Generic Map board vs Normal Map board

Map question  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello All, 

I would like to make a suggestion, what I see a big issue with the Conan is one map for a lot of scenarios. Isn’t there a better way, to create a game map? I would wish for something like in Gears of War, generic map that can be put together with several options.

I would go for some smaller square map tiles that can be joined together and create broader variability. I see that you work with elevations and so on, but I believe you are able to do it even with smaller pieces. If the map may be created from 6 pieces it will get you a lot of variety for a same scenario and I see this as a big plus for replay-ability.

For me the maps was the one of the things that hold me from backing Conan. So I want to know how you see this? (Be gentle I am new here) :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chess has one boards and one layout yet it has been found to be re-playable by many.

I myself have played 9 games of the same Batman scenario and have watched 60+ games. It has not  gotten dull yet, due to the many possible actions that can be preformed and the strategys layout by the dice.

Having room tiles would be great but I feel it will be a headache for the designers at this time. There are so many variables in the number of characters, their powers and the equipment that they are trying to balance the scenarios the best they can. Throwing a another element, such as random board lay out, is another formula to add to the equation. I'm not saying it's impossible. But it's something they are not looking at, as the KS is approaching fast. And the objective for Monolith is to give you a solid product with no holes in it. 

I would counter it, if they are aiming for game to be more generic. The maps may help it a lot, putted in specific layout for a specific scenario if needed. Even if there would be an issue same as in Conan (with some scenario) you still may adjust the scenarios after the game will be released. The generic boards will just make more room for the new scenarios that may be released even after the game itself, also it makes more room for the community. I also understand that it may be late to add it. I just believe that this theme deserve more.

Sorry but Chess are no argument. Yes they are good game, but restricted one and today the mechanics allows you to do otherwise. But I can understand that you will be happy with 4 maps. Maybe I am just to spoiled, by other games. :smile:

Sadly I am not from UK, so I cannot try this game. Maybe you may writte some report how the game is in current state. I would really appreciate it. Is there any stealth mechanic incorporated? I just played Conan once and to be honest I wasn’t very catched by the game. Conan doing a lot of work, my support character just some small work..It is according the books, but it is sad that a player have this weird feeling. Will use your Chess reference, like a pawn to an rock.

Big boards with iconic places of Gotham are the best for me to recreate Batman stories.

Concerning the game play, each character has his responsibilities in the stories and Monolith is working on having a pool of heroes to play with in each scenario, so I expect a strong interest in each game. The fact to be able to choose gadgets for your batbelt at the beginning of the story is good fun as well.

Ok, Chess was a bad call. But over 95% of all board games use one static board. The same every game. But different outcomes every time.

To give you a hint at some of the adventures I have seen on this one static board of Batman:

• Once, a 10 year player, as Batman took out 2 off the 5 bombs and on the last round took out Bane too.
  • Another time, Red Hood helped out Catwoman and Batman as they were ganged up on and were unable to move. He removed all enemy figures from the board, but this was not enough to win the game.
  • Another time, a very courageous Catwoman snuck into three dangerous zones and disarmed three bombs without getting a scratch on her. While Batman and Red Hood took lots of tea breaks and just picked off the occasional thug.
  • Another time, the villain player had all the heroes close to KO status, and struggled to arm their bombs. We didn't think they would win...up until the last round...BOOM!

Every play has had a chance to show great heroism and have these stand out moment in game. It has been well balanced over the course of a year and no one character stands out from the rest. One comment that all reviews say about Conan is that everybody wants to play as Conan. While demoing this game, people were fighting over being the bad guy or Red Hood. And this is great thing, everyone has a favorite character and they feel and play differently.

Let's just wait and see what magic Monolith are going to offer us. We may unlock an addition 10 boards (20 other locations) or they may even be working on mini boards to connect the main boards...

• Like 2

Thanks Guys for an reply. 

I really enjoyed reading the Bazman reply, thank you for some insight to the game itself. Thanks for founding an time to write it. I assume that some more reports will be part of the Kickstarter campaign. 

I also understnad that both have its pros and cons. But I thing that even if you would create the board in such a way that it will be composed form big square tiles with possibility to attach them together with alll the sides, it will create a lot of options and different maps. That may be also interesting for the gameplay and replayability, but I also see that this is not really deal breaker as there is not to many people who are seeing it same way.

I see that the outcomes will be different based on characters taken and equipment. But after few replies you will be still ducking behind same corner, you will know how it will take you to get somewhere and the first get to know thrill will slowly depart. (It will bring/highlight other qualities of course).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...