Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

@Ken@drmauric@Neil Amswych @Primeval

So, I believe I'm done my scenario. We tested it 3 times and in each case it came down to one or two moves/rolls to decide victory. But, of course, I'd like outside eyes on it. I'll type it all up when the editor is back online. I believe it is Kevin's scenario that preceeds mine? I'd like to write in some end game conditions that give Thoth an item that increases his movement skill by one (if the overlord wins). It'd be a little bonus he could use going forward and a piece of progression ( I know Thoth isn't in yours but he's in mine and Ken's two, I believe). I'd also like to give the Heroes a little something too. For mine throwing daggers or something might be nice (are you using those yet, Ken?). 

3 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

So, I believe I'm done my scenario. We tested it 3 times and in each case it came down to one or two moves/rolls to decide victory. But, of course, I'd like outside eyes on it. I'll type it all up when the editor is back online. I believe it is Kevin's scenario that preceeds mine? I'd like to write in some end game conditions that give Thoth an item that increases his movement skill by one (if the overlord wins). It'd be a little bonus he could use going forward and a piece of progression ( I know Thoth isn't in yours but he's in mine and Ken's two, I believe). I'd also like to give the Heroes a little something too. For mine throwing daggers or something might be nice (are you using those yet, Ken?). 

@Matt John S

I think I am using the throwing daggers in The Trap, but I am still tweaking the scenario and don't know if they will make the final cut (or with which hero).

I like where you are going with the item for Thoth. Thoth's movement is vital for the Overlord winning the Streets of Khemi scenario, and I am currently working on slowing his movement down. In which case, the item would be an awesome reward for a previous victory. (No worries, it still will not  be enough to compensate for the tweaks I will be making so it won't break anything.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt John S said:

@Ken@drmauric@Neil Amswych @Primeval

Yes mine precedes yours - while it does set up the ending, it also is kind of a clean break from the first "half" as the heroes will be slightly changed going forward (as Yogah will be gone one way or the other). Maybe if the Overlord wins mine and Thoth gets the idol, in addition to it offering control of Yogah it also grants access to some ancient grammarye (been waiting to use that word after reading it in David C. Smith's "The Sorceror's Shadow" :) ), maybe a spell or ability that gives him the movement due to having the aid of mystical wings like Yogah had at one time. 

• Like 1

@Matt John S @Ken @Neil Amswych @Primeval @Footballzs

My scenario is also ready for a fresh set of eyes. I've played it through 5 times with similar results.  I would ask that special attention be paid to my rules for Crowded Stairs. I want to make sure those are clear. Thanks.

I may change some wording in the Intro text, flavor text and special rules titles, but nothing that would alter the story or actual rules.

The Time For Flight Is Nigh.pdf

• Like 2

Here is scenario number 2 for public testing: Fight or Flight.

https://www.conan-scenarios.com/scenarioPage.php?MissionId=1090

It's a hard scenario if the heroes go for the Medallion (and especially if the OL uses a Crossbowman to activate the pirates). I actually haven't run it without them going for the Medallion but I think it would definitely be easier if they just hunt for the merchant and flee.

Some of the colours are slightly off - my apologies. The red Crossbowmen on the board are blue/purple on the river. I'll change that once the editor is totally fixed.

To help me with testing this scenario, please let me know

a) If the heroes went for the medallion

b) Who won and how? (Did the Overlord kill the merchant, did the heroes escape? etc)
c) What was the health of the heroes at the end of the scenario.

d) Should Hadrathus have an attacking spell as well, such as Bori's Rage? I have a feeling that would make it too easy for the heroes but in this scenario it's not amazing fun being Hadrathus just buffing everyone.

Thanks

@Matt John S can we post our adventures on the FB page to get other people to playtest them?

Fight or Flight 5.0.pdf

Edited by Neil Amswych

4 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

It's a hard scenario if the heroes go for the Medallion (and especially if the OL uses a Crossbowman to activate the pirates). I actually haven't run it without them going for the Medallion but I think it would definitely be easier if they just hunt for the merchant and flee.

Some of the colours are slightly off - my apologies. The red Crossbowmen on the board are blue/purple on the river. I'll change that once the editor is totally fixed.

b) Who won and how? (Did the Overlord kill the merchant, did the heroes escape? etc)

d) Should Hadrathus have an attacking spell as well, such as Bori's Rage? I have a feeling that would make it too easy for the heroes but in this scenario it's not amazing fun being Hadrathus just buffing everyone.

Thanks

@Matt John S can we post our adventures on the FB page to get other people to playtest them?

Fight or Flight 5.0.pdf

Totally, I can make a post about it and link these comments. It might get more traffic if I post it. I can include links to all of these in the post. I'll just add mine later once it's done. Cool? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

Thanks

Fight or Flight 5.0.pdf

Totally, I can make a post about it and link these comments. It might get more traffic if I post it. I can include links to all of these in the post. I'll just add mine later once it's done. Cool? 

Looks like things are moving along! I am going to run The Trap through a few more tests tonight. Once I am confident it is halfway decent, I will switch gears and revisit The Streets of Khemi, which still needs to be updated with the campaign specific items (atali's possible presence, victory gems, Haddy's spellbook, etc.).

What is our time frame looking like at this point?

I started working on what I hope will be a great Optional Sidequest. I'm planning on using the one retail component we haven't worked in yet, the Kushite Witch Hunters. (also the Village map, Hyenas and Belit's Guards) And it will involve potentially losing Hadrathus' spell book for the remainder of the Campaign. It would go after Scenario 2.

My idea is that it can be used to add replay value to the entire campaign, maybe an optional extra challenge for Heroes that are having too easy of a time and of course putting those Witch Hunters to good use. I'll keep you posted.

10 minutes ago, Footballzs said:

@Ken. I have been testing the Trap and it is a tough one. I have gotten to the stage where Yogah is down to a couple of gems left and I am too scared to activate the event tile in case I kill him. Was this part of your thinking when creating the scenario?

Wow, you must roll better than me! On yellow dice I roll blanks 95% of the time (which usually sucks except for this scenario). As a matter of fact, I have play-tested this about 10 times and he has only lost a total of 3 health. That being said, it makes sense that he would take more damage for average dice rollers. 

However, I want the self damage to be part of balancing the scenario (and it is important thematically) - especially since the overlord has the advantage (with Atali). I am actually considering restricting the event tile to 1 activation per Overlord turn to keep the end game being so overwhelmingly in favor of the overlord. This would have the side affect of cutting down on Yogah's self-damage and force the overlord to soften Conan up with crossbowmen/guardsmen reinforcements. Of course, I have to make sure this doesn't swing the non-Atali version too far in favor of the heroes.

FYI - I am also thinking about replacing the useless scorpions with assassins (the ones without reinforcement points) and re-positioning them so they aren't as easy to mow down in one turn. 

22 hours ago, Ken said:

Looks like things are moving along! I am going to run The Trap through a few more tests tonight. Once I am confident it is halfway decent, I will switch gears and revisit The Streets of Khemi, which still needs to be updated with the campaign specific items (atali's possible presence, victory gems, Haddy's spellbook, etc.).

What is our time frame looking like at this point?

Ken, whenever you're done. You're done. there is no rush, but let's keep our steady pace. I'm about to post in Conan Gaming Group that we're looking for testers. 

@Ken @Neil Amswych @Primeval, @drmauric

Can you guys post a link to your scenarios from the editor page? I want to put the links all in one post, not the pdfs, because when people access it I want it to be the latest version. Once I have those I'll do my post. I almost have mine written up too. I'll make a pinned post in Conan Gaming Group and bump it every once in a while. Also, Ken, what is your name in Conan Gaming Group? Are you in there? 

1 minute ago, Matt John S said:

@Ken @Neil Amswych @Primeval, @drmauric

Can you guys post a link to your scenarios from the editor page? I want to put the links all in one post, not the pdfs, because when people access it I want it to be the latest version. Once I have those I'll do my post. I almost have mine written up too. I'll make a pinned post in Conan Gaming Group and bump it every once in a while. Also, Ken, what is your name in Conan Gaming Group? Are you in there? 

Yes, I'm a member. Ken Meyri. 

By the way, I can't post a link to the The Trap on the editor page, because it doesn't currently accommodate 2 maps. I have to download 2 different scenarios and then edit the PDF files manually. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken said:

Wow, you must roll better than me! On yellow dice I roll blanks 95% of the time (which usually sucks except for this scenario). As a matter of fact, I have play-tested this about 10 times and he has only lost a total of 3 health. That being said, it makes sense that he would take more damage for average dice rollers. 

However, I want the self damage to be part of balancing the scenario (and it is important thematically) - especially since the overlord has the advantage (with Atali). I am actually considering restricting the event tile to 1 activation per Overlord turn to keep the end game being so overwhelmingly in favor of the overlord. This would have the side affect of cutting down on Yogah's self-damage and force the overlord to soften Conan up with crossbowmen/guardsmen reinforcements. Of course, I have to make sure this doesn't swing the non-Atali version too far in favor of the heroes.

FYI - I am also thinking about replacing the useless scorpions with assassins (the ones without reinforcement points) and re-positioning them so they aren't as easy to mow down in one turn. 

I rolled 2 double hits hits in a row with Yogah plus Conan has attacked a couple of times. Though Conan can't do much cause he has to defend so much. And I agree the scorpions are very weak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Footballzs said:

I rolled 2 double hits hits in a row with Yogah plus Conan has attacked a couple of times. Though Conan can't do much cause he has to defend so much. And I agree the scorpions are very weak.

@Ken have you thought about using the Giant Scorpian tile from the Original Kickstarter? They have 2 armour and cause a lot more damage. You may have to reduce the number of scorpions otherwise they could be devastating.

Edited by Footballzs
Corrected info.