Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

16 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

I have to ask a difficult question here.... does the community want this? I ask because apart from @Footballzs there aren't other playtesters coming forward. I know some people are excited about Batman but nonetheless wouldn't we by now expect more people to be demonstrating some kind of excitement about this campaign?

I guess the timing ended up being pretty bad, considering lots of people are currently receiving the Compendium and The Book of Set, as well as the Batman excitement. I actually have more scenarios than I can play in a year.

That being said, I am in this for the duration, and even if no one else but us and our respective gaming groups enjoy it, I will still count this project as a success.

• Like 1

I have play tested one so far but will get around to the others as soon as possible. I am having trouble finding time at the moment. My weekends are being taken up a lot at the moment. Having said that I am definitely looking forward to this.

As regards my original question. Should I place testing notes on here or elsewhere? This thread could get rather awkward to follow if everybody’s play testing comments are put here as well.

18 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

I have to ask a difficult question here.... does the community want this? I ask because apart from @Footballzs there aren't other playtesters coming forward. I know some people are excited about Batman but nonetheless wouldn't we by now expect more people to be demonstrating some kind of excitement about this campaign?

Hi there. I find this Community Generated Campaign really interesting. I thought about joining the team to write a scenario, but then I was somewhat afraid by the tremendous amount of work in order to create, not a catchy story per se, but a balanced and interesting game. So I was very glad that people braver than I answered to the call of @Matt John S.

I haven't proposed to be playtester, because I'm going to start the Campaign Devil of Iron, with my regular players (this very saturday). As a matter of fact, I don't play Conan as much as I wish. I haven't yet had the time to play @drmauric's thrilling scenario with the gals punching that giant, and it was, like, months ago. :$

So, I just wanted to stress that, even if the English-speaking forum may be quiet, it doesn't necessarily means that people don't care.

Edited by Not Quite Dead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, drmauric said:

@Footballzs

There is a Community Campaign Hub in the Homemade Unofficial Scenarios section under Advice, Ideas, Creation. I think comments would be best over there.

Thanks for helping us out!

https://the-overlord.net/index.php?/forum/15-advice-ideas-and-creation/

Not a problem. I’ll give my précis of the play tomorrow.

• Like 2

I updated scenario 5a - The Streets of Khemi to include our new campaign rules and a few other significant tweaks. I will try to playtest it this weekend, but if anyone wants to take a look I am uploading it here.

(Note: I am uploading this scenario because it also required PDF modification outside of the Scenario Editor).

5a - The Streets of Khemi.pdf

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, drmauric said:

@Footballzs

There is a Community Campaign Hub in the Homemade Unofficial Scenarios section under Advice, Ideas, Creation. I think comments would be best over there.

Thanks for helping us out!

https://the-overlord.net/index.php?/forum/15-advice-ideas-and-creation/

Excellent write up there to describe the campaign - nice work, and thanks @drmauric!

EDIT: I guess it was somewhere else, but wherever it was nice work :)  I even got one of my phrases from my scenario used in it! 

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken said:

I updated scenario 5a - The Streets of Khemi to include our new campaign rules and a few other significant tweaks. I will try to playtest it this weekend, but if anyone wants to take a look I am uploading it here.

@Ken

I may be overlooking something, but which Hero starts with Xuthal's Crown? (in The Streets of Khemi)

Just after a quick read through, things look great. I'm especially interested to see how that Sorceror's Stack plays out.  (And I really like Niord in Stygia and Atali with Kiss of Death)

Hoping to play through The Trap tonight. (only had time to set it up last night)

I really like the difference in Heroes, equipment and spells between the two. Each scenario is really going to be a unique conclusion to the campaign. This will really help with re-playability.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drmauric said:

@Ken

I may be overlooking something, but which Hero starts with Xuthal's Crown? (in The Streets of Khemi)

Good catch.

Originally, I had intended for the heroes to potentially receive either one or both of the Xuthal's Crowns in a previous scenario (perhaps as chest items) which carried through to the final battle. If they can't be worked into a previous scenario, then I will need to add them as chest items within the Streets of Khemi.

(Note: If we can work them into a previous scenario, then players can choose who starts with the crowns. In addition, I will need to figure out how to add them to The Trap.)

20 minutes ago, drmauric said:

I really like the difference in Heroes, equipment and spells between the two. Each scenario is really going to be a unique conclusion to the campaign. This will really help with re-playability.

Thanks. I hope so.

43 minutes ago, Ken said:

Good catch.

Originally, I had intended for the heroes to potentially receive either one or both of the Xuthal's Crowns in a previous scenario (perhaps as chest items) which carried through to the final battle. If they can't be worked into a previous scenario, then I will need to add them as chest items within the Streets of Khemi.

(Note: If we can work them into a previous scenario, then players can choose who starts with the crowns. In addition, I will need to figure out how to add them to The Trap.)

I could easily write one into mine at the tail end when Shaung Mian disappears. That would guarentee at least 1.

I wonder if one of the other guys could include the other one in a chest? And that one could be more optional maybe? Beneficial, but optional, providing the Heroes an opportunity to make a real choice maybe?

@Neil Amswych this might work in Fight or Flight to make going after those chests more attractive... maybe? Maybe in the building with the pirates, who have no idea how valuable their treasure is...

Edited by drmauric

In the Fate of Yag Kosha (@Primeval) I encountered an interesting thing. In order for the Heroes to win Hadrathus needed to drop his spell book to have enough movement points and gems to make it to the fire and thus win the scenario.

This got me thinking, especially if we add in the Xuthal Crowns, because those would need to be carried through out the entire campaign, maybe we ought to include rules for dropped items. Like if a Hero drops a carry over item, if they don't retrieve it before the end of the Scenario, they lose it. This wouldn't work for weapons because those change from scenario to scenario and a Hero will always have the gear they need. But for critical items like the crowns (if we go that route) and spell book maybe the Heroes ought not be allowed to be so reckless.
Thoughts?

11 hours ago, drmauric said:

This got me thinking, especially if we add in the Xuthal Crowns, because those would need to be carried through out the entire campaign, maybe we ought to include rules for dropped items. Like if a Hero drops a carry over item, if they don't retrieve it before the end of the Scenario, they lose it. This wouldn't work for weapons because those change from scenario to scenario and a Hero will always have the gear they need. But for critical items like the crowns (if we go that route) and spell book maybe the Heroes ought not be allowed to be so reckless.
Thoughts?

If the scenarios are consecutive, then they would need to carry them throughout the campaign. If that is the case, they should at least provide a benefit in those scenarios (for example, some form of spell protection). It might be too late to include something like that, though.

7 hours ago, Ken said:

If the scenarios are consecutive, then they would need to carry them throughout the campaign. If that is the case, they should at least provide a benefit in those scenarios (for example, some form of spell protection). It might be too late to include something like that, though.

I definitely don't want to complicate things at this point.

For my scenario I have the Stygian Artifact (the artifact represents a Pendant that is evidence of Thoth Amon's plot) in the very last room of the Tower and the Heroes need to grab it on the way out to win. I could easily substitute the Xuthal Crown with just some minor rewriting. And since it is the last thing before the exit there would be no need to give it a special benefit. (and no time to use it anyway, the Heroes are running for their lives!)

I guess I see the benefit that the Crowns provide in the final scenario as THE benefit that makes them worth carrying. Because that is a pretty big benefit in the Streets of Khemi.  So I guess I would make a case that no other benefit is necessary.

The Crowns only weigh 1, so they won't weigh anybody down too bad. Other than Hadrathus' Spellbook no one has specified any other carry over items and other than Conan in the either of the last scenarios  I think most of the Heroes have a little extra room to carry an item, if I'm remembering correctly.

All that to say is I can work one mine in if that is what is decided. And I think we can work in the other with out disrupting things too much.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drmauric said:

For my scenario I have the Stygian Artifact (the artifact represents a Pendant that is evidence of Thoth Amon's plot) in the very last room of the Tower and the Heroes need to grab it on the way out to win. I could easily substitute the Xuthal Crown with just some minor rewriting. And since it is the last thing before the exit there would be no need to give it a special benefit. (and no time to use it anyway, the Heroes are running for their lives!)

I guess I see the benefit that the Crowns provide in the final scenario as THE benefit that makes them worth carrying. Because that is a pretty big benefit in the Streets of Khemi.  So I guess I would make a case that no other benefit is necessary.

The Crowns only weigh 1, so they won't weigh anybody down too bad. Other than Hadrathus' Spellbook no one has specified any other carry over items and other than Conan in the either of the last scenarios  I think most of the Heroes have a little extra room to carry an item, if I'm remembering correctly.

All that to say is I can work one mine in if that is what is decided. And I think we can work in the other with out disrupting things too much.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. For both of my scenarios, I think I will have the crowns provide protection from mind control AND +1 armor against all spell attacks (including unblockable damage). The heroes can decide at the beginning of the scenario who gets the crown. This will front-load some meaningful choices, especially in The Trap, where Conan could use the help - but he is already struggling with weight. If he drops the crown, Yogah could pick it up and use it, which would then offer him the protections.

If these benefits break any of the scenarios, then I suggest we just have the heroes set the crowns aside until the final scenario. However, if everyone is OK including them, I think they should be allowed in any scenario, but if they are dropped then they are lost.

• Like 2

@Matt John S  When you get a chance, can you replace the PDF for The Trap with this one? I know you wanted to provide links to avoid this, but since that won't work, would you rather I create a new post under Draft Campaigns and then you can just direct the link there? That way, I can update it as needed without bugging you each time. 

By the way, we will also need to do this for The Streets of Khemi.

(And it might also be worthwhile to have all the scenarios hosted as their own post in Draft Scenarios on this site rather than linking to the scenario editor. Just a thought.)

5b - The Trap.pdf