Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

46 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Yup. That works for me. And are still going to add in the potential bonus gems? Those can be easily implemented at the end of each scenario in a brief description. Doesn't matter to me, but I think the little progression elements are fun. So what is the plan for the Dark Demon? Are we going anything special with him? He's just kind of present in mine

I like the bonus gem idea.  I just haven't fully developed my thoughts on it yet. Stay tuned. :)

I am using the Evil Hound (from Khitai) as a scaled down Dark Demon. He  can not be hurt in mine. He is removed under certain circumstances. But really nothing other than that. I kind of like the idea of him growing in power but that effects you guys not me. :)

24 minutes ago, drmauric said:

I am using the Evil Hound (from Khitai) as a scaled down Dark Demon. He  can not be hurt in mine. He is removed under certain circumstances. But really nothing other than that. I kind of like the idea of him growing in power but that effects you guys not me. :)

By the time he gets to the streets of Khemi, Thoth has transformed him into a flying demon to spy on Shuan Mian (?) as he pulls into port. Because those eastern sorcerers just can't be trusted, you know. And just in case Shuan Mian plans betrayal, Thoth gave the demon a magical artifact that will penetrate magical defenses. Oh yeah, and orders to grab the amulet shard from Shuan Mian if it sees the chance. 

(Of course, those betrayals are put on hold once the heroes show up, but I wanted back story for why the units are located where they are. )

I might keep him as the dark demon for the ruined fortress version, though.

52 minutes ago, Ken said:

By the time he gets to the streets of Khemi, Thoth has transformed him into a flying demon to spy on Shuan Mian (?) as he pulls into port. Because those eastern sorcerers just can't be trusted, you know

You picked up on a point I failed to mention. The Evil Hound (Dark Demon) is Thoth Amon's minion, not Shaung Mian's in my scenario. And if the Heroes win the opening scenario, Shaung will already have failed Thoth Amon once...

So, yeah, this sounds cool to me as far as the story. It fits with what I started with.

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

Bonus Gem Idea
Winner gets 2
Loser gets 1

Overlord uses Blue Gems and places them in his Reserve Zone at the start of the game.
Heroes use Red Gems and place them on the table near the Hero area. These are a commom pool that any Hero can draw from at any time. These gems do not count when determining the Heroes' Life Points.

All bonus gems are one time use and used gems are discarded during the End Phase.

If there are any unused Bonus Gems at the end of a scenario each side may carry 1 over to the next scenario.

An idea like this will ensure that each writer only has to contend with a limited number of Bonus Gems, in this example 3 max, because only 1 will carry over but it still gives the side that is winning a little bit of an edge, so it shouldn't knock things out of wack too bad or require extra tangential play testing.

I realize it's only a net gain of 1 for the Winner but it presents the option of saving 1 for carry over. So there's a tiny bit of strategic thinking I guess. Maybe 3 for the winner is better...

We probably will see the usefullness (or uselessness) of something like this more clearly once we can play through the whole Campaign.

Thoughts?

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drmauric said:

Bonus Gem Idea
Winner gets 2
Loser gets 1

Overlord uses Blue Gems and places them in his Reserve Zone at the start of the game.
Heroes use Red Gems and place them on the table near the Hero area. These are a commom pool that any Hero can draw from at any time. These gems do not count when determining the Heroes' Life Points.

All bonus gems are one time use and used gems are discarded during the End Phase.

If there are any unused Bonus Gems at the end of a scenario each side may carry 1 over to the next scenario.

An idea like this will ensure that each writer only has to contend limited number of Bonus Gems, in this example 3 max, because only 1 will carry over but it still gives the side that is winning a little bit of an edge, so it shouldn't knock things out of wack too bad or require extra tangential play testing.

I realize it's only a net gain of 1 for the Winner but it presents the option of saving 1 for carry over. So there's a tiny bit of strategic thinking I guess. Maybe 3 for the winner is better...

We probably will see the usefullness (or uselessness) of something like this more clearly once we can play through the whole Campaign.

Thoughts?

Here I go with another attempt at a confusing chart. Does this look right? If so, I like the idea.

Scenario 1: 0 gems

Scenario 2: Winner 2 gems | Loser 1 gem

Scenario 3: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

Scenario 4: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

Scenario 5: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Here I go with another attempt at a confusing chart. Does this look right? If so, I like the idea.

Scenario 1: 0 gems

Scenario 2: Winner 2 gems | Loser 1 gem

Scenario 3: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

Scenario 4: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

Scenario 5: Winner 2 gems (3 gems if 1 is carried over) | Loser 1 gem (2 gems if 1 is carried over)

Yup. That looks right to me.

7 hours ago, drmauric said:

Bonus Gem Idea
Winner gets 2
Loser gets 1

An idea like this will ensure that each writer only has to contend limited number of Bonus Gems, in this example 3 max, because only 1 will carry over but it still gives the side that is winning a little bit of an edge, so it shouldn't knock things out of wack too bad or require extra tangential play testing.

Thoughts?

This is so close to how it works in the campaign in the Modiphius book I wrote that it's kind of scary. So yes, I think it works ;) in mine the loser didn't get squat, though. As far as I remember...

17 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

This is so close to how it works in the campaign in the Modiphius book I wrote that it's kind of scary. So yes, I think it works ;) in mine the loser didn't get squat, though. As far as I remember...

@Matt John S

That is very strange indeed.

We can go with Loser gets nothing. I think the main thing is to not let a side that gets lucky a couple times in a row run away with it.

If we do a "Thank You" section in this, we need to include the guy who does the scenario editor site - not only was it already invaluable to us, but he added some things we asked about during this project! For example, after I asked, he just added the re-rollable dice symbols to be used in special rules and event descriptions.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 4

I am running into a gem shortage. Adding another hero (Yogah of Yag) requires 12 additional blue gems and 1 additional red gem. Since the game only comes with 50, that is not enough for the standard heroes (who use 41). To get around this, I plan to invert Yogah's gems, using red gems for energy and a blue gem to track stance. This still leaves me with 6 red gems for the overlord, and 5 blue gems unused. To compensate for this gem shortage, I am considering using those five blue gems as "double gems" for the Overlord. I'm just not sure how to implement the bonus gem idea for the Overlord if I am using those blue gems in this manner, however.  I am trying to avoid using proxies. Thoughts?

Blue Red
Conan 11 1
Shentu 10 1
Ikhmet 10 1
Hadrathus 10 1
Spellbook   3
Bonus Gems (Hero) 3  
Yogah of Yag 1 12
Overlord   6
Total Used 45 25
Total in Box 50 25

4 hours ago, Primeval said:

Just read the opening, love the use of whispers in Stygia; I try to throw some REH words/phrases in all of mine!

It was a little more Tolkien, "dark powers rising in the South", until we started talking about titles and I had recently re-read The Phoneix on the Sword.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I am running into a gem shortage. Adding another hero (Yogah of Yag) requires 12 additional blue gems and 1 additional red gem. Since the game only comes with 50, that is not enough for the standard heroes (who use 41). To get around this, I plan to invert Yogah's gems, using red gems for energy and a blue gem to track stance. This still leaves me with 6 red gems for the overlord, and 5 blue gems unused. To compensate for this gem shortage, I am considering using those five blue gems as "double gems" for the Overlord. I'm just not sure how to implement the bonus gem idea for the Overlord if I am using those blue gems in this manner, however.  I am trying to avoid using proxies. Thoughts?

Blue Red
Conan 11 1
Shentu 10 1
Ikhmet 10 1
Hadrathus 10 1
Spellbook   3
Bonus Gems (Hero) 3  
Yogah of Yag 1 12
Overlord   6
Total Used 45 25
Total in Box 50 25

The number 1-13 tokens may be a viable option for Yogah to use instead of gems. 1 face up, 12 face down.

Greetings all, I'll get back to you guys with more specifics later, but for now I'll just say that we could ask people to use other tokens for bonus gems. Perhaps one of the card board bits from the box as Dan suggested. 

As for distribution. We'll just post it up on the Overlord when finished, but I'll promote it through the official channels on Facebook and KS updates if possible, during Batman. I'd love to get in one of the compendiums if possible but as of now there are set plans for those. I'll see if I can alter them. 

My scenario has been played twice and is close to where it needs to be but I have to make a few changes and test some more. And more. And more. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:07 PM, drmauric said:

Alright Fellas, here's the opener. Let me know what you think.

(Now I can look at Ken's and Primeval's.)

The Time For Flight Is Nigh.pdf

Interesting. I'm hoping to work on mine tonight. I had already called it Fight or Flight. That works perfectly with the name of yours. Nice synchronicity.

• Like 1

Okay, I don't know what to do. I just spent over 90 minutes preparing my scenario and it didn't save and now I've lost it. I'm slowly putting it back together again but it seems that there's a glitch so that it doesn't always allow the option of saving. Anyway, I'll try to flesh it out again.

Edited by Neil Amswych
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Okay, I don't know what to do. I just spent over 90 minutes preparing my scenario and it didn't save and now I've lost it. I'm slowly putting it back together again but it seems that there's a glitch so that it doesn't always allow the option of saving. Anyway, I'll try to flesh it out again.

Man, that sucks. I know how it feels. I've been burned in the past (not with the scenario editor) and now I am in the habit of saving after every few changes. I even occasionally download my WIP PDF so I have a local backup.

• Like 2