Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

WONDERFUL!!!

My only doubt is: are you sure he could attack by 2 red dice? I mean he never uses a sword in all the movie unless for chopping the head of Conan mother after being hipnotized her.
When Conan is prisoned he said him that the riddle of steel is nothing compared to the power, persuasion over human mind. Infact he still ask Conan for it? But he seems no more interested in steel. When John Milius and Arnold comment the famous scene when Conan break his father's sword, duelling against Rexor, if I'm not wrong, the say that steel is nothing compared to the arm that hold it. So this is simply to explain my doubt: Doom tries to speak, persuade, hypnotize, like a kind of 'devil', he's not a man of war in the movie, and - if my memory doesnt fail - not even in one Kull tale in which he appears.

Probably an Overlord would use such a strong character to fight in melee agains the heros

So, it's only my personal opinion and my suggestion. Hope this can help! ;-)

Your work is marvellous, anyway!

• Like 4

Those are very good points @Xaltotun. I want the tile to be versatile enough so it can represent Thulsa Doom at the beginning of the movie as well (imagine an OL vs OL scenario in Conan village...)

Despite not being a warrior type, he rides into battle in full armor, he doesn't strike me as a spell-caster that can't fight.

Perhaps one more point of Defense because his full armor and downgrading his attack to :orangerel::orange:?

Edited: @jpuglio, would you like to join us discussing the stats?

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 3

I'd certainly love to be a part of this project, I have no image software or cad modelling talent at all. My main skills are in physically sculpting and converting minis which isn't the way you're going. I'll find something I can help with I'm sure.

When another post asked for suggestions for fan maps the first alternatives I thought of were the mounds battle and the "Orgy scene" with the central pillar and all the steps. I'd make a paper overlay  of the snake pit to superimpose over the central pillar and replace it for the Eye of Set raid mission.

I'd intended to make mound overlays for the pict huts on that map to turn it into a poor man's mounds map but it looks like that mini-project's no longer going to be required heh.

By photocopying bits of the existing maps and other map resources at the right size and cutting them to fit over established zones on the Monolith maps I'd intended to change the flow and terrain of them for my own use. The marshes are pretty blank canvases and the fort can benefit from moving around and/or removing the wall breaches.

A thin sheet of clear acetate always goes over my bluetacked mapping boards and tiles for rpg anyway, always has. I have three 4x4' plywood/acetate combos to place over the table that itself has a 6x4. It allows for predone setups of towers, dungeons and other levels/areas as the players reach them, and stops elbow/beer/coffee disasters.

I use drywipe markers to draw stuff over the maps, firewalls, traps, all sorts of stuff. I set up fake maps on the boards and stack them as if ready sometimes to mislead nosy players as to what will be coming along in the session.

If needed I can draw on new zoning with drywipes too, to experiment with improving the substituted bits or to change the flow of movement and fighting.

Using mapstuff under glass isn't anything new, they drove me mad before I got hold of some broken, crappy acetate DIY double glazing units. Being able to  modify boardgame boards without damaging them makes it twice as useful tho.

Maybe we could come up with "paper over" options to modify and expand the potential of the new maps being made for this project?

PS    For the movie project I'd definately go for a Thulsa Doom, that has worthwhile sword skills as a legacy of his earlier days.

That's his riddle of steel as I see it, that he searched for steel in his youth, to build a steel clad super force.  Ironically through that great undertaking he learned that the control he'd then gained over so many people was by far the greater power. By the time Conan found him again he was focussed on recruiting and indoctrinating the young. that doesn't mean he'd forgotten how to use his feet in a fight or how to turn a parry into a riposte

PPS     Regarding Akiro at the battle of the mounds, don't underestimate the dynamics of having a weaker character present in a scenario, he becomes a focus to be chased/attacked which means he has to be protected by the party and so can also be used as bait for a counterploy. You'd be surprised how many times a weak in combat character can still be the one to tip the balance at a critical moment. He has earned his right to be there   ;0)

Plus he'd make an ideal bait to catch out Thorgrim with that lovely iconic trap...

Trap: move any character into an adjacent unoccupied zone in order to replace him with a "Huge Spiky Trap" counter and roll it's attack on any enemy in the space he just moved out of???                                                                                                   

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2017 at 10:17 AM, Arthadan said:

I - Hither came Conan the Cimmerian (Two linked mini-scenarios)

Heroes: Conan

Map: Modiphius tiles (woods and dungeon)

Chased by Wolves:  Conan is chased by wolves (mechanic inspired by  the official scenario 'Run till you drop' in the Nordheim expansion).

The Altantean King: With the remaining Energy gems, Conan enters a mysterious tomb. As soon as he grasps the old sword of a forgotten king, the dead king raises!

Subotai is hands down my favourite Conan character

Could we add in another scenario to this chapter pls?

After The Atlantean King couls we add "Dinner for Wolves"

On the same map as used for Chased by Wolves could we add a couple of turns of Subotia unable to leave his starting zone (chained), defending himself from a  small wolfpack with  just stones and a piece of chain.

Then Conan arrives, closely followed by a Hyaena Alpha and his pack that's smelt blood. (Wolves are smart - at this point the survivors run off immediately)

Hyaena alpha could be a shapeshifter, maybe a sorceror who's dominated the pack, or one of the demon minis. Perhaps set options chosen randomly  before the start with a chit that's been concealed under a cup or perhaps Overlord's priveledge instead?

Did I mention Subotai is my favourite?

My Conan RPG character was called Subodai - no relation

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

@Stonewolf actually I'm cosidering to have one solo scenario for each character. 

I - Hither came Conan the Cimmerian (Conan)

IV - The Tree of Woe (Subotai)

V - The spirits here ask a heavy toll (Valeria)

How does that sound to you?

Absolutely ideal, from both a character and a game scope point of view

I say that but then the music change as Valeria and Subotai crest that dune is one of the great Conan movie moments, she really should be there I think.

Maybe a  Subitai solo that leads to him chained up as dinner for wolves?

A failed robbery, a no honour among theives situation.. Hyperboria is your oyster ;0)

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Stonewolf sorry, I skipped your first pot of today.

Regarding Akiro, yes weak characters count and they can change the outcome of a scenario... but all my players complaint about them! Most people would like to play Conan or Subotai and "get things done" instead of playing the helpless clumsy old man. That's why I rather have Akiro as a somewhat strong ally rather than a weak hero.

And of course you can help! Scenarios will need extensive playtesting, anything I write will need to be proofreaded by native speakers... the work is endless, but that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

:ambidextre:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthadan said:

@Stonewolf sorry, I skipped your first pot of today.

Regarding Akiro, yes weak characters count and they can change the outcome of a scenario... but all my players complaint about them! Most people would like to play Conan or Subotai and "get things done" instead of playing the helpless clumsy old man. That's why I rather have Akiro as a somewhat strong ally rather than a weak hero.

And of course you can help! Scenarios will need extensive playtesting, anything I write will need to be proofreaded by native speakers... the work is endless, but that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

For Akiro there's merit in the strong ally vs weak character choice as you say, and he mustn't be a remotely competent warrior. Not belabouring the point (I hope anyway)

Anyone who loves the films would love him anyway - maybe though he's no hand to hand killer he does bring the favour of the gods (ok... it takes the  material form of rusty old bits and pieces of armour strung on a spear), what exciting but non-flashy option could this make for?  He didn't throw any spells that I saw

The warrior falls off his horse then,        "I kiiilled hiiiim............  with my speeeeear"

"That's how we do it!"

Noone should be struck by lightning but even Thulsa Doom's accursed seeker shot boinged into a hastily flung out shield for some reason

To be honest as I write this and despite my love of the old git I'm seeing him more as a part of the Mounds setting than as a primary participant, and that spells ally. Look! I persuaded myself heh

If he's going to be an ally then maybe the favour of the gods was the reason few stood against many - all characters get a free reroll for almost everything?

That would do it !    and he'd still get the odd satisfying poke in with a spear I'm sure!

OOOH! I am a native speaker! I can do that!   Lived and worked in the States for years so I speak both kinds of english. And I can playtest plenty too

Edited by Stonewolf

@StonewolfYou have just given me the missing piece for Akiro!

My idea for him is high Defense (scavenged armor),  poor attack, Reach and Spell-caster skills.

He can be activated once for free every hero turn. He will move and perform one action, attack or spell.

Any hero can spend gems to give him a movement benefit or a rerolls.

The missing piece was the spell, and here it is, thanks to you!

Favor of the Gods

cost 1/1

effect: target character may add one skill dice for free when using a skill during this turn.

What do you think?

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

Hi guys!
Sorry for my delay: There's a lot to read, to think about and then reply. So I'll do bettet in the next days..
By now here's something for my Lord @Arthadan

I found this (unfortunatelly lq) pic, but very useful I hope. At the moment I only partially isolated the human figure, deleting the sky. I hope I can complete the helm and his legs, or... poor Rexor. Once finished I try with another one with Rexor battling Conan at the very end of the Battle. So you can choose what's better.

anyway Look at the steel sword... Could be an army card needed?

No problem for the pics. Really Feel free to ask more and more if you need! I'm pleased to help your project.

I'll reply tomorrow to your question about Doom with a little idea. ...lets see... and to @Stonewall's posts

Sleep with one eye opened, barbarians, or you'll wake up in hell!

Goodnight"

59bb07e0e2ed6_Rexoronprogress.thumb.jpg.955a739fce452a245e1f178618f3cd48.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xaltotun said:

anyway Look at the steel sword... Could be an army card need?

Definately need that sword, it's the one Conan's father forged during the opening credits and that they took from his body, it's the one that failed Rexor at the mounds when he fought Conan.

Afterwards Conan hacks off Thulsa's head with the shard

Thock..        thok..     thok  thok  thokthok  thok...

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 1

I got you covered!

Check out the Equipment cards (in the Download section, link in the first post). There you'll find Conan's father sword (two versions, whole and broken). Definitely Rexor will drop the sword when killed in the battle of the Mounds scenario. :wink:

@Xaltotun that Rexor pic looks great! Let's see what you can do with it. Leave the Art filters to me, so I apply the same and we get a consistent style for all the tiles.

When I'm done with Thorgrim, I'll work on the Princess tile. In a first version of the movie script she's called Yasmina, but I think the name doesn't fit a Shadizar Princess. What do you think, shall I name the tile "Yasmina" or just "Princess"?

And I'm waiting for your input about Thulsa Doom... So far I'm leaning towards downgrading the attack to oranges and perhaps one more defense point.

Fight on brothers!

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Arthadan said:

And I'm waiting for your input about Thulsa Doom... So far I'm leaning towards downgrading the attack to oranges and perhaps one more defense point.

I need to rewatch the later parts of the movie and see if he's still wearing a blade despite his change of philosophy - that would steer my thinking

Mind a quick google of images has him wearing a matching pair of swords (in a ridiculous rig for drawing, fighting or riding with them - so they and the heavy armour may have been for show) when he was on the steel hunt, but I can't see anything on him during the orgy scene or the orphans of doom scene at the end.

Whatever blade skills remained to him he can't cut with what he's left at home...

Edited by Stonewolf

1 hour ago, Stonewolf said:

I need to rewatch the later parts of the movie and see if he's still wearing a blade despite his change of philosophy - that would steer my thinking

Mind a quick google of images has him wearing a matching pair of swords (in a ridiculous rig for drawing, fighting or riding with them - so they and the heavy armour may have been for show) when he was on the steel hunt, but I can't see anything on him during the orgy scene or the orphans of doom scene at the end.

Whatever blade skills remained to him he can't cut with what he's left at home...

I do believe the ridiculous rig of his swords is an stylistic choice of the film, same as the ridiculously big hammer Thorgrim has.

Thulsa Doom pretend to be a spiritual leader, hence he wears no weapons in presence of his followers, moreover not even Rexor and Thorgrim were battle-ready in the Mountain of Power because they were at home, surrounded by guards and feeling safe.

I believe Thulsa Doom prefers to let others to take the blows for him, but if pressed hard he can defend himself with a blade, if spells fail and it comes to that. Also, I think it's only fitting he uses poisoned weapons hence incrementing his damage. So his attack dice would not only come from his combat skill.

Hi guys!

AKIRO

17 hours ago, Arthadan said:

@StonewolfYou have just given me the missing piece for Akiro!

My idea for him is high Defense (scavenged armor),  poor attack, Reach and Spell-caster skills.

He can be activated once for free every hero turn. He will move and perform one action, attack or spell.

Any hero can spend gems to give him a movement benefit or a rerolls.

The missing piece was the spell, and here it is, thanks to you!

Favor of the Gods

cost 1/1

effect: target character may add one skill dice for free when using a skill during this turn.

What do you think?

It sounds a very nice idea!
I'd add him a "support" image.png.b362bb5667fc0ee2b7901dc8d22d8794.png, or a kind of particular "counter attack": he can roll a counterattack when another hero in his area is attacked: that's what have saved to Subotai!

TRAPS

Now, the 3 heroes had prepared a strong defence, fortressing their area and preparing a trap (they chose the battlefield!). My idea is to create a number of rounded tokens with some weapons and only one trap (the one that had killed Thorgrin) and several blank ones. Before the scenario begins the heroes will put a face down token in some of the areas of the map (note: there's definitely no need for a token for each area). Everytime they step in an area with a token they (only the heroes!) could change their weapon (remember what Conan and Subotai do??) with a no manipulation needed (they knew the place and moved quick on their battlefield). When an enemy moves on the trap token the heroes can decide to turn and play it (how? Rolling a dice?).
Thulsa Doom knights didn't know the terrain of the battlefield: Conan Subotai and Akiro did.

What do you think?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I believe Thulsa Doom prefers to let others to take the blows for him, but if pressed hard he can defend himself with a blade, if spells fail and it comes to that. Also, I think it's only fitting he uses poisoned weapons hence incrementing his damage. So his attack dice would not only come from his combat skill.

I must agree with Arthadan.
So basically here are my suggestions:

Who is Doom?
-Both in Howard (Kull's tales) and in Milius movie he's more ancient than humans; and he's metamorphic (in many Howard tales a race who lived before mankind were kind of lizardmen/snakemen that were defeated by men, once they appeared)
-He's a chief: he goes in battle, give strength with his presence to his men, but seem no to use a sword like a warrior'd do.

-During the assault to the Cimmerian Village he didn't use the sword, until the battle is over: he just test the steel sword beheading Conan mum, after having influenced her with her eyes (He'll trying to do the same with his words to Conan himself before being killed)

-He's more a "spell speaker" than a "spell caster" probably, but he knows magic when he turns a snake into an arrow and threw it in the night to seek and kill Valeria;
-In the final battle he stood with his standard bearear on the hill top, outside the proper battlefield, and watch. He just come closer when Thorgrim is killed but stops immediately. When also Rexor is dead and all of his small army is killed (Note: he still have more warrior, some of them are killed by Conan when he goes to kill him at the end of the movie - last scenario???-, but probably he thought he could have won against so few enemies), he throws an arrow to kill the princess, the one that Subotai (and Akiro was there too) stops with his shield (could be interesting in case the objective of the scenario is to take or kill the princess for the Overlord).
-He wear a complete armour.

-He's not strong in attack melee: it is necessary to test the scenario to check his strength, but I guess that using "Fascination" could be the solution, so 2 orange dice can be good.
-He must have a good defence, so 3 of armour is good, I guess.
-Heroes who attack him couldn't be allowed to reroll

- "FASCINATION" image.png.41f96db001e116ea024ca5286c402dd2.png is a good solution (hey mr. Overlord, would you like to use him as a fighter? At your own risk...)

-Is it necessary for him "UNTOUCHABLE"? No, he has Fascination already...
-He definitively should have a special SUPPORT in my opinion: once per turn he can choose an area and all the Overlord figures there could reroll.
-He should be good in Range attack, or he might have a single spell (only one) to throw a very dangerous arrow.

-All of his warrior could "Sacrifice"image.png.8e995c5fc7cac3cce99a62d9bd869186.png , and should be "Bodyguard" image.png.ff9d4d0730d5ed551a522ef2dad84e4c.png

- He should be also "PROTECTED" image.png.94fc9f4ec473f163bdeb9cf7f4c77dab.png

The Objective of the Overlord could be to rescue the princess, or if all the other Overlord figures are dead, Doom could try to kill her. In this case the scenario could end in draw.
The Objective of the Heroes to keep the Princess (who's tied, so the Overlord figure should need a manipulation to free her).
What do you think?

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

AKIRO

I'd add him a "support" image.png.b362bb5667fc0ee2b7901dc8d22d8794.png, or a kind of particular "counter ": he can roll a counterattack when another hero in his area is attacked: that's what have saved to Subotai!

I was going to give him Reach and Spell-casting, but I'll swap Reach for Support as it seems just  right. Thanks!

About adding rules variation as the counter-attack, I'd say no. The scenario will be rule-heavy already. Just activate Akiro to attack and that's it.

BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS

TRAPS

Now, the 3 heroes had prepared a strong defence, fortressing their area and preparing a trap (they chose the battlefield!). My idea is to create a number of rounded tokens with some weapons and only one trap (the one that had killed Thorgrin) and several blank ones. Before the scenario begins the heroes will put a face down token in some of the areas of the map (note: there's definitely no need for a token for each area). Everytime they step in an area with a token they (only the heroes!) could change their weapon (remember what Conan and Subotai do??) with a no manipulation needed (they knew the place and moved quick on their battlefield). When an enemy moves on the trap token the heroes can decide to turn and play it (how? Rolling a dice?).
Thulsa Doom knights didn't know the terrain of the battlefield: Conan Subotai and Akiro did.

Unlike real life, heroes can carry many weapons and use any of them at any time and they can't lose them in the fight. There will be some predetermined weapons in some areas, namely javelins and THE shield (check the equipment cards). All heroes will start with armour, Conan with the huge axe, the Atlantean sword and the helmet and Subotai with his bow and sword.

Regarding traps, there will be 5 fixed areas where the trap can be placed. All of them will have a number token which will be flipped the first time an enemy enters, only one (chosen by the heroes before the starts of the game) will contain the trap. The trap would be :rougerel::rougerel: without any kind of defense.

I try to reuse existing mechanics for the traps and keep them simple, so players are already familiar with them. The rules "complication" will come withthe Mounted miniatures.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1