Kickstarter Follow Frenzy

I agree that was the best comment section I've been a part of (although it's only my second KS campaign). It's been a blast kicking it with you guys the last month, I hope to see you guys more here in the overlord. Unfortunately I probably won't see y'all in another KS any time soon, as I've used up all the funds I had for that for the year, but this is certainly an experience I won't forget!

• Like 2

I’d like to echo the sentiment. I know I called you all my heros in my first comment. And while that was mostly just to join in the fun, it’s kinda true. I’ve never seen a comment section be so much fun. 

This was my first major kickstarter campaign and while i always planned to get the game, I had figured I’d pledge and then be done. Watching the comment section evolve was amazing. I wish I had joined in from the start instead of waiting until halfway through. 

It was weird being the fly in the wall. I felt a part of everything even though I wasn’t. But I knew I wanted to be, so I joined in. 

Thanks for all the fun. I can’t wait for it to continue. Hopefully we can have fun and help this next year go by faster. 

I may see some of you around Kickstarter. I’m new to boardgaming and need to build my collection. And I may be kinda addicted now....  hopefully my finances can keep up. Anyone know where I can sell a kidney....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JokemanJim said:

may see some of you around Kickstarter. I’m new to boardgaming and need to build my collection. And I may be kinda addicted now....  hopefully my finances can keep up. Anyone know where I can sell a kidney....

If you lack self control, this is an awful habit to start.  I would also suggest staying at least 200 miles clear of Indianapolis during GenCon :)

But seriously, my advice would be to try to be somewhat selective, even as you’re getting started.  There’s always new games coming out every year, so that collection can grow quickly if you’re not budgeting yourself carefully and/or using some restraint.  I know there’s some games early on that I was on the fence about and ended up being ‘okay’ but rarely play anymore.

Another tip...if you’re one that tends to buy online instead of local game shops, CoolStuffInc and MiniatureMarket are two I’ve used in the past that have good sales and generally have low prices likely due to bulk discounts from manufacturers, although I’m sure there’s more companies like that out there.  Speaking of CSI, they’ve got a sale through today on Century: Golem Edition (its a reskinning of Century: Spice Road, but I like the components/art better on this one).  It’s like Splendor with more of an engine building mechanic.  Highly recommended.

Edited by PiGuy
  • Like 1

I haven't done many Kickstarters, this would be my third. I got burnt badly by one a few years ago (money taken but no product) and stayed well away. But was drawn back by Hate and totally won over by this game, cause batman just rules.

A couple of upcoming campaigns intrigue me, but I may have to let hellboy pass and replenish my funds.

• Like 1

Like Torgo, I’m intrigued by the remake of Fireball Island (I also have nieces/nephews that would enjoy playing that one).

But, yeah, KS has been pretty uneven for me.  Never as bad as not getting something, but one was delayed two years or so.  In general, a company like Monolith that’s done this before should be pretty safe—there could always be slight delays, but they’ve been through the process already and know what to expect.

Start up companies doing their first game are more of a gamble—-I’ve had great experiences (Two Rooms and a Boom, for instance) and horrible ones.  In almost all cases with start ups, assume at least a few months of delay.  Seems like there’s always unforeseen complications.

I have 12 kickstarters still on there way. I’ve recently received six others and half of them were disappointments when it came to components. I’m definitly cutting back this year, running out of room to put all of them and not going to sell any of my games except a few small ones I plan to give to family. I plan on backing Fireball Island: Curse of Vul Kar, me and my best friend growing up use to play the original.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Torgo said:

I figured I'd give the comments section a shot and see how it'd go.

Me too! My wife was pretty annoyed in the end. "It's Batman on the phone, reading the Batman comics, everything is Batman now!"

I told her not to worry. It will all be over when I've read all the comics (untill April next year), painted the minis, played everything through and through and finally get bored playing it......

Unless....

There's a second KS with expansions :-P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PiGuy said:

But seriously, my advice would be to try to be somewhat selective, even as you’re getting started.  There’s always new games coming out every year, so that collection can grow quickly if you’re not budgeting yourself carefully and/or using some restraint.  I know there’s some games early on that I was on the fence about and ended up being ‘okay’ but rarely play anymore.

That is very true. I cut back the last few months. I simply ran out of room to keep them. And these miniature KS campaigns when you go all in come in big boxes - sometimes up to 3 or 4 packed big boxes! And as you said, they barely receive any play time.

A campaign like Batman I consider a life-time opportunity, so I wouldn’t miss it. But I used to back every miniatures game that looked somewhat interesting no matter how generic it was. Those I tend to stay away from now - such as Escape from Dulce.

Edited by SolidRoar

5 hours ago, Karras Merrin said:

I haven't done many Kickstarters, this would be my third. I got burnt badly by one a few years ago (money taken but no product) and stayed well away. But was drawn back by Hate and totally won over by this game, cause batman just rules.

A couple of upcoming campaigns intrigue me, but I may have to let hellboy pass and replenish my funds.

I can vouch for Batman: GCC because I played Conan and love it. Don’t worry, you won’t be disappointed.

You learn what has true potential and which projects reek of inevitable disappointment after a period of constant backing. Pacific Rim, for instance, had enough red flags to warn you that you should steer away from it. Whilst other projects, even before they go live, you find people are anticipating and they back them in droves. Zombicide: Invader comes to mind, of course, but even new ones like Arena: The Contest. In the case of the latter, it’s obvious that the project owner was able to garner hobbyists’ interest way before the KS began. He managed to earn their respect and interest and showed initiative. Now I’m not saying it’s a sure hit, but at the very least he did much more than the bare minimum to earn that initial trust.

So just learn to do a decent amount of research about the project and the designer’s background before jumping in to back it. (Then just relax and enjoy what’s coming! 😜)

• Thanks 1

I've only backed this and Nemesis. I do have the kickstarter version of rising sun as well. I'm pretty selective with this stuff. I've been into the hobby for a bit over two years now, and even being pretty self controlled getting new games I have some games I really like that aren't getting played much, I've decided to try slowing down on getting new games for a while, instead I want to focus on getting expansions for games I have, and then getting into painting and playing the ones I have. For example I have a game called Fireteam Zero that I love but have only gotten to play a couple times, I'd like to play that and others I have more.

• Like 1

Kickstarter is game crack. I have 9 games i'm waiting for (i did $550  worth of games this March... a lot of saving beforehand). I have 6 other regular players in my game group and 4 of them all back KS games too. A good portion of the games we play have come from Kickstarters now.

Then i go and hear Monolith will reprint Mythic Battles (I couldn't afford the 1st print) and my wallet cried out in severe pain...

42 minutes ago, Narenek said:

Kickstarter is game crack.

This is why I've learnt to just not go on it unless there is a specific game I want to back. I find it easier to regret missing a game completely then beating myself up over not being able to get all the ones I want whilst they're ongoing.

Re: MB:P it's something I really want but I can't see myself being able to afford it, especially after GCC. I'm lucky that I have friend who did back it originally and will get the extra content, but he also gets about 10 new games a month, so getting him to play an old one is a challenge...

5 hours ago, K4rl Dntch said:

There's a second KS with expansions :-P

You're doomed, my friend.

9 hours ago, PiGuy said:

If you lack self control, this is an awful habit to start.  I would also suggest staying at least 200 miles clear of Indianapolis during GenCon :)

Actually, you should all go to Gen Con this year.  After all, I'll be there. 

Oh, and Monolith will have this game there.  I guess that's another reason to go.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Torgo said:

Actually, you should all go to Gen Con this year.  After all, I'll be there. 

Oh, I will be.  Been there the last 4-5 years.  I’m only a few hours away and grew up near Indy.  It’s awesome.  But, if you’re into board games and have no impulse control, it’s like crack for a drug addict.  So much to look at and potentially buy.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:36 PM, Torgo said:

To be serious for a second, I've never had as much fun in a KS comments section as I did with this one.

I typically don't get involved in the comments sections of these games because they so often devolve into nothing but people's wish lists.  However, for this campaign, I figured I'd give the comments section a shot and see how it'd go.

And while this campaign did have it's fair share of wish-listers, overall, it really surpassed all of my expectations.  Whether people loved me, hated me, or merely tolerated me, I had a blast.  As a bonus, I got to meet a lot of you awesome people along the way.  So, yay!

I mean, not even the full might of Germany could keep me away.  It was that much fun!

I will also say that I'll never forget the night that Batcow was announced.  I was sitting on the couch with my wife waiting for the newest episode of The Walking Dead to come on.  I saw the announcement on my phone, yelled in triumph, and nearly jumped off of the couch.  My wife looked at me like I was a madman.  It was great.  It was even better to go to the comments section in that moment and celebrate with you guys.

Anyway, all of this to say, thanks to all of you who made the comments section so awesome throughout this campaign.  I hope to see you all in many more KS campaigns to come, including what I hope will be the inevitable expansion to this game.

End rambling.

Same here my man. I was the same way.  Not a big commentator but you all have the same sense of humor as me so I joined in and had the best time of any ks.  Thx. 

• Like 2

Last year I bought too many, so far I have three that I wasn't to thrilled about. But some are coming that I can't wait for like Village Attacks, Clash of Rage, Too Many Bones: Undertow, Wander: the Cult of Barnacle Bay, and Sonic: Battle Racers. Of course without question Batman: GCC.

This was my first kickstarter but I own 30+ board games (Which isn't a lot considering some people I know the professional board game designer is the worst). My best advise is rulebooks I wont buy anything without knowing how the game works first and more importantly if my wife and I would enjoy it.

We've made a few mistakes on impulse buys with Arkham Horror (I like it my, wife hates it) and Firefly (not enough player interaction).  But Ive gotten to the point where I can read most things and go yup thats worth having.  But learning what you like and don't like takes time.

27 minutes ago, NickC said:

This was my first kickstarter but I own 30+ board games (Which isn't a lot considering some people I know the professional board game designer is the worst). My best advise is rulebooks I wont buy anything without knowing how the game works first and more importantly if my wife and I would enjoy it.

We've made a few mistakes on impulse buys with Arkham Horror (I like it my, wife hates it) and Firefly (not enough player interaction).  But Ive gotten to the point where I can read most things and go yup thats worth having.  But learning what you like and don't like takes time.

Surprisingly at this time I only own 31 games and I’ve been collecting over 10 years. I use to have more Euros but now it’s mostly Ameritrash, minis and dice. My wife dislikes my hobby and hopes my kids don’t end up liking it, so I mostly buy just because I want it. Good thing she doesn’t have any say as long as her and the kids have food, shelter, and clothing otherwise I’d have no hobby.

The KS addiction is real.

I got back into the board game hobby less than two years ago and my collection has exploded from maybe 10 games to 60 (That number includes expansions).  Of those, I have roughly 5 games that I want to get rid of.  However, I also currently have 10 games (including this one) that will be coming over the course of the next year through KS/online pre-order.  Of course, that doesn't include the other KS campaigns I'll inevitably back this year or purchases from Amazon/Miniature Market that I'll make.

I think that I need to start seeing a counselor about my gaming addiction.

I've been tabletop gaming for nearly 30 years (yeah I'm an old man but I started young, honest). Only started getting in to board games the last few years. Up to then it was mainly Warhammer fantasy battle, Undead and dark elf armies (this new AoS crap can do one). Never went for 40k, loved the fluff just didn't get into the game. As for other tabletop stuff I've a bolt action army, a Crusader warband for Saga, a couple bloodbowl teams. Some frostgave warbands and loads of x-wing. 

I have mostly bought my stuff in my local gaming store. I can even remember phoning orders  to GW from the catalogue in the back of White Dwarf (now I do feel old). 

So im relatively new to this Kickstarter thing, it was a movement templates and counters for x wing campaign that burnt me a few years ago (4/5 years and nothing, so that money is gone). While I did keep an eye on what was coming out that experience soured me to kickstarter. But I'm sure Monolith won't let me down and result in kickstarter becoming the latest way to feed my plastic crack addiction.

thank god ive an understanding wife who's main concern is just where am I going to store all my gaming gear 😂 

Edited by Karras Merrin

I can never stay on the KS comments too much, I tend to stick to the Updates comments section because it is much more manageable. I think I would spend more money on KS if they had a proper forum system. That being said, as an Aussie gamer I tend to lose the good discussions because they happen while I am not watching, and the "history" is kinda dead in the main comment thread.

I am hoping that between BGG and here, there will be a lot of Batman Juice (eww) to keep us going for the next 14 months.