Community Generated Campaign

Matt John S

With all the traveling from

Khitai to Nordheim (for @Matt John S‘s scenario) to Stygia for the final showdown, I feel it would be totally remiss to not do a scenario on the ships. Last week I suggested an ambush by Stygian Assassins but I think something slightly more creative may be in order if my ambush in a tavern scenario is accepted. I can’t think what yet but I’m working on it.

Edited by Neil Amswych
  • Like 1

@Neil Amswych- are you working on a sea scenario? We can shift mine to being at sea- the idol could be crossing  the Vilayet and the heroes catch up to the ship to stop it. Same victory outcomes and is one less travelling scenario, this would go after yours in the third slot, with Matt's to follow. Or we can just put your sea scenario after mine in the 4th slot, depending on how many scenarios we want.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

I have the beginnings of an idea for the alternate final scenario (Ruined Fortress) and wanted to run it by you all. I recall someone suggesting an idea about a scenario where Thoth Amon is trying to gather an idol to either resurrect or take control of Yogah of Yag. If a scenario like that is written and the heroes lose, Yogah of Yag would end up working for Thoth Amon.

Here's my idea:

Thoth Amon now controls a corrupted Yogah of Yag, who leads the Stygian armies north. This army has won major battles in both Shem and Argos, swelling its ranks with both living mercenaries and the dead, and now threatens the southern border of Aquilonia. Conan gathers his forces and marches south to meet this overwhelming force. He knows the true Yogah of Yag would rather die than cause such evil destruction, and sets out with an elite team to infiltrate the ruined fortress where the evil army is camped with one goal: to kill Yogah.

Here is the twist: the Overlord plays Yogah (with the character sheet) in addition to the standard two tiles per round. This should make it especially difficult for the heroes (which I always love to do :) ), but also rather epic.

I don't have the scenario mapped out yet (I am waiting to see what the group things of the framework first)  but it would be cool to have a dual purpose event tile, where activating the tile helps the Overlord, but each use of the tile also allows Yogah to fight back just a little against the possession, perhaps by inflicting a wound on himself, thus aiding the heroes. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ken said:

I have the beginnings of an idea for the alternate final scenario (Ruined Fortress) and wanted to run it by you all. I recall someone suggesting an idea about a scenario where Thoth Amon is trying to gather an idol to either resurrect or take control of Yogah of Yag. If a scenario like that is written and the heroes lose, Yogah of Yag would end up working for Thoth Amon.

Here's my idea:

Thoth Amon now controls a corrupted Yogah of Yag, who leads the Stygian armies north. This army has won major battles in both Shem and Argos, swelling its ranks with both living mercenaries and the dead, and now threatens the southern border of Aquilonia. Conan gathers his forces and marches south to meet on overwhelming force. He knows the true Yogah of Yag would rather die than cause such evil destruction, and sets out with an elite team to infiltrate the ruined fortress where the evil army is camped with one goal: to kill Yogah.

Here is the twist: the Overlord plays Yogah (with the character sheet) in addition to the standard two tiles per round. This should make it especially difficult for the heroes (which I always love to do :) ), but also rather epic.

I don't have the scenario mapped out yet (I am waiting to see what the group things of the framework first)  but it would be cool to have a dual purpose event tile, where activating the tile helps the Overlord, but each use of the tile also allows Yogah to fight back just a little against the possession, perhaps by inflicting a wound on himself, thus aiding the heroes. 

Thoughts?

My scenario is about the idol and control of Yogah.  If the heroes win Yogah destroys the idol and he offers some boon to the heroes. If Thoth wins then he can compel Yogah to obey. I also put forth the idea that this would enrage Conan so much that we would get some kind of bonus for that final battle. I like your idea for the scenario above! Your other could be the one if the heroes succeed and the idol is destroyed maybe?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Primeval said:

@Neil Amswych- are you working on a sea scenario? We can shift mine to being at sea- the idol could be crossing  the Vilayet and the heroes catch up to the ship to stop it. Same victory outcomes and is one less travelling scenario, this would go after yours in the third slot, with Matt's to follow. Or we can just put your sea scenario after mine in the 4th slot, depending on how many scenarios we want.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about chests, and not just because I’ve been painting Belit all evening. 😉

Something about raiding one of Thot’s ship and trying to discard his chests overboard because whatever is inside must be lost at sea never to be found. But they can’t just chuck everything overboard because there’s valuable stuff inside a couple of chests as well. So instead of a hack and slash, it’s an effort to stay alive while raiding chests.

Of course the temptation would be to

kill everyone on the ship and then just chuck things overboard so I’d have to work out a way to discourage that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking about chests, and not just because I’ve been painting Belit all evening. 😉

Something about raiding one of Thot’s ship and trying to discard his chests overboard because whatever is inside must be lost at sea never to be found. But they can’t just chuck everything overboard because there’s valuable stuff inside a couple of chests as well. So instead of a hack and slash, it’s an effort to stay alive while raiding chests.

Of course the temptation would be to

kill everyone on the ship and then just chuck things overboard so I’d have to work out a way to discourage that.

Sounds good - do your thing with that idea, I will pitch mine as the 3rd scenario between yours as the 2nd and then possible 4th - just be aware that if mine is accepted Yogah will probably be gone and will need replacing before Matt has Niord join in.

It sounds like we have a solid set up for the first 5 scenarios and the finale, or perhaps the finale is #6, but it seems there would be room for one more between Nordheim and Stygia for the finale. Of course Matt will have the final say on that, just observing what we have so far

Edited by Primeval

7 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

How many chests are we

allowed to use in a scenario? I have an idea.

1 hour ago, Neil Amswych said:

@Neil Amswych There is only one Belit in the Retail Box....

oh, wait... you mean treasure chests... there are 10 of those...

geeze... I suddenly feel like I'm back in the JR High locker room. LOL!

• Haha 2

@drmauric@Primeval@Neil Amswych @Ken

Okay, here’s what I’ve cobbled together. Please have a close look at this and provide ideas, confirmation, feedback, or conflicts/issues.

Scenario 1: Dan, I think your starting point is excellent. The only thing I would change is how Yogah comes into the story. Rather than Asura sending Yogah, can we, perhaps, write in that one of the Yellow Priests of Yun gave Hadrathus a pendant during his wandering in Khitai and perhaps it is Yogah who comes to Hadrathus in the dream or vision and relays the warning that Conan’s throne is being plotted against? Otherwise, I think that is our starting point. I’d say we make it so that Thoth’s plans are multifaceted. He’s after particular items, information, or needs to have certain rituals done in certain places (whatever you all need your scenarios to be about) to get all his plans as he wants them. How successful he is in each area decides the rewards and progression the Overlord player gains over the course of the campaign.

Dan is planning to use:

Khitai Tower map
Hadrathus
Yogah
Shentu
Ikhmet

Stygia Assassins
Khitai Tower Guards
Khitai Honor Guards
Shaung Mian
Evil Hound- Dark Demon not yet full power.
Warlock Documents
Spell Book special item

Scenario 2: Neil – my thoughts are, remove Conan from this. I believe Conan should come later. I was thinking of debuting him in Nordheim or maybe he just shows up for final scenario A and B. Other than that, I like your mechanic ideas. In terms of Victory Points, I think that will work. This works well too, because it’s just like a narrative link. It has meaning as far as the progression goes but isn’t so much about Thoth trying to find the third piece of the Triforce of Wisdom. Know what I’m saying?  I like that players have options to split their efforts.

Neil is going to use:

Khitai Streets Map

Heroes: Hadrathus, Yogah, Shentu, Ikhmet

Tiles: (not in order) Dark Demon (does not start in river), Regular Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Elite Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Javelin Throwers (guarding shrine), Crows (in town), Special Tile 1, Special Tile 2

Special Tile 1 allows for normal unit reinforcements, Special Tile 2 allows Dark Demon to appear

Scenario 3: Primeval/Kevin, I would say the Yogah thing might be problematic due to location and the fact that he is one of the Hero characters. I’m not sure that will work because we need to have Yogah in from the beginning. Otherwise I really like the scenario idea. The other issue is that whether the Overlord or heroes get control of Yogah is a HUGE balance discrepancy. I’d say hang on to that one for your own standalone. ( NO WAIT, See KEN’S IDEA FOR FINAL SCENARIO below) Now after reading your more recent comment (”Given what I have read from you, Dan and Ken I think I can still create a similar scenario using the established heroes and placing my scenario 3rd “) .  I think that will work. I think part of the progression here is that those shards or idol, or whatever it happens to be, gives the heroes a bonus yellow or orange die roll they add to their attack when striking the Dark Demon (Similar to the Thaug scenario I wrote for the Modiphius book that you played). If the Overlrod wins, perhaps the demon becomes even more powerful? Maybe the demon is connected to this idol somehow. Let me know if any of that works or doesn’t.  And yes, let’s kill Yogah on this one. So mine will be Niord, Hadrathus, Shentu, and Inkhmet. Conan won’t show up until scenario 5, and 6. So can you write this one with Hadrathus, Yogah, Inkhmet and Shentu? Sorry if this write up for you feels scattered. I want you to be able to write what you want. And I think you can work it the way you’re suggesting.

Kevin will use:

Ruined fortress map.

Hadrathus, Yogah, Inkhmet and Shentu

Tiles and gear TBD

Scenario 4: Matt Nordheim. I have been busy this week, and was going to sit down to this tonight and really flesh it out. But assembling this master plan here has taken my time. Haha. So,  I’ll give you my loose ideas and they’ll have to be enough for the time being.

This takes place on the battlefield Map.

I’m struggling with the geography here. Norheim is way off the beaten path and just about every other location has motivation except this one. We need to transition from Khitai, Khitai, road away from Khitai, blank, Stygia or Aquilonia. The blank is the geography of this scenario. Nordheim is way the fuck out of the way. So, I was thinking about including Conan and making it a dream or a lotus vision. Otherwise I can have them travel there on the weird winged creature summoned in the Scarlet Citadel. Perhaps Hadrathus is capable of this?

Anyway, there is a cursed/fabled piece of land. Supposedly where the barrier between the world and the Outer Dark is thin. It is the same battlefield where Conan first spotted the Frost Giant’s daughter. That is a tale that became legend in both Nordheim (told by Niord) and Aquilonia (told many a time by the king himself).  Hadrathus has seen the field many times in his visions, and even feels as though he once walked on the site as the vision of it is so vivid in his mind’s eye. But he also saw Thoth walking the site as part of his vision (from Dan’s scenario). Or maybe it’s just the Dark Demon. Not sure yet. I’m imagining that Thoth is after a lock of Atali’s hair, perhaps, or is looking to capture her. Maybe it’s some other item. With it, he will be able to summon her brothers or other children of Ymir as he wishes.  Maybe it’s another item, that allows Thoth to summon more sorcerous aid. I was thinking perhaps something that allows him to control the dead (using the zombie Vanir tiles from the Nordheim box). Maybe it’s just him recruiting the Skuthus tile from the Nordheim expansion or stealing some item he has…

Again, I’m not sure. I know that mechanically it want it to involve the heroes and the Overlord both offering hearts on the altar of Ymir. They kill a particular enemy, the enemy drops a heart. By adding them to the altar, Ymir sends them aid in the battle (Norheim primitives, crows, Undead warriors, Frost Giants). So each side is able to get these and they sort of race and or struggle to maintain control of these assets throughout the scenario. As for progression, I was thinking that whichever side wins gets to control a bonus tile in the following the scenario. Nothing major but it just involves simple special rules that grant the winning side control of the tile.  

See, I told you it was sketchy.

Matt will use:

Nordheim battlefield board.

Niord

Hadrathus

Shentu/Inkhmet OR replace one of those with Conan.

I’m all ears for how you think I should make this one make sense.

Scenario 5 Final Scenario A: Ken This one is option A for the final scenario, depending on what happens as far as who wins what previous scenarios. This one will be written by Ken. The only retrofitting we need to do here is to Have Shuang Mian from Dan’s make a comeback. So in Dan’s we need to establish that he doesn’t die. Or rather we write that into this description. Make sense? I like that we’ll have this piece of continuity actually. Perhaps Shuang Mian will be slightly more or less powerful depending who won scenario 1? And maybe this amulet of set plot is the final piece in Thoth’s plan? You will simply need to make minor adjustments to your plot on this one, Ken, to match what’s come before.

Ken will use:

Maps: Stygia + One Ship

Heroes: Conan, Hadrathus, Ikhmet, and Njord

Minions: Tower Guards, Honor Guards, Eternal Guards, and Javelin Throwers

Villains: Thoth Amon, Shuang Mian, Outer Dark Demon (drops Stygian Artifact when killed)

Gear

·         Conan (battle axe, leather armor)

·         Hadratus (sword + Bori's Rage, Mitra's Halo, Carried By The Wind)

·         Niord (tribal mace, parrying dagger)

·         Ikhmet (assassin's dagger, assassin's dagger)

·         Xuthal’s Crown (0, 1, or 2 crowns depending on previous missions)

Chest Loot

·         Spellbook (allows a caster to learn the spell Lighting Strike)

·         Halberd

·         Crossbow

·         Shield

·         Health Potion

·         Health Potion

Scenario 6: Nobody assigned yet. I vote Dan as he started this beast, why not have him finish it? I also have some ideas for it. But we’ll leave it up to anyone who wants to grab it up. Maybe we all throw some ideas at it?  We decided that this one takes place in a destroyed section of Tarantia, capital city of King Conan. We use the ruined fortress again (not a big deal to repeat ourselves, I don’t think). It has been destroyed by some kind of sneaky magic attack, perhaps related one of the items or rewards found along the way. Conan and friends show up to fight the off the forces of Thoth who were bold enough to attack Tarantia.

Wait…BREAKING NEWS. I’ve read Ken’s idea for a final. If he’s game, and you’re game and I’m game, I say it could work. This could make Kevin’s idea work too. Here’s Ken’s Idea, which I think is good. Can we still use my bombed out Tarantia idea with this?

I have the beginnings of an idea for the alternate final scenario (Ruined Fortress) and wanted to run it by you all. I recall someone suggesting an idea about a scenario where Thoth Amon is trying to gather an idol to either resurrect or take control of Yogah of Yag. If a scenario like that is written and the heroes lose, Yogah of Yag would end up working for Thoth Amon. Here's Ken's idea: 

Here's my idea:

Thoth Amon now controls a corrupted Yogah of Yag, who leads the Stygian armies north. This army has won major battles in both Shem and Argos, swelling its ranks with both living mercenaries and the dead, and now threatens the southern border of Aquilonia. Conan gathers his forces and marches south to meet this overwhelming force. He knows the true Yogah of Yag would rather die than cause such evil destruction, and sets out with an elite team to infiltrate the ruined fortress where the evil army is camped with one goal: to kill Yogah.

Thoughts?

So this is our framework. Any optional scenarios will need to be fit in between the existing ones and not disrupt the flow. As I said before they could offer simple rewards as such: " any side missions could simply augment how the next scenario plays out. So say you insert a side mission (using whatever components we like) in between 3 and 4. if the Heroes win this 3.5 scenario, you could do something simple like have them begin play with one fewer gem in their fatigue, and if the Overlord won 3.5 they start with a few less in their fatigue. just gives that side a slightly stronger start and doesn't break anything but still has some meaning. "

The only thing we’ll have to figure out now is the specific carryover and progression elements. Perhaps you want incorporate an item that can be carried over from scenario to the next. We all need to know about this, even if it’s a life potion. I believe the weapons, spells and armor shouldn’t really carryover from one to the next, but we can add in a few exceptions if you have ideas. We mentioned the bonus gem system already. And victory points determine what? What say you?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Primeval said:

This looks good Matt - I will start working on mine soon.

I suggest for now we focus solely on and get this "main scenario" framework done, and only then look at side/optional scenarios and fitting them into the existing framework.

Agreed. I only mention the side quests for others outside of the five of us who want to jump on board. They will have to write around what we're doing and not disturb the framework. I really dont want anymore than two maybe three. If no one jumps on it, like, real soon, I'll just probably remove the option. 

• Like 1

Looks good to me. I’d prefer minimal item progression because it makes playtesting each scenario far easier. Progression could be shared gems or maybe Hadrathus level up.

Yes, Nordheim is way the *can we really say this word in this forum* away so maybe some magical visit is the way forward. I would still be happy to do a ships scenario if you would rather make it a physical visit, though. Happy to be one of the people who jumps on that as an optional scenario if you’d prefer.

Oh wait, the death squad burn the tavern scenario! Do you not want that one? I won’t take it personally but I do think it’s an interesting different take on the usual tavern scenarios. Your call - you’re the boss.

2 hours ago, Matt John S said:

@drmauric@Primeval@Neil Amswych 

Scenario 4: Matt Nordheim. I have been busy this week, and was going to sit down to this tonight and really flesh it out. But assembling this master plan here has taken my time. Haha. So,  I’ll give you my loose ideas and they’ll have to be enough for the time being.

I’m struggling with the geography here. Norheim is way off the beaten path and just about every other location has motivation except this one. We need to transition from Khitai, Khitai, road away from Khitai, blank, Stygia or Aquilonia. The blank is the geography of this scenario. Nordheim is way the fuck out of the way. So, I was thinking about including Conan and making it a dream or a lotus vision. Otherwise I can have them travel there on the weird winged creature summoned in the Scarlet Citadel. Perhaps Hadrathus is capable of this?

Just a thought, but does it have to be considered Nordheim? You can use the Battlefield map but have it occur in far north Khitai (a Mongolian/Siberian type area). The characters could be similar and would help overcome the “way the fuck out of the way” issue. 

• Like 2

Working on mine - first draft of the intro text that explains the scenario, I think this makes it more clear than my previous ramblings.

"Having fled Khitai, the heroes are heading west, informed by Yogah that in days past, via foul rituals he is loathe to recall, Yara constructed (as a failsafe should his control over Yogah wane) an idol in Yogah's likeness and of his essence that can be used to control him. He thought the idol long lost but has sensed it exists still. Thoth-Amon knows of this too, and wants the idol to compel Yogah to either reveal unto him arcane secrets or to actually fight for him - perhaps both.

The idol must be found and destroyed, by Yogah. Doing so will send him back to the realm he has come from to aid Hadrathus, but will allow him to offer aid of his own free will before he goes. Should Thoth-Amon get the idol.... Yogah will once more find himself in sorcerous shackles and aiding a vile practicioner of the dark arts.

The idol, when destroyed, will also yield fragments that can be used to forge a weapon to harm the Dark Demon that is in thrall to Thoth-Amon. 

Knowing all this, Hadrathus, Yogah, Ikhmet and Shentu prepare to enter a ruined fortress near the eastern shores of the Vilayet Sea. It was once a Turanian outpost, but is now named accursed - overtaken and befouled by Yara and his minions in years past, feared by any who even know of its existence and the tales of those who have dared try to explore it. Here, Yogah has divined, may be found the idol."

Also, are the hero cards for our group of heroes online and available? I know the tiles for everything are on the editor so that is a huge help.

I will have heroes equipped as they were in the first 2 scenarios; if there is some kind of carryover or bonus let me know.

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Matt John S said:

@drmauric@Primeval@Neil Amswych @Ken

Okay, here’s what I’ve cobbled together. Please have a close look at this and provide ideas, confirmation, feedback, or conflicts/issues.

Scenario 1: Dan, I think your starting point is excellent. The only thing I would change is how Yogah comes into the story. Rather than Asura sending Yogah, can we, perhaps, write in that one of the Yellow Priests of Yun gave Hadrathus a pendant during his wandering in Khitai and perhaps it is Yogah who comes to Hadrathus in the dream or vision and relays the warning that Conan’s throne is being plotted against? Otherwise, I think that is our starting point. I’d say we make it so that Thoth’s plans are multifaceted. He’s after particular items, information, or needs to have certain rituals done in certain places (whatever you all need your scenarios to be about) to get all his plans as he wants them. How successful he is in each area decides the rewards and progression the Overlord player gains over the course of the campaign.

Dan is planning to use:

Khitai Tower map
Hadrathus
Yogah
Shentu
Ikhmet

Stygia Assassins
Khitai Tower Guards
Khitai Honor Guards
Shaung Mian
Evil Hound- Dark Demon not yet full power.
Warlock Documents
Spell Book special item

Scenario 2: Neil – my thoughts are, remove Conan from this. I believe Conan should come later. I was thinking of debuting him in Nordheim or maybe he just shows up for final scenario A and B. Other than that, I like your mechanic ideas. In terms of Victory Points, I think that will work. This works well too, because it’s just like a narrative link. It has meaning as far as the progression goes but isn’t so much about Thoth trying to find the third piece of the Triforce of Wisdom. Know what I’m saying?  I like that players have options to split their efforts.

Neil is going to use:

Khitai Streets Map

Heroes: Hadrathus, Yogah, Shentu, Ikhmet

Tiles: (not in order) Dark Demon (does not start in river), Regular Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Elite Crossbowmen (guarding docks), Javelin Throwers (guarding shrine), Crows (in town), Special Tile 1, Special Tile 2

Special Tile 1 allows for normal unit reinforcements, Special Tile 2 allows Dark Demon to appear

Scenario 3: Primeval/Kevin, I would say the Yogah thing might be problematic due to location and the fact that he is one of the Hero characters. I’m not sure that will work because we need to have Yogah in from the beginning. Otherwise I really like the scenario idea. The other issue is that whether the Overlord or heroes get control of Yogah is a HUGE balance discrepancy. I’d say hang on to that one for your own standalone. ( NO WAIT, See KEN’S IDEA FOR FINAL SCENARIO below) Now after reading your more recent comment (”Given what I have read from you, Dan and Ken I think I can still create a similar scenario using the established heroes and placing my scenario 3rd “) .  I think that will work. I think part of the progression here is that those shards or idol, or whatever it happens to be, gives the heroes a bonus yellow or orange die roll they add to their attack when striking the Dark Demon (Similar to the Thaug scenario I wrote for the Modiphius book that you played). If the Overlrod wins, perhaps the demon becomes even more powerful? Maybe the demon is connected to this idol somehow. Let me know if any of that works or doesn’t.  And yes, let’s kill Yogah on this one. So mine will be Niord, Hadrathus, Shentu, and Inkhmet. Conan won’t show up until scenario 5, and 6. So can you write this one with Hadrathus, Yogah, Inkhmet and Shentu? Sorry if this write up for you feels scattered. I want you to be able to write what you want. And I think you can work it the way you’re suggesting.

Kevin will use:

Ruined fortress map.

Hadrathus, Yogah, Inkhmet and Shentu

Tiles and gear TBD

Anyway, there is a cursed/fabled piece of land. Supposedly where the barrier between the world and the Outer Dark is thin. It is the same battlefield where Conan first spotted the Frost Giant’s daughter. That is a tale that became legend in both Nordheim (told by Niord) and Aquilonia (told many a time by the king himself).  Hadrathus has seen the field many times in his visions, and even feels as though he once walked on the site as the vision of it is so vivid in his mind’s eye. But he also saw Thoth walking the site as part of his vision (from Dan’s scenario). Or maybe it’s just the Dark Demon. Not sure yet. I’m imagining that Thoth is after a lock of Atali’s hair, perhaps, or is looking to capture her. Maybe it’s some other item. With it, he will be able to summon her brothers or other children of Ymir as he wishes.  Maybe it’s another item, that allows Thoth to summon more sorcerous aid. I was thinking perhaps something that allows him to control the dead (using the zombie Vanir tiles from the Nordheim box). Maybe it’s just him recruiting the Skuthus tile from the Nordheim expansion or stealing some item he has…

Again, I’m not sure. I know that mechanically it want it to involve the heroes and the Overlord both offering hearts on the altar of Ymir. They kill a particular enemy, the enemy drops a heart. By adding them to the altar, Ymir sends them aid in the battle (Norheim primitives, crows, Undead warriors, Frost Giants). So each side is able to get these and they sort of race and or struggle to maintain control of these assets throughout the scenario. As for progression, I was thinking that whichever side wins gets to control a bonus tile in the following the scenario. Nothing major but it just involves simple special rules that grant the winning side control of the tile.  

See, I told you it was sketchy.

Matt will use:

Nordheim battlefield board.

Niord

Hadrathus

Shentu/Inkhmet OR replace one of those with Conan.

Scenario 5 Final Scenario A: Ken This one is option A for the final scenario, depending on what happens as far as who wins what previous scenarios. This one will be written by Ken. The only retrofitting we need to do here is to Have Shuang Mian from Dan’s make a comeback. So in Dan’s we need to establish that he doesn’t die. Or rather we write that into this description. Make sense? I like that we’ll have this piece of continuity actually. Perhaps Shuang Mian will be slightly more or less powerful depending who won scenario 1? And maybe this amulet of set plot is the final piece in Thoth’s plan? You will simply need to make minor adjustments to your plot on this one, Ken, to match what’s come before.

Ken will use:

Maps: Stygia + One Ship

Heroes: Conan, Hadrathus, Ikhmet, and Njord

Minions: Tower Guards, Honor Guards, Eternal Guards, and Javelin Throwers

Villains: Thoth Amon, Shuang Mian, Outer Dark Demon (drops Stygian Artifact when killed)

Gear

·         Conan (battle axe, leather armor)

·         Hadratus (sword + Bori's Rage, Mitra's Halo, Carried By The Wind)

·         Niord (tribal mace, parrying dagger)

·         Ikhmet (assassin's dagger, assassin's dagger)

·         Xuthal’s Crown (0, 1, or 2 crowns depending on previous missions)

Chest Loot

·         Spellbook (allows a caster to learn the spell Lighting Strike)

·         Halberd

·         Crossbow

·         Shield

·         Health Potion

·         Health Potion

Scenario 6: Nobody assigned yet. I vote Dan as he started this beast, why not have him finish it? I also have some ideas for it. But we’ll leave it up to anyone who wants to grab it up. Maybe we all throw some ideas at it?  We decided that this one takes place in a destroyed section of Tarantia, capital city of King Conan. We use the ruined fortress again (not a big deal to repeat ourselves, I don’t think). It has been destroyed by some kind of sneaky magic attack, perhaps related one of the items or rewards found along the way. Conan and friends show up to fight the off the forces of Thoth who were bold enough to attack Tarantia.

Wait…BREAKING NEWS. I’ve read Ken’s idea for a final. If he’s game, and you’re game and I’m game, I say it could work. This could make Kevin’s idea work too. Here’s Ken’s Idea, which I think is good. Can we still use my bombed out Tarantia idea with this?

I have the beginnings of an idea for the alternate final scenario (Ruined Fortress) and wanted to run it by you all. I recall someone suggesting an idea about a scenario where Thoth Amon is trying to gather an idol to either resurrect or take control of Yogah of Yag. If a scenario like that is written and the heroes lose, Yogah of Yag would end up working for Thoth Amon. Here's Ken's idea: 

Here's my idea:

Thoughts?

So this is our framework. Any optional scenarios will need to be fit in between the existing ones and not disrupt the flow. As I said before they could offer simple rewards as such: " any side missions could simply augment how the next scenario plays out. So say you insert a side mission (using whatever components we like) in between 3 and 4. if the Heroes win this 3.5 scenario, you could do something simple like have them begin play with one fewer gem in their fatigue, and if the Overlord won 3.5 they start with a few less in their fatigue. just gives that side a slightly stronger start and doesn't break anything but still has some meaning. "

The only thing we’ll have to figure out now is the specific carryover and progression elements. Perhaps you want incorporate an item that can be carried over from scenario to the next. We all need to know about this, even if it’s a life potion. I believe the weapons, spells and armor shouldn’t really carryover from one to the next, but we can add in a few exceptions if you have ideas. We mentioned the bonus gem system already. And victory points determine what? What say you?

Throwing my 2c in with the optional I had in mind: using the Fortress for the final scenario is perfect for me on account of the whole "premonition" thing I'd concocted.
Having the final battle go off more or less the same way (or taking cues from) the optional would be a fun thing to weave in and out of the main idea of the scenario as well as be sort of easter-egg-y for those who go for the optional.

Colour me giddy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

I seem to remember @Matt John S saying he wanted to use the big guys from the Nordheim box in the scenario. Would be kind of cool

to shift that and have Stygian Assassins in the snow, though (trying to ensure we don’t lose the Stygian Assassins)

Well, if you can have Picts in the snow...:biggrin:

Edited by Footballzs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Primeval said:

This looks good Matt - I will start working on mine soon.

I suggest for now we focus solely on and get this "main scenario" framework done, and only then look at side/optional scenarios and fitting them into the existing framework.

Agreed. I only mention the side quests for others outside of the five of us who want to jump on board. They will have to write around what we're doing and not disturb the framework. I really dont want anymore than two maybe three. If no one jumps on it, like, real soon, I'll just probably remove the option. 

Sorry, I don't know what's happening when I reply from the phone but in often copying old messages somehow. Anyway. I'm in a rush so I'll send my quick thoughts 

@drmauric the priests are only mentioned in passing in Tower of the Elephant. I highly encourage you to read that one. It's free online on Project Guttenburg I believe. There are also audio books on YouTube. 

@Neil Amswych I'm open to the side quest but back burner it for now. Let's get these main ones written first and then take it from there.  Also, the ships aren't of much use unless they involve crossing the Vilayet sea. Geographically they make no sense in getting us to Nordheim. 

@PrimevalThat sounds bloody perfect to me. I  the Norheim expansion there are 3 amulet shard equipment cards. Might be a good use for those. 

@Grizzlyface I'll need to look back at your idea. I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Where would you place this optional one and in what way it it similar to the finale? 

Also, I did consider not setting mine in Nordeheim and instead setting it in Hyperborea, but I want it to return thematically to the Frost Giant's daughter. Thoth may have plans for her as he believes she left some kind of lasting spell on the Cimmerian...more on that later. 

About items and progression. I think we really do need items to carry over. This is one of the things people want in a campaign. It's what I want. Our goal is to write a campaign that people want, not one that is easier for us. I understand that it maybe tricky carrying items over but it's not impossible. We just have to be careful

I think each author should have the freedom to give the Heroes whatever starting weapons and spells they want. So the main weapons and spells should not carry over.

But for example, I would like to put a Crossbow in the basement of the Tower. It's out of the way. But if the Heroes are daring enough to go for it I would like it to be a reward that carries over.

I am a firm believer that no single weapon or item will wreck a balanced scenario.

Using my Crossbow example, yes it's a Red Dice weapon, but no Hero has a Red Ranged Combat Dice. So a Hero has to decide, do I trade my Ambidextrous or Red Close Combat for a Ranged shot with weaker dice this turn? And it weighs 3 (I think) so it's not like Heroes can pile it on like Call of Duty. They will have to make decisions regarding gear or they will lose skills and movement points.

We want these decisions in our campaign, it's what makes it more immersive for the players. They begin to be more careful, especially if they can lose an item. How often in the regular game do we toss all of our itemes so we can get off the board with the prize with no consequences? The potential consequences will change the way the Heroes play and enhance the campaign feel.

Or another example, Life Potions, carrying over a Life Potion isn't much diffrent than including one in the scenario. Yes, it will be less likely the Heroes go for the new one in the locked chest, but then they don't have one for the next scenario.

We just have to be careful and respectful to the next guy in line. We obviously don't want to complicate things for the next guy. But the next guy in line also needs to maintain flexibilty and creativity. If a crossbow or other carried over weapon or item will truly wreck your idea, be open to making an optional rule, for example, if the Hero has a ranged weapon, certain Overlord units gain Untouchable or Protected or starts in a different area of the board.

Obviously once we see each others ideas more fleshed out we'll be able to adjust things and add in optional special rules or set up options if needed.

I write this not to impose my ideas or opinion but to encourage us to maintain felxibility and creativity, especially here at the very beginning. Let's write the campaign we've always wanted in Conan!

It might not be easy, but Crom suffers not the weak!

• Like 2

@Matt John S Thanks. I have read Tower of the Elephant. Obviously, I'm due for a re-read.

You mentioned getting to Norheim via dream or lotus. This is not a bad idea and may be an easy solution to the required travel.

In The Phoenix on the Sword, for example, Conan's dream resulted in a real world benefit. And for our time period and desperate circumstances maybe Conan is due another visit/ help from Epemetreus the Sage. And perhaps the Yellow Priests can assist... (in the narritive, not the actual game.)

Edited by drmauric
details

13 hours ago, Matt John S said:

I can confirm that Shuang Mian will not die. He is too cowardly to be at the Tower in person, so when he is attacked he will vanish in a puff of smoke, much to the disappointment of Thoth Amon...

(when Shuang is removed the Evil Hound, which cannot be otherwise harmed, is also removed)