Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

On 23/11/2017 at 12:29 AM, Arthadan said:

Board rules, as promised. This is the version 0, just for internal use until we all agree. I think I have downloaded an old version of the map, I'll update the image with the last one but it serves to give you an idea.

I'm afraid I'd need a last change, just making the top of Altar Hill and Monolith Hill new areas (in yellow in the map). Perhaps Monolith Hill top could be two areas.".

Also, it would be a good idea to draw line of sights from the hilltops.

Thoughts on this?

Map.pdf

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you want to say when you write "Monolith Hill top could be two areas" ! In fact, there are already two areas at the Monolith HillTop (even 3 with the area for the princess)...

Could you take the right & last map and then draw new areas in red  if you are thinking that something is missing ?

Thank you!

Edited by Florentin

9 hours ago, Florentin said:

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you want to say when you write "Monolith Hill top could be two areas" ! In fact, there are already two areas at the Monolith HillTop (even 3 with the area for the princess)...

Could you take the right & last map and then draw new areas in red  if you are thinking that something is missing ?

Thank you!

Sure, will do sometime during the weekend. I think you're talking about Princess Hill though, Monoliths Hill is the one on the upper part of the map.

The idea is to differentiate the top of the hills from the rest (Princess Hill has this kind of zone division already), because it's best for drawing lines of sights from one hill to another.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:29 AM, Arthadan said:

Board rules, as promised. This is the version 0, just for internal use until we all agree. I think I have downloaded an old version of the map, I'll update the image with the last one but it serves to give you an idea.

I'm afraid I'd need a last change, just making the top of Altar Hill and Monolith Hill new areas (in yellow in the map). Perhaps Monolith Hill top could be two areas.

Also, it would be a good idea to draw line of sights from the hilltops.

Thoughts on this?

Map.pdf

If I'm not wrong, is it this what you mean?

Image1.thumb.jpg.c65a1feca6a79dda3f8451c8bd7aedc0.jpg

This is not the last version of the map, anyway I'll make these changes in red, to realize what Arthadan purposed: I'd enlarge a bit the Monoliths hill top.

This way could should be good for the lines of sight. What do you think, @Florentin?

@Arthadan 
Add the yellow die icon on the rules. ...I know, it's a stupid suggestion, but it helps to visualize immediately the rule.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

If I'm not wrong, is it this what you mean?

Image1.thumb.jpg.c65a1feca6a79dda3f8451c8bd7aedc0.jpg

This is not the last version of the map, anyway I'll make these changes in red, to realize what Arthadan purposed: I'd enlarge a bit the Monoliths hill top.

This way could should be good for the lines of sight. What do you think, @Florentin?

@Arthadan 
Add the yellow die icon on the rules. ...I know, it's a stupid suggestion, but it helps to visualize immediately the rule.

Yes, will do. I had the rules in a TXT file and I forgot to replace the text with the icon.

• Like 1

Hoping to prevent from a further modification, I think it's better if we decide now about areas 25 and 80 near the Altar hill.

It's not a secondary matter: remember that mounted troops have more movement do go up and down the hill.

I think that a change in 25 is necessary (too quick to move around and up the hill from and to 25)

Please, consider the changes in green:

Image6.thumb.jpg.0ef3c4d895fda85e45d8e0f320120108.jpg

Regarding area 80 the question may be: is this small area useful someway?

Two solutions:

A

Image3.thumb.jpg.8d894ed5a301650e4014954a44a55c68.jpg

B

5a189a67f0861_Image4.thumb.jpg.7e05df2381bc112ce062801b9de1b2d6.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

14 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

By the way, all my last suggestions to @Florentin for changes are here.

The only difference between the 2 is the area 80 extension:

1 (split 80 in two)

Image1b.thumb.jpg.f1e364b80257efe973d5eafd5f44a2f2.jpg

OR

2 (one bigger 80)

Image2c.thumb.jpg.b36eeebbb5d5f0123f48e26467f8a927.jpg

Area 25 is not such a big issue for this scenario. Riders have a long way to reach Princess Hill (they can enter only by its upper part). But thinking about reusability of the map, I think it's a good idea.

Area 80 is not currently used (no mount base can fit in there), but it's the same for any area right to the wall of sand. @Florentin agreed to study the possibility of changing the sand wall, making it thinner and perhaps more vertical, so miniatures on foot could use all areas to its right to hide, but he can't until after Christmas, so that modification is on hold. For the time being I suggest leaving 80 as it is and review the issue when we talk about the wall.

• Like 1

Remaining tasks (all mine) :

- Update the map rules document with the last map and add it to our download section. If there is any map rule you want to discuss, now is the time!

- Make my last playtesting session, trying the new map and a more aggressive enemies setup in the River (Thorgrim and Rexor appearing earlier).

- Release the scenario for internal use to give you a chance to playtest it before we go public. Just need to add some graphics like initial heroes and enemies setup on the map, River setup and so on.

And that's all! Then I'll wait for your  feedback after playtesting it, discussing any changes you may want to suggest, and then we launch the open beta!

An early Cimmerian Christmas present is coming!

:orthoseveres:

• Like 3

I have placed the white circles in a specific manner to improve the fun on the top hills! But if you think another settings is required we can discuss about this! 

In fact,  I would like to freeze them as much as possible because lines of sight are quite difficult to draw with "Artrage" so I would prefer to avoid to begin from zero too frequently as much as possible. Thanks! 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

I have placed the white circles in a specific manner to improve the fun on the top hills! But if you think another settings is required we can discuss about this! 

In fact,  I would like to freeze them as much as possible because lines of sight are quite difficult to draw with "Artrage" so I would prefer to avoid to begin from zero too frequently as much as possible. Thanks! 

Now that you mention it...

We need to have line of sight from area 91 to area 1, but curently monoliths on area 32 are blocking it. I suggest we adopt one of the innovations presented in Batman and draw two centers in area 91 to address the problem. Please leave the original center where it is (no need to move it, I have rethought that after drawing the map). We also want line of sight from 91 to 47.

Also, I'm not sure we can fit horses in the new area 25, would it be possible to make it a bit bigger?

5a19b70343a07_MapBOTM251117areascircles.jpg.60d2f87f850e81c452f3f7a276b7a4ae.jpg

Edited by Arthadan

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Now that you mention it...

We need to have line of sight from area 91 to area 1, but curently monoliths on area 32 are blocking it. I suggest we adopt one of the innovations presented in Batman and draw two centers in area 91 to address the problem. Also, I'm not sure we can fit horses in the new area 25, would it be possible to make it a bit bigger?

5a19b70343a07_MapBOTM251117areascircles.jpg.60d2f87f850e81c452f3f7a276b7a4ae.jpg

For me the monolith is not an obstacle because the two top hills are not at the same height than the small monolith !

It is not because a line of sight is going through  a monolith that the line of sight is not compatible with a direct shooting !

Moreover, even if there is no obstacle between two white circles, maybe the line of sight can not permit a shooting...consequence of an high topographic element between the both circles. As an example the sand wall, sides of a hill, ... !

I think a discussion should occur to identify which line of sights can lead to a successful shooting...then how to easily get rid of the players doubts?

However, I think multiple white circles in a same area is a good idea, I already thought to this without knowing that Batman is going to use this concept !

For area 25 ! Of course it could be increased !

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Florentin said:

For me the monolith is not an obstacle because the two top hills are not at the same height than the small monolith !

It is not because a line of sight is going through  a monolith that the line of sight is not compatible with a direct shooting !

Moreover, even if there is no obstacle between two white circles, maybe the line of sight can not permit a shooting...consequence of an high topographic element between the both circles. As an example the sand wall, sides of a hill, ... !

I think a discussion should occur to identify which line of sights can lead to a successful shooting...then how to easily get rid of the players doubts?

However, I think multiple white circles in a same area is a good idea, I already thought to this without knowing that Batman is going to use this concept !

For area 25 ! Of course it could be increased !

conan00004.thumb.png.02b7818e476b4540e598feec0961a522.png

I meant line of sight is interrupted by monoliths on Altar Hill (area 32), I agree with you that the one on wall of sand (area 27) shouldn't block it. About making the map easy to interpret by players, I think the best way is to be consistent with the rules. For example,  it would be difficult to understand that there are some monoliths blocking line sight (monolith field, for example) , and them some others that don't  (the small one on area 27). We should study the exceptions and either remove them or change them by rocks without their own zone (so it's easy to see they are not blocking monoliths).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthadan said:

I meant line of sight is interrupted by monoliths on Altar Hill (area 32), I agree with you that the one on wall of sand (area 27) shouldn't block it. About making the map easy to interpret by players, I think the best way is to be consistent with the rules. For example,  it would be difficult to understand that there are some monoliths blocking line sight (monolith field, for example) , and them some others that don't  (the small one on area 27). We should study the exceptions and either remove them or change them by rocks without their own zone (so it's easy to see they are not blocking monoliths).

Ok I understand for area 32.

I'm agree with you about the changes as much as possible, thus it will be easier !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Remaining tasks (all mine) :

- Update the map rules document with the last map and add it to our download section. If there is any map rule you want to discuss, now is the time!

- Make my last playtesting session, trying the new map and a more aggressive enemies setup in the River (Thorgrim and Rexor appearing earlier).

- Release the scenario for internal use to give you a chance to playtest it before we go public. Just need to add some graphics like initial heroes and enemies setup on the map, River setup and so on.

And that's all! Then I'll wait for your  feedback after playtesting it, discussing any changes you may want to suggest, and then we launch the open beta!

An early Cimmerian Christmas present is coming!

:orthoseveres:

@Arthadan are the rules synthesis could be  available ?

I have well understood hat the map rules will be updated but what about all the other rules ?

Without them it is difficult to share a commun vision and to study the globality of the scenario and its balance ! 

Thank you for your response !

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Florentin said:

@Arthadan are the rules synthesis could be  available ?

I have well understood hat the map rules will be updated but what about all the other rules ?

Without them it is difficult to share a commun vision and to study the globality of the scenario and its balance ! 

Thank you for your response !

I'm trying out a new River setup this weekend and making the initial unit setup and I'll upload an internal version of the scenario next weekend or early next week. Special rules remain all the same.

4 hours ago, Florentin said:

Hi @Arthadan! Find the updates requested!

5a1add149b110_MapBOTM261117areascircles.thumb.jpg.0d7cf9bed356dbf36d7d34845247983e.jpg

Map_BOTM_261117_Paths_number.thumb.jpg.c41ab5b3c37b46892514eb338e28e59b.jpg

If all is ok for you guys, I begin to draw the line of sights ?

Let me know !

It's perfect, thanks!

Would you mind if I make the thinner more vertical wall of sand? I think you have the zone division and zone centers in a different layer. I'd just need the "base map" without zones in JPG or BMP format.

I'm saying that because if you draw lines of sight and then we change the wall, many of them would need to be drawn again. I understand you can't the change the wall before Christmas but I'm confident it won't take me long.

11 hours ago, Arthadan said:

It's perfect, thanks!

Would you mind if I make the thinner more vertical wall of sand? I think you have the zone division and zone centers in a different layer. I'd just need the "base map" without zones in JPG or BMP format.

I'm saying that because if you draw lines of sight and then we change the wall, many of them would need to be drawn again. I understand you can't the change the wall before Christmas but I'm confident it won't take me long.

As we already said we will study the need to change it in a second time like a lot of things for the expert mode!

Moreover, I'm not convinced at all about the need to change the sand wall before xmas and ...even after xmas!

There are many reasons for this !  Let's have a look to my last post on the subject...and a new reason is that it could be seen as a decor (as it exists in the Picts map)  and to an area that prevents the dooms riders and foot men to reach the princess too easily!

We have enough worked on the map now...the urgent matter are the rules...

I would like to test the scenario by myself urgently because you are alone to do this and it is not the right way !

It is not only to you to do the test but to all the team!

You have well understood that I would like to test the scenario with the map as it is but for this we need ...the rules!

I don't understand why you do not send us the rules synthesis faster in order to allow the team to share a same vision and to be better able to discuss of improvement together or to congratulate each other because result would be perfect ?

But for this, one more time, you have to send us all the rules fastly...

But if you do not want to  or not have the time to write them, I could spend time to  write this document this week!

In fact, we don't have time left: in less than one month it will be Xmas...

For me we have lost a week of useful time and I begin to believe that we will not have enough time to test the scenario efficiently...

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2