Best mini expansion?

iso250

Hi, @iso250!

If I was to get two of them and two only, I'd take the Black Dragons and the the Giant Wolves.

d7f25f48d16a807a2d8a166c27dd4ba6_originab2a6caf48eb1e42f4ff7b44c2561b954_origina

Here's why:

For the Black Dragons, it's only for aesthetic reasons: they are in my opinion amongst the coolest miniatures of Conan. They look great and that should be enough.

For the Giant Wolves, it's because they are used in the expansion Nordheim. Sure, you can replace them by hyenas, but some players were disappointed when they realised that that KS exclusive was used in an official expansion.

Another way to find out which expansion is the best would be to investigate through the official scenarii, in order to see which miniature is used the most often.

• Like 1

You really have two things to consider in my opinion: 1) quality of the miniatures. 2) usefulness of the miniatures in the game. 

Frankly, there aren’t that many official scenarios for any of these add-ons yet. If you own Nordheim you might want the Wolves since they are used in a couple scenarios for that expansion (and also one for the base game). However, the wolves have a very very boring and un-dynamic sculpture (IMO). I was definitely disappointed with them... The Vanir Valkyrie (Red Sonja), is also a crappy sculpture, out of proportion and totally lacking in detail (again, just my opinion). She is a playable character, so, that is perhaps a bonus - especially if you like to write your own scenarios. I like the Black Dragons, they are a cool sculpt and I’d imagine that there will eventually be plenty of official (1 so far) and non-official scenarios to use them. I also really like the Demon of the Earth, cool sculpt and plenty of game potential. The Sabretooth Tiger and Baal have a scenario apiece yet are both kinda ‘meh sculpts...  Baal has slightly more appeal just because he is an actual character from the original REH, even though his sculpt is cartoony and doesn’t really fit well with the rest of the game. 

• Like 2

The wolves don't seem that awe inspiring as far as sculpt goes, but their usefulness means I'll get them.

I know the black dragons look so very cool, but having an extra player to choose from is really giving me a hard choice.  Cool looking baddies that you occasionally use vs a player you can play with.

Note that if you don't like the miniatures of wolves, you can also use proxies. There is a topic with link to more dynamics wolves here, on the French-speaking forum and, if you plan to buy Nordheim, you'll get the tiles for the wolves. :wink:

That means you can focus on another KS exclusive, if you'd like to get the Vanir Valkyrie, for instance. Note that the Vanir Valkyrie may be played as an antagonist as well as a player-character, if that's the kind of stuff you're looking for. :wink:

38a3724f2a04393b57b590cf53d3e3db_originae00630d03b0542f677e1dd60f81920e2_origina

Edited by Not Quite Dead
  • Like 1

The Black Dragons are Conan’s personal guard during his time as King of Aquilonia, so they are most likely to be used as Allies for a player using King Conan. They could, however, be used in many cool ways by Hero players or the Overlord in home-brewed scenarios. So far, to my knowledge, Black Dragons are only used in one official scenario so far.

I don’t believe that the Vanir Valkyrie is used in ANY official scenarios yet, but we can assume she will get one scenario eventually. Unless you have devised a good system for swapping out hero characters in existing scenarios (something that I’ve generally found difficult to do without radically affecting the game balance for any given scenario), or you enjoy creating your own scenarios, she isn’t terribly useful as of yet. And again, her sculpt is very poor I feel (maybe the worst in the game?). I went all-in on this game during the first KickStarter and felt that at $12 she was overpriced. If you plan to pay eBay prices for her.... well, I’ve said my opinion enough about her!.... :) 

The wolves of course do have one scenario using the core set, and a couple in the Nordheim expansion. So they could be a useful item. All in all the whole game and all the add-ons are great, so you can’t go wrong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Not Quite Dead said:

Note that if you don't like the miniatures of wolves, you can also use proxies. There is a topic with link to more dynamics wolves here, on the French-speaking forum and, if you plan to buy Nordheim, you'll get the tiles for the wolves. :wink:

I have Nordheim on the way.  If you get the wolf tiles in that then I may as well get some generic wolves that look better than the KS Exclusives.  It'll certainly be cheaper!!

That being said, both Not Quite Dead and Epaka have touched on which ones are used the most.  I have the Book of Set, the other scenario book is arriving in the mail today and the three expansions during the week.  Might be best to count which ones will see more use and get those?

• Like 1

I can’t wait for my Book of Set to arrive! I haven’t been factoring that into my scenario counts on this topic... I’m also excited to eventually receive the Modiphius crossover and tiles, but I have no idea when that will be shipping out to me, I don’t think that they have announced when Wave 2 shipping happens. 

I haven’t painted the Sabretooth yet, so I took another look at the mini (which I primed awhile ago), it is indeed a nice enough looking sculpt. It’s certainly better than the awful Lion that came with King Conan, ugh. I’ll definately be using the Lion that comes with Mythic Battles when that gets here. Now THAT is an amazing predator cat sculpture!!!  I might also look into getting some better looking Wolves to use in this game. I mean, the ones from the Conan add-on are soooo bland, not the least bit threatening.  

Also, I can agree that perhaps it was just the casting and molding that was inferior for the Vanir Valkyrie. Her face in particular looks almost melted. Not wild about her pose, nor the fact that she towers over most other minis, including Conan. But, again, I’ve probably picked on that mini enough already... lol. 

• Like 1

I know that the bundles of KS exclusive add-on that were sold with the Book of Set were the 10% remaining from the first KS, that Monolith didn't sell just in case of shipment issues. Now that they have been sold too, I guess that Monolith doesn't have anything left.

That means that they should produce miniatures again in order to sell them. Not sure they will do it... but as @Epaka, I can't give you a definitive answer, this should come from Monolith's staff (for instance @SentMa or @tony)... but maybe they don't know for now.

They are very likely currently focusing on Batman.

Edited by Not Quite Dead
Spelling