What do people hope for in the 2019 KS?

There was a similar post to this on BGG a while back and I figured I'd start a thread here for people to share ideas.

I'm just curious as to what people are looking forward to seeing in the next KS, which is hopefully only a year and a half away (If they could bump that up, that'd be great :ambidextre:).

Here's my list so far:

- New locations:  Turan, Aquilonia, and all that good stuff. Jungles, forests, ruined temples, dark and seedy alleys all sound awesome. A "Thieves' Quarter" of town (The Maul?).  I would also like a new tower map. The Khitai one is awesome, but you can never have too many towers in Conan! By the same token, a new tavern would be nice, too.  Also, a frontier fort map a la Beyond the Black River. 

- It would be awesome if they took a page from Mythic Battles and had sea maps with maneuverable ships. If would have to be little abstracted, but it could be cool if done well.

- I liked how you can combine the Stygia city map with the ships map. More stuff like that, please.

- More exploration of stealth mechanics would be interesting.

- Knockout rules in combat might be interesting. For example, if you knock an opponent down, they lose their armor bonus.

- Mounted characters on horseback.  Maybe give them a Base Movement of 5.  They could have a "Charge" ability, where if they charge into your space you have the choice of either taking damage or moving into an adjacent area.  If you can't move you're forced to take damage.

EDIT: And let's not forget that in the first Arnie movie, Conan not only punches a camel, but a horse right in the face, knocking the rider off.

- More interaction with the environment would be great. We got these neat minis in the KS like the bookshelf and torches but they aren't really used for anything. Even the tables and chairs aren't used very often. I'd like to see more elements like that get utilized.

Anyway, those are some ideas I had.  What is everyone else hoping to see in the future?

Edited by Crom
Added a sentence.
  • Like 1

Interesting wishes, @Crom!

We know that the 2019 Conan KS will at least content new lands, and an Overlord vs Overlord system, as Matt John told us in the latest Monolith news:

And because Conan is a special game for us, we plan to support the range with yet another Kickstarter in early 2019, which will allow players to explore new content, new areas of the Hyborian Age, and will also introduce the Overlord vs system.

For now, I don't know what I wish besides new maps and new scenarii. I have still so much left to discover in Conan.

A stealth system would be great, as well as mechanics related to a fog of war system. Maybe something with an evolutive map, I don't know.

• Like 2

Mounted minis would be great, maybe some Aquilonian Knights and Hyrkanian Horse Archers.

I'd love to see a Manotaur (from a Marvel comic)

A Child of Set (from The God in the Bowl) would be amazing!

I painted my first Giant Snake like Satha, but an actual Satha would be great.

Also Tsotha-Lanti, Nabonidus (with some traps/tricks), Some Kushites and some Darfari cannibals, a Crawler in the Dark, Nestor

Juma if we are going pastiche, and movie Valeria (Hell, Movie Thulsa Doom)

Amalric and Lissa from the Drums of Tombalku fragment.

The demon from the Snout in the Dark fragment.

Captain Bor'Aqh Sharaq if we are going really pastiche.

Forest Ghouls.

• Like 2

- Red Nails Expnsaion :)  - maybe a few rules for Warring clans on the same table with the players? Two over lords and several players? Larger or combined maps?

- Kush Expansion - with "Jewels of Gwahlur" tie in...more minis, maps and scenarios

Zamorian "thief city" expansion - with "The Tower of the Elephant " tie in ...more minis, maps and scenarios

- Vendhya/Ghulistan Expansion - with "The People of the Black Circle " tie in ...more minis, maps and scenarios

-Turan  Expansion -  with "The Devil in Iron " tie in  ...more minis, maps and scenarios

- Kickstarter non-Exclusives to Retail - Aka the Dragon

- more Hero and Bad guy packs - there is a rich world to choose expand on the two out there

- More campaigns - maybe recreate the original stories in hardcover? The last book was great

- More map combinations for large scale maps

-Scenarios that tie in with the maps from the Conan RPG by Modiphius

Here is hoping!!!!

• Like 4

Some cool ideas here!  I like the idea of campaigns based on REH stories.  That would be a ton of work, though.  Also, evolutive map tiles would be cool.  Although, I do like the fixed boards we have, as it makes set-up a breeze.  Maybe they could do both?  Some fixed map boards and a set of tiles to make different configurations, maybe even being able to combine the two together.

Edited by Crom
  • Like 1

Some more things I'd like to see:

Scenarios for 8-9 players using two linked maps.

Edited: linking that with my previous suggestion of a forest map, what about a pictish expansion with more variety of warrior types (clan specific) a bosonian fortress map and a forest maps that you can put together either with the fortress or the pict village?

Scenarios using only warrior heroes. I usually get the complaint that only Conan can "make things happen" in the game, and the rest of the heroes are nothing but sidekicks with some useful skills. Maybe it's just my players, but some good old hack and slash scenarios  for a group of warrior heroes (with some clever plot, not just plain combat) would be most welcome.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 1

And one more, besides the regional supplements, a parallel line of expansions consisting of campaigns in the same box format, based on REH stories.

Who wouldn't get a Red Nails box?

Edited: Now that I think about it, I think they should release a "campaing box" for 3 player, other for 4 players and another for 5 players (heck, even a 2 players with solo mode would work). So no matter the size of your gaming group, you'll get one. And then, I'd inlude the adaptation of the campaing scenarios to be played as stand-alone ones.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 2

I agree, "Jewels of Gwahlur" is an excellent choice, but I think it would really only require a few miniatures and a scenario. Existing tunnels map would do for the location of the climax.

A "Red Nails" expansion would be a great idea.

Kull of Valusia, Bran Mak Morn, Gonar, and/or Cormac of Connacht.

Zamora or one of the other urban areas as a map would be great. A wide variety of scenarios could be built on those. 

A set of campaign would be nice too.

• Like 1

OK, here is my wishlist:

- "Turan" box: king's palace map, oasis in the desert map, minis: zuagir raiders, king's guard, Yezdigerd as the antagonist character, Juma as the hero character

- "Black Kingdoms" box: with a mandatory ruined city in the jungle map

- "Zamora, city of thieves" box: i didn't think about this one but when i saw it mentioned in this thread i immediately thought it would be a really cool expansions with infiltration themed scenarios, rules for traps, ...

- Overlord Vs Overlord expansions with a lot of alternative tiles introducing all the cool stuff developed for Batman (especially the ability for overlord's units to perform actions rather than just strike)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I am not sure my house can hold any more minis but more maps and more scenarios would be great.  Another Campaign book would be cool and the few models to play Conan ROM would be cool.  Other than that I would hope it is not as large as the first.  My wallet and house could not handle it.   

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm down with any additional maps, scenarios, and minis! Just got my king+stretch+bookoset last week, love what I've seen so far, and will be getting the three big box expansions asap.

Most of all, I'd like some of the original small boxes to get reprints. I mean, it's fine that special guest boxes remain super exclusives, but stuff such as wolves and crossbowmen should have wider availability, imo. So, my #1 wish for the 2019 kickstarter is for a chance for us latecomers to have access to some of the original content, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Finish off the canon characters and creatures, since there are a fair number not yet represented as minis. More game-boards/locations; in particular we need jungles/swamps, forested border settlements, western Hyborian and near-eastern cities, ancient abandoned temple-cities/pyramids, bloody battlefields with unique terrain formations, and a proper demon haunted dungeon.

i know it’s not really feasible, but as long as we are making a wishlist I’d pay plenty for 3-D game-boards and/or modular terrain and scenery. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, Epaka said:

Finish off the canon characters and creatures, since there are a fair number not yet represented as minis. More game-boards/locations; in particular we need jungles/swamps, forested border settlements, western Hyborian and near-eastern cities, ancient abandoned temple-cities/pyramids, bloody battlefields with unique terrain formations, and a proper demon haunted dungeon.

i know it’s not really feasible, but as long as we are making a wishlist I’d pay plenty for 3-D game-boards and/or modular terrain and scenery. 

+1 to 3D Scenery. They add nothing to the gameplay but  they are much more immersive. I'd gladly pay por pict huts, pallisades, trees...

Also modular gameboards could be a great addition. And mounted warriors!

Aside from additional expansions, that are basically certain I would like to get some cosmetic/collectible pieces, that would normally be nonsensical in retail, but possible in KS.

I would vote for:

• More Damsel in distress - It's boring to always rescue same princess. :cool: Additionally it would be fun to see Damsel in actual distress, like chained to the altar or pillar. And then, when you rescue her, you swap miniature for running version.
  • 3D scenery or plastic tokens - 3D scenery may be hit or miss with Conan, since maps are really diverse. That means that there should be either set designed for every map or set so generic that it would fit to all maps. I think that in this case I would prefer nice plastic tokens with raised texture instead of actual scenery.
  • Proper art book with art from both KS campaigns - I love Art Books, and Art Book from first KS campaign was really lacklustre. I hope we will get something more like Mythic Battles art book in terms of content.
  • Proper and varied civilians - Those in Mythic Battles were really generic and bland. I would love to see proper civilians like Merchants, Villagers, Ladies of the night, Random travellers, Pict Woman etc. I think that city map populated with civilians would be GREAT opportunity for many scenarios. Not to mention it would help to populate already existing maps.
  • Narrative miniatures - Alternative miniatures for current characters. For example: Conan rescuing Damsell in Distress, Pin Up Belit (that would actually be kind of hard to pull off since, she's already almost naked... :cool:), Shevatas killing someone from behind etc. - I hope you get the idea.

Other than that I would love to see another campaign/scenario book and in terms of gameplay it would be nice to see:

• Mounted warriors
  • Living statues/golems
  • Proper wolves - I missed on those in 1st KS and I'm glad I did. Still I would love to have designed Conan wolves instead of "borrowed" ones.

EDIT: Also more maps that can be combined and multi map scenarios. Honestly, it should be standard :biggrin:

Edited by Iesthir
Addded additional point

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to have the option to buy a scenario book with all expansions and content in one book. 

I have the king pledge and all the big box expansions so when it comes to picking a map to play there is time spent looking for and through each separate book. This is not a big problem, but I thought it might be something to look into for the future.

Also want to second (or third) the desire for more 3D terrain. When everything is painted up and on the board those 3D pieces make the game a piece of art. Something I'm proud to have out even when we are not playing.

• 3 months later...

Well, I voted for Red Nails and Black Kingdoms expansions.

I do like the idea of a "City of Thieves" type expansion but, for the sense of scale of a portion of a city, I can't help but feel that you'd need at least 1.5 of the regular sized boards.

I'm curious as to what they might adapt from the Batman KS - limiting the number of gems that the OL can spend on certain actions, for example?

I didn't back the original KS (wasn't on KS at the time), backed Book of Set and was able to get a King Pledge.  Got *everything* bar the Dragon aftermarket at very reasonable prices.

• I'd like to see reprints of the items that never made it to retail (e.g. the Dragon, the Black Ones).
  • Personally, I'm not against seeing the KS exclusives being offered again in the next KS campaign for others to enjoy the game and additional scenarios to their fullest.
    If there was a real objection to that then, yes, the tile graphics have been made available in various ways and so the enthusiastic among us can print them, use them on spare foreign language or blank tiles and substitute minis, but hey... are the only people who would object those selling them for unconscionable prices?
  • More maps.  How about this... using one full sized board, one half sized board.
    Side 1: City map boards that adjoin one another, perhaps with the edge as an alley to make it flexible which side the half board joins on (yeah, I have a large table 😉)
    Side 2: A house and grounds full size map (house, small surrounding garden, wall on the edges of the board) with a roof/smaller upper floor half map, like the Khitai arrangement?  (Could be used for scenarios like a variant on the "Rogues in the House" story?)
Edited by LarsonMcCade
Alley, not ally...
  • Like 1

Monolith has mentioned that the items that sold poorly just aren't worth their effort in reprints. The items that sold poorly really became the Kickstarter exclusives and the things marked Kickstarter exclusives we all want more scenarios for so most would like to see them continue sales--and most likely will be part of the next campaign. The poorly sold items went on to be the high priced ones on Kickstarter. I would hope we could get these in a reprint. Maybe have a "rare stuff" package that contains:

* All 3 artists box contents (there was a lot of dead space in these).

* The Dragon

* The Black Ones

Maybe by combining there can be some savings, and managing ordering is simpler and thus we'd all be happy. I have a couple of these items, but I'd buy the lot just to round it out (and sell excess on eBay). However, I'm not privy to the considerations and pressures that Monolith deals with and they have to make decisions that make long term sense for them and I'm good with that.