Question for Matt John S about Solo Campaign

drunkviking

Hi Matt John S.:

I am excited to see the solo campaign that you developed for the Modiphius cross-over book. My question is: would the solo rules work for other scenarios with some modest changes (e.g. set-up, gem count, etc...)? I'm just really curious. Any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Thank you!

On 1/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, drunkviking said:

Hi Matt John S.:

I am excited to see the solo campaign that you developed for the Modiphius cross-over book. My question is: would the solo rules work for other scenarios with some modest changes (e.g. set-up, gem count, etc...)? I'm just really curious. Any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Greetings @drunkviking, glad you're excited. To answer your question, no. This play mode is a special set of rules. The heroes play the same, but the Overlord has automated commands that require each scenario to be written for this play mode. Essentially, there is no strategy on the part of the Overlord, and you as the Heroes are trying to fight against the scenario itself. By default the overlord minis attack whichever hero is the most vulnerable (has the fewest gems in reserve). usually the boss tile is programmed to attack the strongest hero however, so as to balance that out. there are always objectives and events like the regular game, too, so it's not just about killing things.  These scenarios play faster and most use the new game boards by Modiphius so the play area is smaller. You are given the choice to play with 3 or 4 heroes (if you don't have that many players you assume control of more than one hero) and can choose whichever Heroes you like from a class system. this gives a lot of freedom as to which you use. You also accumulate gear, weapons, and spells as you go and have two mini 'level ups' throughout the 9 scenario (two of which are optional) campaign. Finally, there is a ranking system. You get victory points depending on how well you do in each scenario and at the end of the campaign you're assigned a rank from "Perfumed Fopp" to "Legend" Those who've played and tested had a blast and I loved writing it. I get new ideas for scenarios and campaigns every day, and these scenarios are less time consuming to write as player vs player balance isn't an issue. Making the scenario tight and fun is more easily adjusted. My hope is the community likes it enough to develop and share their own campaigns. Hope that provides some good info for you. 

• Thanks 1

@Matt John S thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate the details you shared. I sort of suspected that it would be a special set of rules. Nevertheless, I am really excited to see the campaign and hope that it proves popular enough to drive additional content, whether from you or the fans of the game. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Matt,

Is there any tangible schedule update that you can provide on this product? I appreciate it is not being developed by Monolith, but still...

Also, given that this "mode" requires specific scenarios written for it, what's your view on ease/complexity of converting existing official published scenarios into this "mode"?

• 2 weeks later...

The book is in editing currently. But I can't say when it will be out. It is done as far as the writing goes but requires time for editing and layout. 

Converting existing scenarios could be done, but it would take some effort. You're best off stealing ideas for use in your own coop scenarios. They're actually pretty easy to write compared to the competitive scenarios.