What do people hope for in the 2019 KS?

One thing, I am surprised at the freebie offering for those that back within the 7 days of the Kickstarter campaign. 3 Flying Apes! Can't imaging needing that many Flying Apes if I pledge for the Legacy Box😁 Actually make that 4 when I include the Corinthia Expansion😯

Edited by Footballzs

Footballzs, you only get that freebie with a leader or bat pledge... not with a Legacy Box.

So far I’m pretty disappointed in most of what they’re showing on the KS draft page.  I had high hopes after initially hearing about what they were wanting to do with BtM, but the campaign - so far - isn’t even offering “Second Life” box upgrade route for people who already own Conan to progress to the BtM versus system.  They really are expecting you to either buy their new boxes (as only getting a Bat or Leader pledge gives you the discounts they are offering to return backers) or to get boxes without minis (paper-only boxes being discussed), which leaves you having to substitute for new minis and for all the minis you’ll be short of.

The price for the Adventure Mode content legacy box also *appears* disproportionately high compared to the content being offered in the new BtM Conan “Universe” boxes.

Edit: They’ve updated the draft. Legacy pledges now get the early bird too. Still hoping for a Second Life update.

Edited by LarsonMcCade
KS update

On 1/10/2020 at 3:31 AM, LarsonMcCade said:

So far I’m pretty disappointed in most of what they’re showing on the KS draft page.  I had high hopes after initially hearing about what they were wanting to do with BtM, but the campaign - so far - isn’t even offering “Second Life” box upgrade route for people who already own Conan to progress to the BtM versus system.  They really are expecting you to either buy their new boxes (as only getting a Bat or Leader pledge gives you the discounts they are offering to return backers) or to get boxes without minis (paper-only boxes being discussed), which leaves you having to substitute for new minis and for all the minis you’ll be short of.

The price for the Adventure Mode content legacy box also *appears* disproportionately high compared to the content being offered in the new BtM Conan “Universe” boxes.

The versus mode seems to be really upside down in many ways. I'm good with the Legacy upgrade for Adventure mode. That's all well and good. 

Getting into Versus mode. I already have 90% of the miniatures. The Legacy box gives me most of the other 10%. I don't want to just have piles of boxes and minis. I simply have run out of shelf space. 

The Mythic Battles upgrade packs are really the oddest offering. If you don't have Mythic Battles, but buy the versus mode packs--upgrading to be able to use them with your pre-existing Mythic Battle game (that you don't have) makes no sense. If you own Mythic Battles, then you already have all this, but if you want Versus mode you need to buy all the minis again just to get the tiles. Either way you don't need the upgrade packs. 

The use of the word scale to show the size of the miniatures completely misunderstands and destroys the meaning and definition fo the word scale. Scale is a ratio. Like 1:64. 25mm was this weird thing that got started in the 70's, to denote that a 6 foot tall man's eyes would be at the 25mm mark. People then referred to this as 25mm scale. Which meant the miniature was around 28mm tall. Then somehow people starting calling this 28mm scale and folks like "heroic" proportions so 28mm scale miniatures became 30mm tall. Now there is this absurd chart saying that every size of miniature is a different scale. This will only further confuse the whole thing. What is the ratio? That is the scale--not the measurement of the height of any given miniature.

So, I'd love to get in on Versus mode and get a core box, but I'm not going to fill my shelf with duplications just to get some tiles to be able to play it. Adventure mode it is. Maybe in the future we'll get offered upgrade to versus tiles (the converse of the the MB offering). 

I'm going to sound like a whiney, complaining, gamer who first kickstarted all of these games (Conan, MtB, Batman).  Someone who sounds like an obvious whale getting offended that I have to spend a little more money to upgrade my games to play in a new and different format.  Ok?

I watched the FAQ on youtube about the new Beyond Monolith initiative and what the developers were hoping to accomplish.  It sounded ambitious.  The idea that you could buy a core game box and then expand them with Universe boxes sounded intriguing.  Not only that but you could then utilize the minis you bought in other places with Second Life boxes sounded like a great way to extend the life of the current games, and random Reaper minis, I've got laying around.

This current kickstarter campaign page does not give me confidence in the vision going forward for these games.  In fact, as a previous backer almost all of their games, I'm left confused and angry at what I see Monolith putting out.  Like I said earlier, I'm going to sound whiny and like I'm complaining.

The first question I have is, why isn't there a Second Life box for us original Conan backers?  For that matter, why isn't there one for us MtB backers?  It almost seems like that idea was thrown out the window as being too difficult, or costly, to accomplish.  So my follow-up question is, if Monolith can't do it with the game titles that they own how are we supposed to have confidence that they can do it with any other property like CMON Zombicide?

Do I sound crazy asking these questions?

First, let me apologize if I am not doing this right.  Not putting this post in the right place or something like that.  I am not familiar with forums in general and I'm new to this one in particular.  

So the recent Kickstarter (RIP) did get me thinking about the expansions to Conan I'd like to see.  I will admit I'm a traditionalist in most senses, so I do tend to go with the "more of what I love."  Still, I prefer to avoid redundancy.  So a list of the minis I most want to see are...

1.  Serpent Men (Kull stories mostly)

2.  Degenerate serpent men (Bran Mak Morn stories)

3.  Child of Set (from God in the Bowl)

4.  Crawler (from Red Nails)

5.  More apes.  Mostly I just need more ape men for my game.

6.  Living Idol- giant animated statue.  Bonus, it can be a prop or an enemy!

7.  Why not do King Kull as well?  Brule! And Thulsa Doom!  Skull head!

Now those aren't the only things I'd like to see but those are my priorities.  And really, why did we get a python offered in that last Kickstarter?  Given that a giant snake is in the base box set already it really didn't feel like an incentive.  Having said that, the minis that DID interest me were the deep ones, pirate archers, ballista, Kithan acolytes, Xaltotun, Gorm, spider, N'Yoga, Yog and Mitra.  Especially as how the latter could make for a good living idol.

In terms of maps here are my four big thoughts.

1.  Gladiator arena.  It would be dominated by a giant arena in the middle.  Get some of those cool pillars in there.  Then surrounded by seating for the masses, and an emperors viewing box.  Finally adjacent rooms for letting gladiators and beasts in.  Dramatic, powerful and intense.  If you're looking for what culture would most likely have this in the Hyboria age, I would suggest Turan or Hyperborea.  Bonus if it can somehow double as a racing track!

2.  Jungle.  I see people suggesting they want a Pictish village, frontier town or fort.  Last I checked we already have those.  Rather what I would like to see is a thickly jungled/forested area.  No civilized structures.  Done right it could apply to everything from the Pictish wildnerness, to the jungles of Khitai or the Black Kingdoms.  Have varied terrain like rocky outcroppings, rivers, etc.  

3.  Palace throne room.  If you're going to dethrone someone, they need a throne first!  I want a magnificent chamber to kill a king and place his bloody crown on my head.  We have a fortress or two, but not a really civilized, refined even genteel place in which to wreck havoc.  Imagine the centerpiece being a many columned throne room.  Then add side chambers for feasting hall, guard room, treasury, armory even a seraglio. Etc.

4.  Thieves themed boards- I think what would really sell this to me is a double map.  One level shows the rooftops.  The other shows the rooms beneath!  That would feel roguish to me.  Any scenario that has you dashing back and forth between roof levels and rooms is enticing!  Especially if one section would have a rich person's house and the rest are poor.  

So my picks for expansion boxes and what should be in them are...

Red Nails- Surprise, surprise.  Am I right?  This won on the poll way back and for good reason.  There's some good characters to turn into minis here, and I'll get my much desired Crawler.  Living idol is an easy add in here.  I see the maps being different sections of the city.  To make it different from other maps, it should be more claustrophobic.  Lots of narrow corridors, choke points, dead ends etc.  Finding your way around should be a challenge.  Also add in mechanics for things like secret doors, moving walls, trap doors and traps.  You need to fight the setting as much as the foes.

King Kull- Yeah, not even an option in the poll but in my mind a cool idea.  Could easily do the throne room and gladiator arena in this context.  All the minis I mentioned under 7.  It would be a fresh new resource to pull upon.  And let's not forget the serpent men!  Heck, enslaved vengeful ghosts could be a mini.  Still, I am guessing that there might be some rights issues here.

What do you think?

• Like 2

To be honest, I've mostly avoided the KS page since - after seeing some of the behaviour there.  While I was disappointed in the campaign, I think I tried to be constructive about my thoughts.  I thought Fred Henry responded to the situation with humility and grace... but some of the commentary was just brutal.

Along with countless others, I voted for Red Nails.  There was some discussion about "Zamora, City of Thieves" material back then too, which I'd love.  What I said then...

"I do like the idea of a "City of Thieves" type expansion but, for the sense of scale of a portion of a city, I can't help but feel that you'd need at least 1.5 of the regular sized boards.<other stuff in between>

More maps.  How about this... using one full sized board, one half sized board.
Side 1: City map boards that adjoin one another, perhaps with the edge as an alley to make it flexible which side the half board joins on (yeah, I have a large table 😉)
Side 2: A house and grounds full size map (house, small surrounding garden, wall on the edges of the board) with a roof/smaller upper floor half map, like the Khitai arrangement?  (Could be used for scenarios like a variant on the "Rogues in the House" story?)"

This next one is going to be a smaller scale kickstarter campaign, from what I have read.  I'm not sure what the timeframe allows them to pull out of their hat but I can't wait to see Matt John's cooperative mode materials... and a chance to get that elusive dragon!!!

I'd like to see them get through this campaign, then later a proper "Adventure Mode" campaign that either:

a) serves as a gateway to a subsequent BtM campaign (that adopts the approach of Second Life boxes - use the minis we have), or

b) introduces BtM then and there, using the AM content with minimal additional materials.

• Like 1

Would love to see an expansion that lets us combine adventure with pvp/skirish while still using the minis I own and not feel I'm being forced to buy more of those I already have.

Imagine a couple of character adventurers running along side Conan as he comands a small horde of soldiers/ pirates against a tablet force put together from your Mythic battles set.

This would also require new cards for Mythic battles minis to use in conan but I'd happily pay the cost  for these and the Blood Rage cross over that was hinted at originaly.

Not saying I'm completely off buying more minis, but coming from someone who was pretty much all in on the 1st Conan, they have to be original and with new content. 

• Like 1

I agree that the BtM campaign got way too negative and caustic. I wasn’t thrilled about the campaign, but I can’t believe how badly it was received overall. It was obviously wise to cancel and make a new plan. Glad that Matt John S will be guiding the ship now. 

As for what would be nice to see; I think we needed a good ancient temple board, and it looks like we will get that in the new Adventure Mode KS campaign next month. A jungle setting and a cramped Western city street would be good as well. As for minis, wrapping up the major characters from the REH stories would be appropriate. However, to get the most out of the game I think we really need more scenarios that employ the underutilized minis that already exist. However, as they need to make any new material accessible to backers that only have the retail game, I don’t expect it to happen.

On a side note, as a bit of a collector and completionist myself, I understand why people want to track down the hard to find items like the Black Ones and the Dragon. But I have to say, the Dragon design is really kind of lame, and the one official scenario that has the Dragon is fairly underwhelming. Same goes for the Sabretooth tiger. He’s badly underpowered. I’m still glad that I went all-in on the original campaign. We’ve played the game a lot, and I’ve had tons of fun getting it all painted. I’m starting to build more scenery for the game boards too.

One thing I’d really love to see, would be plastic dashboards that would hold the hero sheets and keep the gems organized.

I’ll be curious to see what they come up with. 

• Like 2