Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

6 minutes ago, Florentin said:

First proposal to help to design areas. The size of the map is the same as the BOTM map.

Map_Cave_020417_Paths.png

Since in this scenario we have no mounted troops, I think it would be better to use a normal (official) size map. They have a nice size for foot miniatures. Also, I think we don't need to see much of the tunnels. I suggest something like this:

S80402-133752(1).jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I think having two tunnels is a good idea, makes the map more interesting.

I'll need to watch the scene again, but I think Rexor and Thorgrim were in the room. Certainly they were half-dressed, as if they had been interrupted from more pleasant endeavors.

I recall them entering the Chamber after the battle started, that said they did appear to have been interrupted from said endeavours.  

The reason behind TD transformation is of little consequence from a scenario design point of view. In the end what matters to us is that he will start his slow transformation at the start of the scenario.

While I would prefer it to begin when he realises the Heroes are there, if that's too much hassle to work in, this'll do just fine.  

That said, there is a consequence from where I stand.  If he escapes, he lives to fight (well, flee, actually) another day.  

Regarding gameplay, I was thinking about something along the lines of these special rules from the official scenario Trapped like Rats:

• Hidden in the shadows: At night, the heroes take advantage of the darkness and the drowsiness of their jailers; if the alarm has not been raised:

• Characters cannot perform Ranged attacks.

• The Overlord cannot use benefits.

• The Overlord can activate only 1 tile during their turn.

• When a minion dies, lay the minion’s model down in the model’s area instead of removing the model from the board. If a hero is in an area with a dead minion and there are no living enemy characters in the area, the hero can perform a simple Manipulation to remove a dead minion’s model from the board.

• Alarm!: The alarm is raised if any of the following occurs:

• A character uses Wall Wrecker or an Explosive Orb.

• At the beginning of the Overlord’s turn, if a unit is in an area with a dead minion or a hero.

• At the end of turn 4.

When the alarm is raised, the Overlord removes all dead character’s models from the board and places 5 Bossonian Guard models with green bases in the entrance area. The Overlord places the green Bossonian Guards tile on the left in the River, sliding tiles to the right as needed, and replaces the recovery token in the book of Skelos with the recovery token showing a recovery value of “5.”

Interesting.  I suppose there would be a number of ways for the alarm to be triggered, bringing the more alert guards into the fray.  

8 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Since in this scenario we have no mounted troops, I think it would be better to use a normal (official) size map. They have a nice size for foot miniatures. Also, I think we don't need to see much of the tunnels. I suggest something like this:

S80402-133752(1).jpg

In that case I would suggest this:  

Map.thumb.jpg.2beb5a311e3604af3cfb6667bc6c53eb.jpg

Tunnels cropped away but the whole of the chamber is still there.  

40 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Rotation and size reduction were done.

If no rotation occurs, scale of the drawing must be modified because some room details are absent.

Nevertheless, if compare with the BOTM map size seems to be at the right scale ?

Rotation_Smaller_Cave.png

comparison.png

Smaller_Cave.png

Rotated map: we can make the upper tunnel to turn to the left, running parallel to the border. This way we maximize gaming space. And perhaps adding another tunnel in the lower right corner. I like the idea of reinforcements Coming from different tunnels when the alarm is raised.

Vertical map: Maybe we have too much unused space (left and right of the throne room and lower left corner mainly). Also, if we want to go official size, needs to be closer to a square.

Thoughts?

S80402-133752(1)(1).jpg

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

Rotated map: we can make the upper tunnel to turn to the left, running parallel to the border. This way we maximize gaming space. And perhaps adding another tunnel in the lower right corner. I like the idea of reinforcements Coming from different tunnels when the alarm is raised.

>> Yes, This is a good compromise!

>> So, do I.

Vertical map: Maybe we have too much unused space (left and right of the throne room and lower left corner mainly). Also, if we want to go official size, needs to be closer to a square.

Thoughts?

>> If a classical map is required, I would prefer a rotated map, I find this more complete & beautiful than a vertical map. We did the same choice for the BOTM map. Possibility to have additional tunnel is a good idea too.

A vertical map would be right on a bigger map with the same size than the BOTM one (see picture in my last post).

S80402-133752(1)(1).jpg

Perfect, then we all agree! (unless @Xaltotun has something to say!)

I've resized the map to the official size and proportions were spot-on, so no distortion at all.

Perhaps before starting with zone division, we should give a thought about how we want this scenario to be played, so zone size a distribution go along our design principles.

I think we will need small, dark areas for our heroes to hide in while in stealth mode (probably surrounding the big circular room and prehaps in the lower tunnels. Then medium size areas for the rest (center of the circular room and throne room). When I say small areas I mean fit for 1 -3 miniature base and medium 4 - 10 (this is just a guideline).

What do you think?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Perfect, then we all agree! (unless @Xaltotun has something to say!)

I've resized the map to the official size and proportions were spot-on, so no distortion at all.

Perhaps before starting with zone division, we should give a thought about how we want this scenario to be played, so zone size a distribution go along our design principles.

I think we will need small, dark areas for our heroes to hide in while in stealth mode (probably surrounding the big circular room and prehaps in the lower tunnels. Then medium size areas for the rest (center of the circular room and throne room). When I say small areas I mean fit for 1 -3 miniature base and medium 4 - 10 (this is just a guideline).

What do you think?

What about to use the specific torches that were in the Conan Box and let the overlord to place them by respecting specific limitation rules: in fact purpose would be to avoid to place all the torches in front of each passages.

The purpose of this proposal is to avoid the same scenario to be played each time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

What about to use the specific torches that were in the Conan Box and let the overlord to place them by respecting specific limitation rules: in fact purpose would be to avoid to place all the torches in front of each passages.

The purpose of this proposal is to avoid the same scenario to be played each time.

Love the idea of using torches! The heroes should be able to set curtains on fire, creating a distraction as Valeria does in the movie.

Not sure about the variable setup positions though, the more variables we have, the harder it will be to balance them all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

Love the idea of using torches! The heroes should be able to set curtains on fire, creating a distraction as Valeria does in the movie.

Not sure about the variable setup positions though, the more variables we have, the harder it will be to balance them all.

A distraction that can cause panic and chaos which will aid the Heroes?  I like the sound of that.  

Getting a good position for them in the first place I suspect will be a challenge.  As so to make sure they can do the job, but not force the heroes down a singular path with regards to gameplay.  

• Like 1

Quick question: do you think this scenario should be played right after scenario VI (sneaking into the caves)? I mean with no downtime in between, so gems lost in scenario VI will not be recovered before this one.

If we go for that, heroes will have one potion each (provided by Akiro) at the start of scenario VI. And we will need to design this scenario with weakened heroes in mind.

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Quick question: do you think this scenario should be played right after scenario VI (sneaking into the caves)? I mean with no downtime in between, so gems lost in scenario VI will not be recovered before this one.

If we go for that, heroes will have one potion each (provided by Akiro) at the start of scenario VI. And we will need to design this scenario with weakened heroes in mind.

Hard to say.  I know in the movie it was almost straight from one to the other, with perhaps less than a minute of respite - when they noticed what as going on in the Orgy Chamber - but the Heroes were able to avoid any fights so I'd think they'd still be close to full strength in that instance.  Little (if any) in the way of fatigue.  And a general lack of awareness as to their being there - save perhaps for TD.  

It can work, but I wonder what the others think.  

11 hours ago, Arthadan said:

4 hours ago, Vincent255 said:

Hard to say.  I know in the movie it was almost straight from one to the other, with perhaps less than a minute of respite - when they noticed what as going on in the Orgy Chamber - but the Heroes were able to avoid any fights so I'd think they'd still be close to full strength in that instance.  Little (if any) in the way of fatigue.  And a general lack of awareness as to their being there - save perhaps for TD.  

It can work, but I wonder what the others think.  

I think It is good to play the both scenario straight from one to the other like in the movie.

Not certain having a potion is a good thing! In the movie they have none. I think player would be more careful and play a smooth approach if they know they should take care of their hit points.

Nevertheless heroes will have additionnal skills consequence of the war paints

Edited by Florentin

20 hours ago, Florentin said:

I think It is good to play the both scenario straight from one to the other like in the movie.

Not certain having a potion is a good thing! In the movie they have none. I think player would be more careful and play a smooth approach if they know they should take care of their hit points.

Nevertheless heroes will have additionnal skills consequence of the war paints

OK, so we agree. No downtime between scenario VI and VII.

We have to consider, in average, how many gems the heroes will lose in the previous scenario. Taking in account we have Rexor and Thorgrim here, they can't lose much. The design of scenario VI is going to be challenging, it must be interesting to play but we can't have much combat.

Regarding booms granted by the war paints, I was thinking about the special rules the scenario will have for stealth moves. Do you have anything else in mind?

Edited by Arthadan

• 4 months later...

Well I've gone over it again, and reworked the Scenario again.  

A few tweaks on the scenario text, and a more substantial reworking of the Map to make it a little more like the actual Orgy Chamber - mainly by using these as reference: http://www.conancompletist.com/EN/anx/orgy_anx/orgy_annexes_img.html

Scenario VII - Fangs of the Serpent II

401670165_ScenarioVII-FangsoftheSerpentII-MapWIP2.thumb.png.22dc76da614bb1bddc89e11d53b336df.png

NB:  It's not too clear on this Map, but the Space between (3) & (4) to the right of the raised walkway is solid wall all the way up, and thus not usable space.  

VICTORY CONDITIONS

HEROES:          The Heroes win the Scenario if before the end of Turn 8[1], they have either escaped with Princess Yasimina or Thulsa Doom is killed, and at least Conan and Subotai are still alive.  

OVERLORD:      The Overlord will win should the Heroes: Fail to steal Princess Yasimina; Valeria and Conan or Subotai are killed, or; Princess Yasimina dies before the end of Turn 8.  

So this is Paradise.”  

Aided by their Skills, and the Information supplied by the Wizard Akiro, Conan Subotai, & Valeria have succeeded in their infiltration of the Mountain of Power, to the innermost sanction of Thulsa Doom’s Fortress.  

In this brightly-lit room of pungent, sickly sweet incense and depravity, their camouflage is of no use to them, but they need maintain their secrecy for only a little while longer, until they are in position to strike.  

Within the Alcove at the far end of the Orgy Chamber sits Thulsa Doom, with the Princess Yasimina beside him.  Before our Heroes is the True Face of the Cult of Set, and that of Thulsa Doom himself revealed.  

"The Infidel Defilersss.  Sshhall all Drown in Lakes of Blood.  Now they will know why they are Afraid of the Dark.  Now they will Learn, why they Fear the Night."  

HEROES:          

The Game begins with the Hero’s Turn.  The Heroes start in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram.  

Conan (Atlantean Sword)
Subotai (Hykarnian Sword)
Valeria (Sword, Rope)

OVERLORD:      

Thulsa Doom will begin in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram, Rexor & Thorgrim will not enter the Map until Turn 5 - or sooner if Summoned[1].  

SPECIAL RULES

“The Gods, I told them I would pay the Price.”:  Valeria is destined to die at the end of the Scenario even should she survive at the end of Turn 8.  

“Since they are all Servants of the Snake-God…”:  Due to all within his innermost sanctum being the Faithful of the Cult of Set, Thulsa Doom sees no need to place any guards within the Chamber itself.  As such, they will not arrive until later in the scenario, and only if Summoned. 

“If we wait a while, they will all fall asleep.”:  If by the end of Turn 4 the Heroes have remained undetected, the Overlord Units present in the Chamber will all have succumbed to the Narcotic Incense, thus unable to respond to moves made by the Hero Units.  

The True Face of Thulsa Doom:  When Thulsa Doom realises he’s in Mortal Danger (or earlier should the Overlord wish), he will shed his human form and take on the form of a massive snake as so to make possible his escape (through the tunnels at the back of the Alcove indicated on the Map).  This is comprised of 3 stages [2], requires 3 Turns to complete, and will be interrupted should a Hero Player reach him.  

“I Sssee You.”:  Thulsa Doom will be able to detect the Heroes Intrusion into his innermost sanction once per turn.  [3]

If the Heroes do not move, roll a Dice and decide High or Low, the Heroes will be detected if the Overlord is correct.  

If any Hero Unit moves, roll a Dice and select a number, the Hero will be detected if the Dice lands on any number other than the selected one.  

If any Hero Unit moves past a given point, the Hero will be detected as from his position on his Dais, Thulsa Doom will be able to see them. 

APPROACH OPTIONS 

Ultimately, how the Heroes proceed can be boiled down to three basic designs.  

SILENT APPROACH:      

Gambling on the Narcotic Drugs imposing Loss of Consciousness on the Present Overlord Units, the Heroes bide their time, remaining hidden and unmoved before carefully approaching the slumbering Princess Yasimina, stealing her away before anyone realises she’s gone Missing in the Night.  

PROS - Provided that they are unseen, they will be able to steal the Princess and leave without a fight.  Killing Thulsa Doom at this point should be simple.  

CONS - Many Turns must pass before they can begin their approach, should Thulsa Doom sssee them in this time, this option will be invalid and an immediate attack must be launched for the Heroes to have any hope for Victory.  

PREPARE TO ATTACK:  

The Heroes split up, moving themselves into position to attack on Multiple Fronts.  At the same time, they arrange distractions to induce Panic and Chaos as so to aid themselves when they launch their attack to steal the Princess.  

PROS - As this is the method used in the Movie, it is well-known.  While Thulsa Doom will be able to detect them with ease, it is likely he will escape while he has time, leaving the Princess unprotected, and easy to Steal.  The chaos created by the distractions will work in the Heroes Favour.  

CONS - Thulsa Doom will have ample time to escape, one Victory Condition will be Lost as a consequence.  You will be forced to fight your way out, and reinforcements are certain to arrive before you can escape.  

DIRECT ASSAULT:  

This is exactly what it says on the tin.  

Throwing Caution to the Four Winds (whom Crom laughs at), the Heroes mount an immediate charge for the Princess Yasimina, attacking all who stand in their way.  

PROS - The guards present will still be intoxicated, and unable to mount a serious defence, if any.  Thulsa Doom will not have time to escape, forcing him to face the Heroes.  

CONS - Should Thulsa Doom be at Stage 1 of his metamorphosis, his ‘Eye of Set’ Spell will be at maximum strength, virtually impossible to withstand.  With the battle starting so soon, Rexor & Thorgrim will arrive sooner.  

[1] - As in the movie, Rexor & Thorgrim (plus a few guards) won’t arrive until late in the Scenario.  A set number of turns after Thulsa Doom activates a mechanical alarm set by his Dais?   If Summoned sooner, they will arrive within 2 Turns.  

[2] - Again, as in the movie, this will be a slow process, and requires effort on Thulsa Doom’s part to enact.  Incidentally, could using his tail as it grows to activate the alarm work?  

[3] - The movie never did explain how Thulsa Doom was able to know they were coming, but given the powers he demonstrated, such a spell isn’t an unreasonable conclusion to reach.  And if they move, they will have to cross points where they can be seen by him, hence why the odds are stacked so highly in his favour in that case, and still very good even if they stay still.  

Edited by Vincent255
Adding an NB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very good job @Vincent255 !:dwarf::dwarf::dwarf::dwarf:

What is your feeling about the guards strength and number already present in the rooms even the ones that are completely naked ?

Same things for the others!

The difficult thing here is to manage the different guards strength, arrival and reinforcement across time !

19 hours ago, Vincent255 said:

Well I've gone over it again, and reworked the Scenario again.  

A few tweaks on the scenario text, and a more substantial reworking of the Map to make it a little more like the actual Orgy Chamber - mainly by using these as reference: http://www.conancompletist.com/EN/anx/orgy_anx/orgy_annexes_img.html

Scenario VII - Fangs of the Serpent II

401670165_ScenarioVII-FangsoftheSerpentII-MapWIP2.thumb.png.22dc76da614bb1bddc89e11d53b336df.png

NB:  It's not too clear on this Map, but the Space between (3) & (4) to the right of the raised walkway is solid wall all the way up, and thus not usable space.  

VICTORY CONDITIONS

HEROES:          The Heroes win the Scenario if before the end of Turn 8[1], they have either escaped with Princess Yasimina or Thulsa Doom is killed, and at least Conan and Subotai are still alive.  

OVERLORD:      The Overlord will win should the Heroes: Fail to steal Princess Yasimina; Valeria and Conan or Subotai are killed, or; Princess Yasimina dies before the end of Turn 8.  

So this is Paradise.”  

Aided by their Skills, and the Information supplied by the Wizard Akiro, Conan Subotai, & Valeria have succeeded in their infiltration of the Mountain of Power, to the innermost sanction of Thulsa Doom’s Fortress.  

In this brightly-lit room of pungent, sickly sweet incense and depravity, their camouflage is of no use to them, but they need maintain their secrecy for only a little while longer, until they are in position to strike.  

Within the Alcove at the far end of the Orgy Chamber sits Thulsa Doom, with the Princess Yasimina beside him.  Before our Heroes is the True Face of the Cult of Set, and that of Thulsa Doom himself revealed.  

"The Infidel Defilersss.  Sshhall all Drown in Lakes of Blood.  Now they will know why they are Afraid of the Dark.  Now they will Learn, why they Fear the Night."  

HEROES:          

The Game begins with the Hero’s Turn.  The Heroes start in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram.  

Conan (Atlantean Sword)
Subotai (Hykarnian Sword)
Valeria (Sword, Rope)

OVERLORD:      

Thulsa Doom will begin in the area indicated by the Setup Diagram, Rexor & Thorgrim will not enter the Map until Turn 5 - or sooner if Summoned[1].  

SPECIAL RULES

“The Gods, I told them I would pay the Price.”:  Valeria is destined to die at the end of the Scenario even should she survive at the end of Turn 8.  

“Since they are all Servants of the Snake-God…”:  Due to all within his innermost sanctum being the Faithful of the Cult of Set, Thulsa Doom sees no need to place any guards within the Chamber itself.  As such, they will not arrive until later in the scenario, and only if Summoned. 

“If we wait a while, they will all fall asleep.”:  If by the end of Turn 4 the Heroes have remained undetected, the Overlord Units present in the Chamber will all have succumbed to the Narcotic Incense, thus unable to respond to moves made by the Hero Units.  

The True Face of Thulsa Doom:  When Thulsa Doom realises he’s in Mortal Danger (or earlier should the Overlord wish), he will shed his human form and take on the form of a massive snake as so to make possible his escape (through the tunnels at the back of the Alcove indicated on the Map).  This is comprised of 3 stages [2], requires 3 Turns to complete, and will be interrupted should a Hero Player reach him.  

“I Sssee You.”:  Thulsa Doom will be able to detect the Heroes Intrusion into his innermost sanction once per turn.  [3]

If the Heroes do not move, roll a Dice and decide High or Low, the Heroes will be detected if the Overlord is correct.  

If any Hero Unit moves, roll a Dice and select a number, the Hero will be detected if the Dice lands on any number other than the selected one.  

If any Hero Unit moves past a given point, the Hero will be detected as from his position on his Dais, Thulsa Doom will be able to see them. 

APPROACH OPTIONS 

Ultimately, how the Heroes proceed can be boiled down to three basic designs.  

SILENT APPROACH:      

Gambling on the Narcotic Drugs imposing Loss of Consciousness on the Present Overlord Units, the Heroes bide their time, remaining hidden and unmoved before carefully approaching the slumbering Princess Yasimina, stealing her away before anyone realises she’s gone Missing in the Night.  

PROS - Provided that they are unseen, they will be able to steal the Princess and leave without a fight.  Killing Thulsa Doom at this point should be simple.  

CONS - Many Turns must pass before they can begin their approach, should Thulsa Doom sssee them in this time, this option will be invalid and an immediate attack must be launched for the Heroes to have any hope for Victory.  

PREPARE TO ATTACK:  

The Heroes split up, moving themselves into position to attack on Multiple Fronts.  At the same time, they arrange distractions to induce Panic and Chaos as so to aid themselves when they launch their attack to steal the Princess.  

PROS - As this is the method used in the Movie, it is well-known.  While Thulsa Doom will be able to detect them with ease, it is likely he will escape while he has time, leaving the Princess unprotected, and easy to Steal.  The chaos created by the distractions will work in the Heroes Favour.  

CONS - Thulsa Doom will have ample time to escape, one Victory Condition will be Lost as a consequence.  You will be forced to fight your way out, and reinforcements are certain to arrive before you can escape.  

DIRECT ASSAULT:  

This is exactly what it says on the tin.  

Throwing Caution to the Four Winds (whom Crom laughs at), the Heroes mount an immediate charge for the Princess Yasimina, attacking all who stand in their way.  

PROS - The guards present will still be intoxicated, and unable to mount a serious defence, if any.  Thulsa Doom will not have time to escape, forcing him to face the Heroes.  

CONS - Should Thulsa Doom be at Stage 1 of his metamorphosis, his ‘Eye of Set’ Spell will be at maximum strength, virtually impossible to withstand.  With the battle starting so soon, Rexor & Thorgrim will arrive sooner.  

[1] - As in the movie, Rexor & Thorgrim (plus a few guards) won’t arrive until late in the Scenario.  A set number of turns after Thulsa Doom activates a mechanical alarm set by his Dais?   If Summoned sooner, they will arrive within 2 Turns.  

[2] - Again, as in the movie, this will be a slow process, and requires effort on Thulsa Doom’s part to enact.  Incidentally, could using his tail as it grows to activate the alarm work?  

[3] - The movie never did explain how Thulsa Doom was able to know they were coming, but given the powers he demonstrated, such a spell isn’t an unreasonable conclusion to reach.  And if they move, they will have to cross points where they can be seen by him, hence why the odds are stacked so highly in his favour in that case, and still very good even if they stay still.  

Edited by Florentin