Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

3 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Stygian Assassins make much more sense here, as much as I know you want to use the Witch Hunters. It also helps point to the Stygia map for the next adventure.

Is that perhaps Dan's way of getting the Witch hunters in there as a sort of villainous party who will also get a bit of progression? Could be cool. That said, the Assassins could go in there too. @drmauric

2 minutes ago, drmauric said:

Excellent point. I do like the idea of the reoccurring Witch Hunters... maybe another time.

why not both. I LOVE the idea of the reoccuring Witch Hunters. Evil party for Toth Amon to control. Besides they are the coolest minis in the entire set and widely available :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

So as of now our available Heroes are: Amra Conan, Valeria, Hadrathus, Zelata, Yag Kosha, Inkmet, Niord, and Shentu. Other than Shentu and Inkmet (who are non canon) all the other Heroes mentioned (except Yag but we have a plan for him) are all alive as far as we know. Yes, this is limiting, but the Howard fans will appreciate it, I think. I'll try my best to guide you through any canon issues. Again, we don't need to go this route, but I think many will appreciate it. That's still a nice pool of Heroes to use.

Can we add any villains as heroes to this list? An idea is forming about Stygia (assuming Ken is rounding off nicely on Khitai) wherein a local villain is losing control of the town and so he needs the heroes to help him clear out a hidden temple while the heroes need to clear it out to help them in their campaign.

Edited by Neil Amswych

1 minute ago, Neil Amswych said:

Can we add any villains as heroes to this list? An idea is forming about Stygia (assuming Ken is rounding off nicely on Khitai) wherein a local villain is losing control of the town and so he needs the heroes to help him clear out a hidden temple while the heroes need to clear it out to help them in their campaign.

Thought I was doing Stygia.

1 minute ago, Neil Amswych said:

Which one did you want to use, Neil? The sorcerers are fairly similar stats wise, so we could probably provide a substitute Hero sheet if the players don't have the one you write in. 

4 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

why not both. I LOVE the idea of the reoccuring Witch Hunters. Evil party for Toth Amon to control. Besides they are the coolest minis in the entire set and widely available :) 

There could be a little horror element to this in which the Witch Hunters start really powerful and don’t need to progress so the heroes have to avoid them while completing their task, and then in the final battle the heroes have leveled up enough that they can face them in a glorious final boss battle. That would be a very common trop and would have scenarios be not just hack and slash. I’m thinking Neo near the end of the Matrix, Rey near the end of The Force Awakens when the heroes realize their power and can take on the big boss.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken said:

Thought I was doing Stygia.

I misunderstood a map name. So You’re doing final confrontation in Stygia?

Then why not do a start in Khitai tower with magical research (Dan). Then I could do an escape from the Witch Hunters through the Khitai streets to set them up as an ever-present threat. Then perhaps a core set map before journeying to

Nordheim for two adventures before conclusion in Stygia? That’s 6 or 7 adventures right there.

The only downside to the witch hunters is the number of tiles they take to field the entire team. If they are a recurring enemy, it is going to feel like the all witch hunter show. We should decide if we want to go this route, and then perhaps split them up. They could be an x-factor in each scenario (1 per scenario) and then all of the living ones could appear in the final battle. If we end up using my final battle idea, I would probably not put them in the river, but rather give the sorcerers the leadership ability and have them activate them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken said:

The only downside to the witch hunters is the number of tiles they take to field the entire team. If they are a recurring enemy, it is going to feel like the all witch hunter show. We should decide if we want to go this route, and then perhaps split them up. They could be an x-factor in each scenario (1 per scenario) and then all of the living ones could appear in the final battle. If we end up using my final battle idea, I would probably not put them in the river, but rather give the sorcerers the leadership ability and have them activate them. 

Totally agree. These are the carry-overs to the final mission, if we go that route. Still, thematically, I far prefer Stygian Assassins to turn up in mission 1 to point to the final

mission. There’s something about having black people being the repetitive big bad that just makes me slightly uncomfortable because they don’t really belong in these regions. Unless I’m missing something from the books, in which case tell me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

I misunderstood a map name. So You’re doing final confrontation in Stygia?

Gotcha. Yes.

4 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Then why not do a start in Khitai tower with magical research (Dan). Then I could do an escape from the Witch Hunters through the Khitai streets to set them up as an ever-present threat. Then perhaps a core set map before journeying to

Nordheim for two adventures before conclusion in Stygia? That’s 6 or 7 adventures right there.

I like the sound of this. Do we want to count scenario victories and have the final battle take place in Stygia (if the heroes win more) or somewhere in Aquilonia  (if the overlord wins more)? Citadel makes the most sense, but I assume that board is out.

43 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Which one did you want to use, Neil? The sorcerers are fairly similar stats wise, so we could probably provide a substitute Hero sheet if the players don't have the one you write in. 

Anyone from Zaporavo, Thak, Skuthus, Zogar Sag and that lot who have character sheets but who are villains. Worth knowing all possibilities (I haven’t finished reading the books but I know Zapo has already died so unfortunately probably not him!)

Edited by Neil Amswych

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

Great point. Noted. I can see how this could be limiting for other writers.

49 minutes ago, Ken said:

That is a good point. We could do away with them and just use them if people want in an individual scenario. 

42 minutes ago, Ken said:

Gotcha. Yes.

I like the sound of this. Do we want to count scenario victories and have the final battle take place in Stygia (if the heroes win more) or somewhere in Aquilonia  (if the overlord wins more)? Citadel makes the most sense, but I assume that board is out.

The citadel is a stretch goal, so I'd like to avoid it. What if we used the ruined fortress as a site in Aquilonia that got magically bombed. Among the smoking ruins the final battle is fought on home turf right in the Tarantia. The map just represents the ruin. I think if the Heroes won more scenarios or did better (however we decide to measure it) they take the fight to Khemi (Stygia) where Thoth Amon reigns. If the Overlord gains the edge though, he bombs Tarantia. How does that sound? 

36 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Anyone from Zaporavo, Thak, Skuthus, Zogar Sag and that lot who have character sheets but who are villains. Worth knowing all possibilities (I haven’t finished reading the books but I know Zapo has already died so unfortunately probably not him!)

All are dead except Skuthus who is only a vague mention in a draft of Hour of the Dragon. He'd be fine to use because one of the other sorcerer tiles would sub in for him easily. 

6 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

That is a good point. We could do away with them and just use them if people want in an individual scenario. 

The citadel is a stretch goal, so I'd like to avoid it. What if we used the ruined fortress as a site in Aquilonia that got magically bombed. Among the smoking ruins the final battle is fought on home turf right in the Tarantia. The map just represents the ruin. I think if the Heroes won more scenarios or did better (however we decide to measure it) they take the fight to Khemi (Stygia) where Thoth Amon reigns. If the Overlord gains the edge though, he bombs Tarantia. How does that sound? 

All are dead except Skuthus who is only a vague mention in a draft of Hour of the Dragon. He'd be fine to use because one of the other sorcerer tiles would sub in for him easily. 

@Matt John S what are your thoughts on permanent and varying heroes (mentioned above) so perhaps Conan and Hadrathus are the backbone of the campaign but then there’s flexibility in the other heroes? (That would allow one Skuthus hero adventure with a super twist I’m currently working out)

9 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

I like it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

@Matt John S what are your thoughts on permanent and varying heroes (mentioned above) so perhaps Conan and Hadrathus are the backbone of the campaign but then there’s flexibility in the other heroes? (That would allow one Skuthus hero adventure with a super twist I’m currently working out)

Neil, you mean can we swap Heroes or out from scenario to the next? I think, yes. You as the writer choose which Heroes you want in the scenario, just stick to the pool we've decided on (or provide a substitute) and try and have a narrative reason for them being there. I'd like to see Conan only show up in a few just to keep things new and less Conan focused (needs to be in the last scenario, I think). Hadrathus may be good to have in most as well just to stick to our story through line, but I say go where the idea takes. 

31 minutes ago, Matt John S said:

Neil, you mean can we swap Heroes or out from scenario to the next? I think, yes. You as the writer choose which Heroes you want in the scenario, just stick to the pool we've decided on (or provide a substitute) and try and have a narrative reason for them being there. I'd like to see Conan only show up in a few just to keep things new and less Conan focused (needs to be in the last scenario, I think). Hadrathus may be good to have in most as well just to stick to our story through line, but I say go where the idea takes. 

I like the idea of a Hadrathus storyline. He could be the one permanent character in all adventures with the others being flexible.

• Like 1