Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

5 hours ago, Florentin said:

Ah Battle in the caves !:smile:

Yes ! It is a very interesting project !!!:dwarf:

I'm in, whatever scenario you decide to do next and @Vincent255 has some great ideas for The Fangs of the Serpent. Thing is we'll need a custom map for this scenario as well, @Florentin how do you feel about making another map?

And speaking of maps, thanks for changing the BotM one, but I'm afraid I explained the modifications poorly (sorry about that!). With the big cavalry bases this is what we need (red lines):

Imagen1.jpg

9 hours ago, Vincent255 said:

Well to be perfectly honest, the protracted wait that's been the case since the beginning of the year - following a relatively quick development earlier - I think is the main reason for the decline in the post rate due to waning interest.  And this particular scenario is now running months behind the original schedule which I doubt is helping any.  

Still, I was hoping the next Scenario to be developed would be:  VII - The Fangs of the Serpent II, that being the one which caught my interest the most.  

Good question @Xaltotun and helpful answer @Vincent255. I think you are right and I'm the one to blame for the delay. The version we had around Christmas was playable but it has some issues and some aspects that didn't feel quite right, it was "fine" but not "good". I, for one, needed to take a break and let it settle in my mind for a while so I could go back to it with a fresh look. I honestly think the current version is better than the previous one (and hopefully we'll get enough feedback from playtesters to make it better).

Once @Florentin has updated the map, I'll add the missing two images using it in the scenario rules and we're done. Hopefully  it will be released for Easter. I plan to update the post here in the first page, in the thread I opened about the campaign in the general  forum and in the Facebook group with links to download all the files needed when we go public (the easier we make the download for players, the better).

I can't believe we're nearly done!

030728_conanthebarbarian02.jpg

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

No rest for the wicked!

I've been thinking what scenario would be best to do next. I know you guys feel like doing scenario VII - The Fangs of the Serpent II (a.k.a. the orgy), but please take in account this is the only remaining scenario needing another custom map. Perhaps it would be better to do something lighter, using an official map. I don't have the Modiphius tiles yet, so the list of remaining scenarios using Monolith boards are:

II - The Tower of Set

Heroes: Conan, Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom or Khitai Tower from Khitai expansion

The heroes enter the dreaded Tower of Set to steal its riches. They must take out the guards in stealth and they can disguise themselves using the tunis of the acolytes and of course they must retrieve the greatest treasure there which is protected by a Giant Snake!

III - Escape! 

Map: Stygia streets (from the Stygia expansion)

The tower guards rush after the intruders through the streets of Shadizar. The heroes must fight their way through the streets and make the guards lose their trail. A vengeful camel may appear.

VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I

Map: Stygia tunnels (from the Stygia expansion)

Having recovered his strength, Conan and his companions head back to the Mountain of Power to recover the daughter of King Osric, now an adept of the Serpent God. First they have to sneak into the mountain using a secret entrance, dark tunnels lead them deep into the heart of the mountain.

And then we have one scenario re-using the Mounds map:

V - The spirits here ask a heavy toll

Heroes: Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom Mounds map

Akiro has cast a spell on Conan to save his life but the Spirits of the Mounds will try to claim his soul before dawn.

I think doing any of these will reduce dramatically the development time and increase the chance that people actually play our scenarios. I think now we are getting more "likes" and sympathy than actual players because printing so much material when there are so many scenarios out there using official stuff is not very appealing. Of course we are doing this mainly for ourselves, but it would be nice to get more people involved.

I think before voting what we want to do next, we need to ask our dear cartographer @Florentin if he feels like starting another map right away.

What do you think?

Any option works for me, even scenario VII. I just want to be sure we're all on the same page before starting.

I'll write down the campaign rules (experience points and level up), a simplified version of the official campaign. Heroes start at level 0 and can raise up to level 2. We have seven scenarios so far, so they should level up every 2-3.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2018 at 1:13 PM, Arthadan said:

No rest for the wicked!

I've been thinking what scenario would be best to do next. I know you guys feel like doing scenario VII - The Fangs of the Serpent II (a.k.a. the orgy), but please take in account this is the only remaining scenario needing another custom map. Perhaps it would be better to do something lighter, using an official map. I don't have the Modiphius tiles yet, so the list of remaining scenarios using Monolith boards are:

II - The Tower of Set

Map: Custom or Khitai Tower from Khitai expansion

The heroes enter the dreaded Tower of Set to steal its riches. They must take out the guards in stealth and they can disguise themselves using the tunis of the acolytes and of course they must retrieve the greatest treasure there which is protected by a Giant Snake!

III - Escape! 

Map: Stygia streets (from the Stygia expansion)

The tower guards rush after the intruders through the streets of Shadizar. The heroes must fight their way through the streets and make the guards lose their trail. A vengeful camel may appear.

VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I

Map: Stygia tunnels (from the Stygia expansion)

Having recovered his strength, Conan and his companions head back to the Mountain of Power to recover the daughter of King Osric, now an adept of the Serpent God. First they have to sneak into the mountain using a secret entrance, dark tunnels lead them deep into the heart of the mountain.

And then we have one scenario re-using the Mounds map:

V - The spirits here ask a heavy toll

Heroes: Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom Mounds map

Akiro has cast a spell on Conan to save his life but the Spirits of the Mounds will try to claim his soul before dawn.

I think doing any of these will reduce dramatically the development time and increase the chance that people actually play our scenarios. I think now we are getting more "likes" and sympathy than actual players because printing so much material when there are so many scenarios out there using official stuff is not very appealing. Of course we are doing this mainly for ourselves, but it would be nice to get more people involved.

I think before voting what we want to do next, we need to ask our dear cartographer @Florentin if he feels like starting another map right away.

What do you think?

Always ready for great aventures with the Tigers team!

And ready to improve my knowledge in map creation and to face new challenges!

All scenarios above are fun ! I'm ready for the whole! :dwarf:

Edited by Florentin

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

Always ready for great aventures with the Tigers team!

And ready to improve my knowledge in map creation and to face new challenges!

All scenarios above are fun ! I'm ready for the whole! :dwarf:

Well, that settles it. We're all in for scenario VII!

Perhaps we should start with a simple map (just black lines) to play around with the zone division and then build up the finished color version from there.

@Vincent255, could you please share your ideas about the scenario with the group?

39 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Well, that settles it. We're all in for scenario VII!

Perhaps we should start with a simple map (just black lines) to play around with the zone division and then build up the finished color version from there.

@Vincent255, could you please share your ideas about the scenario with the group?

This thread or a in a new one?

• Like 1

Okay then.  It'll be a bit of a read, but hopefully this works well as a benchmark/reference...

Scenario VII - Fangs of the Serpent II

5ac0e92a4d24f_EyeoftheSerpentIIMap2.thumb.png.7417e1ef6b682aa322025cb98d28d2e7.png

VICTORY CONDITIONS

HEROES:          The Heroes win the Scenario if before the end of Turn 6/7/8[1], they have either escaped with Princess Yasimina or Thulsa Doom is killed, and at least Conan and Subotai are still alive.  

OVERLORD:      The Overlord will win should the Heroes: Fail to steal Princess Yasimina; Valeria and Conan or Subotai are killed, or; Princess Yasimina dies before the end of Turn 6/7/8.  

“So this is Paradise.”  

Aided by their Skills, and the Information supplied by the Wizard Akiro, Conan Subotai, & Valeria have succeeded in their infiltration of the Mountain of Power, to the innermost sanction of Thulsa Doom’s Fortress.  

In this brightly-lit room of pungent, sickly sweet incense and depravity, their camouflage is of no use to them, but they need maintain their secrecy for only a little while longer, until they are in position to strike.  

Within the Alcove at the far end of the Orgy Chamber sits Thulsa Doom, with the Princess Yasimina beside him.  Before our Heroes is the True Face of the Cult of Set, and that of Thulsa Doom himself revealed.  

"The Infidel Defilersss.  Sshhall all Drown in Lakes of Blood.  Now they will know why they are Afraid of the Dark.  Now they will Learn, why they Fear the Night."  

HEROES:          

The Game begins with the Hero’s Turn.  The Heroes start in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram.  

Conan (Atlantean Sword)
Subotai (Hykarnian Sword)
Valeria (% Sword, Rope)

OVERLORD:      

Thulsa Doom will begin in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram, Rexor & Thorgrim will not enter the Map until Turn 3/4/5[2].  

SPECIAL RULES

“The Gods, I told them I would pay the Price.”:  Valeria is destined to die at the end of the Scenario even should she survive at the end of Turn 6/7/8.  

The True Face of Thulsa Doom:  When Thulsa Doom realises he’s in Mortal Danger (or earlier should the Overlord wish), he will shed his human form and take on the form of a massive snake as so to make possible his escape (through the tunnels at the back of the Alcove indicated on the Map).  This is comprised of 2 stages[3], and requires 2/3 Turns to complete, and will be interrupted should a Hero Player reach him.  

“If we wait a while, they will all fall asleep.”:  If by the end of Turn 3/4 the Heroes have remained undetected, the Overlord Units present in the Chamber will all have succumbed to the Narcotic Incense, and will be unable to respond to moves by the Hero Units.  

“I Sssee You.”:  Thulsa Doom will be able to detect the Heroes Intrusion into his innermost sanction once per turn.  [4]

If the Heroes do not move, roll a Dice and decide High or Low, the Heroes will be detected if the Overlord is correct.  

If any Hero Unit moves, roll a Dice and select a number, the Hero will be detected if the Dice lands on any number other than the selected one.  

APPROACH OPTIONS 

Ultimately, how the Heroes proceed can be boiled down to three basic designs.  

SILENT APPROACH:      

Gambling on the Narcotic Drugs imposing Loss of Consciousness on the Present Overlord Units, the Heroes bide their time, remaining hidden and unmoved before carefully approaching the slumbering Princess Yasimina, stealing her away before anyone realises she’s gone Missing in the Night.  

PROS - Provided that they are unseen, they will be able to steal the Princess and leave without a fight.  Killing Thulsa Doom at this point should be simple.  

CONS - Many Turns must pass before they can begin their approach, should Thulsa Doom sssee them in this time, this option will be invalid and an immediate attack must be launched for the Heroes to have any hope for Victory.  

PREPARE TO ATTACK:  

The Heroes split up, moving themselves into position to attack on Multiple Fronts.  At the same time, they arrange distractions to induce Panic and Chaos as so to aid themselves when they launch their attack to steal the Princess.  

PROS - As this is the method used in the Movie, it is well-known.  While Thulsa Doom will be able to detect them with ease, it is likely he will escape while he has time, leaving the Princess unprotected, and easy to Steal.  The chaos created by the distractions will work in the Heroes Favour.  

CONS - Thulsa Doom will have ample time to escape, one Victory Condition will be Lost as a consequence.  You will be forced to fight your way out, and reinforcements are certain to arrive before you can escape.  

DIRECT ASSAULT:  

This is exactly what it says on the tin.  

Throwing Caution to the Four Winds (whom Crom laughs at), the Heroes mount an immediate charge for the Princess Yasimina, attacking all who stand in their way.  

PROS - The guards present will still be intoxicated, and unable to mount a serious defence, if any.  Thulsa Doom will not have time to escape, forcing him to face the Heroes.  

CONS - Should Thulsa Doom be at Stage 1 of his metamorphosis, his ‘Eye of Set’ Spell will be at maximum strength, virtually impossible to withstand.  With the battle starting so soon, Rexor & Thorgrim will arrive sooner.  

[1] - The map isn’t large, but a bit needs doing, hence the range of turns shown, can be decided when more developed.  

[2] - As in the movie, Rexor & Thorgrim (plus a few guards) won’t arrive until late in the Scenario.  A set number of turns after Thulsa Doom activates a mechanical alarm set by his Dais?   

[3] - Again, as in the movie, this will be a slow process, and requires effort on Thulsa Doom’s part to enact.  Incidentally, could using his tail as it grows to activate the alarm work?  

Stage 1

5ac0e9b622f77_ThulsaDoom29.thumb.jpg.a99e2244599e47d610ab3952659357ec.jpg

Stage 2

59c30af2ae449_ThulsaDoomSC-6.thumb.jpg.713bff52008c7ebd53ab4f1c772dece8.jpg

[4] - The movie never did explain how Thulsa Doom was able to know they were coming, but given the powers he demonstrated, such a spell isn’t an unreasonable conclusion to reach.  And if they move, they will have to cross points where they can be seen by him, hence why the odds are stacked so highly in his favour in that case, and still very good even if they stay still.  

59c30b205c375_ThulsaDoom45.thumb.jpg.8f169af28c5dd944395b4dca818e1055.jpg

or 

5ac0e9f26fb6d_ThulsaDoomSC-4.thumb.jpg.2009a4bc83247bff5ca8665884d65e8b.jpg

Image or Screencap to be Cropped for Spell “I Sssee You.”  

Edited by Vincent255
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Vincent255 said:

HEROES: The Heroes win the Scenario if before the end of Turn 6/7/8[1], they have either escaped with Princess Yasimina or Thulsa Doom is killed, and at least Conan and Subotai are still alive.  

OVERLORD:      The Overlord will win should the Heroes: Fail to steal Princess Yasimina; Valeria and Conan or Subotai are killed, or; Princess Yasimina dies before the end of Turn 6/7/8.  

HEROES:          

The Game begins with the Hero’s Turn.  The Heroes start in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram.  

Conan (Atlantean Sword)
Subotai (Hykarnian Sword)
Valeria (% Sword, Rope)

OVERLORD:      

Thulsa Doom will begin in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram, Rexor & Thorgrim will not enter the Map until Turn 3/4/5[2].  

SPECIAL RULES

“The Gods, I told them I would pay the Price.”:  Valeria is destined to die at the end of the Scenario even should she survive at the end of Turn 6/7/8.  

The True Face of Thulsa Doom:  When Thulsa Doom realises he’s in Mortal Danger (or earlier should the Overlord wish), he will shed his human form and take on the form of a massive snake as so to make possible his escape (through the tunnels at the back of the Alcove indicated on the Map).  This is comprised of 2 stages[3], and requires 2/3 Turns to complete, and will be interrupted should a Hero Player reach him.  

“If we wait a while, they will all fall asleep.”:  If by the end of Turn 3/4 the Heroes have remained undetected, the Overlord Units present in the Chamber will all have succumbed to the Narcotic Incense, and will be unable to respond to moves by the Hero Units.  

“I Sssee You.”:  Thulsa Doom will be able to detect the Heroes Intrusion into his innermost sanction once per turn.  [4]

If the Heroes do not move, roll a Dice and decide High or Low, the Heroes will be detected if the Overlord is correct.  

If any Hero Unit moves, roll a Dice and select a number, the Hero will be detected if the Dice lands on any number other than the selected one.  

APPROACH OPTIONS 

Ultimately, how the Heroes proceed can be boiled down to three basic designs.  

SILENT APPROACH:      

Gambling on the Narcotic Drugs imposing Loss of Consciousness on the Present Overlord Units, the Heroes bide their time, remaining hidden and unmoved before carefully approaching the slumbering Princess Yasimina, stealing her away before anyone realises she’s gone Missing in the Night.  

PROS - Provided that they are unseen, they will be able to steal the Princess and leave without a fight.  Killing Thulsa Doom at this point should be simple.  

CONS - Many Turns must pass before they can begin their approach, should Thulsa Doom sssee them in this time, this option will be invalid and an immediate attack must be launched for the Heroes to have any hope for Victory.  

PREPARE TO ATTACK:  

The Heroes split up, moving themselves into position to attack on Multiple Fronts.  At the same time, they arrange distractions to induce Panic and Chaos as so to aid themselves when they launch their attack to steal the Princess.  

PROS - As this is the method used in the Movie, it is well-known.  While Thulsa Doom will be able to detect them with ease, it is likely he will escape while he has time, leaving the Princess unprotected, and easy to Steal.  The chaos created by the distractions will work in the Heroes Favour.  

CONS - Thulsa Doom will have ample time to escape, one Victory Condition will be Lost as a consequence.  You will be forced to fight your way out, and reinforcements are certain to arrive before you can escape.  

DIRECT ASSAULT:  

This is exactly what it says on the tin.  

Throwing Caution to the Four Winds (whom Crom laughs at), the Heroes mount an immediate charge for the Princess Yasimina, attacking all who stand in their way.  

PROS - The guards present will still be intoxicated, and unable to mount a serious defence, if any.  Thulsa Doom will not have time to escape, forcing him to face the Heroes.  

CONS - Should Thulsa Doom be at Stage 1 of his metamorphosis, his ‘Eye of Set’ Spell will be at maximum strength, virtually impossible to withstand.  With the battle starting so soon, Rexor & Thorgrim will arrive sooner.  

[1] - The map isn’t large, but a bit needs doing, hence the range of turns shown, can be decided when more developed.  

[2] - As in the movie, Rexor & Thorgrim (plus a few guards) won’t arrive until late in the Scenario.  A set number of turns after Thulsa Doom activates a mechanical alarm set by his Dais?   

[3] - Again, as in the movie, this will be a slow process, and requires effort on Thulsa Doom’s part to enact.  Incidentally, could using his tail as it grows to activate the alarm work?  

Stage 1

[4] - The movie never did explain how Thulsa Doom was able to know they were coming, but given the powers he demonstrated, such a spell isn’t an unreasonable conclusion to reach.  And if they move, they will have to cross points where they can be seen by him, hence why the odds are stacked so highly in his favour in that case, and still very good even if they stay still.  

Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for your writings !

To my mind, this scenario  would be great if it was a kind of "Hyborian Splinter Cells" and not only a bloodshed in the orgy room.

I have the feeling that to only consider the last part of the scenario would reduce the pleasure of this scenario (same thing for me for an other scenario that I hope we will work on an other day: the tower of the serpent).

In fact, Conan and his friends are kind of Ninjas in this scenario...But during this battle I think It is difficult for Conan to resist to his wish to kill every one and to destroy everything... Maybe it is something to use to make the scenario better... Conan should do his best to avoid a kind of blood thirsty madness (like a shark when it "detects" first blood) and keep control of himself and thus to not lost too much time with bloodshed. Nevertheless, to kill is sometimes necessary...So find a balance between the main purpose of the mission and his wish of revenge could be great! Maybe with specific Conan self control tests after each deaths to avoid him to become a kind of berserker ?

As an example, I don't think an other commando would have lost time to push the giant marmite through the stairs ? This is to discuss...

Moreover, I think that it should be very difficult for Conan to leave the cave when he faced Rexor & Thorgrim. I thing the fall of the central pillar brought him back to reason,  otherwise he might be dead, blinded by his revenge ? Maybe it was a God action to say him "Conan it is time to go away" ?

Note: in a first version of the Conan arrival in the Orgy Room, Milius  would like Conan killed the first woman he met...But as this scene showed a worse vision of what was Conan, Milius changed the scene and the woman was only pushed. For me, this was a mistake like the scene in Star Wars, in the Cantina where Lucas made Greedo attacked first Han Solo in the last version of the movie: Solo is a selfish rascal and not a white knight ... Human are complexe and often their darkness overcome their values...and for Conan it is the same thing and besides Conan is a barbarian!

I think this scenario should begin with the arrival in the caves, the displacement through shadows across the kitchen and the corridors before to take place in the orgy room at strategic points to act quickly and efficiently. Then to leave through the corridor (through a balcony with a rope (as in the comics)) to go back to horses.

Heroes purposes: avoid guards supervision of the place and control the Conan's thirst of revenge, capture the princess as fast as possible. Each turn danger increases and risk of arrival of many well armed-guards and beast mans  is important.

I have some remarks/questions:

• Do not understand why Princess Yasmina could die ? For me no one want the princess to be killed. It is not the same thing that in the BOTM scenario. So I will supress this option. For me princess is a kind of item in this scenario that could only trigger an alert ?
  • For me Thulsa Doom is becoming a snake only to go to feed himself somewhere or to go to practice a dark ritual. To my opinion,  he didn't detect the attack if not an army would have been arrived faster. But this is to discuss ! 
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for your writings !

To my mind, this scenario  would be great if it was a kind of "Hyborian Splinter Cells" and not only a bloodshed in the orgy room.

I have the feeling that to only consider the last part of the scenario would reduce the pleasure of this scenario (same thing for me for an other scenario that I hope we will work on an other day: the tower of the serpent).

In fact, Conan and his friends are kind of Ninjas in this scenario...But during this battle I think It is difficult for Conan to resist to his wish to kill every one and to destroy everything... Maybe it is something to use to make the scenario better... Conan should do his best to avoid a kind of blood thirsty madness (like a shark when it "detects" first blood) and keep control of himself and thus to not lost too much time with bloodshed. Nevertheless, to kill is sometimes necessary...So find a balance between the main purpose of the mission and his wish of revenge could be great! Maybe with specific Conan self control tests after each deaths to avoid him to become a kind of berserker ?

As an example, I don't think an other commando would have lost time to push the giant marmite through the stairs ? This is to discuss...

Moreover, I think that it should be very difficult for Conan to leave the cave when he faced Rexor & Thorgrim. I thing the fall of the central pillar brought him back to reason,  otherwise he might be dead, blinded by his revenge ? Maybe it was a God action to say him "Conan it is time to go away" ?

Note: in a first version of the Conan arrival in the Orgy Room, Milius  would like Conan killed the first woman he met...But as this scene showed a worse vision of what was Conan, Milius changed the scene and the woman was only pushed. For me, this was a mistake like the scene in Star Wars, in the Cantina where Lucas made Greedo attacked first Han Solo in the last version of the movie: Solo is a selfish rascal and not a white knight ... Human are complexe and often their darkness overcome their values...and for Conan it is the same thing and besides Conan is a barbarian!

I think this scenario should begin with the arrival in the caves, the displacement through shadows across the kitchen and the corridors before to take place in the orgy room at strategic points to act quickly and efficiently. Then to leave through the corridor (through a balcony with a rope (as in the comics)) to go back to horses.

Heroes purposes: avoid guards supervision of the place and control the Conan's thirst of revenge, capture the princess as fast as possible. Each turn danger increases and risk of arrival of many well armed-guards and beast mans  is important.

• Do not understand why Princess Yasmina could die ? For me no one want the princess to be killed. It is not the same thing that in the BOTM scenario. So I will supress this option. For me princess is a kind of item in this scenario that could only trigger an alert ?
  • For me Thulsa Doom is becoming a snake only to go to feed himself somewhere or to go to practice a dark ritual. To my opinion,  he didn't detect the attack if not an army would have been arrived faster. But this is to discuss ! 

You've made me remember something Valeria says before they go for Yasmina: "a thief could do it, but not a vengeful one".

I think the question is: would Conan try to restrain himself at all? I don't remember him struggling to restrain, he just charges into the room as soon as he sees Rexor and Thorgrim there (it is worth remembering how they humiliated Conan when he was captured).

Perhaps Conan can act in "stealth mode" until he has line of sight to Rexor or Thorgrim. When that happens, he is bound to attack them.

How does it sounds?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthadan said:

You've made me remember something Valeria says before they go for Yasmina: "a thief could do it, but not a vengeful one".

I think the question is: would Conan try to restrain himself at all? I don't remember him struggling to restrain, he just charges into the room as soon as he sees Rexor and Thorgrim there (it is worth remembering how they humiliated Conan when he was captured).

Perhaps Conan can act in "stealth mode" until he has line of sight to Rexor or Thorgrim. When that happens, he is bound to attack them.

How does it sounds?

Yes it is right! And I'm totally agree with your arguments. 

I have already thought to what you wrote before to write my previous post.

It was only a proposal to try to add some "salt" to the scenario, no more.

If people thing it is more a cause of trouble the "blood thirsty madness" concept could be forgotten.

In fact, I thought the scenario could become a very boring scenario for the Overlord player because the heroes are stronger than the vilains until the arrival of Rexor, Thorgrim and maybe additional guards.

Or maybe it could be imagined that Thulsa Doom could change in snake and stay in the room to fight against the invasion if the alert is triggered before he leaves it?

Balance of this scenario, is for me difficult to do...

But maybe we can use other elements to try to balance it!

Moreover, I will try to work on a very simple map with only manual drawings to help us to work on the scenario as it was proposed! I thing it is a good idea at first step !

Only question for the battlegound  is, are we focusing on the orgy chamber or on the whole corridors and rooms network of the mountain that was crossed by the heroes in the movie ?

30 minutes ago, Florentin said:

If people thing it is more a cause of trouble the "blood thirsty madness" concept could be forgotten.

In fact, I thought the scenario could become a very boring scenario for the Overlord player because the heroes are stronger than the vilains until the arrival of Rexor, Thorgrim and maybe additional guards.

Or maybe it could be imagined that Thulsa Doom could change in snake and stay in the room to fight against the invasion if the alert is triggered before he leaves it?

Moreover, I will try to work on a very simple map with only manual drawings to help us to work on the scenario as it was proposed! I thing it is a good idea at first step !

Only question for the battlegound  is, are we focusing on the orgy chamber or on the whole corridors and rooms network of the mountain that was crossed by the heroes in the movie ?

Scenario VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I is precisely about sneaking into the tunnels using the official Stygia tunnels map, so I guess we can have the orgy room, Thulsa Doom throne room, and just the start of the tunnel to the kitchens, all fitting into an official-sized map if possible. @Vincent255, what is the other tunnel in your sketch?

Edited by Arthadan

1 minute ago, Arthadan said:

Scenario VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I is precisely sneaking into the tunnels using the official Stygia tunnels map, so I guess we can have the orgy room, Thulsa Doom throne room, and just the start of the tunnel to the kitchens, all fitting into an official-sized map if possible. @Vincent255, what is the other tunnel in your sketch?

Ok perfect for scenario VI ! I'm going to finish a first simple drawing of the orgy room at right size from Vincent Drawings and put it here for comments! Many update could be realized easily !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florentin said:

Hi Vincent,

[Snip]

IMHO, Conan killing one who wasn't a threat was going too far.  I suspect this is why Milius changed it (before the Exectives could) to having her pushed out of the way while those who were trying to stop and kill them met their ends.  

IMHO, Thulsa Doom did realise he was in danger, which is precisely why he Scaled Up as a means of escape, the two tunnels you see at the back of the Alcove being just the right size for a snake to slither through but too small for even Subotai to to squeeze himself into being a pre-built means for him to get himself out of there.  

And like I said, it's slow (it certainly appeared that way in the movie), so if he doesn't have enough time to escape, he might be forced to fight them as he is.  

Incidentally, I don't think they ever showed just how much ground Rexor, Thorgrim, and those guards had to cover before they entered the Fray, but anything other than 'Right Next Door', would require that they had been alerted by some kind of alarm to get there before the Battle was over I believe.  

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

How does it sounds?

I think the phrase is actually "Good Thieves could do that, but not Vengeful ones."

If Rexor and Thorgrim arrive before they get out (which I think is all-but-assured) then someone had to fight them off to give the others an opening to get the Princess out.  He was clearly the most willing.  

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

As @Arthadan said, Scenario VI already covers that.  Leaving Scenario VII to focus on the Orgy Chamber.  

33 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Scenario VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I is precisely about sneaking into the tunnels using the official Stygia tunnels map, so I guess we can have the orgy room, Thulsa Doom throne room, and just the start of the tunnel to the kitchens, all fitting into an official-sized map if possible. @Vincent255, what is the other tunnel in your sketch?

Obviously the one at the base of the Map leads from Scenario VI, the other one I modelled off recollection of that scene, and some educated guesswork.  

Simply you could have Rexor, Thorgrim, and the other non-intoxicated guards come in from either there or the other tunnel.  I also believe that (the upper Tunnel marked '6') would be where Thulsa Doom and Yasimina came in, given the latter was shown approaching Doom after the Heroes entered.  

Edited by Vincent255

I think having two tunnels is a good idea, makes the map more interesting.

I'll need to watch the scene again, but I think Rexor and Thorgrim were in the room. Certainly they were half-dressed, as if they had been interrupted from more pleasant endeavors.

The reason behind TD transformation is of little consequence from a scenario design point of view. In the end what matters to us is that he will start his slow transformation at the start of the scenario.

Regarding gameplay, I was thinking about something along the lines of these special rules from the official scenario Trapped like Rats:

• Hidden in the shadows: At night, the heroes take advantage of the darkness and the drowsiness of their jailers; if the alarm has not been raised:

• Characters cannot perform Ranged attacks.

• The Overlord cannot use benefits.

• The Overlord can activate only 1 tile during their turn.

• When a minion dies, lay the minion’s model down in the model’s area instead of removing the model from the board. If a hero is in an area with a dead minion and there are no living enemy characters in the area, the hero can perform a simple Manipulation to remove a dead minion’s model from the board.

• Alarm!: The alarm is raised if any of the following occurs:

• A character uses Wall Wrecker or an Explosive Orb.

• At the beginning of the Overlord’s turn, if a unit is in an area with a dead minion or a hero.

• At the end of turn 4.

When the alarm is raised, the Overlord removes all dead character’s models from the board and places 5 Bossonian Guard models with green bases in the entrance area. The Overlord places the green Bossonian Guards tile on the left in the River, sliding tiles to the right as needed, and replaces the recovery token in the book of Skelos with the recovery token showing a recovery value of “5.”