Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

Hi all!

We are a couple of die-hard Conan fans ( @Florentin and me) wanting to create a campaign based on the first classic Arnold film. This is quite an ambitious project, so we have decided to start small and focus on a single scenario. The most iconic one is the final battle, the Battle of the Mounds.

So far I've made all the equipment cards based on the film (and a couple more for the second film, but that's another tale), available in Downloads section, and @Florentin is working on a great map you can see at the end of this post.

Moreover, I've learnt to use Zbrush to create custom miniatures for this project and I'll share some images of my first one soon. @Florentin is working on miniatures conversions, but I'd prefer to offer miniatures you guys can print and use.

What we need from the community is some help, to be precise these are the skills we are looking for:

- 3D modelling (we have many miniatures to create).

- Map-making.

-Scenario creation.

-Illustrations for the character sheets and enemy tiles/tokens.

In a later stage we'll look for playtesters, but we're far from there yet.

So, if you want to be part of this great adventure, join us!

Download all the files from here!!!!

Botm_01.thumb.jpg.c18754f1b8dc764e5f3099b521568299.jpg

Scenario List 

Please keep in mind this list is not final and could be subject to change, these are just rough ideas. I would like to make a campaign similar to the official one with the main difference that this would be linear, as there is no fun making a campaign based on a film and then deviate from the plot. Expect the same experience mechanic including levelling up your heroes, buying gems for a common pool and special gems for the Overlord. Despite being linear, defeat usually will make harder the next scenario.

I - Hither came Conan the Cimmerian (Two linked mini-scenarios)

Heroes: Conan

Map: Modiphius tiles (woods and dungeon)

Chased by Wolves:  Conan is chased by wolves (mechanic inspired by  the official scenario 'Run till you drop' in the Nordheim expansion).

The Altantean King: With the remaining Energy gems, Conan enters a mysterious tomb. As soon as he grasps the old sword of a forgotten king, the dead king raises!

II - The Tower of Set

Heroes: Conan, Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom or Khitai Tower from Khitai expansion

The heroes enter the dreaded Tower of Set to steal its riches. They must take out the guards in stealth and they can disguise themselves using the tunis of the acolytes and of course they must retrieve the greatest treasure there which is protected by a Giant Snake!

III - Escape! 

Map: Stygia streets (from the Stygia expansion)

The tower guards rush after the intruders through the streets of Shadizar. The heroes must fight their way through the streets and make the guards lose their trail. A vengeful camel may appear.

IV - The Tree of Woe 

Heroes: Valeria, Subotai

Map: Modiphius tiles (desert)

Conan has been trapped by his enemies and crucifiyed on a tree. His life is on the edge, but before passing away he sees his friends coming to the rescue. But they are not alone, Thorgrim has decided to defy his master Thulsa Doom and punish the Cimmerian himself for killing the giant snake he raised in the Tower of Set. This scenario will feature on the Overlord side hyenas, Thorgrim and some guards and the aim is to protect Conan and exit the board.

V - The spirits here ask a heavy toll

Heroes: Valeria, Subotai

Map: Custom Mounds map

Akiro has cast a spell on Conan to save his life but the Spirits of the Mounds will try to claim his soul before dawn.

VI - The Fangs of the Serpent I

Map: Stygia tunnels (from the Stygia expansion)

Having recovered his strength, Conan and his companions head back to the Mountain of Power to recover the daughter of King Osric, now an adept of the Serpent God. First they have to sneak into the mountain using a secret entrance, dark tunnels lead them deep into the heart of the mountain.

VII - The Fangs of the Serpent II

Map: Custom (Mountain of Power Hall)

Inside the halls under the mountain, the warriors must make their way through the Princess and they will come across an unexpected scene. They must seize the Princess and escape. This scenario corresponds to 'the orgy' scene. Yes, I plan to include the 'green soup'.

VIII - The Battle of the Mounds

Heroes: Conan, Subotai (with Akiro as ally)

Map: Custom (Mounds)

The epic battle among the standing stones! Thulsa Doom will come with all his might to recover the princess and blood will be spilled and bones crushed. CROM COUNT THE DEAD!

I'll probably make Thulsa Doom take an active role and be defeated here to end the campaign.

Done: https://the-overlord.net/index.php?/topic/265-conan-the-barbarian-campaign/&do=findComment&comment=4409

1127604821665541442.jpg

How to contribute

If you're reading this is because you like this project and you want to make it happen, THANKS!

If you want to help us out, this is what we need:

Art for tiles

We would like to produce material as close as posible to the style and quality of Monolith's. In the case of tiles we need full body illustration (movie stills with filters to make them look like art are aceptable, like those in the Hero sheets). I can provide reference pictures. This is what we need (in red):

Liutenants

------------> Giant Snake

Allies / Others

All done!

Units

------------> Acolytes of Set

------------>Priests of Set 

------------> Choosen of Set

------------> Temple Guards 

Stats for tiles

General rule here is the stats must be original, not clones or any existing one and they must fit the film.

Liutenants

Allies / Others

All done!

Units

------------> Acolytes of Set (fanatics with tunics and poisoned daggers)

------------>Priests of Set  (spell-casters, poor melee fighters)

------------> Choosen of Set (a more powerful version of the former)

------------> Temple Guards  (guards in 'the orgy' scene with leather armours, canon fooder)

Custom maps

This is our biggest problem. We need the following:

- Mounds (in progress): @Florentin is working on it.

------------>  Tower of Set: To be discussed, but probably something like the khitai tower map, with a half-map representing the snake pit. 

------------>  Mountain of Power Hall

conan-11.png

Scenario design

We'll wait to have the Modiphius tiles in hand before deciding which scenarios will do ourselves and which scenarios are needed.  Our resources are scarce and we are already focussed in The Battle of the Mounds scenario.

Proxy Miniatures

We need to find proxy miniatures for all this! The rule here is no conversions allowed, the miniature need to be a good match straight out of the blister. Help us scout for proxies!

Note: My Conan 3D model will be available for free when finished. I'm in no way affiliated with any miniature company which appears here.

Heroes

-   Conan (custom 3D model in progress)

------------>   Subotai

- Valeria (link)

image.jpg

Liutenants

-Thulsa Doom (link)

image.jpg

------------>  Thorgrim 

------------>  Rewxor 

Allies / Others

------------> Akiro 

- Princess (link)

image.jpg

Units

------------> Temple Guards  (guards in 'the orgy' scene with leather armours, canon fooder)

------------> Fangs of Set (heavily armoured guards of the Mountain of Power)

Join our Barbarian Team!

zqWyb.jpg

Edited by Arthadan
Download link added
  • Like 6

It is time!!!

I have been learning 3D modelling with a teacher who works for the study producing Infinity miniatures.

Of course I have in mind to boost this project with some custom miniatures.

The face is not mine and the body was heavily corrected by my teacher, the rest is mine. Far from finished, but something to wet your appetite.

Conan.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome Dog brother!

We have no deadlines, but having at least one illustration before the end of the year to keep the project moving forward would be great.

Illustrations needed

TILES

(foot version all of them, we may refine the scenario in the future to have mounted versions as well, but let's start small).

- Rexor

- Thorgrim

- Guards

HEROES

- Conan

-Subotai

- Akiro

Since we're aiming for a campaign, heroes should be without armour.

Make your pick and let us know!

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@jpuglio has kindly created a PDF file you can find in the Download section with hero sheets for the main characters a tiles for the main villains. Thanks man!

With his permission, we will replace the illustrations and tweak the stats for this project. The Conan hero sheet is just a preview, before we adjust skills and stats.

hoja4.jpg

Edited by Arthadan
Small update, correcting the brown background.
  • Like 3

If you are changing the images and the stats then they are no longer my cards. I did not give you permission or consent. I said "do what you want" as I have no legal copyright or ownership of the cards, images or characters. The cards are a work of fan art and are free for those who want them for whatever use they see fit as long as it is not commercial.

I would also like to add that I am not associated with your project in any way as I have no idea of its purpose or goal other than a fan project. Good luck with it.

My unaltered cards will remain posted for those who wish to download them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our aim is to offer a free fan-made campaign based on the film Conan the Barbarian, including hero sheets, equipment cards, spells, enemy tiles, maps and any other material we deem necessary. However we are focusing on creating a single scenario first and take it from there.

As a fan project with no profits whatsoever involved, I understand it is fair use of the images. I will include a disclamer in the file with the hero sheets when I have all them ready and zipped for download.

Different versions of the characters can only be enriching for the community, so I think it's great to have them!

Edited: Regarding stats, is not sure as this point that we change them. They look spot on, but we'll know for sure when we're done playtesting.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

I'm not sure we need Akiro. After all his role in the battle is providing the weapons and armours but during the battle itself, he makes some clumsy attacks and he doesn't cast a single spell. I think an Ally tile would suffice because a hero sheet true to the film wouldn't be very appealing to play with.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

I don't know anything concerning the way you want to develope this project, but do you plan a sort of evolution for the characters?

I mean, do you remeber the trailer of the movie? 'slave, gladiator, thief...etc' that movie is a kind of 'coming of age story'....

So, are you planning more than a single conan sheets to recreate the character evolution?

• Like 1

@Xaltotun  thanks for your interest!

So far we are not considering hero development because the slave and gladiator periods don't offer much gaming opportunities, and because we prefer to have all 3 heroes in all scenarios.

Perhaps a experience system similar to the one featured in the Devil in Iron could be implemented, allowing heroes to get new skills and gems for a common pool, but it's to early to be certain.

Regarding tiles, we'll be using @jpuglio stats for heroes and main villains as he's fine with that, replacing the illustrations.  You can check out his work in the Download section.

I'll make a post later with:

- Preliminary list of scenarios.

- Minion Tiles needed.

- Ally Tile needed (Akiro).

- Proxy miniatures.

If you want to help us with the tiles, you are more than welcome!

Depending on your graphic skills, you can work out the stats and skills and I'll add the graphic or you can make the whole tile. Better to let us know the stats you have in mind before working on the tile, so we can discuss if they fit the film and the role we have in mind for that character/unit in the scenarios. The style we are after is getting as close as we can to the official tiles, not an easy task!

Regarding priority order, we need first tiles used in The Battle of the Mounds, because getting this scenario done is our first milestone.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

Here I come again!

This is a new type card  (hero event card) and it will be used in the scenario The Battle of the Mounds. Conan will have it since the start of the game, can use it any time for free and it has this  effect:

When the hero is attacked and the attack power has been determined, the hero may choose to use this card to ignore the attack. The attacker cannot be activated again during this Overlord phase or in the next one. If the attacker is part of a unit tile, the tile can be activated but that character cannot move nor attack (the rest can act normally).

Valeria.png

Valeria_back.png

• Like 2

After sleeping over, I've decided to change the effect slightly:

This card comes into effect after Conan loses his last energy gem. Conan recover energy gems as if the last attack against him has not taken place and the attacker cannot perform any action during the rest of this Overlord phase or the next.

@NURTHOR I think the text is a bit long to be included in the card if I want to keep the illustration. I'll give it a try anyway, see if I can make it work. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

Ok. I'll try to work on some tiles, just to see if my way of working is ok. Then I'll show you the results and you'll tell me what you think about, changes to be made, etc.. Ok?

I'll start capturing images from the dvd for Battle of the Mounds and the snake... and let's see.

I'd start with these:

------------> Rexor  (Battle of the Mounds outfit)

Allies / Others

------------> Akiro (Battle of the Mounds outfit)

Doom's soldiers at the battle of the Mounds??? needed?

Let me know

On 11/9/2017 at 1:39 PM, Arthadan said:

@Xaltotun  thanks for your interest!

So far we are not considering hero development because the slave and gladiator periods don't offer much gaming opportunities, and because we prefer to have all 3 heroes in all scenarios.

Perhaps a experience system similar to the one featured in the Devil in Iron could be implemented, allowing heroes to get new skills and gems for a common pool, but it's to early to be certain.

Regarding tiles, we'll be using @jpuglio stats for heroes and main villains as he's fine with that, replacing the illustrations.  You can check out his work in the Download section.

I'll make a post later with:

- Preliminary list of scenarios.

- Minion Tiles needed.

- Ally Tile needed (Akiro).

- Proxy miniatures.

If you want to help us with the tiles, you are more than welcome!

Depending on your graphic skills, you can work out the stats and skills and I'll add the graphic or you can make the whole tile. Better to let us know the stats you have in mind before working on the tile, so we can discuss if they fit the film and the role we have in mind for that character/unit in the scenarios. The style we are after is getting as close as we can to the official tiles, not an easy task!

Regarding priority order, we need first tiles used in The Battle of the Mounds, because getting this scenario done is our first milestone.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Ok. I'll try to work on some tiles, just to see if my way of working is ok. Then I'll show you the results and you'll tell me what you think about, changes to be made, etc.. Ok?

I'll start capturing images from the dvd for Battle of the Mounds and the snake... and let's see.

I'd start with these:

------------> Rexor  (Battle of the Mounds outfit)

Allies / Others

------------> Akiro (Battle of the Mounds outfit)

Doom's soldiers at the battle of the Mounds??? needed?

Let me know

@Xaltotun Great! Can't wait to see your contributions.

About Doom's soldiers, they'd be what I called 'Fangs of Set':

Units

------------> Fangs of Set (heavily armoured guards of the Mountain of Power)

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Ok. Honestly my graphical skills are not at best, but I have time and patience to work and rework...

So I'll work on:

Giant Snake
Rexor at the battle of the Mounds

Fangs of Set

Akiro

Ok?

@Xaltotun Perfect!

If you have an ultrahigh definition copy of the movie (Bluray or similar), just the screen captures would help. Remember we need (if posible) full body figures, just like in the official tiles.

• Like 1

And here comes the Campaign Event card 'All the Gods, they cannot sever us', to be used in the Battle of the Mounds scenario.

Thanks @NURTHOR for the suggestion of adding the text. The less text in the Special Rules section of the scenario, the better.

Could some native English speaker proofread the text in the card?

Also, could some French native speaker provide a translation? I'd like to make all the material in both languages, as they are both the 'official' languages of the game.

Valeria_2.png

• Like 3