Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

@Matt John S I like the simplicity and the one time level up. And what you have in mind for the Heroes.

For the OL maybe bump up armor slightly? or I think someone else mentioned adding a yellow die to something.

I like both of these. 

I have mocked up a sample chart to show the variable skill purchases based on Victory Points. Bonuses and values are just placeholders. Also, would ALL heroes get bonuses, or would it cost 1 VP per hero?

Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die)

Overlord 3 VP | Heroes 1 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense)

Overlord 2 VP | Heroes 2 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 1 VP | Heroes 3 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

3 hours ago, Ken said:

I like both of these. 

I have mocked up a sample chart to show the variable skill purchases based on Victory Points. Bonuses and values are just placeholders. Also, would ALL heroes get bonuses, or would it cost 1 VP per hero?

Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die)

Overlord 3 VP | Heroes 1 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense)

Overlord 2 VP | Heroes 2 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 1 VP | Heroes 3 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

@Grizzlyface, sounds good that way. You do you, just avoid the dream sequence and make it optional. A King Conan scenario being all King Conan sounds great. 

@Neil Amswych, that's right - just have the basics done and ready for play-testers to come in and try it out and see what tweaks we need. 

@Ken and @drmauric, I like the spellbook thing. works for me. Ken, as for the Outer Dark Demon being an evolved version, that sounds cool to me. I'll have the regular old Dark Demon on mine, or maybe I will use the Outer Dark on mine. I'll see what functions better in the river. 

Ken, does your example above keep in mind that both sides get one level up regardless of victory, and these are above and beyond that? I think even if one side gets wiped every scenario, we still need to keep them above water somewhat, so they should get something. I'm a little confused by your wording in this chart:

Here you mean they get =1 yellow die to their attacks, right? "Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die)"

And when you say +1 defense are you saying their orange dice becomes a red? So like, they use red for defense? That's what I was suggesting. if you look at the Hero sheets we're using, it's not that crazy to enhance an attack roll or a defense roll, or add a re roll symbol (especially since Shentu and Inkemet already have the symbol, which is why I allowed them to choose that OR  add a free movement). Certainly this ups their capabilities, but we just have to up the overlord to go with it. So yes, upping the armor value of all overlord tiles would be an easy way to do it, so would adding a yellow attack dice to each of their attack. Maybe we could even add a yellow re-rollable die to their attacks if they have more VPs? I just think everyone should get some kind of level up, but the better they do, the better their bonuses. You have that in your chart to an extent, but "Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)" would mean the Overlord gets nothing, which would be crushing for them. Am I reading this right? I like your chart idea, but I may be missing something. And yes, I am imagining that each Hero gets a level up going into the last encounter. For Conan maybe we can just give him a bonus to start or something. 

I'm flexible with all of this; those are just my thoughts. let me know if I was reading that right. I just want to add that I think we've got something pretty special in the works here ;)

20 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Ken, does your example above keep in mind that both sides get one level up regardless of victory, and these are above and beyond that? I think even if one side gets wiped every scenario, we still need to keep them above water somewhat, so they should get something. I'm a little confused by your wording in this chart:

@Matt John S I was trying to create a chart interpretation of your VP suggestion but with placeholder values. You are correct, though, that I didn't include level ups for losing. Rereading your original suggestion, I realize that I was making it more complicated with my chart.

Is this what you originally had in mind?

Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X or Y)

Overlord 3 VP | Heroes 1 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X or Y)

Overlord 2 VP | Heroes 2 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X and Y)

Overlord 1 VP | Heroes 3 (Overlord get A or B | Heroes get X and Y)

Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Overlord get A or B | Heroes get X and Y)

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

@Matt John S I was trying to create a chart interpretation of your VP suggestion but with placeholder values. You are correct, though, that I didn't include level ups for losing. Rereading your original suggestion, I realize that I was making it more complicated with my chart.

Is this what you originally had in mind?

Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X or Y)

Overlord 3 VP | Heroes 1 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X or Y)

Overlord 2 VP | Heroes 2 (Overlord get A and B | Heroes get X and Y)

Overlord 1 VP | Heroes 3 (Overlord get A or B | Heroes get X and Y)

Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Overlord get A or B | Heroes get X and Y)

Yes, Ken, I believe that's it. I'm on the move at the moment, but at a glance, that's exactly what I'm thinking. How does that sound? 

Just got back here to catch up - looks like the progression/campaign mechanics are well in hand; I will offer any input I can but frankly you guys are more experienced with this kind of thing.

Working on the scenario - going to throw an Outer Dark Demon in there, it will be how the Idol is transported to Thoth if the Overlord wins.

• Like 1

@Neil Amswych @Primeval 

This pdf that, I posted a while back, has been helpful in determining what is in the Retail Box, which the author of the pdf refers to as Core. He even lists out the spells.

Keep in mind, the focus is on the Retail Box. (refer back to posts fron Jan 11 and 12) Any thing from the King pledge will need to be printed or proxied by a player and we've move away from that idea.

Also keep in mind you can choose whatever weapons and spells you would like, don't feel obligated to use your predecessor's. We don't want anyone bound or limited by the previous scenario. It's not hard to imagine a Sorcerer having the exact spell he needs, when he needs it. Or a warrior grabbing a more suitable weapon for the task at hand.

Oh, and in case you missed it, go back a few posts and read up on the Spell Book carry over item for Hadrathus, you'll need that for playtesting. (or not if you choose, but at least be aware of it. ;)  )

Conan from Monolith content.pdf

Edited by drmauric
details. and spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

@Matt John S Just checking the pictured stuff is what you’d prefer us to use? Other than stuff in Nordheim, Stygia and Khitai boxes?

6 hours ago, Primeval said:

Is that Blood for the Blood God I see?

Neil, this is just what comes in the retail  core game. So use anything pictured here plus anything from the expansions 

Kevin, I do believe it is. Great product. 

• Like 2

@Neil Amswych @Primeval @drmauric

Hey fellas, I'm looking to start testing my scenario tomorrow night. In short, it's a dream/lotus/extra planer sequence that involves Thoth trying to capture Atali. He believes her magic will still have some dim effect on the King and plans on using her to distract or bewlider him. If the Overlord wins, Thoth will get some kind of boost or Bonus (maybe even the weight of the years spell from Nordheim or a one time use of Atali's tile). Perhaps it will factor into the final sceanrio B in Aquilonia. Actually that might be perfect (I'm thinking as I'm I'm typing) if Thoth wins the Nordheim scenario, it means you play final sceanrio B and we write her into that scenario. She lures Conan from his palace, away from Zenobia even...i think rather than it depending on victory points, since they decide your level up, we have the result of this second last scenario decide which final scenario you play. Sound good? ...ill think about that and have a conversation with @Ken. Anyways...

The point of this post is to ask that you guys writing scenarios before Nordheim to let me know of any progression elements I should be using. One is Dan's spellbook idea for Hadrathus. Are there other items and can you give me a rough idea of what they Do? I'll fit them in.

23 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

@Neil Amswych @Primeval @drmauric

Hey fellas, I'm looking to start testing my scenario tomorrow night. In short, it's a dream/lotus/extra planer sequence that involves Thoth trying to capture Atali. He believes her magic will still have some dim effect on the King and plans on using her to distract or bewlider him. If the Overlord wins, Thoth will get some kind of boost or Bonus (maybe even the weight of the years spell from Nordheim or a one time use of Atali's tile). Perhaps it will factor into the final sceanrio B in Aquilonia. Actually that might be perfect (I'm thinking as I'm I'm typing) if Thoth wins the Nordheim scenario, it means you play final sceanrio B and we write her into that scenario. She lures Conan from his palace, away from Zenobia even...i think rather than it depending on victory points, since they decide your level up, we have the result of this second last scenario decide which final scenario you play. Sound good? ...ill think about that and have a conversation with @Ken. Anyways...

The point of this post is to ask that you guys writing scenarios before Nordheim to let me know of any progression elements I should be using. One is Dan's spellbook idea for Hadrathus. Are there other items and can you give me a rough idea of what they Do? I'll fit them in.

From mine, right before yours, nothing really special will carry into yours - the idol will effect the final battle, unless you want there to be some kind of parting bonus Yogah gives for your scenario if the heroes win. the fragments of the idol will be also there if the heroes win, which can harm the Dark Demon - i was thinking they would be forged into the heroe's existing weapons somehow, or added into hilts, something that could take place while your scenario is going on, unless you are using the Dark Demon, then perhaps the shards are usable in yours. if so you can feel free to figure out how they work  in terms of narrative and the harming the demon.

@Primeval

@Matt John S @Neil Amswych @Ken

Here is how I am wording the Spellbook Rules in my scenario

Spellbook: Place 3 Red gems on the Spell Book card. Hadrathus may use these gems to cast spells by moving red gems to a spell card. Gems used in this way must not raise the total number of gems on the spell card above its exersion limit. He may combine these gems with his blue gems. During the Start Phase and End Phase of each Hero's Turn move the red gems back to the Spellbook card.  Red gems are never counted when calculating Hadrathus' life points.

In mine only Hadrathus can use it.

The wording is similar to Pelias' Ring in The Zamboula Stangler scenario. and similar to Zaporavo's Cape in The Price of Success scenario. Both are official Monolith scenarios.

Edited by drmauric
spelling
  • Like 1