Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

2 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I would add an option for those who would like to live the same scene than in conan !

Subotai had not infinite arrows and no more quiver because he ran a lot!

Easy rules: 10 arrows tokens are put on the map in different area. Ex.: 3 in the same area. Thus, Subotai could shot but only 3 times in the area with a bow...

That could be a variation, once the scenario is released, but I think I'll stick to the standard rules here because we have already too many special rules.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I would add an option for those who would like to live the same scene than in conan !

Subotai had not infinite arrows and no more quiver because he ran a lot!

Easy rules: 10 arrows tokens are put on the map in different area. Ex.: 3 in the same area. Thus, Subotai could shot but only 3 times in the area with a bow...

I generally agree with @Arthadan point of view about not increasing game rules (not too much, ok), but we could prepare some cards with arrows on it, each referred to a single token with arrows too. So the hero will have the new regular card and we  have introduced only a small variation.

I like this idea @Florentin

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

I think the easiest way should be change the OL object in: Kill Conan & Subotai; if Thorgrim and Rexor die, kill Yasmina.

This is the best way to keep on focusing on the movie. Many Doom riders arrove on the battlefield from the mound where the princess is tied, but never stop or dismount to free her: it seems that their primar order is to kill the two 'hosts'...

And what's Doom attack? I guess it's a punish expedition. 'He'll see the smoke and come to kill you', cried Yasmina...

Could it be working?

So, I'd change the OL first Object, but I'll keep the traps... like @Arthadan purpose: no remote control for the heroes: please, don't ask what I was thinking of 😰

I'll do that, but I want to introduce the standard somehow. 

Ideas? Extend Rexor Leadership skill to adjacente areas?

• Like 1

Maybe I could help with my recent quite experience with the movie...

The standard bearer rides besides Doom and arrives in battle always beside him. After Rexor dies, we watch at Doom alone.... where is he?

If you rewind you can see that: he passing gallopping beyond thorgrim, spied by conan, before the Huge Hammer is banged on his poor head 

Spoiler

😥

So, why don't use it to increase some value or the units inside some areas?

Or to give bonus to all the units who could look directly to him (same way to throw arrows)

Whay do you think?

(personally I prefer the second option)

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Maybe I could help with my recent quite experience with the movie...

The standard bearer rides besides Doom and arrives in battle always beside him. After Rexor dies, we watch at Doom alone.... where is he?

If you rewind you can see that he passing gallopping behond thorgrim, spied by conan, before the is banged on his poor head

So, why dont use it to increase some value or the units inside some areas?

Or to give bonus to all the units who could look directly to him (same way to throw arrows)

Whay do you think?

To keep things easy, it will grantthe Leadership skill to a Fang, but it needs a downside as well when he's killed. Maybe rolling :orangerel: and that would be the number of Fanfgs retreating?

5 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

To keep things easy, it will grantthe Leadership skill to a Fang, but it needs a downside as well when he's killed. Maybe rolling :orangerel: and that would be the number of Fanfgs retreating?

So, you see the standard like 'rally card' (some of you remind Dixie) to /rally armies in his areas?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

I generally agree with @Arthadan point of view about not increasing game rules (not too much, ok), but we could prepare some cards with arrows on it, each referred to a single token with arrows too. So the hero will have the new regular card and we  have introduced only a small variation.

I like this idea @Florentin

Thanks ! Maybe we can put this rules in a chapter at the end of the scenario called "To live the real "Conan the Barbarian" epic battle"!

They could be additional rules that could be used by those who want to live again the battle where Conan and his friends fought !:dwarf:

So, the people that don't want to see too much update could avoid them at first sight!

• Like 2

Yes, the standard of Set has 2 functions: help ro find always Doom in battle, and more is a moral boost , yes!

I think that, keeping in his seight, Fangs of Set and Leaders too could be affected by a bonus: either +1, or :jaunerel: or even a  :jaune:.

Furthermore, in the same areas where Doom is, Stanrdard can recall immediately all fangs and leaders to defend him,  regardless of hindering (giving the +1 in movements if they are dismointed, but on its line of seigh).

What do you think?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

It would be great to put all the additionnal rules in a document at the end !

It would be easy to read them, if not it could be quite complex to read all the pages of this post!:sorcerer:

Moreover, it Would be easier for me to have access to the whole rules in a same place, if I should translate them in french !

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

Just now, Xaltotun said:

Yes, the standard of Set has 2 functions: help ro find always Doom in battle, and more is a moral boost , yes!

I think that, keeping in his seight, Fangs of Set and Leaders too could be affected by a bonus: either +1, or :jaunerel: or even a  :jaune:.

Furthermore, in the same areas where Doom is, Stanrdard can recall immediately all fangs and leaders to defend him,  regardless of hindering (giving the +1 in movements if they are dismointed, but on its line of seight.

What do you think?

This seems like a good idea to me.  

6 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Thanks ! Maybe we can put this rules in a chapter at the end of the scenario called "To live the real "Conan the Barbarian" epic battle"!

They could be additional rules that could be used by those who want to live again the battle where Conan and his friends fought !:dwarf:

So, the people that don't want to see too much update could avoid them at first sight!

One idea I've been thinking about from the comments so far regarding the rules.  

Would there be anything wrong with making the game available with two settings?  

As in:  Standard Rules; And Expert Rules?  

Standard being exactly that, while Expert would add things like Ammo Limits?  

Would this work?  Or could it cause too many problems to go with it?  

• Like 3

@Florentin the scenario will be released using the template to make it as close as possible to the official material. So, yes, all the rules will be compiled in a single document.

DIFFERENT SCENARIO VERSIONS

I'd rather make a single scenario, trying to find balance between playability and fidelity to the film. Different versions would mean separated playtesting and more work polishing balance for each, which I'm not willing to assume. Of course once released, feel free to play around with it changing things, but I won't be involved, as I prefer to focus on the campaign.

Edited by Arthadan

ARROWS

Since missile weapons will be a great advantage in board bigger than the official size and you lot prefer the limited arrow approach, I'll go that way. Throwing weapons like javelins will have a limited range (probably as many areas as symbols obtained in the attack roll) ,  and missile weapons will have no range limitation.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:47 PM, Arthadan said:

A little surprise, another campaing card:

And this is the text:

The idea is that there will be 10 areas marked with skeletons miniatures and before the game starts the Heroes will chose what to place in each. The options will be:

- Item (5 areas out of 10): when a hero is in one of these areas, he can draw a card from the Asset Deck with a simple manipulation. When the item is picked, the skeleton is removed.

- Trap (3 areas out of 10): with the effect described above. When the trap comes into play, the skeleton is removed. 

- Nothing (2 areas out of 10): this areas act as a decoy, because the OL need to approach them catiously because they could be traps. The skeleton is removed after the first Ol character enters the area.

Thoughts?

trap.png

Valeria_back.png

I love this!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2017 at 10:26 PM, Arthadan said:

. To determine if the character has
been lucky enough to land on his feet, roll a:jaune: with a result of 2 symbols no further consequences will happen, otherwise the character is Knocked Out (see below).

Sorry: I've been very busy at work in the last days 😓

I'm I'm not sure about this rule: I guess it's very difficult that a knight in battle could fall on his own feet, being unhorsed after a shock, expecially if it's fully armored. Don't you think?

I guess he should be knocked out.

The other 'difficult' step would be defending when knocked out... normal defending? No penalty?

these are my doubts about the rules. By the way, I like much the rest!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arthadan said:

DIFFERENT SCENARIO VERSIONS

I'd rather make a single scenario, trying to find balance between playability and fidelity to the film. Different versions would mean separated playtesting and more work polishing balance for each, which I'm not willing to assume. Of course once released, feel free to play around with it changing things, but I won't be involved, as I prefer to focus on the campaign.

I can understand your point of view, and, though I'd like the idea of having advanced rules, I'd first prefer to test this scenario at best and then going on to second scenario... helping @Arthadan... as long as he wants my contribute 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

- rules for the standard. I think having to check line of Sight to the standard with all every OL's characters will be too slow. Perhaps something quicker and easier?

Let me explain better this idea: I don't think it will slow down too much the game.

-remember the Overlord and heroes first will make their own strategies considering this bonus/malus in attacking, and from opposite sides they will take care of it... "oooops!.. you didn't? Sorry mr. Cimmerian!".

-I don't think areas will be too many to check: remember that only the white circles at the center of each area will be checked. So, basically, you can check the range mentally, while the other players make their moves (that's the time I plan my horrible and most cruel moves 😈). We must take care on where to put those circles on the map!

-Further, the players should verify it eventually only in case the standard must apply its effects on that area in that moment.

-then, if the OL doesn't move the standard, no need to recheck the range.

-and finally, that could obly the Overlord to eventually move the standard (like in the movie) and the heroes to attract enemies far from it. So, more strategy!...

This mechanism sounds bit interesting to me. Don't know what you think. I hope I have explained it well.

Obviously, game tests are necessary to check this rule.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

I can understand your point of view, and, though I'd like the idea of having advanced rules, I'd first prefer to test this scenario at best and then going on to second scenario... helping @Arthadan... as long as he wants my contribute 😉

7 hours ago, Matt John S said:

@Arthadan Wow! This is an ambitious project. Excllent work all around, y'all. I've been buried in other work post-ks, but I'm loving what I'm seeing. I'm hoping to catch up with what everyone is doing soon. 

In order there is not a misunderstanding: this a team work (a fellowship without any ring I hope) not a project managed by only one person! 

The project was borne on the french forum for ages  and a lot of fans contribued to it!

Thus, I would like in the future that decisions still to be discussed and validated by all the fellowship before to be considered as the right direction even if @Arthadan and others are active, the advices of all 82's movie fans are as important as the active guys!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

@FlorentinSorry if my choice of words wasn't the most fortunate. Of course this is a collaborative effort and I see myself as another team member and  perhaps coordinator, nothing more.

But as a team member I have the right to chose to work on whatever parts of the project I'm more interested.

Simply put, I wasn't banishing the possibility of advanced rules (nor do I feel myself entitled to take any kind of unilateral decisions like that), just saying I prefer to devote my time to work on another parts. If another team member is interested in exploring that possibility, go ahead and share!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

Sorry: I've been very busy at work in the last days 😓

I'm I'm not sure about this rule: I guess it's very difficult that a knight in battle could fall on his own feet, being unhorsed after a shock, expecially if it's fully armored. Don't you think?

I guess he should be knocked out.

The other 'difficult' step would be defending when knocked out... normal defending? No penalty?

these are my doubts about the rules. By the way, I like much the rest!

I suggest restrict the roll for landing on your feet. Only characters with the Feline Grace skill are allowed to roll. Of course this will have no impact for the scenario, but makes more generic a reusable the Mounted Combat rules.

About defending when knocked out, the attacker already has an extra :jaune:. This is about the same of giving a disadvantage to the defender. But I think is vital knocking out characters can defend if Conan and Subotai are supposed to have a chance of surviving the scenario.

Thoughts?