Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

12 hours ago, Florentin said:

As we already said we will study the need to change it in a second time like a lot of things for the expert mode!

Moreover, I'm not convinced at all about the need to change the sand wall before xmas and ...even after xmas!

There are many reasons for this !  Let's have a look to my last post on the subject...and a new reason is that it could be seen as a decor (as it exists in the Picts map)  and to an area that prevents the dooms riders and foot men to reach the princess too easily!

We have enough worked on the map now...the urgent matter are the rules...

I would like to test the scenario by myself urgently because you are alone to do this and it is not the right way !

It is not only to you to do the test but to all the team!

You have well understood that I would like to test the scenario with the map as it is but for this we need ...the rules!

I don't understand why you do not send us the rules synthesis faster in order to allow the team to share a same vision and to be better able to discuss of improvement together or to congratulate each other because result would be perfect ?

But for this, one more time, you have to send us all the rules fastly...

But if you do not want to  or not have the time to write them, I could spend time to  write this document this week!

In fact, we don't have time left: in less than one month it will be Xmas...

For me we have lost a week of useful time and I begin to believe that we will not have enough time to test the scenario efficiently...

Last week I was out of town and I couldn't work much on this. Regardless, we have progressed, releasing new versions of the token file, mounted combat and ranged combat, and closing the map.

Besides, I needed the map with the last changes we've made with the definitive zone division to make the graphic with units deployment (and the other one with valid zones for setting up traps, and lay objects and decoys) which we happen to have closed yesterday.

Anyway since you fear we risk missing the deadline, I'll release an "internal" scenario version tomorrow as latest. It will have two River setup, the one I tested and the "aggressive" one I plan to test this weekend, so we all can decide which one works best.

Would that be fine for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

A small request to @Florentin. Could you upload the last version of the map, please?

I could print it again tomorrow, since I had printed it double sized the first one I'm using now.

Thank you!

The .jpeg version is above ! Posted Sunday at 04:17 PM (edited)

Do you want the .bmp ?

The last version was downloaded in the download section!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

When you have time, please tell me if everything is clear in the Scenario or there is something confusing which would need a better explanation.

I'm eagerly awaiting your battle reports this weekend!

I have printed your beautiful work yesterday evening!  I will work on it this evening! 

At present,  the map and all the stuff files are at the printer Shop ! Hope all would be ready for this evening ! I'm dying to test the scenario ! This is a great day !!!

Thanks  to you guys, an old child dream is going to come to life!

:dwarf::dwarf::dwarf:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Florentin said:

I have printed your beautiful work yesterday evening!  I will work on it this evening! 

At present,  the map and all the stuff files are at the printer Shop ! Hope all would be ready for this evening ! I'm dying to test the scenario ! This is a great day !!!

Thanks  to you guys, an old child dream is going to come to life!

:dwarf::dwarf::dwarf:

I felt exactly the same when I played it for the first time!

:w00t:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arthadan said:

When you have time, please tell me if everything is clear in the Scenario or there is something confusing which would need a better explanation.

I'm eagerly awaiting your battle reports this weekend!

Hi guys !

I have read the scenario and I found it very good ! It was a real pleasure to read it and the introduction (once again) is very well written and immersive !

However, I need some information because there is something I do not understand very well.

Maybe it is a consequence of my lake of conan game practice ?

• After setup heroes do not move any gems from their reserve to their fatigue zone ? What does it means ? Why such thing ? After each new phases setup ? or only at the first setup ? To my understanding each new game phase gems are going to move from the fatigue zone to the reserve ? If this does not occur at each new heroes phases, the hero would not be able to have action ?

Thank you !

30 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Hi guys !

I have read the scenario and I found it very good ! It was a real pleasure to read it and the introduction (once again) is very well written and immersive !

However, I need some information because there is something I do not understand very well.

Maybe it is a consequence of my lake of conan game practice ?

• After setup heroes do not move any gems from their reserve to their fatigue zone ? What does it means ? Why such thing ? After each new phases setup ? or only at the first setup ? To my understanding each new game phase gems are going to move from the fatigue zone to the reserve ? If this does not occur at each new heroes phases, the hero would not be able to have action ?

Thank you !

That's only at the start of the game, as part of the setup. Usually , heroes don't start with their full number of gems in Reserve, that's why it's specified. Our heroes are well-rested and expecting their enemies!

Glad you like the scenario!

I think that the OL objectives could generate some problems.

If 'the Princess must be captured and taken outside the board bu the zone with the reinforcement token' the OL could eventually decide to sacrificste some figure in traps and engaging the heroes to move as fast as he can to the princess, ignoring the monolith field.

Surely, the river system could slow him but, once he got her, the heroes will be oblied to play an offensive battle against overwhelming forces with high value of armour.

I think in this way victory will be quite difficult for the heroes, maybe too difficult.

Ithink that the primary object for OL could be to kill Conan and Subotai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xaltotun said:

I think that the OL objectives could generate some problems.

If 'the Princess must be captured and taken outside the board bu the zone with the reinforcement token' the OL could eventually decide to sacrificste some figure in traps and engaging the heroes to move as fast as he can to the princess, ignoring the monolith field.

Surely, the river system could slow him but, once he got her, the heroes will be oblied to play an offensive battle against overwhelming forces with high value of armour.

I think in this way victory will be quite difficult for the heroes, maybe too difficult.

Ithink that the primary object for OL could be to kill Conan and Subotai.

Kill the heroes is an immediate win for the Overlord at any point.

I suggest:

- Before Doom enters the game: capture the princess (as it is) + kill the heroes (as you suggest)

- when Doom enters the game: kill the princess OR kill the heroes

Thing is heroes are tough as nails with their armours and with Thorgrim and Rexor coming late in game, they're pretty hard to kill. So doing this we ensure the game will last at least until Doom enters the scene, which is a good thing.

This combined with the "aggressive" River setup could spice things up.

What do you think?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arthadan said:

I suggest:

- Before Doom enters the game: capture the princess (as it is) + kill the heroes (as you suggest)

Thing is heroes are tough as nails with their armours and with Thorgrim and Rexor coming late in game, they're pretty hard to kill. So doing this we ensure the game will last at least until Doom enters the scene, which is a good thing.

This combined with the "aggressive" River setup could spice things up.

What do you think?

Capture the princess and (&) kill the heroes for objective or

capture the princess or(+) kill the heroes ?

Sorry past boolean algebra lectures are making me confuse ! ☺

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Sure, I know. But what's the point in attacking them directly, if you can attract them outside their best position capturing the princess first?

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

This is could be a solution, but I'm not sure it can change the point: if I was the OL: I'd sacrifice some unit, to let the other move as fast as they can to the princess. If the OL hold her, then he'll be the defender and the heroes will be forced to go out their best areas and attack. 

My my idea is more simple: 

-Kill the heroes.

-If Rexor and Thorgrim died then kill the princess (but the scenario will end in a kind of draw, or give the OL less victory points...)

Not to sure it's the best solution, obviously. Personally I like more the original idea, but I really fear it can't work properly.

This is something I began to think since I started my small tests at the table...

9 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Sure, I know. But what's the point in attacking them directly, if you can attract them outside their best position capturing the princess first?

This is could be a solution, but I'm not sure it can change the point: if I was the OL: I'd sacrifice some unit, to let the other move as fast as they can to the princess. If the OL hold her, then he'll be the defender and the heroes will be forced to go out their best areas and attack. 

My my idea is more simple: 

-Kill the heroes.

-If Rexor and Thorgrim died then kill the princess (but the scenario will end in a kind of draw, or give the OL less victory points...)

Not to sure it's the best solution, obviously. Personally I like more the original idea, but I really fear it can't work properly.

This is something I began to think since I started my small tests at the table...

Tried that as an OL and it didn't work. Subotai and his arrows took care of all the unit trying to capture the princess. I think it only makes sense the heroes are forced to defend her, and it's more like the movie.

I suggest you try this out yourself, you'll see it's not easy at all to grab the Princess amd run all the way back to the reinforcement points..

And the point of killing the heroes = immediate OL victory is that when TD appears, perhaps his best shot to win the game is using his spell to finish off a heroe instead of shooting at the princess. In my last game, the princess wasn't on Princess Hill (has been captured, then the unit carrying her killed), so TD han no line of sight to her, but he did have Conan in line of sight and his spell ignores armour...

Edited by Arthadan

5 minutes ago, Florentin said:

To my opinion, Thulsa Doom want to take its revenge after the Caves attack by killing the heroes !

He thought that should had be easy and then he would had got the princess.

But that wasn't the case and he realized this when he saw both Thorgrim & Rexor killed....then he decided to kill the princess !

But before that some soldiers try to grab the princess. That's what we see in the movie.