Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

12 hours ago, Florentin said:

A question: Does the principle of "Opportunity attack" exist as an option in the Conan Core game ?

• If an opponent arrives in your line of sight, is it possible to shoot him!
  • Or if he enters in your area, without attacking you and live it in the same game phase could you strike him?

Nope, closer thing to an opportunity attack is the skill Counterattack (Riposte, in French). It allows to perform a free attack after being attacked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long overdue battle reports.

FIRST PLAYTESTING GAME

Heroes used the movie strategy, Subotai grabbed the bow to kill any enemies going to Princess Hill , staying at the border of the monolith filed, while Conan intercepted enemies going to get him. 

The OL divided his forces in an attempt to keep busy the heroes while capturing the Yasmina with a few warriors.

In the end Thorgrim died, Thulsa Doom arrived but he couldn't use his Set's Arrow spell to kill Yasmina and win because she was behind the huge stone she was tied to at the start of the game (one Black Guard had managed to capture her and was running away but was shot dead by Subotai while standing in that area, dropping Yasmina dead).  Akiro managed to survive until the end ofthe game. He had a great role boosting Subotai's shots with his Support skill and casting Favor of the Gods on Conan.

In the end Rexor killed Subotai, Conan rushed towards Rexor but he was too late and Thulsa Doom had to admit his defeat.

IMG-20171118-WA0005.jpgP71118-161224.jpgP71118-182325.jpg

Hadrathus as Akiro, Kherim Sha as (dead) Subotai

SECOND PLAYTESTING GAME

Heroes changed the strategy. Instead of staying within the safety of the monolith field, they took the fight to the enemy blocking the access to Princess Hill. 

The Overlord went for Yasmina with everything he got, all the action was condensed around Princess Hill. 

Subotai was surrounded pretty bad, unable to escape and playing defensive, Akiro was killed early in the game and the heroes sorely missed his Favor of the Gods spell (pretty useful!)

Thulsa Doom never appeared because Thorgrim and Rexor survived until the end  Subotai was killed by regular troops in the end, Conan survived with only 3 gems and only the turn limit (10 turns) made the heroes win.

CONCLUSION

Best strategy for the heroes was clearly the one they use in the first game, closer to what we see in the movie. They have advantage within the monolith fild, limiting the number of riders attacking them in the smaller zones there (as opposed to the bigger zones outside). Subotai shooting from the edge of the monolith field has a good chance to kill any enemy getting too close to Yasmina, specially with Akiro's support.

The Overlord has a harder time in this scenario, having to divide his forces to capture the Yasmine while keeping the heroes at bay.  I'm thinking Rexor and Thorgrim shouldn't be the very last in the River, having them arriving earlier can spice things up. I'd try that next and see how it plays out.

P71119-145548.jpgP71119-150013.jpg

Olgred as dimounted Thorgrim.

Edit: As you may notice, I'm using the old Subotai sheet without the Lock-picking skill. It makes no difference for this scenario.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

And back to the map...

I have to say it's amazing both in size and quality. @Florentin has made a great job and the progress from the first version is impressive. I must confess I had my doubt about the large areas, but they play out pretty well with the big cavalry bases.

One last doubt: Is it possible to move from 26 <--> 22? (I've played like it is possible) f so I'd delete the stake separating both areas because it's not very clear. .

I've discovered during playtesting is we have a small issue with the wall of sand (areas 27, 82, 83).  Horses cannot run on top of it, area 81 is never used and the small unumbered area to the right of area 83 is so small not even a dismounted miniature can fit in there.  I guess heroes could use it to hide behind it (same as within the monolith field), but for that we would need a much thinner wall with bigger areas behind it (on its right side). Going back to an old idea, it could be something like this:

map2.thumb.jpg.5e93ac1bf8a4a2c59c410998c3a096b4.jpg

This way heroes can hide between Princess Hill and the top segment ofthe wall and behind the long vertical section. Doesn't really matters it it has this shape or the current one, I'm using this image to illustrate my suggestion about a thinner wall with space to it's right for heroes to hide.

Thoughts on this?

Edited by Arthadan

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

And back to the map...

I have to say it's amazing both in side and quality. @Florentin has made a great job and the progress from the first version is impressive. I must confess I had my doubt about the large areas, but they play out pretty well with the big cavalry bases.

One last doubt: Is it possible to move from 26 <--> 22? (I've played like it is possible) f so I'd delete the stake separating both areas because it's not very clear. .

I've discovered during playtesting is we have a small issue with the wall of sand (areas 27, 82, 83).  Horses cannot run on top of it, area 81 is never used and the small unumbered area to the right of area 83 is so small not even a dismounted miniature can fit in there.  I guess heroes could use it to hide behind it (same as within the monolith field), but for that we would need a much thinner wall with bigger areas behind it (on its right side). Going back to an old idea, it could be something like this:

map2.thumb.jpg.5e93ac1bf8a4a2c59c410998c3a096b4.jpg

This way heroes can hide between Princess Hill and the top segment ofthe wall and behind the long vertical section. Doesn't really matters it it has this shape or the current one, I'm using this image to illustrate my suggestion about a thinner wall with space to it's right for heroes to hide.

Thoughts on this?

Thank you @Arthadan!

If we consider your last remark:

For me this area is not used in the movie during the battle! Its goal is more a kind of decoration (as it exist sometimes in Conan map) and to bock riders! 

I will study better your remark when I will have time, but at present I think major update of the map as sand Wall should wait the advanced version for many reasons: heavy impact on work time, difference with the movie, end of year...

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

Thank you @Arthadan!

If we consider your last remark:

For me this area is not used in the movie during the battle! Its goal is more a kind of decoration (as it exist sometimes in Conan map) and to bock riders! 

I will study better your remark when I will have time, but at present I think major update of the map as sand Wall should wait the advanced version for many reasons: heavy impact on work time, difference with the movie, end of year...

Of course!

The map is perfectly playable as it is and we can use it for our "open beta" playtesting version in December.

I think in the movie Subotai fires some arrows from behind the wall, surely @Xaltotun can tell if I'm wrong or not.

What about my question? :

15 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Send me the hq image, please. Thanks!

Done!

By the way, we need to readjust tokens as well as follows:

1) We have no decoy tokens!!

Three decoys are enough. Easy fix would be:

- Replace 2 potions with decoys.

- Replace spear with decoy (no token needed because it's Subotai's starting equipment)

Regarding the Decoy illustration, I suggest to use the same illustration we have for the facedown (the skellie with the monolith in blue tones).

2) We need a new Horned Helmet token since it wouldn't be in Conan's starting equipment (in playtesting I've discovered that's too much armour from the start). 

- Replace the blank token with the helmet.

- Do you need me to do the token or can you do it?

3) Resizing the life point tracking sheet page.

It's a bit bigger than a hero sheet. That's no biggie but since it's quick to make and we're uploading a new version of the file anyway I think it's worth it.

- I'll do it and send it to you by PM.

4) Proyectile tracking sheet.

- That's on me, I'll do it and send it to you.

On my side I have changed the Horned Helmet defense dice to :jaune: and uploaded the new version of the cards file.

Edited by Arthadan

On 11/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, Florentin said:

A question: Does the principle of "Opportunity attack" exist as an option in the Conan Core game ?

• If an opponent arrives in your line of sight, is it possible to shoot him!
  • Or if he enters in your area, without attacking you and live it in the same game phase could you strike him?

It is not exactly the same as this, but one of the scenarios that I playtested coming in the Modiphius/Monolith crossover book has something similar, using mist and not seeing what is in a zone, and allowing foes in that zone to attack if you enter. It works well as a scenario specific thing but I think it would imbalance the game if made a general rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 21/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, Arthadan said:

Of course!

The map is perfectly playable as it is and we can use it for our "open beta" playtesting version in December.

I think in the movie Subotai fires some arrows from behind the wall, surely @Xaltotun can tell if I'm wrong or not.

For me Subotai took 3 arrows in 67.

Shooting on two riders from 22 on the first rider (first arrow).

And then shot from borderline  14-22 on the last one (second arrow).

Then two new riders appeared !

Then he ran from 14-22 to ....the borderline of 67-14...I think there is a movie problem there ! In fact Subotai went away from the middle of the 14 area towards the 22 area but at the begining of the new scene  is set backward at the  67-14 spot! :icon_mad:

Moreover, Subotai had a last arrow...but I think he  lost it or it became invisible...Then he frightened the two last riders with its bow and they fall!:wink:

For 22-26 it is possible ! Ok for the stake, It will be removed !

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Tokens/counter sheets uploaded in the download section

Image1.thumb.jpg.a05814c530712fdcb23651cb9c238905.jpgImage2.thumb.jpg.f0a1421dcd402d41ff7c90a67ad096dc.jpg

As you can see, I kept the life potions and added one, and made 5 decoys instead of 3. That's because I had free spaces and I think it's better to have a bit more material for the tests than less.
I hope it's ok for you.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 2

On 21/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, Arthadan said:

Of course!

I wasn't sure about the answer to your first question... luckly @Florentin gave the best one! THanks!

I think that moving from 22 to 26 should be possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xaltotun said:

Honestly, I think it could be easier for to add 15 single arrow tokens: everytime the 5 arrows token on the map is swapped, 5 single arrow tokens are given to Subotai. Maybe this could help to have less sheets on the table... this was maybe a @Florentin idea.

...though @Arthadan counter is really nice!

Any solution is viable.

Disadvantage of the sheet is that it takes more space, but advantage is many heroes can share it and is easier to read than counting tokens.

Disadvantage of the single arrow tokens is that is a lot of work to cut them (imagine a scenario with 2 heroes with proyectiles, that would be 30 tokens!, even more  if they have a bow and a secondary throwing weapon). Advantage is that it takes less space.

I suggest leaving it as it is for now, and we can offer the alternative single arrow tokens in the future.

• Like 1

I'm updating the Mounted Combat document, adding the bit about hindering (1 mounted miniature = 2 miniatures on foot regarding hindering), and replacing the term "stunned" for "fallen" as suggested by @Primeval.

There is one more thing I'd like to change, the Trample skill. 

Until now Armour applied against this attack and the attacker rolled a normal attack.

Problem was that this a movement action, so the unit could make 2 attacks in one turn (trample one with movement points and normal one) which was overpowered.

I think is more balanced now. 

Trample Skill  

The Trample attack is a new Movement skill available only for Mounted models.

- It cost is 2 Movement points.

- The trampling model performs an attack rolling :orange:

- The defender may perform a Guard action but may not parry, only dodge. Armor does not apply.

- If the attack is successful, the defender is Fallen (see below).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Board rules, as promised. This is the version 0, just for internal use until we all agree. I think I have downloaded an old version of the map, I'll update the image with the last one but it serves to give you an idea.

I'm afraid I'd need a last change, just making the top of Altar Hill and Monolith Hill new areas (in yellow in the map). Perhaps Monolith Hill top could be two areas.

Also, it would be a good idea to draw line of sights from the hilltops.

Thoughts on this?

Map.pdf

Edited by Arthadan

On 11/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, Arthadan said:

I'm updating the Mounted Combat document, adding the bit about hindering (1 mounted miniature = 2 miniatures on foot regarding hindering), and replacing the term "stunned" for "fallen" as suggested by @Primeval.

There is one more thing I'd like to change, the Trample skill. 

Until now Armour applied against this attack and the attacker rolled a normal attack.

Problem was that this a movement action, so the unit could make 2 attacks in one turn (trample one with movement points and normal one) which was overpowered.

I think is more balanced now. 

Trample Skill  

The Trample attack is a new Movement skill available only for Mounted models.

- It cost is 2 Movement points.

- The trampling model performs an attack rolling :orange:

- The defender may perform a Guard action but may not parry, only dodge. Armor does not apply.

- If the attack is successful, the defender is Fallen (see below).

Thoughts?

Looks good - I am amending the page I did for this skill, this does seem more balanced.

42 Trample.png

Edited by Primeval
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Board rules, as promised. This is the version 0, just for internal use until we all agree. I think I have downloaded an old version of the map, I'll update the image with the last one but it serves to give you an idea.

I'm afraid I'd need a last change, just making the top of Altar Hill and Monolith Hill new areas (in yellow in the map). Perhaps Monolith Hill top could be two areas.

Thoughts on this?

Map.pdf

First thing to fix is that the altar should follow the same rules as the fallen monoliths.

Waiting for your comments, guys!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Thoughts on this?

Map.pdf

Looks good to me; nice use of Feline Grace.

• Like 1