Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

21 minutes ago, Florentin said:

@Arthadan ! What about the activation at the same time of the same unit family (mounted & dismounted) and for only the cost of the mounted tile. This idea was presented in the french forum.

For example in the river, only the mounted tiles of the red Fangs is used (normally they are 5 activated) but as there are 2 that were dismounted the tile of dismounted warriors is present near the river (but not on the river). Thus, when the overlord activated the red Fangs riders both the tiles are activated for only the mounted Fangs tile cost

If not Overlord will have to pay twice for characters that belong at the beginning of the game at the same group...risk to upset the balance of the game!

What are you thinking of this ?

I prefer the idea of having separated tiles with separated colors for Mounted and Dismounted. This will force the Overlord to consider dredging the River or chose carefully which unit to activate. The Mounted units are overpowered (as they should be in my opinion) and I think this drawback will balance them.

Anyway, playtesting will give us the answer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Be careful to not enlarge the map if we do not want to change the place of the battle! In fact in the movie the battle of the mounds occured in a very small area ! The map that I realized respects this to meter-scale tolerance !

map_tile.thumb.png.30c87047ae16a5b9f8401b5691eece82.pngconan00003.thumb.png.312433779d5549f2c6968569c9fb0364.png

If you would like to enlarge the area maybe new spots should be added as the Akiro hut and maybe other mounds and pits...maybe the sea too ?

If we are true to the battle, a monoliths rows must allow to place a horse base between them (lion or tiger base) and a person should be able to move between monoliths of the same row. 

I think if we resize the map, say a 30% bigger will still look true to the movie and we can have bigger zones for horses.  However you gotthe printed version, so you know better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I prefer the idea of having separated tiles with separated colors for Mounted and Dismounted. This will force the Overlord to consider dredging the River or chose carefully which unit to activate. The Mounted units are overpowered (as they should be in my opinion) and I think this drawback will balance them.

Anyway, playtesting will give us the answer.

We will see ! Both could be tested!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

If we are true to the battle, a monoliths rows must allow to place a horse base between them (lion or tiger base) and a person should be able to move between monoliths of the same row. 

I think if we resize the map, say a 30% bigger will still look true to the movie and we can have bigger zones for horses.  However you gotthe printed version, so you know better.

I was writing the same... as you can see

• Like 1

I have just finished to stick the 14 riders of doom and I take few minutes to share them with you!:dwarf:

Some are not yet finished like the banner bringer (I'm trying to overcome the green stuff to try to do the Thulsa Doom banner but it is  quite difficult), and some riders maybe will be replaced by new conversions if possible (mainly to represent Fangs of doom that are not yet represented).

As you can see a small death dealer has just done is apparition in the hounds just for fun...not certain he will stay to attack Conan and his friends  !:sorcerer:

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 5

What about 3D maps without area for "Conan the Barbarian" ?

One guy already think about this on the french forum: see this

If some of you are interested by the initiative I can try to translate the file ! 

This would give an alternative to the drawing map and could be more immersive! If so, purpose would be to indicate how to make the map ! Maybe with the help of those that usually do such beautiful things! 

Thus, the both ways of play could exist! 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 3

MAP

I'm fine with releasing the map with and without zones, but I think the scenario should be made using the standard version with zones. It can be adapted to in a later stage, but that would be a different project and I can't commit to that. The campaign is ambitious enough as it is.

MOUNTED TILES

I think lieutenants should lose some skills when mounted. I'd remove :fascination: as his persuasive talking and hypnotic gaze should be hard to use from the saddle.

Thorgrim would lose :bloqueur: And Rexor :circulaire:.

Thoughts?

FANGS OF SET

I have to make the different color tiles and I'm thinking to make a small variant, adding the :allonge: skill to represent warriors on foot fighting with a spear, I'll keep the original tile without that skill for the Battle of the Mounds scenario to represent the Dismounted warriors with hand weapons like swords and axes. Each scenario will indicate the correct tile to use.

• Like 2

I understand your point of view @Arthadan! Nevertheless, I think that the both projects could be lead together because it would not imply the same people with the same experience! Thus,

a graphical skill is required for the map in 2D but not for the 3D.

It is sad to not use the skills of some "Conan the Barbarian" fans only because the first project is not yet finished ! i.e. @Stonewolf...

Moreover some progress on one project could help the other one! 

To my own experience things could be managed at the same time! :sorcerer:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I understand your point of view @Arthadan! Nevertheless, I think that the both projects could be lead together because it would not imply the same people with the same experience! Thus,

a graphical skill is required for the map in 2D but not for the 3D.

It is sad to not use the skills of some "Conan the Barbarian" fans only because the first project is not yet finished ! i.e. @Stonewolf...

Moreover some progress on one project could help the other one! 

To my own experience things could be managed at the same time! :sorcerer:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting to actually create a 3D map, right?

But then, should anybody wanting to play make their own 3D map? That would limit the number of potential players for sure...

• Like 2

I agree with @Arthadan: the idea of a 3d game could be very interesting and could also correct some points of the rules I personally don't like much, but it will reduce the number of people who'd play the game (not everyone enjoys in playing 3d games with the ruler...): we work here to create scenarios we can share together with people who like this Monolith game; sure, there are some changes, but basically it's always Conan by Monolith.

Moreover, in my opinion, it's best to create first a regular Conan scenario and then the campaign, keeping the concentration on a single project a time; that's why I gave up my original project to recreate scenarios from Howard's books... one at a time.

I guess that, once this first scenario is complete and tested, it will be great to work on a 3d version: you need a solid building first, then you can improve it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

MOUNTED TILES

I think lieutenants should lose some skills when mounted. I'd remove :fascination: as his persuasive talking and hypnotic gaze should be hard to use from the saddle.

I agree about Thorgrim, Rexor and the Fangs, but if you remove Fascination from (mounted) Doom.... why don't the heroes attack Doom as soon as they can to win the scenario? The Overlord too could feel himself forced to leave some minis on his defence. So the attacker and the defender would swap their role.
Don't you think?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

2 ideas for mounted combat:

1) It should be possible to charge: I mean to move for less than 4 areas, give a shock and move to the remaining areas.

The shock could be a single regular attack (with no reroll!), with a limited number of gems for the heroes to use.... or a different kind of attack?

Remember the medieval use of the cavalry... and Hyborian Age seems to know the stirrup use, unlike the historical ancient world.

Moreover:

-In case of charging from the hill a figure could have some bonus;

-no charge possible between the monoliths and barricades obviously.

Charge.thumb.jpg.581ff2c662b1974f78f435478c5c25c4.jpg

2) [I'm not so sure of this] Using a spear against a mounted knight couldn't be of any (further) benefit?

What do you think?

A question:

"they are Dismounted (see below) and they change the color of their base (they 'swap' units, belonging now to the Dismounted tile)."... So, is the Overlord using both tiles at the same time for warriors? Some of them will be still mounted, while others are unhorsed at the same time...

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 11:03 PM, Stonewolf said:

Christmas is a seemingly realistic target but should time gt short I'd argue we tear up the deadline and don't compromise on greatness , great execution and playtesting.

Regarding the map I'd say an area twice the size of the current maps has huge benefits so long as the scenario editor can handle the format?

I'd also say the new map would be one of the biggest spin off benefits of the project. (Having all the cards and materials for a stack of iconic friends and foes all ready and waiting for folks to use in future non-movie scenarios and campaigns being the other).

We wouldn't need to enlarge many of the stones etc because the need is for more useable space to run and fight - basically the same features spaced out rather more, this means the extra is mostly desert floor, sandy paths and the odd scrubby bush

I'd also argue for a lot more clever and devoted hard work to break it into two normal sized mapboards that can be combined along more than one edge. Lot of hard work making zoning fit together each way but the prize is this:

Botm_01.thumb.jpg.c18754f1b8dc764e5f3099b521568299.jpg

Consider this map stretched to a landscape rectangle cut into a left and right side. Slide the diagonal colonade to the left enough that it's entirely on that tile and twist it a little so it makes a processional up to the offset hill top left (somewhat enlarged). We already have a large offset hill on the right side board. Put them together as they are - Battle of the mounds.

Rotate the right board180 degrees and bring them back together and you have diagonally opposite hills a natural map for even conflicts where each team has a base to attack from and to retreat to.

Instead this time join the maps along the two edges furthest from the hills and you have an ideal "capture the flag" map with a goal at each end. Or get the thingy from the hill of heroes  all the way across to the mound of madness through a running gauntlet of blocking beasties.

We've a lot of undead in our pledge boxes, and these map boards used singly or in combination are covered in burial mounds both great and small so don't for a second underestimate thier future value for getting those into play. Those pirates need a deserted desert island rich in landmarks to bury thier treasure - tense times what with there being no honour among thieves and that going double for rum soaked sailors or mutinous dogs.

One or both of those hills needs a shadow that could be just cast by that rock or when needed taken to represent an entrance. Then it's diggings of grave robbers (see honour among thieves and raise you a released guardian or a triggered curse ), the weathered entrance to an atlantean tomb, a beast (scorpion anyone?) lair,  a damaged ley line, or a race to stop the sorceror before he digs up the last piece of the staff/girdle/statue of someone darkly famous. Put an altar in the middle of the hill with a stone circle and you have the only place the possessed prince, the gorgeous nymphette or the kicking and screaming demon can be saved from the curse (or finally killed).

That's my two penneth   ;0)    did I mention I love this project?

Again the work it would take to match those edges together is not to be understimated but wow would we have something worth the trouble of printing and mounting properly.

Let's give it a go, none of the hard work already done would be wasted thank goodness, it just needs sliding over, spreading out and the gaps filled in with more desert.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:44 PM, Florentin said:

@Stonewolf please, because my english is not as good as yours and as I have a better visual understanding, could you realize a drawing with a pensil, for me,  of your wish (and scan it) ?

That would be great to better see what you would like !:sorcerer:

Just a quick note as I'm not supposed to be up and around

My idea for the map split into two normal sized boards was like this (and forgive the stretchy/messy/butchery of fine artwork please!)

For the battle of the mounds

Board 1                                                                                       Board 2

59ca7db6118a5_part1.jpg.fe7081dc40e5c9b9c3f7273fcaeaf126.jpg  59ca7db91951f_Part2.jpg.33f952e0de74d2848323c6f78d6616ae.jpg

Stones more spread out on board1 to allow fighting in and around them, board 2 has a hill for Doom to stand on

Diagonally opposite bases for equal battles    Second combination for open equal battles

59ca7db6118a5_part1.jpg.fe7081dc40e5c9b9c3f7273fcaeaf126.jpg  59ca7e99f31a5_Part2a.jpg.26004b618251a548a1a391d7f0b5c6e7.jpg

Third use with hill/bases at opposite ends with fighting ground in between

59ca7ed46d7a7_part1a.jpg.cf0a289f4661a6d8a7a9ac67bf20f836.jpg  59ca7fe23572b_Part2b.jpg.0c0ece3a811ad1709b797a2c95ee8482.jpg

Sorry I didn't get the maps the same size but have to go back to bed as wife is hating me being up to "check my emails"

Great work and if the map can be split and area around the stones enlarged that would be awesome

If board edge zoning could be made to merge in several different orientations then we have a huge scenario builder resource AS A BONUS!

speak to you guys soon, cards and counters look great!

• Like 2