Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

@Arthadan I put there the rules you propose in an other post about the management of mounts in the game !

A big post proposed rules about this on the french forum but the Arthadan synthesis seems good enough for our goal: playing to the battle of the mounds !

Some Ideas were proposed  here (but in french) !

Mounted Warriors

Units

They have two tiles: Mounted tile (more movement and better melee attack) and Infantry (normal). They must be of different color as they represent different profiles. While mounted they belong to the Mounted tile.

If when Mounted  they suffer the loss of 2+ life points, they are killed

If when Mounted they suffer the loss of 1 life point, they are Dismounted (see below) and they change the color of their base (they  'swap' units belonging now to the Infantry tile).

Lieutenants

They also have two tiles. one Mounted and one on Foot.

They are Dismounted when they suffer at least the loss of 2 life points in a single melee attack.

Dismounted: When character that has been Dismounted as a consequence of an attack, place the miniature liying down on the board. This has the following consequences:

- The character cannot attack

- The character can defend normally

- Any melee attack against the character has an elevation bonus dice :jaune:

- The character will need to spend 1 movement point to stand up.

- Once dismounted cannot mount again (the horse is assumed to run away)

Note: below some concept cards that could be adapted for our need and that can be used for inspiration !

Cheval (in french) = horse

Destrier (in french) = steed

REXOR (in french) = Rexor

Surplomb (in french) = overhang

destrier.jpg.53df9abd36ba0774947e87a97d48444c.jpg

Rexor_png_23886cab1fc9d0d91196a82c81f946f1.png

Rexor_t_png_84d0bb40ffa854a51fab8b91b09ef4e0.png

Rexor_t2_png_04104b8fa7e374396234d1e18854a411.png

token_monture.png.5bef36573a2c7c046f6934758b6297a2.png

tuilecheval.jpg.2d8a4eef476f9845b42b59ae911bb727.jpg

tuilecheval2.jpg.e9c33f001cb2066e77221854db4a1263.jpg

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

The tile for Rexor is very nice!

Is this token intended to be put under a miniature to indicate on the boardgame that it's  mounted?

token_monture.png.5bef36573a2c7c046f6934758b6297a2.png

On the french forum it was used only as a proposal to indicate that a horse is waiting a rider on the map ! But we can do what we want !

In fact, I have fun to do some conversion of riders for the battle of the mounds!

At the same time,  @Arthadan that is a real fan would like to create his own miniatures to play with the right character and would like to offer to the fan to print by themselves their own ones! (I hope he will succeed ! :dwarf:)

But both solutions are quite long and expensive ...

So to avoid that all the community of the "Conan the Barbarian" fans become completely broke and wait too much time, we decided last evening to do our best at short term to allow everyone to play with the basic material of the core box! And in the future we will improve the miniatures to be used for the "Conan the Barbarian" adventures by 3D printable miniatures (or conversion...but be quiet @Arthadan does not like to hear this ! :wink:) !

So as you asked and thought maybe this token (or an adapted one)  could be used to represent mounted warriors with some miniatures from the core box in the next few days !

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Florentin said:

In fact, I have fun to do some conversion of riders for the battle of the mounds!

At the same time,  @Arthadan that is a real fan would like to create his own miniatures to play with the right character and would like to offer to the fan to print by themselves their own ones! (I hope he will succeed ! :dwarf:

Can't wait to see them....:ohmy:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Sure, but a horse shouldn't be so useful in such a battlefield, that's why I guess they could have chosen this terrain and fortified it in Milius film.

But maybe a use on a short distance for an heroïc action could be fun : jumping on a horse,  gallop on few meters, chop off, from his horse,  some doom's soldiers heads before jumping on a Thorgrim on foot ! 😜

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 9:27 AM, Arthadan said:

I had the chance to meet @Florentin yesterday (a real pleasure!) and take a look at the map and it's amazing!

We're getting closer to a first release!

We still need some tiles:

Rexor: illustration nearly done, stats done.

Fang of Set (feel free to propose another name) : heavy masked warriors from the Mountain of Power (nothing done)

Mounted versions of Thulsa Doom, Rexor, Thorgrim and the soldiers (got screen shoots for TD and R, needed for the rest).

Akiro : got everything, just need my computer to make the tile.

Regarding the map, we need:

- zone division (Florentin already made a proposition for this).

-improve some textures.

And then the scenario itself. I already have quite a few ideas I've been disclosing, we'll have to see if they work out.

I propose to set a deadline to get all this done and deliver a first version of the scenario for playtesting: Christmas 2017.

Keep forging the steel!

Christmas is a seemingly realistic target but should time gt short I'd argue we tear up the deadline and don't compromise on greatness , great execution and playtesting.

Regarding the map I'd say an area twice the size of the current maps has huge benefits so long as the scenario editor can handle the format?

I'd also say the new map would be one of the biggest spin off benefits of the project. (Having all the cards and materials for a stack of iconic friends and foes all ready and waiting for folks to use in future non-movie scenarios and campaigns being the other).

We wouldn't need to enlarge many of the stones etc because the need is for more useable space to run and fight - basically the same features spaced out rather more, this means the extra is mostly desert floor, sandy paths and the odd scrubby bush

I'd also argue for a lot more clever and devoted hard work to break it into two normal sized mapboards that can be combined along more than one edge. Lot of hard work making zoning fit together each way but the prize is this:

Botm_01.thumb.jpg.c18754f1b8dc764e5f3099b521568299.jpg

Consider this map stretched to a landscape rectangle cut into a left and right side. Slide the diagonal colonade to the left enough that it's entirely on that tile and twist it a little so it makes a processional up to the offset hill top left (somewhat enlarged). We already have a large offset hill on the right side board. Put them together as they are - Battle of the mounds.

Rotate the right board180 degrees and bring them back together and you have diagonally opposite hills a natural map for even conflicts where each team has a base to attack from and to retreat to.

Instead this time join the maps along the two edges furthest from the hills and you have an ideal "capture the flag" map with a goal at each end. Or get the thingy from the hill of heroes  all the way across to the mound of madness through a running gauntlet of blocking beasties.

We've a lot of undead in our pledge boxes, and these map boards used singly or in combination are covered in burial mounds both great and small so don't for a second underestimate thier future value for getting those into play. Those pirates need a deserted desert island rich in landmarks to bury thier treasure - tense times what with there being no honour among thieves and that going double for rum soaked sailors or mutinous dogs.

One or both of those hills needs a shadow that could be just cast by that rock or when needed taken to represent an entrance. Then it's diggings of grave robbers (see honour among thieves and raise you a released guardian or a triggered curse ), the weathered entrance to an atlantean tomb, a beast (scorpion anyone?) lair,  a damaged ley line, or a race to stop the sorceror before he digs up the last piece of the staff/girdle/statue of someone darkly famous. Put an altar in the middle of the hill with a stone circle and you have the only place the possessed prince, the gorgeous nymphette or the kicking and screaming demon can be saved from the curse (or finally killed).

That's my two penneth   ;0)    did I mention I love this project?

Again the work it would take to match those edges together is not to be understimated but wow would we have something worth the trouble of printing and mounting properly.

Let's give it a go, none of the hard work already done would be wasted thank goodness, it just needs sliding over, spreading out and the gaps filled in with more desert.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Florentin said:

@Stonewolf please, because my english is not as good as yours and as I have a better visual understanding, could you realize a drawing with a pensil of your wish (and scan it)!

That would be great to better see what you would like !:sorcerer:

Happy to Flor and your english is a lot better than the french I can remember  ;0)

Will put it up tomorrow but really all I was suggesting was to make your map twice as wide, to cut it up the middle and squeeze each map feature so they re  on one of the boards so they're complete and not cut through.

I'll show how the boards might go together each way too

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Florentin said:

A big avantage of a bigger map would be to put the 14 riders at the same time on it!

In a such case, I hope the heroes will be lucky with their dices rolls to get rid of the enemies before to be flooded by them!  😜

Heh' now the favour of the gods on their home field is not to be underestimated

They can't attack if they have 3 friendly horsemen in the way...

Form an orderly queue....   that's why they call them the fangs of the serpent, they form a snake of horsemen 42metres  long

• Like 2

On 23/08/2017 at 10:17 AM, Arthadan said:

VII - The Fangs of the Serpent II

Heroes: Conan, Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom (Mountain of Power Hall)

Inside the halls under the mountain, the warriors must make their way through the Princess and they will come across an unexpected scene. They must seize the Princess and escape. This scenario corresponds to 'the orgy' scene. Yes, I plan to include the 'green soup'.

This, really has grabbed my interest already, and it's only in the early stages!  :smile:

Thing is.  I'd love to contribute to this, but what you see here is about the limits of my capabilities: 

59c316b10dfb3_EyeoftheSerpentIIMap.thumb.png.c7fa9d7f73c11b4a32906e559457c943.png

A loose approxomation of the Mountain of Power Hall/Orgy Chamber, where:  

1. Escape Tunnel
  2. Escape Tunnel
  3. Snake-Head Doom upon dias/throne/seat/etc 
  4. Split Pea & Hand Soup
  5. Four-Faced Pillar
  6. Tunnel to Kitchens
  7. Tunnel to somewhere else
  8. The Princess Yasimina

Which is about the only particular scenario I'm expecting to see: 

59c30b205c375_ThulsaDoom45.thumb.jpg.8f169af28c5dd944395b4dca818e1055.jpg  <-  Halil Ural

59c30af2ae449_ThulsaDoomSC-6.thumb.jpg.713bff52008c7ebd53ab4f1c772dece8.jpg  <-Screencap

59c30b5b6d46a_ThulsaDoom32.thumb.jpg.4d0c61dc5d816084891f6af3f43a7e7d.jpg  <- Mark Schultz?

TD3.thumb.jpg.e3fa799b7d257b8dce3a88200d4aabfc.jpg  <-  Ron Cobb Storyboard? 

In any case, for the Battle of the Mounds Scenario, there is here, with a French Language Version here.  The site itself I find tricky to navigate, and prefer to use Google to grab the pages I'm after, but does have a lot of information and images which could help.  

Edited by Vincent255
Image Recovery
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Vincent255 Thank you very much for this Web adress !  There are a lot of very rare pictures (I have never seen some of them !!!) And very useful for us on our project ! It's à real gift! Thank you very much !:dwarf:

Thank you for your post about the "Fangs of the snake"! For me,  It could be the next step of our aventures because it was one of the best event in the movie...Even if the whole scenes of the movie are "The Best " or "good" !:sorcerer:

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

Hi guys!

I'm back in business. Please give me some days to catch up with all the posts, it's great to see so many people interested and so active!

For now, I'll go on focusing on the remaining tiles needed for Battle on the Mounds. Then we can discuss modifications on the map.

Thanks @Xaltotun for the help with graphics and @jpuglio for the stats.

Rexor_tile.png

Rexor_tile_back.png

Edited by Arthadan
Edited: Leadership skill changed for Support.
  • Like 3