Conan 2019 : choose the new expansions.

SentMa

The new expansions :  

626 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just like on the French site I voted for them all!  :ambidextre::peur:

Also, on the topic of balance.  I, too, have yet to see a scenario that is truly unbalanced.  9 times out of ten, whenever someone says a game is unbalanced it's usually something else.  In the case of Conan, either someone forgot about a skill, or forgot about encumbrance limits, or something else they could do.  Or, and this may sound mean, but sometimes one of the people playing just honestly isn't as "clever" as the other player.  People talking about balance when they've only played a couple of times is one of my pet peeves.

• Like 4

Voted for Red Nails. I'd love to see more elements of that story in game form (including a better dragon), but I also just feel that a game board depicting any kind of ancient 'lost city' is definitely needed for this game.  However, we could also use a true wilderness setting (the Pict village is fairly close but not right for some potential REH base scenarios), and yes, a full-on Hyborian Western Kingdom city setting would be nice too. 

100% AGREE that there are NOT any truly broken scenarios. Many of the complaints of 'broken' scenarios on BGG were absolutely the result of people not understanding the gameplay rules, or completely missing the possible/necessary application of useful skills, etc. There are, however, many scenarios which could use more details in the description which could help cut down on gameplay questions. In some cases, there are some glaring questions that seem so completely obvious that it's hard to believe the scenarios were playtested and nobody saw that clarification would be needed before publishing. I can always house-rule my way through, but c'mon! As an example, I posted some simple questions for the Tranicos scenario recently on this forum that seem like no-brainers.... Still haven't heard anything back from our mods, but hopeful I will eventually... 😬

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Odolontres said:

@Matt John S  @Epaka

The statistics after recording hundreds of games seem to say otherwise...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1668462/balance-statistics-your-help-needed

@Odolontres:  Well, if I kept track of all the Conan sessions my group has played from day 1, which would include a ton of rounds that we played incorrectly for one reason or another, my statistics would be all over the place.

Also, did you read that's entire thread? Crunching those numbers as a whole computes to 57% chance of Heroes wining, with 95% confidence. Which basically means very good balance. Even among the anecdotal evidence of the other posts on that thread there is a great deal of disagreements about results, and examples of people playing incorrectly. 

There is no way to determine, from such a tiny data set, that the game is unbalanced, or that any given scenario is broken...

For my part, also anecdotal, I'm just noting a recent trend towards Hero wins. Generally my group can point to one given moment, or bad decision, on the part of the OL that meant a loss for him. I stand by my assertion (and @Matt John S), that no particular scenario is truly broken. Further, I stand by my assessment that the OL needs to play very shrewdly with experienced Heroes, and that the OL has less margin for error.  What has your experience been? Is there a scenario that you find to be 'broken'?

EDIT: I suppose we are off topic now... Mods? To bring it all back I'd just add, Red Nails is crushing it, whoot!

Edited by Epaka
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, awesomeshotdude said:

It certainly is...in the English section...in the French section Red Nails has just over 20 votes, but the Aquilonia choice has a whopping 560+ votes...

This is a joke from an admin who added 500 votes when he created the poll. French-speaking users are well-aware about it. Those 500 votes don't really count. :wink:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Not Quite Dead said:

This is a joke from an admin who added 500 votes when he created the poll. French-speaking users are well-aware about it. Those 500 votes don't really count. :wink:

Ahahahaha...oh ok, thanks for letting me know. I guess that still puts the French guys voting about 69 - 24 in favour of Aquilonia over Red Nails, kind of the reverse for here...interesting! I guess perhaps because Aquilonia is very loosely likened to a French style setting perhaps...

• Like 2

It's likely.

Another reason is that the request for the Red Nails was made by a user a few days after the beginning of the poll. The admin added it to the poll and when the poll was translated and added here, the Red Nails was among the other options from the beginning. I guess that on the French-speaking forum, some of the people who had already voted didn't change their vote for the Red Nails even if they would have been interested by such an expansion. I, for instance, didn't change my vote there. Maybe I should do so.

20 hours ago, Not Quite Dead said:

Another reason is that the request for the Red Nails was made by a user a few days after the beginning of the poll. The admin added it to the poll and when the poll was translated and added here, the Red Nails was among the other options from the beginning. I guess that on the French-speaking forum, some of the people who had already voted didn't change their vote for the Red Nails even if they would have been interested by such an expansion. I, for instance, didn't change my vote there. Maybe I should do so.

This is probably very likely the reason :)

On 27/11/2017 at 3:29 PM, Epaka said:

Also, did you read that's entire thread? Crunching those numbers as a whole computes to 57% chance of Heroes wining, with 95% confidence. Which basically means very good balance. Even among the anecdotal evidence of the other posts on that thread there is a great deal of disagreements about results, and examples of people playing incorrectly. 

Nope. It simply means that some scenarios are terribly unbalanced in favor of the heroes and others in favor of the OL.

There is no way to determine, from such a tiny data set, that the game is unbalanced, or that any given scenario is broken...

Well, I would say that with a minimum of 25+ games recorded, there are quite a few scenarios with dreadful numbers.

For my part, also anecdotal, I'm just noting a recent trend towards Hero wins. Generally my group can point to one given moment, or bad decision, on the part of the OL that meant a loss for him. I stand by my assertion (and @Matt John S), that no particular scenario is truly broken. Further, I stand by my assessment that the OL needs to play very shrewdly with experienced Heroes, and that the OL has less margin for error.  What has your experience been? Is there a scenario that you find to be 'broken'?

After playing them more than once and with different groups, I would dare to say that Hunting the Tigress, In the Heart of Darkness, The Final Ritual and For all of Ophir's Gold are seriously off-balance (if not broken).

Edited by Odolontres
  • Like 1

I'd buy them all, but first and foremost are Aquilonia and Red Nails followed closely by Hyborian Kingdoms and Turan (and please include Khoraja and Khauran in too!  I'd love to play out some Harold Lamb-esque Crusader stories).  What I was really hoping to see was a Kull of Atlantis Expansion.  You could have boards for Atlantis and Valusia and either adapt the Conan rules to play as Kull in the Thurian Age or play as Conan in the sunken ruins against the Serpent Men of Valusia.  How cool would that be?!  It'd also bring Thulsa Doom into the game while remaining true to Howard's works.

• Like 2

I voted for Red Nails and a "City of Thieves" expansion. I feel that an expansion that doesn't focus on a region but more on a specific story is one I'd be interested in. Like a "Scarlet Citadel" or a "A Witch Shall Be Born" type thing. something where you could actually have some form of mini campaign to go with it along with a bevy of miniatures, and a hero or two. I think these two options would provide us with two solid locations with a lot of depth, lots of mob enemies and villains to work with, and a good cohesive narrative to frame your scenarios in.

• Like 3

I love the idea and impatience wins me again, like a year ago.

Incredible stories that age with Conan and very specific and special places :

Zamora, dark country,with the infamous cities like Yeduz, Shadizar the wickedness or Arenjun city of thieves.

With Priests such as Harpagus and his giant spider God called Omm (later a reincarnation or son of Omm himself, named Zath).

Pirates like Black Zarono or Strombiani.

Edited by Gozvykos

My first concern would be: are there going to be reprints of the old expansions? As there are people that do not have these.

Furthermore, it goes without saying that unless you start creating rules for implementing the small Kickstarter add-ons and exclusives of the old Kickstarter there is honestly no reason to back the new kickstarter because this kind of material will be useless in any case and one is better off just wait for the big box expansions to arrive in retail.

Edited by LovingAngel

I really like the idea of Hyperborea, especially if we get things like snow apes, castles covered in snow and ice, a giant ice worm, etc.  However, the description left of it really didn't do anything to draw me in.  No idea what is actually being offered.  While I love Hyperborea, just too little idea of what's on offer.

It's a similar problem with the Black Kingdoms.  The Teeth of Gwalhur is one of my favorite Conan stories, and it terms of climate and monsters it offers some very different stuff from the other expansions.  I suppose you can argue it's a little similar to the Pictish wilderness.  Still, you tell too little about what's available to make me feel secure about voting for it. 

Those disappointments aside, I must say that I do like what is rising to the top here.  The thieves expansion sounds really cool, but I am a little confused why it doesn't mention Shadizar or any other cities in Zamora.  I feel that's the pretty obvious place for rogue-shenangians to be happening.  The Turanian expansion sounds very promising and I hope we've got scenarios that involve grabbing goods out of caravans and lost cities.  

However, the real winner in my mind is the Red Nails.  It's one of my favorite Conan stories.  Multiple awesome settings, great new opponents, scenarios leaping to mind.  Yeah, it'll be METAL! 

• Like 1
  • I'm Batman! 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I don‘t know if it was already suggested, but what about an official CtB movie expansion featuring Conan as Arnold (warpaint/sword training pose/movie poster pose perhaps?), Valeria (Valkury outfit... groarrrr) and Subutai? And as villains of course we need Tulsa Doom, Rexor and Thorgrim in their movie armour. As regular troops I suggest the masked cultist guards and some cultist weirdos... As scenery pack a cauldron with ´cultist food´ would come in handy. And as equipment deck the Atlantean sword, Father sword, eye if the serpent and fang of the serpent would be cool. Beats all the other expansions in my humble oppinion...

• Like 1

I would like to see as many linked scenarios / mini-campaigns as possible. My group is playing through the Legend of the Devil in Iron campaign right now and it is awesome. We also really enjoyed the two linked scenarios in the Khitai expansion. We actually  prefer these to the one-off scenarios in general. Something to do with experiencing a bit more of a story and just getting that slight feel of a roleplaying vibe going.

Aquilonia and Red Nails are my personal favorites by the way...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 6:42 AM, kasper said:

I would like to see as many linked scenarios / mini-campaigns as possible. My group is playing through the Legend of the Devil in Iron campaign right now and it is awesome. We also really enjoyed the two linked scenarios in the Khitai expansion. We actually  prefer these to the one-off scenarios in general. Something to do with experiencing a bit more of a story and just getting that slight feel of a roleplaying vibe going.

Aquilonia and Red Nails are my personal favorites by the way...

This is something we're going to do in Batman, and are probably going to do with Conan, as well. I already have some specific Ideas about it. Campaigns are indeed fun. Also, have you seen what we're putting together with the Community Generated campaign? Have a look under news. 

• Like 1