Overlord Rerolls

sarumanthewhite

Hi folks,

Reading the 2nd edition rules, it's clear that players can reroll a single die multiple times.  

Questions:

1) If you have multiple free rerolls (e.g. Dark Demon) can you reroll a single die multiple times with this?  Presumably, you can spend gems after this to reroll as you'd like.

2) Can the overlord do this as well (either with a free reroll and subsequent gems or multiple gems)?

Thanks,  Cliff 

A free reroll affects a single dice. Let's say you roll :orangerel::orangerel: And you are happy with the result of one dice but you want to reroll the other. After rerolling you still get a poor result and you want to reroll again. In this case you cannot use the free reroll of the other dice (even if it's the same color) to reroll a second time, you'll need to spend gems.

After the initial roll, including free rerolls if any, you can spend as many gems as you want to reroll dice ( heroes and Overlord alike).

Of course if you have rolled to attack and your opponent has rolled to defend, you can't spend any more gems to reroll your attack dice. You can do that only during your attack roll.

At least this is how I understand it.

Edited by Arthadan
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

That's not how I understand the rules. Two yellow dice with re-roll symbols means that after rolling the dice you have up to two re-rolls for any of the yellow dice. Which means you can re-roll the same yellow die twice. I felt that was made very clear in the first edition of the rules. Perhaps I need to take a closer look at the V2 rules...

On the fourth page of the Heroes Rulebook, second version, it is written:

The arrow on a die icon means that the player may reroll one die of the matching type once for free (without performing a Reroll action).

It seems to me that about this, @Arthadan's way to play is canon, and yours, @Epaka, is a variant. :wink:

Edited by Not Quite Dead
Spelling
  • Like 2

Well, as a French-speaker, I may be mistaken, but the rule seems to state:

The player may reroll one die once for free. If it is written that one dice may be reroll once, doesn't that exclude the fact of rerolling that very die twice, or thrice, or 'n' times?

The French version of the rule states:

Le symbole flèche au-dessus d'un dé signifie que n'importe quel dé de cette couleur pourra être relancé gratuitement une seule fois.

which I would translate roughly by:

The arrow on a die means that any die of that color may be rerolled for free only one time.

The French expression Une seule fois being quite close of the English word once in my opinion.

As you said, @Epaka, it would be good to get some official answer about that. Maybe someone of Monolith, like @tony could clear this up?

• Like 1

That statement refers to one arrow allowing one re-roll of any die of that type. It stands to reason that if a character tile like the Archers shows two yellow dice with two re-roll arrows, the same die may be re-rolled twice. That was made very explicit in the original rule book, but I agree that it isn't made as clear in Version 2 rules. 

On 31/08/2017 at 1:27 PM, Arthadan said:

A free reroll affects a single dice. Let's say you roll :orangerel::orangerel: And you are happy with the result of one dice but you want to reroll the other. After rerolling you still get a poor result and you want to reroll again. In this case you cannot use the free reroll of the other dice (even if it's the same color) to reroll a second time, you'll need to spend gems.

After the initial roll, including free rerolls if any, you can spend as many gems as you want to reroll dice ( heroes and Overlord alike).

Of course if you have rolled to attack and your opponent has rolled to defend, you can't spend any more gems to reroll your attack dice. You can do that only during your attack roll.

Arthadan is right, and the official answer already given on BGG :

Each die can only be re-rolled for free once
You can roll, re-roll for free (if the die shows the arrow on top), but each new re-roll has to be paid in gems; even if you have "left outs" from the other re-rollable dice

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...