Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

OK, I have the first draft of The Streets of Khemi. This is actually a revised version (my gaming group play-tested the original a couple of times last weekend). Obviously, the story will need tweaking, but I think the general premise captures what we discussed. Of course, we will need plenty of play-testing and revisions, but I wanted to make this available.

As far as the alternate final battle, I would be happy to tackle that with my idea in the ruined fort with Yogah as the bad-guy. I will work on that soon.

The Streets of Khemi.pdf

• Like 2

@Matt John S You asked about Bonus Gems and Victory Points.

Maybe the securing of an item results in the Bonus gems for the next scenario rather than keeping the item. (this would be a reversal of what I said in my previous post, but it would simplify the item carry over issue. Not sure I like this.) Would need an equivalent Overlird opportunity.

Maybe Victory points equate to Bonus Gems in the next scenario. 2 for Winner. 1 For Loser. Use them or lose them in the next scenario. 

Maybe the cumulative  total of the Victory points determines which final scenario is played.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

OK, I have the first draft of The Streets of Khemi. This is actually a revised version (my gaming group play-tested the original a couple of times last weekend). Obviously, the story will need tweaking, but I think the general premise captures what we discussed. Of course, we will need plenty of play-testing and revisions, but I wanted to make this available.

As far as the alternate final battle, I would be happy to tackle that with my idea in the ruined fort with Yogah as the bad-guy. I will work on that soon.

The Streets of Khemi.pdf

@Ken

Glad to see those Eternal Guards!

• Like 2

@Matt John S

Scenario nutshell:
- King Conan has premonitions/nightmares of his death at the hand of Amon
- Pallantides thinks he's being cursed and finds a contact to help with a ritual to fight this
- heroes and Pallantides along with guards meet with contact in tavern and are soon attacked by some minions
- portal opened to "dreamworld" within which Conan's premonitions are taking place
- heroes fight on 2 fronts: holding the portal open and safe from minions and helping Conan reverse the ending of the premonition in the dreamworld

The idea of the final scenario being a showdown on the Fortress map would be a neat book-end to this, especially with Conan making an appearance, and any boons/hindrances depending on the outcome of my scenario could also be implemented there.
Hope that's a helpful framework to make sense of things :)

Also, could I also throw my hat in for a FB group with a pinned post and links to the threads for each scenario?
This foruming thing with replies a million miles away from initial comments is kind of doing my 24-yo millennial head in :))

15 hours ago, Ken said:

The Streets of Khemi.pdf

Nice start. @Matt John S, when would you like to see the first draft of the scenarios by? I have a group who are ready to start testing soon but obviously have work commitments etc, so a rough deadline would be helpful.

@Ken I like the fact that the two villains can only move their base movement each turn. I was worried because I thought for a moment they could reach each other really quickly!!!

@Matt John S @Neil Amswych @Primeval @Ken

How would you other main scenario writers feel if I included a Spell Book item for Hadrathus similar to The Leadership Cape in Monolith's scenario The Price of Success? 

It would have 3 red gems that refresh every turn but Hadrathus can use them to cast spells. If a Sorcerer is our main Hero maybe he needs a little beefing up? 

I think Monolith did this with Pelias and the Ring in another scenario but I can recall the name right now.

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

I brainstormed some things last night and have my scenario mostly worked enough to start playing it. I'll give more details later, but I think I have a good level up feature. It happens once, right after my scenario before the final whether it's A or B. Essentially the overleld and Hero players get to level up depending on victory points. Let's say it's something simple like 1 victory equals 1 VP. After 4 scenarios the most one side could have would be 4. My thought Is, you get one VP by default but if you get more than 1 can go up two levels. Something like: 

After scenario 4:  you go up a level. chose 1 OR two. If you won two or more VPs chose both 1 AND 2. 

For Heroes: 

1- you may enhance your defense OR manipulate die. 

2- you may make your attack dice re rollable OR add one to your free movement.

For Overlord:

1-TBD

2-TBD

(Perhaps we assign these to Thoth or Demons tiles?) 

We could just add these directions to the end of my scenario? VPs can also determine which of the last two scenarios you play. Perhaps if you have over 2 VPs we offer other little bonuses. This keeps things relatievly balanced but gives the better player that small edge. 

Beyond this, we can implement things like Dan's spell book idea and bonus gems as we go. 

We really should nails these aspects down before any one digs too deeply into testing , right? 

@Grizzlyface that sounds like it will mess with what we have setup. It would have to be an optional scenario. I'm also a little hesitant to allow it to be a Dream sequence since in am planning on doing that myself. I think a scenario that involves Conan and Pallantides that's removed from the main thread is a cool idea for an optional mission though.

Gonna be late for work. Gotta go! Let me know what you think 

5 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

@Ken I like the fact that the two villains can only move their base movement each turn. I was worried because I thought for a moment they could reach each other really quickly!!!

Agreed. On our first playtest, the Overlord won on the 2nd turn just by spending all gems on movement. After some more playtests, if needed  I can change the boarding planks to add an extra space or two.

@Matt John S Ah, didn't catch you going for dreamworld, we could call this interdimensional or a far-away point after going through the portal and I think it would still work without overusing the concept. Your call in the end, we can chat more about the actual thematic reasoning for it down the line and you can tell me more about what yours entails so that I can steer away from it, but the dual map aspect is what I'd want to keep in regardless.

Optional is what I was going for, yes, since the whole main layout was already mostly in place by the time I pitched mine and that also lets me get away with things like Pallantides and Black Dragons so no problem there.

I think I'm good with mid-February for a near-finish with the caveat that I'll be out of the country 21-25th so there's going to be little to nothing done on my part in that week aside from probably some virtual fine-tuning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drmauric said:

How would you other main scenario writers feel if I included a Spell Book item for Hadrathus similar to The Leadership Cape in Monolith's scenario The Price of Success? 

It would have 3 red gems that refresh every turn but Hadrathus can use them to cast spells. If a Sorcerer is our main Hero maybe he needs a little beefing up? 

I think Monolith did this with Pelias and the Ring in another scenario but I can recall the name right now.

I love this mechanic, but this will affect The Streets of Khemi in two ways:

1. I am using the spellbook as a chest item in the Streets of Khemi. I will need to find a different item that will teach Hadrathus the lighting bolt spell.

2. Hadrathus is the only one who can kill Thoth Amon, and this will make him a little more powerful. I might need to compensate by making the heroes a little weaker.

This leads me to a question: 

Is your spellbook idea conditional, or will Hadrathus definitely get the spellbook?

2 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

@Kenscenario looks great. Be mindful of the little progressive elements which may come your way for the last scenario(s). Also, I see you're using the Outer Dark Demon. Is that the ongoing Demon we're using or the Dark Demon. Doesn't matter to me, but we should decide.

No, I was going on the assumption that the ongoing demon would be killed in a previous scenario. 

I used the Outer Dark Demon because he has to be difficult to catch, since he is carrying an artifact.

41 minutes ago, Ken said:

I love this mechanic, but this will affect The Streets of Khemi in two ways:

1. I am using the spellbook as a chest item in the Streets of Khemi. I will need to find a different item that will teach Hadrathus the lighting bolt spell.

2. Hadrathus is the only one who can kill Thoth Amon, and this will make him a little more powerful. I might need to compensate by making the heroes a little weaker.

This leads me to a question: 

Is your spellbook idea conditional, or will Hadrathus definitely get the spellbook?

@Ken I did see that you were using the Spell Book, and I knew this question would come up. Looking at the Retail Components the other option is the Sorcerer's Scepter. I could switch to that, no problem. (My main thought was the cool mental visual of Hadrathus using a Spell Book as his primary weapon. I'm not giving him a weapon in my scenario.)

As far as Hadrathus actually getting the item, there is enough incentive in the scenario for him to get it.

I think if the idea doesn't work in a particular scenario it can be written out. For example in yours maybe instead of making the other Heroes wreaker, don't allow the Spell Book item. Thoth Amon is a way more powerful sorcerer so Hadrathus functions at his regular gem level. Hadrathus' advantage pales compared to Thoth Amons's power. Meaning the spell book gives him no benefit. (simply exclude it from his starting equipment) and you can still use it for the Lightning Spell. Make sense?

It would have to be included in every other scenario's starting equipment if we decided to go this route.

5 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

@Ken I have the Dark Demon in mine but don't have explicit plans to kill it. But I could. It doesn't really matter. 

How does that level up/progression ideas sound? 

How much rerolling are we talking? Like all of the dice all of the time or are these one-time uses?
Talking about the attack dice here. Sounds like the one that can really be a big deal overall, others don't seem like dealbreakers.

18 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

@Ken I have the Dark Demon in mine but don't have explicit plans to kill it. But I could. It doesn't really matter. 

How does that level up/progression ideas sound? 

@Ken @Matt John S 

It's not too far out to consider the Outer Dark Demon  a final/evolved version of the Dark Demon. Remember I am using the Evil Hound to represent a not yet full power Dark Demon in the first scenario.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drmauric said:

@Ken I did see that you were using the Spell Book, and I knew this question would come up. Looking at the Retail Components the other option is the Sorcerer's Scepter. I could switch to that, no problem. (My main thought was the cool mental visual of Hadrathus using a Spell Book as his primary weapon. I'm not giving him a weapon in my scenario.)

As far as Hadrathus actually getting the item, there is enough incentive in the scenario for him to get it.

I think if the idea doesn't work in a particular scenario it can be written out. For example in yours maybe instead of making the other Heroes wreaker, don't allow the Spell Book item. Thoth Amon is a way more powerful sorcerer so Hadrathus functions at his regular gem level. Hadrathus' advantage pales compared to Thoth Amons's power. Meaning the spell book gives him no benefit. (simply exclude it from his starting equipment) and you can still use it for the Lightning Spell. Make sense?

It would have to be included in every other scenario's starting equipment if we decided to go this route.

@drmauric Alternatively, instead of learning the lighting bolt spell, I could use the scepter and make Haddy carry it around it order to cast the spell.

@Matt John S@drmauric @Neil Amswych @Primeval  Seeing it's the final scenario, I anticipate making tweaks to balance from progression carry-overs. This is why I am OK with Hadrathus getting the gem storing spellbook or characters getting extra gems/and or rerolls. I will take a look at the possible maximum and minimum bonuses and try to balance the scenario for the average. For example, if Hadrathus is going to have more gems, that means he can use more gems for defense, which means I might take away his Mitra's Halo. Or maybe I will give Thoth Amon more health, or more guards. There are plenty of variables that can be tweaked. 

Also, if we are going to allow the heroes to use VP to upgrade their defense (yikes!), then we should allow the Overlord to use his VP to add 1 yellow die to the base attack for the tiles in the river or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt John S said:

@Neil Amswych, I think we need a 3-4 weeks to consider everyone's schedule. I'm probably only going to have time for a session once per week. So let's say second week of February we should see a near finished scenario? 

3-4 week’s for finished?!? You’re kidding, right? These things have to be playtested to death to be balanced. My The Darkest Trick scenario took 6 or 7 weeks and that didn’t have any elements carried over from previous scenarios.

3 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

3-4 week’s for finished?!? You’re kidding, right? These things have to be playtested to death to be balanced. My The Darkest Trick scenario took 6 or 7 weeks and that didn’t have any elements carried over from previous scenarios.

@Neil Amswych

I think he means we will submit our near finished scenarios and then begin group playtesting.