Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

@Neil Amswych @Primeval @Matt John S @Ken

Neil and I have been doing some behind the scenes work on his sceanrio, Fight or Flight?, and things are looking good. It has a variety of victory conditions and gives the Heroes some real choices.

The Xuthal's Crown has been worked in as a chest item. Not the main goal of the scenario but an important choice. (Thank you to those who were willing to try to work it in)

One of the things that came up is how to make the Medallion more attractive for the Heroes to go after. Because the Heores can bypass it and go for an easier win.

Neil had the idea of making the Medallion a carryover item that gives an armor reduction to the Dark Demon or the Outer Dark Demon if it is in the same area as the Medallion.

One cool thread Neil and I have noticed in our campaign is what I call "the evolution of the Dark Demon". It goes from the evil hound, to the dark demon to the outer dark demon. It is kind of the reoccurring, relentless villain, Thoth Amon's strong arm so to speak. I think we have all included one or the other. So I think when we go to write our narrative tie ins we have a cool thread kind of running in the background of this creature getting more and more powerful (or more annoying).

So I'd like to propose the inclusion of The Medallion of Zhangpau as a carryover item to reduce the Demon's armor. (exact word to be determined)

Thus far we have Hadrathus' Spellbook and the 2 Xuthal Crowns with their magic protections as carryover items. (I still have to rewrite my scenario to include the first one)

I don't believe any of these items (Spellbook, Crowns or Medallion) will break a sceanrio or knock one wildly out of balance. We don't really have any other carryover items. ( of the ones I've tested... ahem... Matt... ;) )

And I think this addition of the Medallion as a carryover will greatly enhance Fight or Flight and our overall campaign narrative.

What do you guys think?

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Primeval said:

I like this - perhaps I could go back to including shards, or probably just a shard, of the Idol of Yag Kosha as a carryover that confers some bonus in place of a Xuthal Crown, like the medallion.

Perhaps that shard item could impact Yogah in Ken's The Trap? Just a thought.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

My concern is that we could end up with crowns, medallions and shards and it could all start getting rather complicated.

Well, it's no more complicated than carrying over say a Life potion. If an item is kept low key but interesting, such as the ones that have been described, I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about over complicating things.

I am fine with whatever is decided - let me know if I need to add the shard back in. In mine the shard is created by destroying the idol, so it doesn't add any kind of actual gameplay, just would need to be written back into the scenario. Would it have the same benefit as the crown or do we want something different for the different items?

Edited by Primeval

Just to clarify, in mine it's actually quite hard for the heroes to get their hands on the Medallion and escape as well - it's much better for them just to flee and leave it behind. I could make a rule that says that if the heroes don't manage to escape but have the Medallion, they lose it for the next adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

@Ken @Neil Amswych @Matt John S @Primeval @Footballzs 

As promised here is my attempt at a summery of a few things that we still need to reach a consensus on.  I've included page numbers so you can go back and check out the conversation around these topic. These will also need to be included in the campaign rules when we finalize them.

#1 Bonus Gems

#2 Leveling up

#3 Carry Over items

#1Bonus Gem Idea- some of you had a positive response to this idea back on page 11
Winner gets 2
Loser gets 1

Overlord uses Blue Gems and places them in his Reserve Zone at the start of the game.
Heroes use Red Gems and place them on the table near the Hero area. These are a common pool that any Hero can draw from at any time. These gems do not count when determining the Heroes' Life Points. All bonus gems are one time use and used gems are discarded during the End Phase. If there are any unused Bonus Gems at the end of a scenario each side may carry 1 over to the next scenario.

#2 Leveling Up (page 10,12)

1. Victory Points only determine the level up. One time level up after scenario 4

2. Yogah Idol scenario determines the final battle.

Scenario 1 - The Time for Flight is Nigh

Scenario 2 - Fight or Flight

Scenario 3 - The Fate of Yag-Kosha

Scenario 4 - Dreams of Atali

Scenario 5a - The Streets of Khemi (if heroes win scenario 3)

Scenario 5b - The Trap (if Overlord wins scenario 3)

3. Nordheim scenario determines whether Thoth gets an Atali buff in the final scenarios.

Ken's suggestions for leveling up, page 9

Overlord 4 VP | Heroes 0 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die)

Overlord 3 VP | Heroes 1 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense)

Overlord 2 VP | Heroes 2 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor AND +1 yellow die | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 1 VP | Heroes 3 (Overlord tiles get +1 armor | Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

Overlord 0 VP | Heroes 4 (Heroes get +1 defense AND +1 Reroll)

#3 Carry Over Items

Hadrathus' Spellbook- scenario1

pr 17 Xuthal's Crowns 1 Crown in 1st scenario, 1 crown in 2nd scenario +1 Armor vs. Spell damage Immune to Mind Control 

pg 18 Medallion of Zhangpau -1 to Dark Demon or Outer Dark Demon armor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Matt John S @Primeval @Neil Amswych @Ken

I've been messing around with some intro text for the Campaign. A while back we tossed around the idea of naming the campaign "Whispers From Stygia" so I put this together based off of that. It's pretty generic and allows a lot of freedom for tying the individual scenario narratives together however we see fit. Let me know what you think! (as always it's open for tweaking as things develop and any ideas from you guys as well.)

"Know, O Prince, that in the time when Conan the Cimmerian sat upon the Throne of Aquilonia there arose whispers from Stygia. Whispers of a scheming sorcerer whose black heart was set upon vengeance. Heard first in the ruined temples of demented fanatics, then in the back allies of thieves quarters, where the malcontent and the grumblers welcomed the sinister winds of change that blew from the South.

The sorcerer was none other than Thoth Amon, High Priest of Set, a name once cautiously whispered, now spoken openly in the streets. His venomous influence quickly crept, undetected at first, into the courts of all the Hyborian Kingdoms. Promises of riches and power caused alliances to shift, loyalties to expire. If promises failed to convince, then lotus and assassins were employed as his grip tightened, like serpentine coils, across the lands.

Before long the machinations of the Mad Sorcerer threatened to topple entire kingdoms and plunge the world into a darker age. Thoth Amon's quest for power was great. But his vengeance knew no bounds. He would have Aquilonia and it's Barbarian King beneath his heel if the world had to burn for it to be accomplished.

But know also, O Prince, in that selfsame hour there were those who stood opposed to him..."

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

So... um... is this campaign moving forward? I feel like we’ve stalled somewhat.

@Neil Amswych Good lord, time flies! Your post is a good wake up call. I didn't realize how much time has passed.

Currently, my playtest table (i.e. dining room table) is set up with a Zombicide quest I am designing, but once I finalize it I will switch back to this Conan campaign.

I think the onus of the playtesting will be on us. So be it.

13 hours ago, Ken said:

@Neil Amswych Good lord, time flies! Your post is a good wake up call. I didn't realize how much time has passed.

Currently, my playtest table (i.e. dining room table) is set up with a Zombicide quest I am designing, but once I finalize it I will switch back to this Conan campaign.

I’m playtesting Fragments of Wisdom - a biblically based card game right now. It’s excellent. When the guys come round for the next Conan campaign game (the one with the sarcophagus that I absolutely must win) I’ll ask that our second game is a playtest of one of your scenarios.

13 hours ago, Ken said:

I’m playtesting Fragments of Wisdom - a biblically based card game right now. It’s excellent. When the guys come round for the next Conan campaign game (the one with the sarcophagus that I absolutely must win) I’ll ask that our second game is a playtest of one of your scenarios.