Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

8 hours ago, drmauric said:

Hey Guys,

Any thoughts on the Xuthal Crowns that Ken and I mentioned back on March 22?

@Ken @Matt John S @Neil Amswych @Primeval 

I think that since this is a campaign and it can be assumed that the heroes are carrying gear that would sustain them on this journey, and which is not counting toward encumbrance, the Crowns can be included among those items and just carried over. Now, if they become items that are used during scenarios or provide a benefit in the scenario, then I think that changes to including them as equipment for the scenario.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, Neil Amswych said:

I have to ask a difficult question here.... does the community want this? I ask because apart from @Footballzs there aren't other playtesters coming forward. I know some people are excited about Batman but nonetheless wouldn't we by now expect more people to be demonstrating some kind of excitement about this campaign?

When this is done and we're happy with it, I'll push to have Monolith publish a Kickstarter update informing people that it's available with links. That will get their attention. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt John S said:

Another reason I think some are turning a blind eye to this campaign is that they are not down for playtesting. They may view this as work and are waiting for us to do the heavy lifting so they may enjoy a campaign. 

True. It might also be overwhelming with talk of progression without concrete rules. Maybe we will have more input once the scenarios are available along with the overview rules.

If need be, we can bundle the scenarios and rules into one big PDF (and get a fancy graphic for the cover) and call it finished by posting it on Facebook, BGG, and here. Then, when people start ripping it to shreds, we can thank them for being beta testers and make revisions. :)

(Is that wrong? You can tell I prefer playing the evil overlord, can't you?)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt John S said:

Another reason I think some are turning a blind eye to this campaign is that they are not down for playtesting. They may view this as work and are waiting for us to do the heavy lifting so they may enjoy a campaign. 

I have Conan with all expansions. I’ll gladly playtest anything you guys have.

• Like 4

To summarize the Xuthal Crowns conversation:

@Ken is using the Crowns in his final scenarios to give the Heroes some protection against Thoth Amon's sorcery.

Could these crowns be easily added into other scenarios?

I can easily add one into mine, so the Heroes will have at least one.

Could the other one be added in somewhere? In a side chest? In the asset deck for your scenario? Swapped out with a non essential item? The Heroes would be aware of its usefulness in the final scenario but may or may not decide to go after it?

Based on @Primeval's thoughts, there is no reason to over complicate things by requiring the crowns to be carried over in each sceanrio. We would just assume the Heroes carried them along with other out of game campaign related gear.

No need to come up with special rules or benefits for the Crowns, what Ken has in mind will be THE benefit and make them worth going after. Really kind of just need a chest to put them in.

Ken already mentioned that he could simply write them in his but could this be an opportunity to enhance our story by providing a substantial choice/sub-goal with in the overall campaign?

Hopefully I'm not coming across as pushy. I just don't want this conversation to get buried. :)

@Neil Amswych @Matt John S

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer here. Part of the attraction of my scenario is that it's not just hack-and-slash and find-the-guy but it's also smash-and-grab. If every scenario includes smash-and-grab then that rather takes away from Fight or Flight and it also flattens the variance between scenarios. More than that, though, I certainly can't add a second smash-and-grab into Fight or Flight - I don't think it would make sense and it would definitely unbalance it. Sorry, but I'm really not in favour of this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

No need to come up with special rules or benefits for the Crowns, what Ken has in mind will be THE benefit and make them worth going after. Really kind of just need a chest to put them in.

Actually, I think we should standardize the crown benefits as +1 armor against spells and protection from mind control

31 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

I'm going to be the Debbie Downer here. Part of the attraction of my scenario is that it's not just hack-and-slash and find-the-guy but it's also smash-and-grab. If every scenario includes smash-and-grab then that rather takes away from Fight or Flight and it also flattens the variance between scenarios. More than that, though, I certainly can't add a second smash-and-grab into Fight or Flight - I don't think it would make sense and it would definitely unbalance it. Sorry, but I'm really not in favour of this.

We wouldn't need it added to Fight or Flight necessarily.

I guess the questions are:

1. Does adding a Xuthal's Crown as a chest item that can be carried over between quests detract from Fight or Flight?

2. Does adding Xuthal's Crowns break any scenarios?

3. Does adding Xuthal's Crowns needlessly complicate the campaign?

If the answer to any of these questions is "Yes," then I suggest we drop them from the discussion.

Great point @Neil Amswych. Where I was looking to enhance, it may be having the opposite effect. Definitely don't want to do that. (See Ken's Question #3)

Perhaps there is a simpler solution. Maybe Ken and I could work them into ours in such a way that has no bearing on anyone else. If I introduce one Crown, (and it is treated as out of game baggage) then it's not so weird when it shows up in the Heroes' possession at the end of the campaign, or it won't require an explanation as to why the Heroes would be looking for another one during the Finale.

I still think that it would be valuable for everyone to consider Ken's questions.

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

Could the crowns work as a chest item in Fight or Flight? I guess they could. No-one ever goes for the chests guarded by the pirates because at the moment they've just got a sword and a shield in them. Could you change that for a crown? I guess so. It would slow down the heroes which might be interesting. It does mean three objectives in the scenario, though - grab the Medallion of Zhangpau, grab the crown and find the merchant.  If the Medallion is replaced with a crown, which is possible, it rather standardizes this scenario somewhat. I have realized that no-one else is using the Medallion, though, so it's rather a one-off use.

I won't get precious about this. I rather liked the way my scenario was shaping up, especially now I think I've got it balanced. I am just concerned that if every scenario forces players to open chests for a key item, it flattens the campaign somewhat in terms of game-play narratives.

On 2018-04-06 at 10:52 AM, drmauric said:

To summarize the Xuthal Crowns conversation:

@Ken is using the Crowns in his final scenarios to give the Heroes some protection against Thoth Amon's sorcery.

Could these crowns be easily added into other scenarios?

I can easily add one into mine, so the Heroes will have at least one.

Could the other one be added in somewhere? In a side chest? In the asset deck for your scenario? Swapped out with a non essential item? The Heroes would be aware of its usefulness in the final scenario but may or may not decide to go after it?

Based on @Primeval's thoughts, there is no reason to over complicate things by requiring the crowns to be carried over in each sceanrio. We would just assume the Heroes carried them along with other out of game campaign related gear.

Ken already mentioned that he could simply write them in his but could this be an opportunity to enhance our story by providing a substantial choice/sub-goal with in the overall campaign?

Hopefully I'm not coming across as pushy. I just don't want this conversation to get buried. :)

@Neil Amswych @Matt John S

We could fit the crown in mine without much fuss. The other thing to consider is this: players don't actually have to pick it up in a scenario. We could just write it in some end game conditions. "If the heroes win, they may add x to the starting equipment of one of their heroes in the subsequent scenario" or something...

Okay. After the umpteenth playtest of Fight or Flight, it needs an overhaul. I can put a crown in a chest IF it’s not essential for the heroes to have it in a later scenario. Helpful is fine, essential is a problem. To be clear, if they go for chests in my scenario, they will almost certainly lose.

Edited by Neil Amswych

After reading the last few posts, I don't think the crowns should be part of @Neil Amswych 's scenario; however it could be added into mine - perhaps Yara stored one away in his abandoned Vilayet outpost along with the Idol of Yag. I don't think it would change the feel of mine very much while it would with Fight or Flight. So maybe crowns in 4 scenarios? Or multiples in some?

No, don't worry - after 4 playtest games tonight, I've got a perfect way of getting them in, so long as it's not essential to have one in the final scenario. There are three chests in my scenario, one of which is unguarded. There's a 1/3 chance of them getting the Xuthal Crown from that chest (or a Dagger or some Leather Armor). The other two chests are in the same area, so they could split their forces and give it a try if the Xuthal Crown is what they're really want. It doesn't change the feel of the mission at all, in fact thanks to a fellow playtester and the relocation of a treasure chest (back to the original location from many tests ago!) it's rather added to it. Here's how...

In Fight or Flight the heroes now have four choices:

1) Run straight to find the merchant and flee for 1VP (Easy)

2) Rummage through the chests to find the Xuthal Crown before finding the merchant and fleeing for 1VP plus a crown (Normal)

3) Grab the Medallion of Zhangpau, find the merchant and flee for 2VPs (Difficult)

4) Grab the Medallion, rummage through the chests, find the merchant and flee for 2VPs plus a crown (Almost Impossible)

So, please ignore my original negative concern - I've reworked it in a way that it can add a lot to the adventure.

Here's the scenario now...
https://www.conan-scenarios.com/edit.php?MissionId=1090

It just ended with the biggest rumble I've ever seen, which was a crazy amount of fun. And yes, the heroes lost because they tried choice number 4.

Fight or Flight 8.0.pdf

Edited by Neil Amswych
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

No, don't worry - after 4 playtest games tonight, I've got a perfect way of getting them in, so long as it's not essential to have one in the final scenario. There are three chests in my scenario, one of which is unguarded. There's a 1/3 chance of them getting the Xuthal Crown from that chest (or a Dagger or some Leather Armor). The other two chests are in the same area, so they could split their forces and give it a try if the Xuthal Crown is what they're really want. It doesn't change the feel of the mission at all, in fact thanks to a fellow playtester and the relocation of a treasure chest (back to the original location from many tests ago!) it's rather added to it. Here's how...

In Fight or Flight the heroes now have four choices:

1) Run straight to find the merchant and flee for 1VP (Easy)

2) Rummage through the chests to find the Xuthal Crown before finding the merchant and fleeing for 1VP plus a crown (Normal)

3) Grab the Medallion of Zhangpau, find the merchant and flee for 2VPs (Difficult)

4) Grab the Medallion, rummage through the chests, find the merchant and flee for 2VPs plus a crown (Almost Impossible)

So, please ignore my original negative concern - I've reworked it in a way that it can add a lot to the adventure.

Here's the scenario now...
https://www.conan-scenarios.com/edit.php?MissionId=1090

It just ended with the biggest rumble I've ever seen, which was a crazy amount of fun. And yes, the heroes lost because they tried choice number 4.

Fight or Flight 8.0.pdf

This works out well! It is not essential to have the crowns, but the heroes will definitely want to try for them.