards closer to the edge. I will move guards toward the centre as soon as possible.

• Like 4

Agreed. The Sabertooth is surprisingly underpowered. Considering its description in Beyond the Black River I would have expected more. It doesn't even have any skills. I would have given it evade or feline grace at a minimum. Compare it to Conan's Lion, which is just a normal lion after all.

As mentioned use it early before it is killed.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I might be missing something, but I find this scenario extremely hard to win for the OL. Once the tiger is down, it is almost impossible to hurt Slasher (only on double six with hunters and archers). And if Slasher hides in a hut with a guards and sacrifices with his insane defense 3 to any incoming attack, it is effectively game over. Of course, it it possible to kill him with double sixes (i.e. 4dmg attack), but it is very random and/or require huge amount of OL gems for rerolls. Especially if Conan and Balthus control the spaces, from where it can be shot into the Slashers hut.

I usually do my best to kill Slasher with the tiger asap, but when I fail I am never able to win as OL.

Any advice?

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2017 at 12:37 PM, Zubor said:

Once the tiger is down, it is almost impossible to hurt Slasher (only on double six with hunters and archers).

It is difficult, but the Overlord has lots of gems in the scenario, which can be used for rerolls to get the required results. It is also worth remembering that if Slasher uses its Sacrifice skill, it cannot Guard for that defence.

Edited by Ossessione
  • Like 2