Conan The Barbarian: additionnal rules & stuffs for expert fans

Florentin

@Xaltotun@Arthadan & I, worked hard  to produce a lot of elements for the fans community of the 82's movie: Conan the Barbarian !

Our first goal was to allow every fans to live the best battle of the movie with the Conan's Monolith core game.

To do so you will find all what is necessary in the main Conan the Barbarian post (there) and in the download section (here).

This new post is created to propose new stuffs, tips, best new & funny rules and alternative maps for the Conan the Barbarian's campaign.

Choose or not to use them, compare and give your point of view, propose your own rules without limits !

Here our only goal is to have fun and to create !

Note: at the time of the creation of this post only one scenario is nearly complete: the Battle of the mounds.

So, Welcome hyborian adventurer take your sword and tread the jeweled thrones of the earth under your sandalled feet!

And as a first gift, a special and quite rare interviews of the heroes of the 82's best movie in the world!

Let's Enjoy!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Primeval for your link !

A lot of miniatures that will allow to create big adventures in Serpent tower's scenario of the Conan the Barbarian Campaign!

Even if the miniatures are 28 mm that doesn't matter because they are quite representative of the Set bad guys and they are often weak and small in front of Conan ! :smile:

cultist1.thumb.jpg.e7e079cae5b057ab8d989da0d4ea6f91.jpgcultist3.thumb.jpg.a894ee7c98f179254403ed466e01bd5b.jpgcultist4.thumb.jpg.7f92b53081e5107eb144c50491b3cc91.jpgprophet.jpg.c51f8ff31164bb1ec15bb22a542f1c81.jpg

And extra miniatures too that could be interesting for alternative adventures:

cultist2.thumb.jpg.7b04e7547ddf54f95c38a9bdb95ca03b.jpg

• Like 3

In the basic scenario of the "battle of the mounds" many points could be improved in order to offer more fun and game experience.

As an example,  the following elements could be developped:

- heroes: 2 additional heroes can arrive on the playmat: 

* The wizard with a lot of magical powers

* Valeria with Valkyrie powers 

To balance the game:

-  all Thulsa doom's riders could dismount and run after the heroes accross the monoliths

- all Thulsa doom warriors could be managed as required by the overlord. 

- Moreover, the map could be double sized and describe new parts as: the wizard's house, the sea,  maybe other mounds with specific rules (as new map that would allow to fight below and inside the mounds) and maybe:

- new creatures could be awaken or summoned on the map.

- Moreover,  skeletons could be managed by the heroes as obstacles to disturb the movement of the doom's warriors.

- Thus, new rules could be written to manage obstacles: to put them and to get rid of them. 

-Pit & traps mechanisms could be improved too:

In fact,  once activated maybe heroes should be cautious too to avoid to activate them. 

Thus, new skill could be developped to manage this! 

-  The "fear" management would allow to change avantage of heroes and doom's trooper on the battlefield! 

- Improved the horse management could be interesting.

- "mounted heroes" possibility could be fun too to try: Conan on a horse with is sword riding towards Rexor could be interesting. 

- Thulsa doom's power could be improved too: What about allow him to change into a giant snake!

A lot of ideas could be tested and balanced in order to improve the game experience.

:dwarf:Feel free to indicate which rules you would like to see developped for "Conan the Barbarian" alternative and expert campaign !

:dwarf:Feel free in this post to give your ideas, wishes  and dreams to make them come to life!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

An idea to improve the game experience could be to print some additional accessories in 3D !

So if you have some ideas don't hesitate!

As example, for the battle of the mounds: monoliths, stones, altars ...mounds themselves could be printed!

@Arthadan already sent me some link, there were ages, for this: here!

monolith.thumb.jpg.ddeeb50d69acf268030ea9837ca2b3d7.jpg

Moreover, synergy could be created with @Ariochson's "the Mythic Battle" 3D group on the french forum: here !

If you have some additional links just give them!

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

For next "Conan the Barbarian"'s scenario: "The Atlantean sword" & the "Wirch", wolfs will be necessary!

If you had not the chance to have wolfs as  @NURTHOR talked  about during Conan KS or if like me you find that the "giant wolfs" of Conan game look like more normal wolfs than giant ones, try these additional miniatures!

You are lucky you have many choices possible!

The first ones are:  here!

And look like at this:

wolfs1.thumb.jpg.9236d2bb0e80a1e958fe17da3ad23eaf.jpg

The second one are quite impressive too: you can find them here!

loups.thumb.jpg.d8c43c8b8dcf28d52bd7987c05ea01b1.jpg

look at the result!

It is interesting, isn't it ? :dwarf:

loups21.thumb.jpg.73f27618f9096be2cc6e7e143852670b.jpg

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

I you are looking for other beautiful miniature's that look like the characters of the 82's movie go on the Sygill's forge site: here!

You would find:

image.thumb.jpg.2797d3019386fb690a36ae5c0580cf4c.jpg

Alternative Conan, Thulsa doom, Alternative Valeria

This Valeria Alternative is for the "Conan the Barbarian"'s scenarii: the serpent's tower!

and as well:

for the "Conan the Barbarian"'s scenarii: the montain of power & the orgy & the battle of the mounds

Yasmina :

f1.jpg.0f24bc34dbde7ae5085ef04265f7eea0.jpg

But also:

many Valeria Alternative :

f2.jpg.f12453f7864451cc7fc2589fe75553ff.jpg  and f3.jpg.896fa45bae21445c505752e3e8c4f6ed.jpg andf4.jpg.5bbe1e042243cf46d38005a795320104.jpg

for the "Conan the Barbarian"'s scenario: attack of the Conan's village

An alternative fora Vanir

f6.jpg.027b0ebab1938b40a8b3144cbc014527.jpg

and a Cimmerian Woman:

f5.jpg.8ef8e6bb5265a9d07d4d402a875f4c68.jpg

or a Cimmerian warrior or a Vanir

f9.jpg.7e3eae01c14b755b4c5b9e73a83136f0.jpg

for the "Conan the Barbarian"'s scenarii: the moutain of power & the orgy

A Thulsa doom's guard

f7.jpg.d0b3ac5b400d944a9eea6ee8d656940a.jpg

An other guard or an adept with weapons:

f8.jpg.de90a02ea749447aaaf77622f9822d13.jpg

An other guard or adept too:

f10.jpg.a2b47461ee7863a3c3594430244659a3.jpg

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

Extended rule n°1 :  riders management - mount and dismount

for the Conan the Barbarian's scenario: The battle of the Mounds.

4 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

There's no sense, in my opinion, that a warrior can't dismount, but, as you said, it's also a matter of balancing the scenario.

But, if the prohibition doesn't make sense, we can introduce a small rule to help the OL to consider his strategy...

In the standard game, the OL can sacrifice some gems to 'relive' (can't remember the exact word used in the rules) some dead units per turn; so, here's the small rull: mounted units killed can eventually be reused bythe OL, paying the amount of gems requested; a dismounted/dishorsed unit is definitely eliminated after being killed.

First proposal of the extented rule for the riders:

All the riders will be Dismounted if and only:

- they suffer exactly 1 wound (if they suffer 2 or more they will be killed right away).

- they stop their horse and get off the horse to be on foot but the cost is 3 gems (if the OL can't pay dismount is impossible): 1 to stop the horse, 1 to get off the horse and a last one to take his weapons to be ready to fight (or to begin to walk).

• Then a horse token is let on the area on the map.
  • Everyone that arrives on the area can use this horse if he is a rider for a 3 gems cost.
  • A new tile appears for the overlord in addition to the mount tiles for the group concerned. This tile represents the on foot riders group for the group concerned (i.e.: The red black guards are 3 riders. OL decides that one of them must dismount. 3 gems are paid by the OL. A new tile appears beneath the river: the red black guard on foot tile !
    • this on foot group will be activate at the same time as the other riders.
    • on foot riders miniature is set  on the map just near the horse! If the both the miniature & the horse could be set on the same area because not enough space, the riders could not dismount.
    • Dismount is not considered as a displacement:
      • Thus, a rider can move and dismount and walk if his movement is not finished.
      • Or a rider can dismount and then walk.
  • If there are some "skeleton" tokens on the area they should be returned before to dismount and the tokens are resolved: trap, item, decoy...
  • if there are "character secret presence" tokens in the area, they should be returned before to dismount and the tokens are replaced by the characters if they are in the area. Other linked "character presence" tokens are discarded because useless now. If the "Character presence tokens" are empty, the other "character presence" tokens can stay face hidden on the other areas of the map.

Note: Maybe Conan & the others heroes could take the free horses too.

• So in such situation maybe the horse could be considered as an ally for the heroes and bring them some specific advantages to define.

Some tokens proposed there were created few months ago by Yaoull.on the french forum. If they are used maybe some information should be updated!

token_monture.png.5bef36573a2c7c046f6934758b6297a2.thumb.png.a4e5d03b0ee45dca260c56e2fa4d7862.pngtuilecheval.jpg.2d8a4eef476f9845b42b59ae911bb727.thumb.jpg.572cff83dcaa700101132e4f089bcad2.jpgtuilecheval2.jpg.e9c33f001cb2066e77221854db4a1263.thumb.jpg.521c15f727ad49c4079f7007f34c5d66.jpg

• Maybe heroes & OL characters can move followed by their horses, if there is enough place in the areas where they enter ?
  • Maybe horses can bring some equipment: weapons and armors for heroes as a shield, axe, bow, arrows ...and so on

What are you thinking of this @Xaltotun ? Would you like to change things ?

Panoplia.jpg.12b32da1261e581197c1a59319436d86.thumb.jpg.1f3333379b45411bc5ca90a9718c721a.jpg

Edited by Florentin

Extended rule n°2 : Arrows management - Subotai's arrows

for the Conan the Barbarian's scenario: The battle of the Mounds.

Subotai is so overloaded with his heavy armor that the has decided to place some arrows in strategic points instead of carrying them with him and to risk to lose them while running.
- He has a limited numbers of arrows for his bow in this scenario, 15 arrows only
- Any arrow token taken by a character with a bow will increase the arrow number by 1 (arrow tokens are placed by the heroes, along with some more items, see the following special rule, "the dead will help us").

Arrow2.jpg.3c5c401abfdff2c892d12b4e621e7955.jpg

- Only one arrow token can be carry at one time by Subotai.

- Some arrows stake can be set in some strategic places to easily shoot the attackers!

- The gem cost to catch an arrow is 0.

What are you thinking of this @Xaltotun ? Would you like to change things ?

Panoplia.jpg.12b32da1261e581197c1a59319436d86.thumb.jpg.f169e594a13957782fca2c4959e9d565.jpg

Edited by Florentin

I think it's very good to collect all the ideas we talked about here, to try and elaborate an advanced rules section.

Honestly I'm not so convinced about the idea of dismounting and mounting that make horses more similar to motorbikes: this scenario sets a battle, where dismounting means having no time to secure your horse, who would probably flee in more quiet areas... 😯 lucky him!

Some other ideas are nice and very interesting to try, but I find a bit difficult to figure out  advanced/alternate rules, without having tested yet the base game and, after many plays, established a good and solid standard rules.

By the way, I'd like to go on collecting here all the others ideas, so we can have all the material ready to discuss the advanced rules, once the base one is ready, tested and confirmed, or/and eventually changed.

I have also some other ideas in my mind (Valeria), but I'd prefer to move step by step, finishing and testing the 'standard' game first: I'm sure that many more will come, this way. 😉

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

I think it's very good to collect all the ideas we talked about here, to try and elaborate an advanced rules section.

Honestly I'm not so convinced about the idea of dismounting and mounting that make horses more similar to motorbikes: this scenario sets a battle, where dismounting means having no time to secure your horse, who would probably flee in more quiet areas... 😯 lucky him!

Some other ideas are nice and very interesting to try, but I find a bit difficult to figure out  advanced/alternate rules, without having tested yet the base game and, after many plays, established a good and solid standard rules.

By the way, I'd like to go on collecting here all the others ideas, so we can have all the material ready to discuss the advanced rules, once the base one is ready, tested and confirmed, or/and eventually changed.

I have also some other ideas in my mind (Valeria), but I'd prefer to move step by step, finishing and testing the 'standard' game first: I'm sure that many more will come, this way. 😉

I understand your words they are wise!

Nevertheless, If you have ideas I suggest you to write them because good ideas often go away  !:wink:

It's better to write à bad idea than to risk losing à good idea! 

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Florentin said:

An interesting rule to test from @Primeval : here!

version_masculine.thumb.jpg.6bdf8861feb19444923e3087fbda6bc4.jpg

Maybe very useful on the map of the "Battle of the mounds" to manage on an other way the items hidden on the map and to give some advantages to the heroes if the overlord is too powerfull ! :dwarf:

Thanks for the kind words  - I actually have changed it up a bit - still has the ability shown above but wanted to make it reflect the name a bit more, so here is the new one, which actually might be altered for your scenario to work better - maybe instead of nearest chest, you could have the nearest token picked up and count that as the character looting his dead victim.

Reap The Glorious Spoils Of War.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Primeval said:

Thanks for the kind words  - I actually have changed it up a bit - still has the ability shown above but wanted to make it reflect the name a bit more, so here is the new one, which actually might be altered for your scenario to work better - maybe instead of nearest chest, you could have the nearest token picked up and count that as the character looting his dead victim.

Reap The Glorious Spoils Of War.png

I love this rule! 

Thank you very much @Primeval!

This rule will become the extended rule n°3!

Feel free to propose new rules,  ideas or concepts I am fan of your creations (tiles, cards, tokens, map....)!

• Like 1

What about special events that could occured during the game for a short or long time and that obly OL and heroes to adapt their strategy?

Weather effects:Wind, storm..., global magical spell, external disruption: insects, animals, natural events: earthquake, fire...

Edited by Florentin

11 hours ago, Florentin said:

What about to use specific cards to add skills to heroes for specific scenario ? 

There is here a post that was created to add a new hero skill ! 

For now, this is only in french!

This skill could allow to manage à lot of situations!

As an exemple,  special rules used it for fear effects management! 

Edited by Florentin

9 hours ago, Primeval said:

I had forgotten about these until I was looking for a link for Xaltotun - I think some of you might be very interested in these, which can be bought at:

http://fenrisgames.com/shop#!/FGCOM19-Doom-Shield-set/p/38341761

doomshields.jpg

Than you very much @Primeval for the address of the Fenrisgames web site !

This is very interesting !

I have a little explore the site and I found out an other surprise:

59f43e4022e7a_Thulsaoomhead.thumb.jpg.a969720076bd142378f70461e05c1548.jpg

:dwarf:

Edited by Florentin
  • Like 2

Sharing this although it will probably not be for sale - too close to the original to avoid copyright issues. It might be doable as a freebie if a company bought it and did not actually sell it, I know a couple of people who have done that with other copyrighted characters....

Boris did a couple of sculpts for my miniatures so it might be worth looking into after I get my Kickstarter finally delivered.

17807246_1263046790479966_2675889257802732868_o.jpg

• Like 2