Monolith.... Buffy?

Dangerousbeans

I love Conan. The system, quality, atmosphere...... It's amazing. I was lucky enough to get a demo of GCC tonight and it was fantastic. The streamlining of rules, addition of subtle changes to existing rules, it felt really fresh and felt different from Conan, despite being essentially the same. Great job!

I then got to talking with the monolith rep about possible future IPs that could work in this games system and one idea, in my mind, stood out above all others; Buffy.

Buffy would work amazingly well with this system and with enough to change the game to justify it, rather than just reskinning. It has some tech, magic, and an emphasis on teamwork that outweighs that of Conan or Bats. 

There's also a huge wealth of options. Each series of Buffy introduced so many memorable characters and locations..... the cemetery, the bronze, the school, the library, the initiative, Buffy's house, the hellmouth...... and so many great demons and "big bads". It could be expanded with Angel as well.

I genuinely believe that Buffy would make a wonderful setting for the system, and can't think of a better way to bring Buffy to the table top!

Anyone with me? I'm prepared to March on monolith HQ to get this made.

• Like 1

I do not deny that Buffy would fit well in THS. However personally I am against it.

It may  not be really wise from business stand point but I would prefer to reserve THS for Conan and Batman series only (so 2 franchises, 3 games for now). Mechanic works and is great, however I don't see myself buying more games based on it beyond Conan and Batman (I still have hard time buying Batman, since Conan with updated mechanic is coming next year). I would prefer to get new mechanics for future projects.

In that sense I really like how Mythic works: They made 3 games so far (Mythic Battles, Joann of Arc and now newly announced Solomon Kane), each with different mechanic.

16 minutes ago, Iesthir said:

In that sense I really like how Mythic works: They made 3 games so far (Mythic Battles, Joann of Arc and now newly announced Solomon Kane), each with different mechanic.

I think you make confusions. MB:P was produced by Monolith and created by Mythic Games (and now Monolith own the rights and will continue to devellop it). But for JoA and Solomon Kane there are Mythic Games only.
Conan and Batman are Monolith games.

And I am not sure that it's a bad idea to devellop THS through different games. Like for role playing game. The D20 system or Chaosium system are still the same, but different RPG use them.
We could see the differences between Batman and Conan and how the THS fit perfectly for the Gotham city chronicles with some improvements and changes. Not the same feeling than for Conan, and for both games a great feeling, a strong story-telling!

21 minutes ago, Doucefeuille said:

I think you make confusions. MB:P was produced by Monolith and created by Mythic Games (and now Monolith own the rights and will continue to devellop it). But for JoA and Solomon Kane there are Mythic Games only.
Conan and Batman are Monolith games.

No, I perfectly know what I'm talking about :smile: Mythic Games created all 3 games: Mythic Battles, Joann of Arc and Solomon Kane. They developed mechanic for all three of them, and instead evolving single mechanic, they made 3 vastly different, but smart and working mechanics (at least in MB:P and JoA. We can't say for sure about SK just yet). And that was my point.

Who produced the game (MB:P in that case) and who owns the rights to the game does not matter in this case. 

27 minutes ago, Doucefeuille said:

And I am not sure that it's a bad idea to devellop THS through different games. Like for role playing game. The D20 system or Chaosium system are still the same, but different RPG use them.
We could see the differences between Batman and Conan and how the THS fit perfectly for the Gotham city chronicles with some improvements and changes. Not the same feeling than for Conan, and for both games a great feeling, a strong story-telling!

I understand your point of view, but comparing RPG games to BoardGames in my opinion does not prove your point. Tabletop games are more constrained in their nature than RPG. In RPG mechanic is just tool to work your story with players, and in all RPG books I've read there is always sentence that says that DM may change/break rules if it fits his adventure/scene better. Can you imagine Overlord in Conan changing rules because it fit's him better? Not really, since in tabletop games rules have fundamentally different role.

Better analogy would be comparing THS games with computer games in my opinion. For example with FIFA (basically same game every year with slight changes in mechanic) or even better, Assassins Creed (different setting in every game but same mechanic with slight changes). I don't know if you played Assassins Creed but I did. And first 2-3 games were new and enjoyable then they became more and more boring in terms of gameplay...

2 hours ago, Iesthir said:

Who produced the game (MB:P in that case) and who owns the rights to the game does not matter in this case. 

It makes sense in this case, different company, different point of view ;)

2 hours ago, Iesthir said:

In RPG mechanic is just tool to work your story with players, and in all RPG books I've read there is always sentence that says that DM may change/break rules if it fits his adventure/scene better.

That's exactly how I see the THS, a tool. And around this tool we could tell different stories.
I think the difference between us is : I do not play a board game with a Conan theme. I play a Conan's story on a board game. In your analisys you forget the strong story-telling of these games.

On TO french forum where the community is strong and active since more than one year : you could see some OL adapting their play to the players team, some rules changes, new rules, some making their own scenarios, tiles, map, and above all of that : adaptating the THS to new environment and making cross-over (MBP is already in the rules, there is some fan made cross over : Blood rage, the Other: 7 sin, mice and mystics, zombicide or call to adaptating for Claustrophobia and full metal planet  ;) 

18 minutes ago, Arthadan said:

I agree with @Iesthir. When getting a new boardgame, try a new and exciting game system is always important. Personally, it would be hard for me to buy a game that is a "reskin" of another one I own.

I understand. It's the same for me for more light games.
But for big games, it's time consuming to learn/read/remember a big book of rules each time you play a different game. On such big game, in my side I see people sticking few differents games till it's boring, and then forget one when buying a new. With my players we do not wish to learn/remember x pages of rules before each play (like in RPG), we want to live a story. And having different environment/heros/vilains/scenarios/objectives/way to play with the same core system is a big plus, mainly for long play :D

The THS is not a classic board game. It has RPG and Wargaming parts in it.