Community Campaign Playtest Hub

42 minutes ago, Neil Amswych said:

Any scenario that comes after Fight or Flight also needs to have blurb for the Medallion. "If the heroes are holding the Medallion of Zhangpau..."

Alright, I will take care of that as well - thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Actually there is no Dark Demon in mine, unless the medallion works against the Outer Dark Demon as well?

Edited by Primeval

24 minutes ago, Footballzs said:

Hi all, I have finally finished my move. My games room is now clear of boxes (mostly) so I am hoping to get a game or two in this weekend. Sorry for not being part of this over the last few weeks but house moving takes up all your time!

Which scenario needs testing?

The most recent ones to make changes have been Fight or Flight and The Streets of Khemi. However it may be helpful if you start at the beginning and work your way through the entire campaign, as time allows, using the campaign rules. We haven't really tested those through the whole thing yet.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Footballzs said:

Hi all, I have finally finished my move. My games room is now clear of boxes (mostly) so I am hoping to get a game or two in this weekend. Sorry for not being part of this over the last few weeks but house moving takes up all your time!

No kidding! I hope you are settling in nicely and welcome back to play-testing! Really appreciate your help with this campaign.

I agree with @drmauric, they all need testing. I recommend checking out the campaign rules in the Whispers from Stygia PDF, but don't use the scenarios from that PDF. Most of them have been updated since then, but the updates have not made it to the PDF yet.

Ok, started the first scenario (The Time for Flight is Nigh) and am enjoying it so far. It has a different feel to the usual scenario, there is less out and out attack and kill but more “let’s slow them down”. As OL I am focussing on hindering rather than killing as 7 rounds is not really long enough to do that.

When I first set it up I used the Dark Demon card then realised it was the Evil Hound. A big difference otherwise Hadrathus would be trapped forever😊 The tile image in the scenario was in French and I didn’t realise until reading the special rules that it was the evil hound tile.

The heroes are really focussed on getting Hadrathus  to the various items. I have found that I don’t spend many gems as I am being very strategic. I have just finished turn 4 and hadrathus has gotten the key and spellbook and Shaun Miang has moved down 1 floor.

I made one stupid error as I moved Hadrathus down to level 3 but...embarrassing to admit...forgot to grab the key! I then wasted time having to go back and get it.

Sorry but I didn’t have as much time as I’d hoped to play. My wife keeps wanting me to do stuff...oh well what can one do?

Next update soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Footballzs Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the French language on the Evil Hound tile is a limitation of the Scenario Editor. I will see what I can do to make it more clear on my end and I will message the admin. of the editor to see if he might be able to change it. But good catch, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

• Like 1

I finished ‘The Time for Flight is Nigh’ and here are my thoughts.

The OL won, but I made some errors in play that contributed to this (it’s strange that when I play both sides and the OL wins I always feel I have lost even though I am also playing as the OL, there may be a thesis in there 😊).

I had picked up the key, spellbook and warlock documents but did not manage to open the chest, Hadrathus was in the space with the chest at the end of turn 7 but, because of one of my errors, did not have the key!

As mentioned in my previous post I didn’t spend a lot of gems. I found the scenario requires a lot of planning on how to move through levels and not necessarily to battle on the hero side, whereas the OL is looking at how to hinder. The scenario is easier for the OL in decision making than for the heroes. As OL I found my thoughts were focussed how do I stop them getting all the items.

The assassins being constantly reinforced is also an added complication that brings a lot to the scenario. The OL can use them to help with hindering, they are easy to kill but annoying.

Surprisingly not once did I have to have a hero go into cautious mode.

The Telekinesis spell is great, without it I would not have had a chance.

I personally think the scenario is well balanced, kudos on that, and if not for my errors, the heroes could have succeeded but it would still have been a close-run thing.

Now for ‘Fight or Flight’

(Victory points: OL 1, Heroes 0; carry forward items: Spellbook)

Edited by Footballzs
Grammar errors
  • Like 3

Just setting up for Fight or Flight. Two comments:

1. There is no mention of what to use to represent the Medallion. The Stygian Artifact?

2. There is an error with the Crossbowmen tile. You use the green tile but it shows the grey tile stats. The actual green tile has zero armour the one shown in the set up has one armour.

I will play this weekend and report back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 7:32 AM, Footballzs said:

Just setting up for Fight or Flight. Two comments:

1. There is no mention of what to use to represent the Medallion. The Stygian Artifact?

2. There is an error with the Crossbowmen tile. You use the green tile but it shows the grey tile stats. The actual green tile has zero armour the one shown in the set up has one armour.

I will play this weekend and report back.

1. Yes, exactly that.

2. There was an issue with things not being on the builder at the beginning. Use the ones with a Guard of 1.

Just finished Fight or Flight a win for the OL. I thought the heroes were looking good. One more turn and I think they would have made it off with the merchant, however the Dark Demon attacked the merchant and scored 8, 3 orange defence dice only managed 3 (that was all I had left in gems), mercifully the merchant didn’t feel a thing.

I almost made an error, I was about to activate the Dark Demon for a cost of 3 gems until I reread the Special Rules and realised I had to wait until it was at 1 gem. 

I picked up the medallion but didn’t need it in the end but if I had managed to escape I would gotten 2 Victory points, it was close. I missed out on Xuthal’s Crown as well.

Yogah, Ikhmet and Hadrathus copped 1 wound each, Shentu had 1 gem left and I ended up using Gift of Life to save him, but it didn’t make a difference as he wasn’t used again.

The heroes could have played it slightly differently and could have won so I am not concerned by balance. The game ended on round 8.

I made slight changes to the set up from your scenario. As mentioned the green tile is shown incorrectly so I used the grey tile, and, because there were so many grey minions, I used the purple tile for the Javelin Throwers.

A fun scenario.

After the second scenario the heroes have no Victory points, the OL has 3, carry forward item: the Spellbook.

Edited by Footballzs
  • Like 2

@Neil Amswych could I suggest a change of wording for the event: "The Dark Demon Arrives". The way it reads at the moment it could be taken to mean that it only costs 1 gem to activate at any time. To be clear that it can only be activated when it is in the far left space maybe use something like this:

"The OL cannot activated the event tile until it has flowed (floated?) down to the first space (1 gem). When this tile...."

I think this makes it a bit clearer. 

Edited by Footballzs
Grammatical fixes.
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 7:41 AM, Footballzs said:

Just finished Fight or Flight a win for the OL. I thought the heroes were looking good. One more turn and I think they would have made it off with the merchant, however the Dark Demon attacked the merchant and scored 8, 3 orange defence dice only managed 3 (that was all I had left in gems), mercifully the merchant didn’t feel a thing.

I almost made an error, I was about to activate the Dark Demon for a cost of 3 gems until I reread the Special Rules and realised I had to wait until it was at 1 gem. 

I picked up the medallion but didn’t need it in the end but if I had managed to escape I would gotten 2 Victory points, it was close. I missed out on Xuthal’s Crown as well.

Yogah, Ikhmet and Hadrathus copped 1 wound each, Shentu had 1 gem left and I ended up using Gift of Life to save him, but it didn’t make a difference as he wasn’t used again.

The heroes could have played it slightly differently and could have won so I am not concerned by balance. The game ended on round 8.

I made slight changes to the set up from your scenario. As mentioned the green tile is shown incorrectly so I used the grey tile, and, because there were so many grey minions, I used the purple tile for the Javelin Throwers.

A fun scenario.

After the second scenario the heroes have no Victory points, the OL has 3, carry forward item: the Spellbook.

Perfect. If you go for Xuthal's Crown and the Medallion it becomes a tough scenario. But if you don't get them, the final scenarios are harder. The really hard thing in that scenario is protecting the merchant. It's all about timing, especially letting the Crossbowmen do their thing and then dashing for the merchant. 

I will look at the wording for the DD.

Interesting that the heroes are 0-2. Since the first campaign is generally felt to be too easy for the heroes, it's nice to have something tough. My scenario was definitely designed to be tough.

Thanks for testing it.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just played scenario three The Fate of Yag-Kosha. Wow what a ride! The heroes won, but only just. Ikhmet dropped the idol into the fire at the end of turn 8. The heroes had basically nothing left and it was an incredibly close thing. Having said that the OL had it tough as well.

The heroes were unlucky in that the idol was only found in the last chest. It may have been very different if found earlier. The idol was in area 3 and the OL spent most of the time blocking the way with the Scorpion Broodmother. The heroes spent a lot of gems attacking it and the OL defending it. It was a game of attrition toward the end.

The events were clever and could change things drastically depending how they are used.

I killed the giant scorpions early so the antidotes were useless when I found them. The heroes had to get them out of the way because the OL was using them to hinder. The rock slides and bat swarm event made it tough moving around, and hindering by the OL made it even harder.

A well thought out scenario that had a bit of everything; attacking, defending, hindering, searching and strategy. The only thing missing was stealth.

I had one problem, I kept forgetting that Yag had an extra yellow die!

One question: the scenario says that Shentu has 2 Khitan swords, I only had one card, is that an error?

Also “Carried by the wind” should be “Borne by the Wind”.

So after 3 scenarios, heroes 1 and OL 3.

Edited by Footballzs
Error
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback - and the prooofreading, I will make the changes if I can, but I think the spell names are set in the scenario editor. I think I gave Shentu 2 Khitan swords so the heroes would have some more firepower, I should write in something about using something else to stand in for the second card. I should also write in some suggestion for noting the extra yellow die you mentioned.

Glad you enjoyed the scenario!

Edited by Primeval
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Primeval said:

Thanks for the feedback - and the prooofreading, I will make the changes if I can, but I think the spell names are set in the scenario editor. I think I gave Shentu 2 Khitan swords so the heroes would have some more firepower, I should write in something about using something else to stand in for the second card. I should also write in some suggestion for noting the extra yellow die you mentioned.

Glad you enjoyed the scenario!

The ‘Sword’ has the same stats as the ‘Khitan Sword’ so you could use that.

With the extra yellow die I ended up putting a yellow die on his melee attack space to remind me.

I played Dreams of Atali. I’m not sure about this one. I didn’t really know how to play this. The winning conditions were unusual and I went in to the game without really knowing how it would go. The heroes ended up winning but it was much closer than I would have thought at some stages of the game. At the start of turn 10 I had all the heroes, the Frost Giants and 1 Vanir Warrior in the zone with Atali. Thoth Amon managed to move all the miniatures except one which meant the heroes won.

However, thinking about now, I think I may have erred in my play as I didn’t consider moving Atali with Push Back. If I had realised that then the OL probably would have won.

I spent a few turns biding my time, both as hero and OL, waiting for Atali to show up. I didn’t mind as I like having ‘restful’ turns but I could see that some players wouldn’t appreciate it.

The heroes managed to get both Giants and it didn’t seem that difficult, however the OL did have trouble killing the heroes and allies, he had terrible Lightning Storm attacks.

Also I ran out of red gems, with bonus gems and hearts I was 2 short, I ended up using tokens for the last 2.

I suggest that you put info on using the Vanir Warriors as allies in the set up info. It took me time to work out who those 4 additional characters were in the hero starting zone. I also recommend listing Thoth Amon’s Spells in the set up info, not just in the Special Rules. I prefer finding out what I need from the set up

A couple of grammatical errors, in the third special rule “Smoking Hearts for Ymir’s Board” add the word ‘neither’ before “the command ability” and change the word ‘is’ to ‘it’ in the fifth line of this condition (after ‘places’).

Overall I think this is an interesting scenario, but one I would have to play a few times to really understand the tactics needed.

After 4 scenarios, Heroes 2 - OL 3 (carry forward item Spellbook), the heroes also carried forwards one unused bonus gem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1