Pandemonium! (Show your demons)

I've just finished my first demon, the Demon from the Outer Dark. That miniature would look just fine in a Cthulhu themed game, like Mansions of Madness. This is where we see that REH was a friend of Howard P. Lovecraft!

I should buy a new photo camera, though. One with manual focus. In the picture below, the eyes of the demon look worse than what they really look (although they aren't very well executed :$).

59abfbe727c52_090317Dmondestnbresextrieures.thumb.JPG.d855d18c188094c8854d0e388130b04d.JPG

And you? What do your demons look like?

• Like 4

I didn't follow the color pattern of the artwork on the Earth Demon, but I got my inspiration from one of @Budala miniatures of Dark Demon that you may see here:

Instead of a dirt/earth/rock effect, I wished to get make it looks like as if it was made of obsidian with lava underneath. I'm quite happy with the result. :smile:

59b3b3f6c6568_090917Dmondelaterre.thumb.JPG.836587a2b439cd9333959f5e4b76d201.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@rhogg27184, well, with all my minis I’ve been mostly following the color schemes of the game art. Of course, some interpretation is always needed. As I am still learning how best to paint minis I have realized that anything which is mostly black needs some kind of highlight colors just to make it pop. Gotta say though, you definitely improved on my efforts. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's my black demon.

2137569642_20190511DmonNoir.thumb.JPG.74443b379b20edf33159cd4a6329628d.JPG

Working on miniatures which are mostly black is really difficult for me. You can't shade it properly (obviously) and it's quite difficult to highlight it while keeping it, well... black. This one feels a bit unfinished in my opinion, but I'll see what my players will say once it's on the tabletop.

• Like 1

By the musk of Crom’s short and curlys, he looks awesome @Not Quite Dead! I’m not terribly thrilled with my painted version of the Dark Demon, and he’s not really one of my favorite minis in the game (kind of cartoony for my tastes), but you’ve made him look damn fierce and interesting. I think you nailed the trick with painting black minis, kind of a reverse of most minis, the shading is already done after the basecoat and one just needs to attend to the highlights. Great work!

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind comment, @Epaka. I'm glad that you like it! I must confess it's slightly better on photo than on the tabletop, as the eyes doesn't stand out very well when you're above the miniature. It works better if you hold it at the height of your own eyes.

I guess I'll paint white the exact same way: a base coat of a grey very close to white, so that the shading is done, and then highlights in pure white. I did that on the Valkyrie's pagne, and was glad with the result.

• Like 1

I almost always prime a solid white layer unless the final mini demands a black primer (like Cerberus or the aliens in Intruder), and then when the minis needs a white color it’s already there. For example, with the skeletons and mummies from Conan, the bones and bandages were already base-coated and just needed some ink wash for me to be happy. I found the mummies to be super easy to paint for this game. Flesh, swords, skirt, shade it all, done. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...