I can't stop!

Footballzs

I recently purchased the Corinthia Mythic Battles Crossover expansion and think the scenarios sound great, BUT, now I am considering purchasing the Mythic Battles: Pantheon core box just so I can have the miniatures for the Conan scenarios. This game really gets in your blood. 

My wallet is thinking of leaving me to make me stop:smile:

• Like 1

I pledged for the core game/god pledge which includes the KS exclusives. I also got the compendium/painting guide, some terrain, dice, and the extra game board. And of course, I ordered the Corinthia crossover! My love of the Conan game, and my addiction for collecting Conan stuff made me do it.  I received the package but since I’m overseas in Taiwan for awhile I haven’t been able to check it out yet. I started thinking that I would sell the non-Conan stuff on eBay, buuuuuuuut.... The game is getting such solid reviews, the Greek mythology has always been a favorite for me, and the minis look fantastic. So, I’ll probably keep it once I get home and have a look at it.

I totally agree that the Conan game really gets in the blood. My gaming crew is addicted. It’s basically all we ever play anymore! 

• Like 1

Yes I do have the Corinthia expansion. The scenarios sound good but I haven’t played them yet. There are 4:

1. “The Amazon’s Dragon” which is Conan and Zenobia against the Hydra, Medusa and Amazon miniatures. The aim is for the heroes to get away with Medusa’s head. Some interesting mechanics with Medusa’s petrifaction power.

2. “Conan’s Nightmare” which has Heracles, Leonidas and Achilles in a fevered dream of Conan’s where they are trying to stop Ares reaching Conan. They do this by trapping Medusa, the Giant Snake, Cerberus and the Minotaur into giant cages? Very trippy. Conan has only a passive role in this.

3. “For Murillo” where Conan, Shevatas and Odysseus have to steal gold coins from villagers and plant some incriminating evidence (political reasons) and escape. Trying to stop them are Heracles and Hoplites. If a hero is caught doing something wrong then the OL can add Achilles, Leonidas and the Spartans. The game includes drunken brawls, thieving children and distracting guards with beer. One of the ways the heroes lose money is being forced to buy a round for everyone! It should be noted that Heracles (Hercules) is the bartender.

4. “Queen of the Black Coast” where the Winged Ape is trying to kill Belit and Conan and N’Yaga or N’Gora (you choose) are there to protect her. To win the heroes must kill the Ape but also 20 Rabid Hyenas. An interesting mechanic is being able to push over marble columns to cross a river.

The scenarios sound a lot of fun and I will play them when I can. I have worked out proxy minis for all the MB:P core box characters but it would be nice to have the originals. It should be noted that scenario 3 uses the Inn map from Conan but the other three use MB:P maps. Luckily I picked them up on eBay (from France) for a very reasonable price.

I haven’t played them but they look very good.

Edited by Footballzs

Thanks for the description @Footballzs! They all sound interesting. I’m somewhat surprised however, since it appears from your description that someone would need Mythic Battles components to play any of the scenarios. From the description of the Corinthia expansion during the KickStarter campaign, it really seemed as if there would be at least 2 scenarios that wouldn’t require MB elements. Hmmm... Apparently I’ll be keeping my copy of Mythic Battles now! Lol!... A lot more miniature painting in my future I guess. C’est la vie! 

Another thing; I also thought that the Mythic designers were finding equivalent characters in the Conan world to use the miniatures for. I didn’t originally think that

Herecles and Medusa would be used as themselves. Interesting. 

I don’t think that Heracles and Medusa are themselves as such, just something very similar, they’re not really named except on the tiles. The exception is Conan’s Nightmare as it is all in Conan’s mind.

Re using alternatives, the hardest ones to proxy in my mind are Hydra and Medusa. The rest could be proxied by Conan models reasonably easily. The main reason you need to get MB:P is for the maps.

Note: these scenarios are not really canon, except Queen of the Black Coast (though I don’t really think the Ape is quite what Howard described:wink:).

• Like 1

Agreed on the Winged Ape @Footballzs. It’s a great sculpt, but not as supernatural and ghastly as I imagine from the text. I’d think that the dragon mini from Conan would work for Hydra? But perhaps you didn’t get that one? It’s also a far cry from the description in Red Nails, well sculpted but a silly design IMO. Medusa is a tougher proxy... hmm... Maybe the Forest Demon could work? Or else Akivasha I guess?

I just imagined Heracles as a bartender, would have to the best mannered bar in history, at least until Conan turned up :laugh:

Seriously, I am a worry, but I would hope that REH would appreciate my ‘humour’.

Oh, by the way, happy birthday Robert, born 112 years ago today and whose legacy lives on stronger than ever.

Now, if we could just get a decent movie (or Showcase series).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I ended up getting the MB:P base game figures so don't need to worry about proxying any more. I had a list of proxies at one stage, I'll see if I can find it, but I probably deleted it.

Edit: sorry, I no longer have it, but all the figures came from the Conan game. It should be noted that I have a King's Pledge and the 3 expansions.

Edited by Footballzs