Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

@Xaltotun thank you very much for your wise post !

Thank you @Arthadan for your response !

Thank you @Primeval for your support & help !

I know such projects are risky and work only because the will (of each of us to make it works) exists  !

Often, we have not got the same point of view about things but I think even if it is not easy and sometimes frustrating that allows the project to be so successful and appreciates by the community !

Our strength is to communicate and to be wise!

I think the team is balanced, adult and is fan of "Conan the barbarian"!, and the 3 last posts are the proof of it !

What we are realizing is a dream that I have had since 1982 and I'm convinced now we are sharing the same dream!

I think this project is bigger than us and could become a real success because we are not alone!

Just have a look to the Facebook "Conan gaming group"(near 80 fans have a positive opinion about the project on the "Conan gaming group" on Facebook: here since Arthadan talked about the project last week )!!!

I met @Arthadan when he went in Toulouse (France) there were few weeks ago!

He is a good guy and I spent good time when I discussed with him about the project!

But we have not the same personality! That doesn't matter because the wealth of a team comes from the difference as long as the team communicates and listens.

I know I have always a lot of ideas to improve or expand the game, and that may be a trap to reach goals without delay!

I know @Arthadan wants to do basic & simple choices to allow the scenario to go out fastly and so do not take into consideration the point of views if they are different of his point of view, something that can create sometimes frustration.

What was missing was coordination and vision of the final work, so the guy that is the most bossy takes the lead but to my mind it is not the best way !

I'm for collaborative work with a guy that listens the other and make choice or/and asks for the point of view of the others !

In my real life, I'm managing an Innovation laboratory with a team between 10 & 15 people, I'm managing more than 30 projects ! I work in a collaborative manner and... that works!

I think that you @Xaltotun, as you listen each point of view with respect and consideration, you could manage this project by helping us to make choices, by arbitrating and leading a planning of activity, give actions to everyone!

I do not know if you would like to do this, but to my mind you would be a perfect team leader for the project!

As an example, if you doubt just have a look at your last post! You are the guy for this activity !

Of course @Arthadan, me and maybe @Primeval would be here to help you ! 

Team what are you thinking about this ?

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Picture of the whole map from above, as requested by @Florentin

P71111-200233.thumb.jpg.2d5c0f7e12dfc619627d34a063d3cd39.jpg

Thank you very much @Arthadan !

Hum...map seems wide to be put on a normal table.... That may be cause of trouble...

Nevertheless, it seems to have the good size for the characters, I'm happy of this because I haven't print a map since we met together!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Florentin said:

I know I have always a lot of ideas to improve or expand the game, and that may be a trap to reach goals without delay!

I know @Arthadan wants to do basic & simple choices to allow the scenario to go out fastly and so do not take into consideration the point of views if they are different of his point of view, something that can create sometimes frustration.

What was missing was coordination and vision of the final work, so the guy that is the most bossy takes the lead but to my mind it is not the best way !

I'm for collaborative work with a guy that listens the other and make choice or/and asks for the point of view of the others !

In my real life, I'm managing an Innovation laboratory with a team between 10 & 15 people, I'm managing more than 30 projects ! I work in a collaborative manner and... that works!

I think that you @Xaltotun, as you listen each point of view with respect and consideration, you could manage this project by helping us to make choices, by arbitrating and leading a planning of activity, give actions to everyone!

I do not know if you would like to do this, but to my mind you would be a perfect team leader for the project!

As an example, if you doubt just have a look at your last post! You are the guy for this activity !

Of course @Arthadan, me and maybe @Primeval would be here to help you ! 

Team what are you thinking about this ?

I think we have very different professional backgrounds. I work as an IT Consultant and in my line of work I have to deliver solutions, against the clock most of the time. I'm used to "get things done" under a time constraint and I guess that it shows.

Anyway, I think both approaches are compatible. We can have a "basic & simple" version as a working prototype, with the bare minimum essential elements as a starting point and then polish it to a final stage "(standard" scenario). Once it is made (or perhaps woking on paralell) the "expert" version can be made.

I have assumed the role of team coordinator so far but I have no problem stepping aside if the rest of the team think it will be for the best best, and I also think @Xaltotun would do a great job.

• Like 2

Getting back to rules, I posted this one a while back but got no feedback. I'm going to make the fancy the PDF, so I share it again:

Ranged attacks Optional Rules

These rules are recommended for maps bigger than the official size.

Throwing Weapons Range

Range for throwing weapons will be as many areas as the attack power obtained when using it (same as when throwing an ord but using the Ranged Combat skill). First check if the target is within range, if he is, resolve the attack as usual, otherwise place the card in the area between the attacker and the target as many areas away from the attacker as the power attack. Range for proyectile weapons (bows and such) is unlimited.

Note: when determining range, the attacker own area does not count. 

Limited Ammunition for Proyectile weapons
In some scenarios Heroe smay have a limited number of proyectiles for their ranged weapons such bows. Use the Arrow Token and the Tracker Sheet provided to keep track of the ammunition left for each hero. The starting ammunition will and rules for getting more (if any) will be provided in the scenario.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I think we have very different professional backgrounds. I work as an IT Consultant and in my line of work I have to deliver solutions, against the clock most of the time. I'm used to "get things done" under a time constraint and I guess that it shows.

Anyway, I think both approaches are compatible. We can have a "basic & simple" version as a working prototype, with the bare minimum essential elements as a starting point and then polish it to a final stage "(standard" scenario). Once it is made (or perhaps woking on paralell) the "expert" version can be made.

I have assumed the role of team coordinator so far but I have no problem stepping aside if the rest of the team think it will be for the best best, and I also think @Xaltotun would do a great job.

I know well your Job @Arthadan because I was consultant not in IT but in IT engineering for airlines during 10 years and I should recognize that it was not the funnier years of my life because it is a very time constraint environment where customers do not support delay! So no initiative & innovation are supported in this environment if they generate delay ! Creative people have not their place there if they don't want to be too frustrated!

I think that we (you and me producing) a lot of things in this adventure: tiles, map & hero cards.

@Xaltotun give us some material & advices, he has more time to see the project in its globality and he is a compromise adept, that could be an advantage to avoid too misunderstanding or frustrating situations consequence of our professional skills that are inside us and appear in the Conan the Barbarian project...

In order there is no misunderstanding, you are doing a very good job as team coordinator @Arthadan ! The proof is that we are near ready to deliver a first version very soon (I'm working on the map at present).

I think @Xaltotun could bring a smoothy approach with our help on the project and so ease the reach of the goals in avoiding too much misunderstanding about why something should be realized or not ! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Getting back to rules, I posted this one a while back but got no feedback. I'm going to make the fancy the PDF, so I share it again:

These rules are recommended for maps bigger than the official size.

Throwing Weapons Range

Range for throwing weapons will be as many areas as the attack power obtained when using it (same as when throwing an ord but using the Ranged Combat skill). First check if the target is within range, if he is, resolve the attack as usual, otherwise place the card in the area between the attacker and the target as many areas away from the attacker as the power attack. Range for proyectile weapons (bows and such) is unlimited.

Note: when determining range, the attacker own area does not count. 

Limited Ammunition for Proyectile weapons
In some scenarios Heroe smay have a limited number of proyectiles for their ranged weapons such bows. Use the Arrow Token and the Tracker Sheet provided to keep track of the ammunition left for each hero. The starting ammunition will and rules for getting more (if any) will be provided in the scenario.

I will take a closer look later on and offer ideas and corrections to help out.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Primeval said:

I will take a closer look later on and offer ideas and corrections to help out.

I just made some corrections really, not much to fix. I hope this helps and the rules are clear! Also, the throwing weapons idea is great for larger maps as suggested - nice work!

These rules are recommended for maps bigger than the official size.

Throwing Weapons Range

Range for a throwing weapon will equal the attack power obtained when using it (same as when throwing an orb but using the Ranged Combat skill). First check if the target is within range, if he is, resolve the attack as usual, otherwise place the card in the area between the attacker and the target as many areas away from the attacker as the attack power. Range for projectile weapons (bows and such) is unlimited.

Note: when determining range, the attacker’s  own area does not count.

Limited Ammunition for Projectile weapons

In some scenarios Heroes may have a limited number of projectiles for their ranged weapons such as  bows. Use the Arrow Token and the Tracker Sheet provided to keep track of the ammunition left for each hero. The starting ammunition  and rules for obtaining more (if any) will be provided in the scenario.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Florentin

Everything is great in the map; only to suggestions:

These two place can create generate confusion: it seems there's a triangle area on the left. I know it's a part of 14 area, but can it generate confusion? Maybe not.

Image1.thumb.jpg.b6e522607f090b98f4ac8efe0161658f.jpg

By the way, I'd move the stakes on 86 quite to the left , so the movement below is allowed: infact in the movie some riders arrived using this way from the altar mound to the Yasmina's one, where they are killed by Subotai arrows.

The importance of the stakes you added is forcing to pass through 33 to arrive in 31.

Image3.thumb.jpg.747599d8fa66a36000e06fd0828c3ea8.jpg

Here are the changes I suggest, so you can easily see the borders I modified. I think that for the red marked zone it's a good solution.

Honestly I'm not convinced about the light blue modification... Was it better before?

Image4.thumb.jpg.1097020c79fb6a23f67cff11853fd52a.jpg

What do you think?

Image2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I printed it, I've examinated the map - as you know I'm starting to become maniac of it! - ...this is the result of my first rough tests.

Now the really last thing I want your attention for is the connection between 13 and 14:

Image4.jpg.c0facb765428d536620ffc6bb5e1ca5d.jpg

Is it possible to move from 13 to 14 and back?

Image6.jpg.740dfc882843f67db448d07ec2eabb40.jpg

If so a bit of confusion could be generated, since there are many stakes and it seems there's a strange micro triangle area.

I imagined 2 different solutions:

1) changing the border between 13 and 14

Image2.thumb.jpg.7184594011d01e4d8026352e793a8b76.jpg

2) deleting one stake (I made it roughly and I'm sure @Florentin will do it better):

Image7.jpg.67e81ab6854544940bb5ab6e5f85d6bc.jpg

Not sure and not really convinced... do you also see it as a problem? In case, any other solution?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xaltotun said:

Since I printed it, I've examinated the map - as you know I'm starting to become maniac of it! - ...this is the result of my first rough tests.

Now the really last thing I want your attention for is the connection between 13 and 14:

Image4.jpg.c0facb765428d536620ffc6bb5e1ca5d.jpg

Is it possible to move from 13 to 14 and back?

Image6.jpg.740dfc882843f67db448d07ec2eabb40.jpg

If so a bit of confusion could be generated, since there are many stakes and it seems there's a strange micro triangle area.

I imagined 2 different solutions:

1) changing the border between 13 and 14

Image2.thumb.jpg.7184594011d01e4d8026352e793a8b76.jpg

2) deleting one stake (I made it roughly and I'm sure @Florentin will do it better):

Image7.jpg.67e81ab6854544940bb5ab6e5f85d6bc.jpg

Not sure and not really convinced... do you also see it as a problem? In case, any other solution?

The small areas used by characters on foot to hide following the special rules of the scenario must be between two standing monoliths (at least as the rule is now).

That means we can get rid of areas 66 and 67, which will solve the problem in area 14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rules for the map:

STANDING MONOLITHS
This huge stones block line of sight and block movement except for Flying characters. Moreover, Flying characters can end their movement perching atop one of them ( in this case they will get a yellow dice elevation bonus for their ranged attack versus enemies below).

FALLEN MONOLITHS
Any character can move on a fallen monolith by spending 1 extra movement point. This areas provide an elevation bonus of one yellow dice. Any character in a fallen monolith area may attack a character in an adjacent area with a Melee Attack. These areas do not block line of sight. A character may exit one of these areas with no movement penalty.

PALLISADES/CHEVAUX DE FRISE
Mounted miniatures cannot move in one of these areas, charaters on foot may move in one of these areas by spendinf 2 extra movement points. A character on foot may exit one of these areas with no movement penalty.
If a Mounted miniature suffers damage in an area adyacent to a pallisade, the rider may fall on it. The attacker rolls one yellow dice, if he gets two symbols on the dice, means the defender takes damage from the pallisade (but remains in his original area), roll another yellow dice for damage.

Lines of sight from the hills would need to be added as well, and think they should provide an elevation bonus.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

If a Mounted miniature suffers damage in an area adyacent to a pallisade, the rider may fall on it.

This might be easier and more clear if you just use the dismounting rules you already have:

"If a Mounted miniature becomes Dismounted due to a Melee or Ranged attack in an area adjacent to a pallisade, the rider may fall on it."

Just an idea of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Primeval said:

A little off topic - but I am almost done with my skill booklet and was wondering if you guys would mind if I put any of your new skills in there (with full credit of course!) - its really just for my own pleasure im doing it but i will share it here if others want it.

For me this would be an honor to have the new skills in your book! I'm following it ! :dwarf:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Primeval said:

A little off topic - but I am almost done with my skill booklet and was wondering if you guys would mind if I put any of your new skills in there (with full credit of course!) - its really just for my own pleasure im doing it but i will share it here if others want it.

Absolutely! Glad you like them so much as to incorporate them in your own work. :w00t:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Primeval said:

This might be easier and more clear if you just use the dismounting rules you already have:

"If a Mounted miniature becomes Dismounted due to a Melee or Ranged attack in an area adjacent to a pallisade, the rider may fall on it."

Just an idea of course.

In the current rules only bosses can be dismounted, this way any mounted mature (minions included) can get damage front pallisades/stakes.