Your favorite Conan stuff

Derek

I'm really interested in seeing people's  cherished Conan pieces be it comics, books  toys etc. I bet there's some awesome stuff!!

Ill start with mine. This is the first printing of The God and the Bowl by Howard and L Sprague de Camp. I believe ( happy to be corrected) the story was discovered after Howard's death and completed by de Camp. I found it about 20 years ago in Comic shop in Sydney. It

IMG_0560.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Derek said:

This is the first printing of The God and the Bowl by Howard and L Sprague de Camp. I believe ( happy to be corrected) the story was discovered after Howard's death and completed by de Camp. I found it about 20 years ago in Comic shop in Sydney. 

For english readers, the best book edition about Conan are the three books published by Del Rey Books - "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", "The Bloody Crown of Conan" and "The Conquering Sword of Conan". They are the only and totally complete edition existing today, according to the original texts of Robert E. Howard.

This edition, directed by Patrice Louinet (one of the finest REH scholar in the world) is only based on the texts of Howard, according to his typescripts (or the first original publications when they no longer exist). The texts are rid of the additions, rewrites and apocryphal censures of Lyon Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter.

Edited by Pallantides
  • Like 3

That God in the Bowl book is amazing! It's one of my favorite Conan stories too because he is so feral and fresh to civilization.

My Del Rey books are probably my most prized Conan possession.

However, I'll never let go of my issues of Conan King-Size Annual 3 and 4. They were the issues that were part of a large comic book stack my mom purchased at a garage sale in 1982, and my very first exposure to Conan.

I'm also very happy to still have the Official Handbook of the Conan Universe.

... and I can't forget about the two movie posters.

IMG_20150827_054005.jpg

IMG_20151014_131408.jpg

IMG_20160121_114140.jpg

IMG_20170621_090839.jpg

• Like 5

That cover to Conan Universe #1 is stunning.

I once had almost a full run of the Marvel books, but they all got destroyed.  All I have left is a few issues of the B&W Conan saga.  

At least I still have the Busiek/Nord run.  I enjoyed the Brian Wood run, too.  I haven't had a chance to read any of the ones after that, though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crom said:

That cover to Conan Universe #1 is stunning.

Yeah, I agree. :sacrifice:

Did you know that this illustration ("Battle of Helm's Deep") was previously done by Michael Kaluta for a J.R.R.Tolkien calendar.

Then, he has adapted this illustration for the Marvel wrap-around cover of this Encyclopedia of the Conan Universe.

Interview with Michael Kaluta

Preliminary drawing :

01Kaluta_HelmsDeepPencilReversed_100.thumb.jpg.f051ee7b380d0d3131da59448e6e34b5.jpg

Tolkien calendar :

02Kaluta_HelmsDeep_Calendar_100.thumb.jpg.afb4003be0ad5986e169ecc707303d25.jpg

Revised artwork :

03Kaluta_HelmsDeep-Conan_100.thumb.jpg.4a70917f44bf859ea07176016ff85d93.jpg

The printed wraparound cover :

04Kaluta_ConanUniverse_100.thumb.jpg.066a4f0efc7d6123acd6a0db444fe87f.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, Pallantides!  I did not know that it was previously used for LotR.  I love seeing process stuff like that.

It's also interesting to see the original juxtaposed with the printed version.  I've heard that back in the day illustrators would often exaggerate certain colors, because they knew they would be severely muted in the four color printing process.  I'm guessing we're seeing that in action here.

• Like 1

The first 20 or so issues of Marvel's Black and White Savage Sword of Conan possess some of the best graphic works ever done for Conan. I have them lovingly stored in my spare room somewhere. I'll need to get them out and read them again one day.

Of course it goes without saying, even though I'm saying it, Monolith's Conan board game is amazing. Some of you may have heard of it:-)

Edited by Footballzs
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Pallantides said:

For english readers, the best book edition about Conan are the three books published by Del Rey Books - "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", "The Bloody Crown of Conan" and "The Conquering Sword of Conan". They are the only and totally complete edition existing today, according to the original texts of Robert E. Howard.

This edition, directed by Patrice Louinet (one of the finest REH scholar in the world) is only based on the texts of Howard, according to his typescripts (or the first original publications when they no longer exist). The texts are rid of the additions, rewrites and apocryphal censures of Lyon Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter.

Thanks Pallentides. Do you have photos of the Del Ray books I have a stack of paper backs and Im wondering if I have that edition

• 3 weeks later...

Hard for me to pin down what would be my favorite Conan stuff...  I have a fairly extensive collection, including a complete run of all the English language Conan comics and magazines from Marvel and Dark Horse. I've collected all the toys, posters, and books that's I can get my hands on. I have the Lancer and Ace and Del Rey  editions of the original works, as well as at least one copy of all the pastiche novels... I've slowed down collecting, but I do have most of it displayed in an innocuous corner of my basement. Here's a peek at some of it:

IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I visited my wife's homeland of New Zealand these last two weeks and picked up 3 UK editions of Conan books while there. Nice addition to my US collection. I could have bought more, but didn't have room in luggage to bring them back safely.

@Epaka - Your collection makes me sad for the things I lost over the years, due to flooding and moving. I don't really buy Action Figures / models anymore, but I've been tempted by that Arnold in thief paint figure a few times now. It's great.

20170914_094445.thumb.jpg.358ced296edbcdfbaa82b0a011e3f5b1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Probably you all are interested more in english books & comics;  but here's my favourite Conan material:

The first two tomes (790 pages each) collect all the stories of Conan, with small introduction before each, to help the reader following his adventures chronologically. The second picture shows a part of my collection of comics; the first italian edition (I guess) of the Hour of the Dragon (1972!!!) ...oh, yes: everything is in italian.

Last, a french magazine I recently bought on the web and other books by R.E. Howard.

Cheers 

IMG_20171005_194203.jpg

IMG_20171005_194558.jpg

IMG_20171005_195618.jpg

1507226788303958351369.jpg

IMG_3752.JPG

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 3