Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

5 hours ago, Primeval said:

What heroes do you plan to use Dan? Depending on what you do with the first one I may pitch mine as the second.  Yogah figures in mine but could either be in it or simply a reason for it (that'll make more sense later I hope!).

I was going to pitch mine as second - escape from Khitai trying to find the merchant who knows the way to Conan, while avoiding the Dark Demon. I’ll fight ya!

24 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

I was going to pitch mine as second - escape from Khitai trying to find the merchant who knows the way to Conan, while avoiding the Dark Demon. I’ll fight ya!

That is fine and sounds appropriate for the framework,  mine could really go anywhere given that Yogah is going to be there from the start.  I will simply pitch it and it can be put wherever it seems best, if at all.

• Like 1

I will be working the whole weekend so am going to throw my pitch in here now.

My original idea was that the scenario started with Hadrathus having just summoned up Yogah, and along with Conan and a Taurus impostor (in name but skilled the same) who has led them to the location they are at (fortress). Hadrathus would start a little lower with gems having just spent major energy on the ritual to summon Yogah. The goal is to find and destroy an idol in the likeness of Yogah that was made by Yara and stashed here - used in the proper foul ritual it can be used to compel Yogah to obey; kind of a failsafe that Yara had when he lived and held Yogah in thrall. Success for the heroes means the idol is recovered and destroyed, Yogah aids them of his own free will in gratitude for Conan's past aid, and for hatred of those like Yara. Failure means that Thoth has the idol and will force Yogah to fight for him in the final battle. An unforeseen effect of this will be in the favor of the heroes - Conan seeing Yogah enslaved again will go into a battle rage (recalling his reaction of shame and guilt when he  (not sure how that will translate into game bonus exactly, open to discussion or for the writer of the final scenario to work out). The stygian assassins are also involved - they will be an event that the overlord can use, or they simply pop into the scenario when the idol is found, their job is to steal it and take it back to Thoth, after the heroes are led there and do the hard work to get it. If they overcome the heroes, they are simply laid low via poison, and they recover from it to carry on.

Given the recent ideas, the scenario might be need to either be reworked with different heroes, or perhaps its an optional one, but the results of it seem pretty major. I can certainly change the heroes, but wanted this to feel like a return to the tower of the elephant.

Let me know if this should be a side quest or reworled for the main storyline and I will do so.

Funnily enough, I just came online to say that Sunday is going to be tricky for me because I'll be with the kids, so I was wondering if I could post my pitch early. But since someone else has, I think I will, too!

ESCAPE FROM KHITAI (Khitai Streets Map)

Hadrathus, Yogah, Shentu and Ikhmet are fleeing from the tower where Hadrathus accidentally summoned a powerful Dark Demon protecting Thoth Amon, whose evil plans Hadrathus had worked out with Ikhmet’s help.

Now they flee through the streets of Khitai, quickly looking for a merchant who might know the location of Conan himself. The heroes know that if they can also raid the Shrine of Shanloc on the outskirts of the town, they might be able to take some ingredients that will allow them to magically defeat the Dark Demon, but they also know the shrine is well guarded.

The heroes win 1VP if they obtain the two items from the Shrine of Shanloc and/or 1VP if they escape with the merchant. They may also use Conan in the final battle if they escape with the merchant.

The Overlord wins 1VP if they stop the heroes from raiding the Shrine and/or 1VP if they kill the merchant identified by the heroes.

Heroes: Hadrathus, Yogah, Shentu, Ikhmet

Tiles: (not in order) Dark Demon (does not start in river), Regular Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Elite Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Javelin Throwers (guarding shrine), Crows (in town), Special Tile 1, Special Tile 2

Special Tile 1 allows for normal unit reinforcements, Special Tile 2 allows Dark Demon to appear

My hope with this scenario is that is gives a difficult choice for the heroes because there's more than one objective. If they split up too much they might fail at both, but if they stay together they might only succeed at one.

This scenario really clashes with Primeval's because of Conan's presence. I do like the idea of the statue that can be used to control Yogah, and wonder if it can be used in my scenario instead in the Shrine of Shanloc (basically, the shrine in the corner of the Khitai streets map) - that is, they recover the statue instead of two other items. Knowing they want to get Yogah on their side in the final battle makes it all the more important for them to recover it. @Primeval, would you be okay merging the two scenarios like this? I really like the idea, although I appreciate the added complexity, of the final scenario having Conan's presence variable and having Yogah as a hero or a tile as variable too.

Edited by Neil Amswych

Whatever is best for the campaign is fine with me. But there are a couple of narrative questions that spring to mind here:

Why is Conan in Khitai? At the point this campaign takes place he is King of Aquilonia, correct? Not that it couldn't happen, but it needs clarifying unless I missed something (with my old man brain that is distinctly possible).

The idol as I have it was designed by Yara, why would it be in Khitai? I know there would certainly be such things there, since Yogah spent much time there, but it seems that such a thing should be closer to Yara's tower where he held Yogah.

If these narrative issues make sense then I am all for whatever works best for the campaign.

3 minutes ago, Primeval said:

Whatever is best for the campaign is fine with me. But there are a couple of narrative questions that spring to mind here:

Why is Conan in Khitai? At the point this campaign takes place he is King of Aquilonia, correct? Not that it couldn't happen, but it needs clarifying unless I missed something (with my old man brain that is distinctly possible).

The idol as I have it was designed by Yara, why would it be in Khitai? I know there would certainly be such things there, since Yogah spent much time there, but it seems that such a thing should be closer to Yara's tower where he held Yogah.

If these narrative issues make sense then I am all for whatever works best for the campaign.

I would agree - Conan isn't in Khitai. These are long-distance merchants, like old eastern merchants along the Silk Road.

In terms of why the idol should be in Khitai, perhaps because it's a place with a strong centralization of magic? It wouldn't have to be the idol in mine, though. That'll be @Matt John S's call on Sunday.

My second scenario suggestion. This could be an optional one.

KILL THE TRAITOR (Tavern map)

Hadrathus, Ikhmet, Yogah and Zelata are racing to Nordheim for some exciting reason but an elite Cushite group loyal to Thot Amon have been tracking them. As the heroes rest for an evening, the inn where they’re staying is surrounded and the death squad enter, knowing that if Ikhmet can be killed, it will be harder for the heroes to find Thot Amon in Stygia.

Heroes: Hadrathus, Ikhmet, Yogah and Zelata

Tiles: (not in order) Shubba, Shafiah, Ghayoor, Afari, Belit’s Guard (two of whom hold torches (from Stygia box)), Special Tile

The Heroes win the game if Ikhmet makes it out of the tavern alive.

The Overlord wins the game if Ikhmet does not make it out of the tavern alive.

If one of the Overlord’s characters holding a torch ends a turn without attacking, they may set fire to the area they are in. Anyone caught in fire takes three damage (the Overlord may spend gems to mitigate against this damage). Anyone who ends their turn in an area adjacent to fire takes one damage. If one of the bar spaces catches fire, all of the bar spaces immediately catch fire. If a character holding a torch is killed, their torch is dropped but not extinguished. Any of the Overlord’s characters may pick up a torch for free. A hero may extinguish a torch on the floor with a simple manipulation. An area on fire may be extinguished from an adjacent area with a complex manipulation with a difficulty of 3.

• Like 2

Actually I would prefer to use my ideas to tell the story I intended with my scenario; no problem if it doesn't fit the campaign but please don;t use any of the specifics I posted for other scenarios as I will be writing mine as a kind of "return to the tower of the elephant" standalone. If it does fit into the campaign, great.

Probably won't have time to come up with another idea before tomorrow but will post if I can.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

OPENING SCENARIO PITCH
Hadrathus awakens from a magical trance in which Thoth Amon's plot has been revealed to him. It is powerful, global and destructive. Hadrathus must get the word out to Conan of Aquilonia.
Ikhmet, renegade Stygian Assassin, arrived at Shuang Mian's Tower where Hadrathus has been studying, mere hours ago, warning of dark powers rising in the South. Too late! Breaking glass and the stomp of soldiers boots reveal Shaung Mian has betrayed Hadrathus to Thoth Amon. Assassins and soldiers pour into the Tower, led by an unstoppable servant of the dark.
Shentu, the last guard loyal to Hadrathus, prepares to fight. Hadrathus calls upon Asura for aid. Asura sends a powerful guardian in the form of Yogah of Yag. Ikhmet, Shentu and Yogah must see that Hadrathus gets safely out of the tower and on his way to Aquilonia with the warning, nothing else matters.

Using:
Khitai Tower map
Hadrathus
Yogah
Shentu
Ikhmet
Stygia Assassins
Khitai Tower Guards
Khitai Honor Guards
Shaung Mian
Evil Hound- Dark Demon not yet full power.
Warlock Documents
Spell Book special item

I will purposly keep the exact details of Toth Amon's plot vague. That is for the rest of you to flesh out. I'm just getting the ball rolling. Of course, I'm holding on to all these ideas lightly and I thank everyone for their previous input. I borrowed some of your ideas. Like for example the Evil Hound (Dark Demon) cannot be harmed and the Heroes must flee from it. I thought that idea was worth stealing. We will see in playtesting. Looking forward to discussions. :)

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 7:29 AM, drmauric said:

Yes. Well, Yogah has Spellcasting but...

On Tuesday @Matt John S listed Conan, Hadrathus, Shentu, Ikhmet, Niord, and Yogah as the main Hero pool with Shevatas and Belit being usable if necessary. (because in terms of canon, they would be long dead)

A prior post listed the King Box Heroes as usable, because that is all easily available to download, but it seems like we moved away from that idea once we started talking proxy and printing to make things easy on Core Box/ Retail Only people, which is our target audience.

So seems like we need a consensus here. We all seem to be on slightly different pages. :)

Agreed. We do need a consensus. We could have our main scenarios, let's say 5 or 6 use the strict list of only retail elements, but allow optional scenarios to use all elements from the game. Perhaps these scenarios offer very minor rewards as far as progression goes and focus on things that happen elsewhere or "off screen" of our main story. It's just a thought. 

On 1/13/2018 at 6:25 PM, Primeval said:

Actually I would prefer to use my ideas to tell the story I intended with my scenario; no problem if it doesn't fit the campaign but please don;t use any of the specifics I posted for other scenarios as I will be writing mine as a kind of "return to the tower of the elephant" standalone. If it does fit into the campaign, great.

Probably won't have time to come up with another idea before tomorrow but will post if I can.

Given that Dan’s scenario starts with Yogah, the two are incompatible. That’s a bummer.

43 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Given that Dan’s scenario starts with Yogah, the two are incompatible. That’s a bummer.

Yeah, this "bottom-up" approach allows for more creativity but will also require more retrofitting for all our scenarios. Once we have all the concepts out there, it might be easier to the pieces in place.

• Like 3

Here's my pitch:

Taking it to the Streets of Khemi

Although frustrated time and again by Conan and his allies, Thoth Amon has discovered that Shuang Mian, a powerful sorcerer from the east, owns the second half of a powerful amulet that, when united, can summon the mortal incarnation of Set. Thoth Amon lures the eastern sorcerer to Khemi with the promise of riches and power. Word of this evil alliance soon reaches King Conan and his allies. Emboldened by their recent victories and carrying Xuthal's Crown as protection from the most heinous sorceries, Conan decides to travel to the heart of Stygia and put an end to Thoth Amon’s plots.

Conan, Hadrathus, Ikhmet, and Njord sneak into Khemi and watch from a nearby rooftop as Shuang Mian’s ship pulls into port and ranks of soldiers disembark and flood the streets of Khemi.

Maps: Stygia + One Ship

Heroes: Conan, Hadrathus, Ikhmet, and Njord

Minions: Tower Guards, Honor Guards, Eternal Guards, and Javelin Throwers

Villains: Thoth Amon, Shuang Mian, Outer Dark Demon (drops Stygian Artifact when killed)

Objective

·         The heroes have to kill either Thoth Amon or Shuang Mian.

·         The Overlord has to begin his turn with both Thoth Amon and Shuang Mian in the same zone.

Special Rules

·         A magic aura protects Thoth Amon from all damage except spell damage. This aura prevents Thoth Amon from moving more than his base movement during each activation.

·         A magic aura protects Shuang Mian from all damage except by someone carrying the Stygian Artifact. This aura prevents Shuang Mian from moving more than his base movement during each activation.

·         Event Card – The Overlord takes control of a character who is not wearing Xuthal’s Crown. The Overlord may move up to four gems from their reserve zone to their fatigue zone. For each gem moved in this manner, the Overlord may move one gem from the possessed character's reserve to any of the character's action spaces. Limits: No more than two gems per action space, must follow exertion limits, may not use free movement points, may not instruct the character to inflict self-harm or use community gems. The Overlord also gains 8 reinforcement points.

Gear

·         Conan (battle axe, leather armor)

·         Hadratus (sword + Bori's Rage, Mitra's Halo, Carried By The Wind)

·         Niord (tribal mace, parrying dagger)

·         Ikhmet (assassin's dagger, assassin's dagger)

·         Xuthal’s Crown (0, 1, or 2 crowns depending on previous missions)

Chest Loot

·         Spellbook (allows a caster to learn the spell Lighting Strike)

·         Halberd

·         Crossbow

·         Shield

·         Health Potion

·         Health Potion

Edited by Ken
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

No worries; Dan's is the first one and starts it all so should get precedence.

Given what I have read from you, Dan and Ken I think I can still create a similar scenario using the established heroes and placing my scenario 3rd. However, if there as already the evil amulet idea in there I think the idol would be redundant perhaps. I was thinking though that the idol, when destroyed, could also yield fragments that could be used to forge a weapon that can harm the Dark Demon. Sounds like having Yogah in the final battle won't fit with Ken's pitch, so perhaps there is some other benefit Thoth gets if he wins and gets the idol. Destroying it would still negate that bonus and allow Yogah to offer whatever aid he can, of his own free will, to the heroes. The idol could also affect Yogah's status/usage - when the idol is destroyed it breaks the magic that allowed him to be summoned and he goes back the realm he came from, but the heroes have the shards and have kept Thoth from enslaving him. If Thoth's assassins get  the idol and win, then it still breaks the magic and now Thoth controls Yogah - whether he actually shows up in another scenario or Thoth simply forces some secret from Yogah that aids him we can discuss. This then could allow for the Nordheim scenario to follow and get Niord replacing Yogah. How we fill that gap between locations I am not sure. Maybe mine should be located closer to Aquilonia and therefore Nordheim so we can transition to Niord and Conan getting involved.

If the heroes are heading from Khitai toward Stygia, then I would place mine along the way, using the fortress as a ruined outpost, wherever we decide to place it and using the same heroes as scenarios 1 and 2.

Sorry for any rambling, kind of thinking out loud as it were.

I will have a more fleshed out pitch by Tuesday, but I think we are starting to make a little progress.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 6:25 PM, Primeval said:

Little late to the party, but my first pitch would fall into the "optional" category.
As I've said before, I had an idea of a "dreamworld" scenario in which the heroes are transported to either retrieve something or put an end to a curse-like spell.
The caveat is that I thought about this revolving around Conan, so tell me if you'd like us to keep with this or if I should change the main character idea so that we may more easily negotiate things with him down the line. I'm going to use some of the points you've made before, as well as some of the KS content as I feel it makes sense in the circumstances (but I could tweak it so that it goes with pretty much any setup we like once we set it in a timeline) so it goes like this (and I may be taking some lore-related liberties):

Hadrathus finally gains an audience with King Conan, but between bureaucracy and other events overlapping, the heroes can't get a direct audience with him.
Instead, Pallantides approaches them with a request on Conan's behalf.
It seems the King has heard of Thoth-Amon's threat, and would gladly jump at the opportunity to stretch his sinews and lash out at the necromancer. But there are others who think it wiser to pursue a tangential issue first... The King has been having premonition-like nightmares for the better part of a few months, not long after Hadrathus first found out about Thoth-Amon's plans.
In them, Conan does face-off against this foe alongside a band of adventurers, but he dies while simultaneously taking Thoth-Amon down as well.
While Conan himself takes no issue in this, real or not as the premonitions may be, there are others who feel it wiser to take all stepts for the crown to remain upon his head for a while longer.

It has come to the attention of Pallantides and others that there may be a way to ensure the nightmares never come to pass, but a complicated ritual must take place, and it involves transferring the essence of those involved into another plane of existence to "kill" the nightmarish apparition itself. There is a contact that Pallantides has made at a local inn that is vital to the cause, so they must travel there first in order to perform the ritual and transferrence.

Here's where it gets tricky, and stop me if I go too far.
I want to blend 2 maps into one scenario (tavern and fortress) and have both of them go on at the same time.
The idea is to split the party (Don't I know it...) and have half (or so) accompanied by some Black Dragons remain in the taver and face off against some regular troops, while the rest goes over into the "dreamworld", and fights alongside Conan (the core box Conan or Conan the Wanderer, in any case one of the variants of him as a free spirit rather than a King dealing with kingly minutiae) to take on the apparition of Thoth-Amon and his clique of demons and spirits, of which there are enough in the Core to have this proxied if need be.

There are lots of balancing issues and fiddling, I agree, but this could be truly something else and something worthy of such a glorious arc as we have planned.
The only setup issue would be the Overlord dealing with action in 2 spots at once as the heroes will be split anyway and only focus on one half of things anyway.
Should they win, Conan gets a powerful boon in the final battle (maybe a healing spell or a reroll-to-end-all-rerolls, jury's still out).
Should they fail, Thoth-Amon will benefit from either an event that the OL can trigger against Conan, an increased damage output against him, or our barbie will simply suffer from a lessening of his abilities overall in this final fight so that he faces an increased risk of being defeated.

Heroes:
Hadrathus
Pallantides
Black Dragons x5

Yogah
*pepper liberally with your other choices so that we may keep this consistent*
Debating whether to add some more "mercenary" options for adventurers who seek to gain Conan's favour and pledge themselves to aid in this endeavour.

Opponents:
Tavern: Guards x5 led by a single villain character
Fortress:  Skeletons, Mummies, Bone Golem, Forest Demon, GIant Snake, Thog, T-A's apparition... Not all at once, of course, just laying out some possibilities.

I know it's a lot to take in, but the concept has me chomping at the bit to see it unfurl, so lend me your C&C.

• Like 2

@Grizzlyface

I think your idea is great for a optional scenario. With some simple modifications of how the Overlord works in Sacrificial Heroes I think you will be fine.

For example in Sacrficial Heroes they call out when the blue guards are activated, all guards with colored bases are activated as well.

You could use the same idea, for example when the guards are activated on the Inn map the (what ever nightmare creatures) on the fortress map are also activated. Or when the Captain tile is activated so is his equivalent on the other map. Easy enough, I think.

Looking forward to it.