Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

7 hours ago, Arthadan said:

@Xaltotun that Rexor pic looks great! Let's see what you can do with it. Leave the Art filters to me, so I apply the same and we get a consistent style for all the tiles.

Thanks God!! I'll be pleased to leave the Art filters to you: I don't think I could recreate something similar to your Doom tile! ;-)

BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS

-In the final battle he stood with his standard bearear on the hill top, outside the proper battlefield, and watch. He just come closer when Thorgrim is killed but stops immediately. When also Rexor is dead and all of his small army is killed (Note: he still have more warrior, some of them are killed by Conan when he goes to kill him at the end of the movie - last scenario???-, but probably he thought he could have won against so few enemies), he throws an arrow to kill the princess, the one that Subotai (and Akiro was there too) stops with his shield (could be interesting in case the objective of the scenario is to take or kill the princess for the Overlord).

Victory conditions will change for the OL during game. While Thorgrim and Rexor are alive, the OL must recover the Princess and exit the board with her, but when they die, the OL just by killing the Princess. There will be a turn limit as well.

The Heroes win if they prevent the OL victory conditions to happen or if they kill Thulsa Doom.

THULSA DOOM

-He's not strong in attack melee: it is necessary to test the scenario to check his strength, but I guess that using "Fascination" could be the solution, so 2 orange dice can be good.
-He must have a good defence, so 3 of armour is good, I guess.
-Heroes who attack him couldn't be allowed to reroll

- "FASCINATION" image.png.41f96db001e116ea024ca5286c402dd2.png is a good solution (hey mr. Overlord, would you like to use him as a fighter? At your own risk...)

-Is it necessary for him "UNTOUCHABLE"? No, he has Fascination already...
-He definitively should have a special SUPPORT in my opinion: once per turn he can choose an area and all the Overlord figures there could reroll.
-He should be good in Range attack, or he might have a single spell (only one) to throw a very dangerous arrow.

-All of his warrior could "Sacrifice"image.png.8e995c5fc7cac3cce99a62d9bd869186.png , and should be "Bodyguard" image.png.ff9d4d0730d5ed551a522ef2dad84e4c.png

- He should be also "PROTECTED" image.png.94fc9f4ec473f163bdeb9cf7f4c77dab.png

Agreed aboutthe attack.

Since killing him is an immediate winning for the heroes, I'll give him Defense 4. 

About skills I can only give him two, I think the two he has are spot on, :fascination: and :lanceur_sort:

By the way, here it is his spell:

Sort2.png

• Like 1

If this can help, Doom arrives on the top of the hill when the battle has already begun and both Conan and Subotai have killed many enemies (not Thorgrim yet). If you remember the movie theme, just before the music changes.

He stops and look at the battlefield, then moves a bit forward, but he immediately stands still and staring when Thorgrim is dying (last picture)...

...ok maybe it was just to have the occasion to rewatch these sequences... :happy:

Image5.thumb.jpg.54174d53f6060fcadccb5759aa05c9c4.jpgImage9.thumb.jpg.85d85e7408a28c27f8138241eab3d3b1.jpgImage6.thumb.jpg.71dba8111f102905b587cee7bc757983.jpgImage7.thumb.jpg.4a9aad405a18dd5c5a05af8dbf83e279.jpgImage8.thumb.jpg.b7510658edd273d6f2c0f619f458d0b2.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS

Victory conditions will change for the OL during game. While Thorgrim and Rexor are alive, the OL must recover the Princess and exit the board with her, but when they die, the OL just by killing the Princess. There will be a turn limit as well.

The Heroes win if they prevent the OL victory conditions to happen or if they kill Thulsa Doom.

THULSA DOOM

Agreed aboutthe attack.

Since killing him is an immediate winning for the heroes, I'll give him Defense 4. 

About skills I can only give him two, I think the two he has are spot on, :fascination: and :lanceur_sort:

By the way, here it is his spell:

Sort2.png

I think it might work good.

...CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT! :w00t:

Edited by Xaltotun

@Arthadan

About the Princess name, I must confess I don't know what to say.

I found nothing on the credits at the end of the movie.

Anyway you have a third possibility:

- Princess Yasmina of Zamora

-The Princess of Zamora

...King Osric was the ruler of Zamora

http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/King_Osric

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I do believe the ridiculous rig of his swords is an stylistic choice of the film, same as the ridiculously big hammer Thorgrim has.

The rig of his swords can be explained only 3 ways

1. They are not sword hilts, they are carefully camouflaged external reinforcing stays for his corset - see heavy armour styling

2.  He's riding a small bicycle and they're not sword hilts - they're the handlebars

3.  They're a stylistic choice of the film,  same as the ridiculously big hammer Thorgrim has.

Now you know that Thorgrim didn't have a hammer - it was a hobby horse he rode throughout the movie, only after the filming did they realise the ears and mane had fallen off.

• Haha 1

Guys this encountr has shaken down so well and so quickly, I really like all of the final options that have been chosen.

I really think it will play out really well and more importantly with the weapon swapping/trap mechanics, the supporting cast and the dark sorceror who can now get into the heart of the conflict if he chooses I think it is totally recognisable and yet has much more potential to play out many different ways.

A great start to a major and much loved project, nice work!

PS     Thulsa Doom's soldiers now have a new battlecry     "Thorgrim's trousers!!"

and we all know he's not pleased to see us... he used to keep a snake he raised in those bad boys

Edited by Stonewolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stonewolf said:

Guys this encountr has shaken down so well and so quickly, I really like all of the final options that have been chosen.

I really think it will play out really well and more importantly with the weapon swapping/trap mechanics, the supporting cast and the dark sorceror who can now get into the heart of the conflict if he chooses I think it is totally recognisable and yet has much more potential to play out many different ways.

I have to say you are improving my ideas and it's great to have you on board!

:ambidextre:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I have to say you are improving my ideas and it's great to have you on board!

Generous of you given I've mostly just chattered heh

I'm glad to be on board but I still have no boards!   So hard waiting for my boxes to turn up heh

Wife is already fed up with my enthusiasm, and the mess I'm making sculpting Black Ones now I no longer have an office at home to corral the mess.

She's going out tomorrow in self defence...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonewolf said:

I quote you: you really said it!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xaltotun said:

I quote you: you really said it!!

Best thing about that is that I mean it because it is true

Which is a fantastic result given this project was begun with huge ambition and has all the potential to give so much fun so close to the Conan material that actually brought so many of us to the books.

To see that first part, first essential bite of the project come together so well, so quickly, real work accomplished, hard work (just how do you make a map like that?)       getting done.

Not only is it fun and satisfying but it bodes a successful awesome, essential to the canon project.

• Like 1

I'll be out of town for five days, so no new tiles for a few days.

@Xaltotun, how are you progresing with Rexor? Also, could you find a good screen capture of Akiro with armour and spear, and perhaps the same image I've used for the Yasmina with better quality?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

@Arthadan 

I completely erased the background and trying to add the legs, taking them from other screenshots. 

I think to send you my results by wednesday. 

No problems for the screenshots. I have already some of Akiro, but unfortunately not so good positions to work on for making a tile.

Cheers!

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

Hi team,

I was not very present on this topic (because very busy these last times) even if I found you very active and I find your ideas very interesting ! :dwarf:

Even If Crom often doesn't care of human beings I'm certain he is glad of your work! :sorcerer:

Moreover, you are doing a very good job with all the tiles!

To help you in doing them I did some research on the net, and I found some links towards hundreds of drawings & pictures !

Maybe the link 1, link 2 and link 3 could help you to do the missing tiles 

Below find a small extract from the links above where very skillful artists drew  beautiful pictures about the "Conan the barbarian"  movie!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2017 at 5:55 PM, Arthadan said:

@Stonewolf actually I'm cosidering to have one solo scenario for each character. 

I - Hither came Conan the Cimmerian (Conan)

IV - The Tree of Woe (Subotai)

V - The spirits here ask a heavy toll (Valeria)

How does that sound to you?

I've been thinking about this and it really works as a solo scenario for Subotai if Valeria is present, but just as an ally who's first concern is fussing over Conan

Subotai has to cover them and fend off all comers.

A suggestion as to how it could be handled, just to get us talking:

Stage 1.     First a die roll for how long it takes her to get him down off the Tree of Woe                 (d3?)       Fight off the vultures?

Stage 2.     Then roll for her time fussing over him on the ground and trying to bring him round   (2d3?)     The hyenas smelt blood...    One ear and his pack

Stage 3.     They stagger slowly toward the map exit with Conan draped over her                                            Thorgrim's revenge (a kill on Thorgrim would make him retreat instead - need him for later)

Stagger to the edge mechanic - C&V must choose between 4 exit areas, one on each map edge and end each turn closer to the one chosen except:

They may not enter a zone that contains a surviving enemy. 

If all routes toward the target are blocked the player may then choose another exit for them to go for if wished

Valeria takes a retaliation swing at anything that attacks her or C,  preferably just one dice - we'll need a "Valeria as ally" card, the two of them have a joint wounds total listed on it

Once Conan and Valeria exit the map alive the little guy's work is done

*One ear the pack alpha may be a heroic enemy with his own card and an applicable skill

Lots of choice of mechanics we could think up and use  instead, solo scenarios need extra playtesting and careful thought as they're unforgiving

• Like 1