https://the-overlord.com/FilesMBP/MBP-Reprint_Banniere_Forum.jpg

drmauric

The Weight of Years (Conan Fan Fiction)

Gentlemen and Otherwise,

I have tried my hand at some Conan fan fiction and I would love for you to read it and let me know what you think!

The Weight of Years is a short story featuring an aging King Conan in the midst of a bout of "gigantic melancholy" and reflecting back through his past experiences.

Thank you!

Dan

The Weight of Years .pdf

Edited by drmauric
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished it. I really loved it.

The King on his throne, with wine and his sword made me think of Colette's miniature and of that picture, obviously:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

I wondered if you had it in mind too, when you set the scene. I liked the way you used the items of your description to summon memories of the King. It was a very evocative and vivid story.

I like the idea of an old Conan, still strong, but whose health is fading away due to his age. It recalls me Cohen the Barbarian, even if in your story, the melancholia isn't due to the changes of the world, like it is in Troll's Bridge, but merely to the age.

I guess it works well, because we can all picture ourselves having the same thoughts as Conan, being old, looking back, weighing our lives, struggling with our memories, no matter good or bad.

Neat, neat story. Kudos! I'd love to read more of them.

Thanks for sharing it!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Not Quite Dead said:

Just finished it. I really loved it.

The King on his throne, with wine and his sword made me think of Colette's miniature and of that picture, obviously:

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

I wondered if you had it in mind too, when you set the scene. I liked the way you used the items of your description to summon memories of the King. It was a very evocative and vivid story.

I like the idea of an old Conan, still strong, but whose health is fading away due to his age. It recalls me Cohen the Barbarian, even if in your story, the melancholia isn't due to the changes of the world, like it is in Troll's Bridge, but merely to the age.

I guess it works well, because we can all picture ourselves having the same thoughts as Conan, being old, looking back, weighing our lives, struggling with our memories, no matter good or bad.

Neat, neat story. Kudos! I'd love to read more of them.

Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me.

I did indeed have Colette's painting in mind. As well as Truman and Giorello's King Conan (from Dark Horse).

I am not familiar with Cohen or Troll's Bridge. I'll have to look into those.

36 minutes ago, Longbowman said:

Outstanding!  I nice insight into the some of the troubles that weighed heavily on his brow.  Well done!

Thank you for reading! I appreciate your comments.

You're welcome, @drmauric!

1 hour ago, drmauric said:

I am not familiar with Cohen or Troll's Bridge. I'll have to look into those.

Cohen the Barbarian is a character made by Terry Pratchett. The short story Troll's Bridge tells how Cohen, growing old but still looking for challenges travels to a half-forgotten bridge kept by a dangerous troll. It's a great story (one of my favourite ever), with comedy and melancholia. A must read, in my opinion.

• Like 1