Game Tiles Warehouse Maps for Conan

GhostShip Blue

I've been working on converting maps created by Kris at Game Tiles Warehouse from PDFs to jpgs usable by the online scenario editor. In the course of that work I've had the opportunity to talk with Kris a little and I asked about an urban map. Kris is willing and able to do one and put it up in the GTW store but I'm going to have to pay him for a commissioned work. The cost is $150 and Kris is willing to let the community pitch in to pay the commission.

Is there enough interest in a 28" x 24" map of a market in Zamora's Maul - complete with market stalls, stairs, alleys and rooftops to warrant me looking into this any deeper?

A map without scenarios is of no use, and unofficial maps are less appealing for making scenarios because you are forcing people to print that single map for your scenario.

So unless you can add (or find people to make a collaborative effort) and provide no less than 4 scenarios to make it worth it, it's not very appealing.

That said, the completionist in me wants it badly. :w00t:

In the end it all depends on the price, I'd say. 

Zoning is part of building the maps - if the community has thoughts or input we can address that. But once it's done, just like the map boards that shipped with the game, it's done.

The matter of there being no scenarios, and that making the board useless is another matter entirely. I'm not sure that I agree with the premise but that's only me. The scenario editor means that a map is potentially useful to the community - there are plenty of people who can use it to build scenarios from a variety of other components.

However, that's one person's opinion. If no one wants it, or no one wants to build scenarios for it, wants to pay for it (I suspect the actual purchase price of the digital map will be a matter of $5 or less) or the commission it's an easy enough thing to let it go with a "Not such a great idea after all but certainly worth asking about".

I only brought up zoning because several months back on the French Overlord there was a lot of back and forth on the fan-made jungle map (which I believe is in the scenario editor now).  There was some disagreement on the arrangement of zones and I think they even took a poll.  I can't remember exactly because I didn't participate because at that point I wasn't really in a position to be able to print out my own maps.

Printing them out is the big problem. With a local digital print shop like Kinkos in the US a single print isn't too expensive. Trying to tile them on a home printer sucks. The availability of printed, and maybe even mounted, maps is one of the things I've asked Kris about.

I may open this discussion over at BGG too, just to make sure that as many people as possible get the chance to weigh in.

So we can get them printed? Could we use a service like The Game Crafter to get boards created? A single 4 fold board with image mounted is only 10 (or maybe 15 not sure) dollars? Also, would you do work on request? I have been thinking maybe put some of REH scenarios together, Red Nails, Jewels of Gwahlur or maybe Tower of the Elephant. Been looking for maps not finding any so I was going to make them....

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/QuadFoldBoard

Sounds good, but shipping to the EU would probably be a killer as boards are both big and heavy. Perhaps shipping all together and then distribute them within Europe from a single location would be cheaper. Or finding another similar printing service in the EU.

Thing with maps based on original REH stories is that sooner or later they will have an official version because that's what Monolith's license covers.

Not trying to derail from the original Zamora streets map, but since I already have a Conan the Barbarian project Link on the works, it needs custom maps and that's beyond the scope of Monolith's license I'm quite interested in this.

Perhaps we could run a poll with different maps to know which one generates more interest?

Edited by Arthadan

A poll might not be a bad idea. I've taken on rezoning the existing GTW maps.

Printing is an interesting issue. I've started talking to Kris about it, but at the moment he's fulfilling a Kickstarter and has some reservations about getting boards printed. He has said he's willing to look at it though. I suspect the problem is how many of which to print and what is the investment to get both the printing done, the printed boards shipped to him or to get them delivered to buyers.

There has been some talk of generating them as tiled PDFs suitable for printing on A4 sheets for the time being. Those of us in the US may have some issues but the work load of breaking stuff into two different sets of tiles is pretty large.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:49 PM, GhostShip Blue said:

I've been working on converting maps created by Kris at Game Tiles Warehouse from PDFs to jpgs usable by the online scenario editor. In the course of that work I've had the opportunity to talk with Kris a little and I asked about an urban map. Kris is willing and able to do one and put it up in the GTW store but I'm going to have to pay him for a commissioned work. The cost is $150 and Kris is willing to let the community pitch in to pay the commission.

Is there enough interest in a 28" x 24" map of a market in Zamora's Maul - complete with market stalls, stairs, alleys and rooftops to warrant me looking into this any deeper?

A Zamoran market would be an ideal choice - crossroads of the world after all

Noone has suggested a better choice,  and I can't think of one, any competing ideas or would we aim to go forward with this one?

I'd pitch in a share of the cost for a printable file, I'm in the UK so would have to get it printed myself anyway.

Regarding zone issues I'd ask for a well realised zoned version but also to include a file without zoning I can adapt myself for my own use

Regarding 4 scenarios or more I'd likely publish at least that many myself, I'd guess the enthusiasm for a new map would mean an awful lot more than that published here?

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished rezoning the first of the maps. It took a couple of tries to develop a process but I'm happy with the final result. What's the community think? I've kept the forested zones small to make ranged combat and movement through them difficult while the road sections are much larger to facilitate faster movement and longer arrow ranges. The entrance to the mine or dungeon will require rules to define how it interacts with the scenario.

If there is anyone who is bi-lingual and is willing to share (and interpret the feedback) this with the French speaking community I'd appreciate it.

This map should be available from http://gametilewarehouse.wixsite.com/rpgtilesupply fairly quickly although you may have to message them until they get it added to the store.

Kris is still working on fulfilling Kickstarter commitments so has NOT had a chance to work on Zamora yet. 

Forest map A preview.png

Edited by GhostShip Blue
Typos

One potential for the mine entrance is the classic sword and sorcery ritual sacrifice. Zogar, Thoth Amon or some other sorcerer has a captive in the Mine Entrance zone with a marker to represent an altar. If the heroes don't reach the altar and succeed at a Manipulation roll by a specific turn Thaug or one of the other large monsters is summoned.

One idea I had for this was to use the KS Tentacles. The number of tentacles could be based on a spell roll and they could appear in random zones. The Leviathan could appear in the Mine Entrance. The victory conditions could change radically if the tentacles are summoned and the heroes now have to kill the Leviathan and all the tentacles in order to win.