Conan the Barbarian

Arthadan

18 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

But before that some soldiers try to grab the princess. That's what we see in the movie.

You are right ! 

So maybe the solution would be: 

• from turn 1 to 4 OL have to kill the heroes
  • From turn 4 to ... OL have to captured the princess  or kill the heroes

And If Thorgrim & Rexor die then kill the princess!

Edited by Florentin

Just now, Florentin said:

You are right ! 

So maybe the solution would be: 

• from turn 1 to 4 OL have to kill the heroes
  • From turn 4 to ... OL have to captured the princess

And If Thorgrim & Rexor die then kill the princess!

It's impossible to kill the heroes in 4 turns, trust me. Anyway, playtest your idea and let me know the result.

Tried the "agressive" river setup. First OL victory, but I didn't like how it plays out because Thorgrim and Rexor teamed up against Conan and our hero was overwhelmed (no options left but playing defensive and eventually running away).

I'll try a mix of the two river setup, with Thorgrim coming early in game but Rexor far later.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

What do you exactly mean with this, please?

IMG_4346.thumb.JPG.0a03a7ba3102ac6d73cb91fadf28a122.JPG

At the start of every OL turn from turn 6 onwards you have to check if these two conditions are meet:

- Thorgrim or Rexor is dead.

- Any other tile is dead.

If so, remove these two dead tiles from the River and place Mounted Thulsa Doom and the purple Riders of Doom at the end of the River. Place their miniatures in the area with the number 1 in the map (behind the altar). They can be activated as normal this turn.

• Thanks 1

Two nights ago I had a first real play with a couple of friends well experienced in Conan. It was an important test in my opinion, since one of them is in the jury of the Magnifico award.

Here are the impressions from the test. I hope we didn't make too many mistakes, following the rules.

First, I must confess that we spent quite long time to explain (and discuss) the new rules...

THE SETUP and the START of the Game

The map:

- Black Stones: since it's possible to jump on the black stones, probably a white circled dot for the line of sight could be added.

The weapons:

- Heavy Axe card was not so clear: 2 red dice with reroll?

- Seems there's no point in changing weapons during the game. As the game began, Conan dropped his sword and picked up the more powerful Heavy Axe.

- Meanwhile Subotai collected all the arrows.

- After that, No hero changed his weapon for all the game long.

The skills

- No one has the feline grace, though it's written on the gameboard rules that this skill is necessary to cross through narrow passages.

- Both Conan and Subotai have the Precision strike, so seemed a bit useless a high armour level for all of the OL troopes

Here's the problem about the battle axe...

IMG_20171208_020652.thumb.jpg.333e773e6e5f916344bf82ba4c2a5369.jpg

Now I'll try to resumes the impressions from the game play...

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

The big problem appeared from the game is that 2/3 of the map was completely unused during the game. 

-as the game began, Conan took the Heavy Axe and Subotai collected all the arrows, then they run to the Yasmina's mound, since both the players recognized it as the best defendable position. This way they were safe behind the palisades, and Yasmina was safer behind them! 

IMG_4358.thumb.PNG.edb7529e08d36c86449fe36414468210.PNG

Subotai (red line) stood on the top of that hill, behind the palisades, shooting at everything was coming by.

Conan (blue line) changed his weapon and run to the Yasmin hill too, but he stopped on the top of a black stone to kill some of the upcoming knights.

After a first attempt to help Conan, Akiro (orange line) tried to escape on Yasmina hill too, but he was intercepted and killed in the marked position (orange cross). Poor Akiro was completely ignored by Doom riders: he was killed only because a rider stopped his movement in the same area and had nothing else to do. I fear the poor Akiro felt himself a bit useless... 😢

- Doom knights first moved following the green lines; once 2 traps were discovered, some of them moved following the purple direction.

Attention:

As you can see: no one entered the monolith field ☹️☹️☹️, except the corridor on the right, and only for two reasons: 1) Conan stopped on the black stone, while his back was guarded by Subotai arrows; 2) the OL feared that some traps could have been put down the hill, in front of the palisade... and it was a spike trap and a decoy.

IMG_20171207_223927.thumb.jpg.05a4f30167c2b80b7a0148d87598b78e.jpg

First rounds: Doom riders carefully avoid the monolith field: the OL thinks this is the easiest way to reach Yasmina.

As you can see, Conan dropped his sword.

IMG_20171207_230347.thumb.jpg.cbd43df2bfd85fe30b9f7be752fc4a82.jpg

When finally Rexor and Thorgrim entered the monolith field they have to fight against Conan still on his black stone, while Subotai is shooting against them. Meanwhile Akiro (see the hand on the left) is moving for his very last time (RIP). ☠️

Attention: almost half of the game passed, before some fight happened.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

Last part of the game and conclusion

IMG_20171208_020652.thumb.jpg.07b87ec3bd1a328e2477de27e92f5771.jpg

Conan was heavily wounded and crossed the palisades to stand beside Subotai, who had used a lot of gems and had also a nap in between, to recover all of them.

Some riders are finally showing up from behind Yasmina top.

IMG_20171207_234011.thumb.jpg.101dc65663e546e66d9ea81e1c171e66.jpg

Dishorsed by Conan, Rexor crossed the palisades trying to follow Conan.

It's too late to free Yasmina (a couple of turns left!), but the heroes haven't killed Rexor or Thorgrim yet, so Doom is still off the map (was it correct???). The only chance is to kill the heroes, so the OL wants to prevent them from escaping back through the palisades:  he stops a rider to close the way to the altar hill, unleash Rexor (wounded and dismounted) behind Conan, while Thorgrim and few troops are charging the back of the hill.

Final results: Rexor died during the ninth turn. No chance for the OL to activate Doom when he finally entered. Thorgrim killed Conan, but was killed himself by Subotai in the last turn. 5 Doom troopers left, two of them never moved. Subotai was alive and well living, since he never lost a single gem (!!!).

No one has ever walked on the 5 monoliths small hill.

So, that's basically the game we had. Tomorrow I'll try to write down the impressions and the results of the big discussions we had before, during and after.

I can try to make some scheme of the game, if you need.

....by the way, I hope you can figure out the battle by my poor English.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Most important question @Xaltotun: Did you have pleasure to play this scenario ?

Sure! I was just a bit frustrated because the most interesting part of the map (and several rules) wasn't used.

Anyway, we can say that an important thing worked: I think it was quite balanced, infact in the second part of the game we had fun.

I'll write more tomorrow, since there are some points to explain, I guess.

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xaltotun said:

Sure! I was just a bit frustrated because the most interesting part of the map (and several rules) wasn't used.

Anyway, we can say that an important thing worked: I think it was quite balanced, infact in the second part of the game we had fun.

I'll write more tomorrow, since there are some points to explain, I guess.

Maybe some easy rules could take place in order to fight more in the monoliths field?

As an example, until turn 4 it is not possible for the OL to go to the Yasmina's hill because Thulsa doom wants his revenge !?

Edited by Florentin

32 minutes ago, Florentin said:

Maybe some easy rules could take place in order to fight more in the monolith field?

As an example, until turn 4 it is not possible for the OL to go to the Yasmina's hill because Thulsa doom wants his revenge !?

I don't know. 

Honestly, the impression was there were bit too many rules and there was a kind of 'gap' between the map and the objects of the game.

Anyway, we experienced some minor problems I'd like to talk better tomorrow

I think it's better for you and @Arthadan to test the game with other players first; then we can compare our experiences and elaborate solutions. 

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

@Xaltotun thanks for your playtesting! I'm biased when testing it.

Some quick comments:

GAMEBOARD RULES

I know there are some that won't be used in the scneario. Nobody will fly to the top of a monolith nor use Feline Grace to squeeze through the narrow gaps. My point here is to make the map reusable in other scenarios by other players. I was thinking in the bigger picture here. Besides, Valeria does have Feline Grace and in the campaign mode she may be alive in this scenario.

MAP USE

Adding the OL victory condition of killing the heroes means that the OL must come for them! Subotai can fire his arrows to Princess Hill from the border of the monolith field and Conan can figth his enemies inside the monolith fields (and Akiro is better protected inside the monolith fields as well). Imagine Subotai getting a free reroll to all his arrow shoots thanks to Akiro's support skill, both protected by Conan in the monolith field.

In your game, the heroes decided to go to the Princess Hill, which leaded to using a small part of the map. It's a valid strategy but not the only one possible. 

REXOR & THORGRIM

I guess you have tested the first River setup. It works but it's difficult to kill one of these before turn 6 because they appear late. I'm working on a new River setup, with Thorgrim coming in 3rd position and Rexor 7th or so, so the heroes have more time to kill one of them.

It was cool Rexor got dishorsed by Conan during the fight, never happened in my games yet!

TOO MANY WEAPONS FOR THE HEROES

I agree obvious choice for Conan is the heavy axe, but the other one can be thrown! So if Subotai runs out of arrows and need to recharge, Conan can save the day throwing it. Also, the helmet is a great asset when playing defensive in the monolith field, it all depends on your strategy, this just give you more options.

Regarding the design of the Heavy Axe card, it was made by @Florentin. I've always played it like :rougerel::rougerel: but now that I think about it, maybe is meant to be an exception to the rules allowing a single reroll per dice (unless you spend gems on rerolling). @Florentin what was your original intention, two rerolls of a single red dice or two red dices with one reroll each?

OL UNITS HIGH ARMOUR VS HEROES IGNORING 1 POINT OF ARMOUR

This is on purpose! I want the players get the feeling their heroes are powerful and roll many dices. Besides, in the campaign mode they may get Level 2 for the previous scenario and in that one having those skills will make a greater difference.

• Like 1

One more thing:

BLACK STONES

You can junp over them, but you can't stand on them! Only stones you can stand on are the fallen monoliths and the altar, tha black stones are supposed to be too small to stand on. Think of them as a banister or a fence.. Perhaps they shouls be a bit smaller?

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1