Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

@Xaltotun what a terrific job!

For the first time, the number of riders has increased by 4! To my mind, they were only 14! I counted them when they arrived and Subotaï looked at them!

I think heroes will have no chance to survive if the overlord was not forced to launched his riders through the monoliths! 

And if the Overlord reinforcement points were conditions by tactic or number of riders passed by a specific area? How to balance the game...

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

I worked yesterday on the map & began to draw the areas! I think you should have something this night!

Moreover I'm going to begin to identify miniatures to use to play the game with only the core box and maybe with cardbord characters tokens with the two same faces ! Thus @Arthadan I would need the pictures on your tiles to do this ! Or you can do this if you prefer?

Easier to do & faster to have to begin to work on the scenario mechanisms than conversions and 3D modeling that is the ultimate goal ! :dwarf:

Moreover,  concerning 3D modeling I Wonder if it could not be cheaper for the groups of vilain to use already existing miniatures (gamesworkshop for example) and make sculpt only heads, then shields & weapons and finally armor?

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Florentin said:

I worked yesterday on the map & began to draw the areas! I think you should have something this night!

Moreover I'm going to begin to identify miniatures to use to play the game with only the core box and maybe with cardbord characters tokens with the two same faces ! Thus @Arthadan I would need the pictures on your tiles to do this ! Or you can do this if you prefer?

Easier to do & faster to have to begin to work on the scenario mechanisms than conversions and 3D modeling that is the ultimate goal ! :dwarf:

Moreover,  concerning 3D modeling I Wonder if it could not be cheaper for the groups of vilain to use already existing miniatures (gamesworkshop for example) and make sculpt only heads, then shields & weapons and finally armor?

Everything depends on how true you want to be to the film. There are no miniatures that are a good match for the film, they'll be proxies at best.

Making just heads and weapons would limit the potential players to those with conversions skills, and I'd rather make miniatures people can use straight out of the box. Anyway I wonder how many people would invest in mounted miniatures for a single scenario.

For the first version of the scenario, I'd use the game guards miniatures, with color rings matching the tile borders to tell them apart, (green for Fangs, for example, blue for Riders of Doom, etc).

All players will need to buy or make is round bases of the right diameter (camel size) to mount them on. This way we keep it easy and accessible for everyone.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Everything depends on how true you want to be to the film. There are no miniatures that are a good match for the film, they'll be proxies at best.

Making just heads and weapons would limit the potential players to those with conversions skills, and I'd rather make miniatures people can use straight out of the box. Anyway I wonder how many people would invest in mounted miniatures for a single scenario.

For the first version of the scenario, I'd use the game guards miniatures, with color rings matching the tile borders to tell them apart, (green for Fangs, for example, blue for Riders of Doom, etc).

All players will need to buy or make is round bases of the right diameter (camel size) to mount them on. This way we keep it easy and accessible for everyone.

But how to manage dismounted Characters... I'm lost!

53 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Fairly easy!

Just remove the big mount base and use the normal foot miniature on top of it.

Ah ok ! I understand! Thank you!

It is less beautiful than riders cardbord tokens but easy to do: an oval carboard with a circle hole! 

I'm not concerned because I have conversions and foot troopers...The only thing I know it is that each elements of a game must be beautiful to create the desire to play! In any cases, I need this, do not know if others are like me? 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Ah ok ! I understand! Thank you!

It is less beautiful than riders cardbord tokens but easy to do: an oval carboard with a circle hole! 

I'm not concerned because I have conversions and foot troopers...The only thing I know it is that each elements of a game must be beautiful to create the desire to play! In any cases, I need this, do not know if others are like me? 

Of course the game is more appealing with proper miniatures. For the first version I can make something similar to the big horse token made in the French forum :

token_monture.png.5bef36573a2c7c046f6934758b6297a2.png.0185a3a3cbadd06b1209d401e066538b.png

I'll simply remove all the icons, add the unit name and make variants with different border colors, matching the tiles. That would do for the first version.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Of course the game is more appealing with proper miniatures. For the first version I can make something similar to the big horse token made in the French forum :

token_monture.png.5bef36573a2c7c046f6934758b6297a2.png.0185a3a3cbadd06b1209d401e066538b.png

I'll simply remove all the icons, add the unit name and make variants with different border colors, matching the tiles. That would do for the first version.

This is a good idea but with an oval and not a circle! Don't want to go to bed, once again,  at 5:00 am next week-end because of the too short spaces between monoliths on the map!

Edited by Florentin
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Florentin said:

This is a good idea but with an oval and not a circle! Don't want to go to bed, once again,  at 5:00 am next week-end because of the short spaces between monoliths on the map!

Sounds familiar, but with tiles :sacrifice:

The game uses only round bases and closest thing to a horse we have, which is the camel, uses round bases as well. I'm nearly done with tiles so I'll be able to work on the map soon, if you want to.

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

Sounds familiar, but with tiles :sacrifice:

The game uses only round bases and closest thing to a horse we have, which is the camel, uses round bases as well. I'm nearly done with tiles so I'll be able to work on the map soon, if you want 

That doesn't matter that horses are not on  circles because mounts don't exist in Conan core game!

Camels are items and not mounts! So feel free: no rules so no constraints!

And even if rules existed, if they were worse, we are enough intelligent to change them!  We can choose what we want because we are free to do what we want!

Besides, Conan the Barbarian is not in the Conan core box!!! My purpose is to live the aventures of Conan the Barbarian with a lot of fun not to do a pure extension of the Monolith game because that could generate some constraints that could get rid of the fun that I'm looking for! And circles are going to kill the fun ! 

Moreover, I enlarged the map as much as possible, enlarge it more will make it looks like at everything but not to the map of the movie!  

I think it is good to  modify the map once again for good reason but not for this reason:  to allow big circles to move between the monoliths! This is Conan the Barbarian not Pac-Man!

A big map that should look like to a specific scene of a movie is not easy to modify as you could think! 

Imagine 18 circles on the map if heroes have no chance with their dices rolls...The heroes would end up sat on the monoliths: a kind of torture in old hyperborean kingdoms, I suppose! 

Circles are useful when you have some information to add as in the wizkids games or for hudge miniatures in Starwars mini or imperial assault (for example for Nexus). Thus, in Conan, circles are for elephants or Mammoths not for horses! Furthermore, Gamesworkshop knows this and uses ovals because they are  better than circles for horses move on Skirmish maps! Already, in the old wargames rectangles were used for horses but not circles (or in very rare cases), so if we are considering all these elements  we should use ovals for horses or specific cardboard riders!

Thus, could you send me the pictures of bad guys you used for your mounted tiles @Arthadan I would like to do some tests!

Thank you very much! 

• Like 1

I will watch the battle again, its been a long time, and see what I can think of.

Perhaps my skill could be used as something that the spirits of the mounds bestow upon the heroes as part of Akiro's plea for help from them, maybe part of a set of skills/blessings/aid from the spirits.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Florentin said:

A link towards à very good idea to balance the "battle of the mounds" ! Thank you @Primeval!:dwarf:

@Florentin we already have tokens with the exact item for each area. So we don't have a random Asset deck and we cannot apply that rule. And the heroes place the tokens wherever they want at the start of the game, so they already have every advantage regarding equipment. 

Edited by Arthadan

Pending things with tiles:

- Chose a name for the "Temple Guards"

- Chose an illustration among the two propposed.

- Add reinforcement cost to the tile.

MAP

I've compared this shot with our map (I've rotated the map so we have the same point of view):

conan00003.png.88799e34be03b03fd23f9d1dfc10390f.pngmap1.jpg

Now, I can be wrong, but I think there are a few details we could change. Making a quick sketch, I've came up with this:

Probably, the mound where the Princess is tied should a bit more to the left.

@Florentin what do you think?

map2.jpg

Edited by Arthadan

On 11/10/2017 at 12:37 AM, Arthadan said:

Also, I have a first draft for the intro text of the scenario:

Comments?

I think that @Florentin propose is maybe bit closer to the original: in some scenes you can see the princess tied frontside from the monoliths.

Anyway, if possible, I'd add all the remaining part of mound with the altar.

Temple guards tile: in case you prefer the first one, the horse leg need a small correction, I guess.

It'd be good to find if in Cobb's ideas Doom's men had different names.

No idea about reinforcement cost... sorry. How many grms would you assing to the OL? Consider this is a final scenario, so he could have more, gained with experience...

Edited by Xaltotun

5 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

1) I think that @Florentin proposeis closer to the original: in some scenes you can see the princess tied frontside from the monoliths.

Anyway, if possible I'd add all the remaining part of mound with the altar.

2) Temple guards tile: in case you prefer the first one, the horse leg need a small correction, I guess.

3) It'd be good to find if in Cobb's ideas Doom's men had different names.

4) No idea about reinforcement cost... sorry. How many grms would you assing to the OL? Consider this is a final scenario, so he could have more, gained with experience...

1) I'll check out the battle again, could that shot was missleading.

2) I'm liking best the second. What do you think?

3) Yes, but no idea where to find it.

4) i guess 2 would be ok.

8 hours ago, Arthadan said:

@Florentin we already have tokens with the exact item for each area. So we don't have a random Asset deck and we cannot apply that rule. And the heroes place the tokens wherever they want at the start of the game, so they already have every advantage regarding equipment. 

Yes but I don't believe now the game could be balanced without this!  Since we wrote the rule you quoted , the 4 news riders have been appeared! With this new skill, an hero could use the items they placed or a new one that could be better (coming from a card stack to add)! 

I think both rules can be tested and/or the one that would be not used in first scenario placed in expert rules! 

• Like 1