Matt John S

Community Campaign Playtest Hub

@drmauric This is good to hear!

I had to put Conan on the back burner for a little while to avoid risking burnout (I play-tested my two scenarios A LOT). When I am recharged, I plan on play-testing the campaign in order. I just need to go back and revisit our campaign rules (a community gem carryover mechanic, if I recall correctly). 

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

Hey guys,

I played through Dreams of Atali a couple times this week. It is a solid scenario with a number of pretty cool elements. Next up is The Streets of Khemi, which means I will have played through them all. I am stoked about the quality of these scenarios! Especially the unique way a lot of components are being used. The hidden merchant tokens, jumping from fortress walls because you're wacked out on lotus fumes, Frost Giant allies!?!, and multi map boards. Things are looking good to me!

How is it going for all of you? 

@Matt John S @Primeval @Neil Amswych @Ken

Yeah I’m enjoying the idea of getting high and jumping off a wall. Remember kids, drugs are baaaad, m’kay?

Fight or Flight is done. It was all but impossible if the heroes went for the Medallion. The one thing I’m not mad about is that I didn’t include Hadrathus’ spell book and I know he had it before and has it afterwards. I may add something to the opening blurb suggesting it got damaged, and then later the implication could be that he got a new one, or repaired it?

Busy week but hopefully next week I’ll solo playtest another scenario. What’s this I see about Frost Giant allies? Think I might check that out.

is there anyone who is unhappy with their scenario and wants testing and feedback?

Well the idea of the jumping off the wall is more that the character is suddenly overcome with lotus fumes and some kind of magic left behind by Yara, and this makes the character think they have wings like Yag Kosha did at one time, and they jump thinking they can fly with these wings, part of the whole fortress as foe thing. If it doesnt come across that way I can always change it. The outcome of this event is sure to annoy any player anyway.

• Like 1

@Ken I think the community gems kind of slipped through the cracks. We never really finalized that idea. I'll go back through the other thread post a summary of outstanding issues like the gems, crowns, and leveling up in the over there so we can move toward finalizing some of these ideas. But no pressure! I have the time and motivation now so that's why you guys are hearing a lot from me. Please don't burn out on Conan. 🙂

@Neil Amswych

Ok, poor choice of wording. My apologies. 

FYI I did test Fight or Flight with the spellbook and I was having similar results to what you were having. So you do what you feel is best, but in my opinion the spellbook certainly doesn't knock things out of balance.

@Primeval

Sorry for misrepresenting your event. It doesn't come across in the way I stated. It's a great mechanic and has exactly the effect you desire. The fortress being a foe and annoying the player.

Edited by drmauric
changed my mind about something
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Primeval said:

Well the idea of the jumping off the wall is more that the character is suddenly overcome with lotus fumes and some kind of magic left behind by Yara, and this makes the character think they have wings like Yag Kosha did at one time, and they jump thinking they can fly with these wings, part of the whole fortress as foe thing. If it doesnt come across that way I can always change it. The outcome of this event is sure to annoy any player anyway.

Don't change it at all. I think it's great.

For consistency sake, if the spellbook CAN stay in your scenario, @Neil Amswych, as @drmauric suggests, then I say it stays. It would be better to maintain that consistency. As a player, I would probably resent the one scenario that removed my favorite item. But that's just me. You have the say on that, ultimately. 

I've been very busy working my multiple jobs and my gameplay time has been focused on Imaginarium as I'll be running that campaign as well. Not to mention I've been editing the next compendium volumes for English and also have to tackle the Batman rulebook. So Conan is on the backburner for me only because it has to be. 

2 hours ago, Matt John S said:

For consistency sake, if the spellbook CAN stay in your scenario, @Neil Amswych, as @drmauric suggests, then I say it stays. It would be better to maintain that consistency. As a player, I would probably resent the one scenario that removed my favorite item. But that's just me. You have the say on that, ultimately. 

I've been very busy working my multiple jobs and my gameplay time has been focused on Imaginarium as I'll be running that campaign as well. Not to mention I've been editing the next compendium volumes for English and also have to tackle the Batman rulebook. So Conan is on the backburner for me only because it has to be. 

I playtested it so many times without the spell book because I didn’t realize it was going to be in later scenarios. Seriously, I’ve tested this at least 25 times. I’m not sure so can play it again. If someone else wants to add the spell

book and make suggestions for balancing it for the OL as well (it already now leans towards the heroes without the book) then I could try one or two more times.

Or, the third scenario’s narrative can have him find a new spell book beforehand. The point of scenario 2 was that they had already met the Dark Demon and nearly lost since the last scenario.

Your call but I really don’t have it in me to test this many more times.

14 hours ago, Neil Amswych said:

I playtested it so many times without the spell book because I didn’t realize it was going to be in later scenarios. Seriously, I’ve tested this at least 25 times. I’m not sure so can play it again. If someone else wants to add the spell

book and make suggestions for balancing it for the OL as well (it already now leans towards the heroes without the book) then I could try one or two more times.

Or, the third scenario’s narrative can have him find a new spell book beforehand. The point of scenario 2 was that they had already met the Dark Demon and nearly lost since the last scenario.

Your call but I really don’t have it in me to test this many more times.

@Neil Amswych I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT make any changes. You are happy with it and it sounds like you are done with it, so that's great.

Winning and losing in yours is dependent on many other factors besides 3 extra gems for Hadrathus. For example, as we discussed privately, if the Merchant shows up too soon he is a pin cushion for the archers. Hadrathus' spellbook can't change that. 🙂  

So, my recommendation, leave it alone. It will be fine.

I would definitely rather leave it if possible. Can we write into the introductory text of scenario number 3 that it takes place after he finds a new book?

1 hour ago, Neil Amswych said:

I would definitely rather leave it if possible. Can we write into the introductory text of scenario number 3 that it takes place after he finds a new book?

@Neil Amswych 

Scenario 3 already has the Spellbook written into it. So no alterations are necessary.

I think if you leave it off the equipment list and out of the special rules for your scenario folks will know what to do.

And rather than cluttering the narrative with spellbook instructions, like I said, it's included in the scenario 3 equipment list and special rules so folks will know what to do there as well.

🙂

• Like 1

Yeah I just mean literally one sentence of something like “... and Hadrathus, who has now replaced his spell book...”

if @Matt John S insists that Hadrathus have the book in the second adventure, we’ll have to work out how to put it in. Personally, I like Fight or Flight to put the heroes on the back foot somewhat.

Your call, boss.

I don't know that the spellbook needs to be explained really - there is a pretty good gap between scenarios where equipment could have been changed during the travelling time.  I kind of like the flow of my intro as is, so would find some other way to explain the spellbook if needed.

Also, I changed the event "Crushing Burden" slightly - I made the movement value "0" instead of the exertion limit "1"; this way the hero can spend gems to move through extraordinary effort. It will still be be tough to deal with, but I think this makes for more heroic potential.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 8:07 PM, Neil Amswych said:

If someone else wants to add the spell book and make suggestions for balancing it for the OL as well (it already now leans towards the heroes without the book) then I could try one or two more times...

@Neil Amswych I know I am a little late to this conversation, but I am fine with excluding the spellbook in your scenario. Adding the spellbook to The Streets of Khemi shifted the balance of power from the Overlord to the Heroes. I compensated by adding a second demon, but I think it is still skewed toward the Heroes (within acceptable levels). I can't imagine what would happen with a scenario that already favored the Heroes. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Matt John S said:

The spellbook really doesn't matter. If it's at all an issue, keep it out the Neil's scenario. It most definitely doesn't warrant any of the flavor text changing. 

Okey doke. Then Fight or Flight is done.