Conan 2019 : choose the new expansions.

SentMa

The new expansions :  

626 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Matt John S said:

This is something we're going to do in Batman, and are probably going to do with Conan, as well. I already have some specific Ideas about it. Campaigns are indeed fun. Also, have you seen what we're putting together with the Community Generated campaign? Have a look under news. 

Thanks Matt !

I will go have a look at the Community Generated campaign :-)

I think personally, as exciting as these expansions sound, I would rather see an update to the game that made it much more flexible, allowing players to choose their characters without too much worry about how that might affect game balance.  Similarly it would be nice if the overlord had some flexibility to decide at least some of the villains they might want to use.  This would add a much greater value to even the basic game, more so for the king pledge.

As for the expansions I definitely fancy the Turan expansion.  For me Conan has always had a more classical/ancient or Dark Age ambience to it that I think a Persian inspired expansion would suit perfectly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 3:50 PM, Neil Amswych said:

Since the new hero or heroes may not be canon (see Shentu and Ikhmet), can we please have a female hero who isn’t half-naked? I understand the genre and its motifs but another Valeria-type might be nice, if possible.

That's a good point, my female players usually complaint about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arthadan said:

That's a good point, my female players usually complaint about that.

It's very difficult. I totally understand and respect the genre. It's a genre of male fantasy, which includes titillation at the female form. I mean, I'm literally typing this post and on the right of my screen is one of Belit's boobs!

But still, since there are non-canonical elements coming in, it is an opportunity to be creative. In fact, Ikhmet could have been a woman with not too much effort. 

This isn't something I would go to the mat for, but ask that it at least be considered, please.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tastypuppy said:

Will the 2019 Conan Kickstarter campaign feature another standalone  core game box/either updating the current one or offering something new altogether? Or will this kick starter offer expansions only to the current core game?

I'll quote myself from another topic:

On 5.02.2018 at 12:20 AM, Iesthir said:

Not many things are clear right now, since it seems like Conan is really early in development. I mean, you still can vote what expansions you want to be included and a lot may change before KS. However, as far as I know it is not a reprint. More like Conan second edition.

From what I gathered and remember, we can assume:

• New expansions - Obviously, since there is vote for them in the forums
  • New rules for Overlord vs Overlord - it was mentioned that 2019 Conan will have same Overlord vs Overlord system as Batman
  • Revamped rules - Rules for Batman are basically same as for Conan but with few tweaks to fit them better in Batman setting and with few improvements for base system. Improvements will be implemented in new Conan as far as I know.

That is all that is known for now. If someone can add something to this list - it would be great.

Personally I think that there will be:

• New core box with two books of Skelos
  • New expansions
  • New SG
  • Old core box as add-on, possibly with Kings pledge box
  • Old expansion as add-on
  • Upgrade Kit for old core box as add-on - only if changes in rules will need upgraded components to be implemented in old core box.
  • No old SG

That would be most sensible from business side of things. People who already have Conan will buy the game and not loose anything (loose, as in: double the content of current edition), and new people will get full KS experience and possibility to buy old stuff.

As for old SG, I assume that they will be absent, since Monolith said very clear that they will be available only during original KS, as a reward for original backers who believed and funded the game. If they appear it would be as a re sculpt (highly unlikely, since a lot of community already have most of them) or as add-on.

Personally I hope that there will be less Conans in Conan :laugh:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’d like to see some specifics on “point values” for the various figures and equipment, so we could have a clearer idea of balance when creating (or adjusting) scenarios. As far as I know, it’s just a “feels right” system right now, but some more guidance would be helpful in expanding scenarios and content. 

Maybe creating some easy web templates too for creating and submitting new scenarios. 

And how about dashboards to use the Conan characters in Mythic Battles? That would be a blast. 

• 3 weeks later...

As for the 2019 campaign expansions, I'd propose the following:

- reprint of all original expansions, add-ons and guest boxes for everybody who couldn't buy them before (the same goes for free updates for backer like Rulebook 2.0 - I bought my God Pledge at the second-hand market and couldn't ever acquire the update)... I personally still lack few of them and I'd like to have all, so... I guess there will be many players who share my approach, right? people?

- adding the so-long-awaited solo expansion (relatively easy to implement to cooperative and semi-cooperative board games)... in my humble opinion it 's the last thing (besides some additional expansions of course) to make Conan a perfect game

- developing new expansions... what would I propose, as an old lover of REH's Conan books and an expert to Hyborian Age lore? well, Conan definitely needs the most three expansions focused on three very important aspects of Conan's life: 1) marine/pirate-themed expansion focused on Conan's adventures with Belit, piracy at the Vilayet Sea and so on (a map with the shore and some fortress by the sea to capture from the ship would be very nice too)... 2) thief/plunderer-themed expansion related to thieving and plundering... (a map of some exotic temple in the jungle or some old forgotten tomb would be grat for this one) 3) kingship-themed expansion referring to the kingship of Aquilonia and all the Conan's road to the throne... as for other expansions... I guess there are many interesting regions to explore - I'd start with Turan & Iranistan... and Shem too... to have some steppe and semi-desert open terrain maps...

- more characters!!! there were so many great characters in REH's Conan stories to use... I'm working on recreating the entire Howard's career of Conan, with few dozens of custom scenarios depicting the whole life of our Cimmerian hero... but I still lack so many great characters, allies, villains and creatures to use... for example I want more female characters (Zenobia (!), Olivia, Livia, Yasmela and so on)... and some more evil sorcerers (Xaltotun (!), Yara and so on) too... and deadly monsters and creatures... and Conan's companions... and rivals... and enemies...

- maps (there could be some map-only expansion, like containing e.g 2 or 3 two-sided maps for Conan, depicting settings not yet included in the existing and planned expansions)

- more heroes with OL tiles to use them as villains and more villains with character cards to use them as heroes... by the way - has anybody got a list of such side-swithing characters up to date?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 3:31 AM, Adam Hart said:

As for the 2019 campaign expansions, I'd propose the following:

- reprint of all original expansions, add-ons and guest boxes

- adding the so-long-awaited solo expansion

- developing new expansions...

- more characters!!!

- maps 

- more heroes 

These seem like great ideas to me. I'd probably go all in!

Edited by torus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would be really cool if they made a Cimmeria expansion. REH didn't write any Conan stories in Cimmeria, so it would be cool to see what the designers came up with. They could feature the attack on fort Venarium as one the scenarios! Who wouldn't love to play as a young Conan or his fellow Cimmerians spilling the blood of Aquilonians? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 7:25 AM, Arthadan said:

Another important point: the next Conan KS should have perfectly clear rules explanation.

You only need to take a look at the number of questions regarding unclear scenario rules to realise there is room for improvement in that area.

Couldn’t agree more... The basic game rules are adequate - other than the issues that can arise from Line of Sight on some game-boards, and determining exactly when a zone is ‘saturated’ with minis. However, the individual scenarios generally NEED at least a bit more clarification, in almost every case. Honestly, my gaming group has had game-breaking questions about perhaps 50% of the scenarios we’ve played. Some are so bad that I’ve had to wonder how the hell the scenario made it to print without the obvious questions being raised during play-testing. 

The recently released, fan-made, mini-campaign ‘Whispers from Stygia’ is a great example of how to properly write detailed scenario descriptions that address and explain the inevitable questions that can arise during a game. Kudos to the whole team that wrote it, including (I believe), @Ken @drmauric  @Neil Amswych@Footballzs @Primeval@Matt John S... 

Hopefully any new expansions, or even a 1.5 version of the game rules, will include a more concerted effort to answer possible core game/scenario questions within the rules and descriptions. I absolutely love this game, but I’m tired of having to consult BGG every time we play it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Epaka said:

The recently released, fan-made, mini-campaign ‘Whispers from Stygia’ is a great example of how to properly write detailed scenario descriptions that address and explain the inevitable questions that can arise during a game. Kudos to the whole team that wrote it, including (I believe), @Ken @drmauric  @Neil Amswych@Footballzs @Primeval@Matt John S... 

Hopefully any new expansions, or even a 1.5 version of the game rules, will include a more concerted effort to answer possible core game/scenario questions within the rules and descriptions. I absolutely love this game, but I’m tired of having to consult BGG every time we play it....

You are giving me way more credit than is deserved. I playtested and provided feedback. The other 5 did all the work. For those that haven’t had a look, then I recommend you do so here.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Epaka said:

@Epaka

That is high praise indeed! Thank you. Glad you are enjoying it. It was great working with a team that appreciates the game and and whose goal was to produce a quality product for everyone to enjoy.

And don't let @Footballzs fool you... feedback like his was essential in addressing the very issues that you mention. 🙂

• Like 3