Heroquest

Not Quite Dead

My brother is, indeed, a lucky devil. He's found, two weeks ago, in a flea market, a European box of Heroquest, along with two extensions (Karak Varn and Return of the Sorceror). It is like-new, nothing is missing, and it costed him around 5$.

We've spent last Sunday playing and painting it with his girlfriend, my wife and my son.

DSCN2342.thumb.JPG.d59f66ed485ad1ce934720851a9b74c5.JPG  DSCN2341.thumb.JPG.901ec2c0f523a36fa5b8d2690955e4a9.JPG

DSCN2349.thumb.JPG.a40d40ae0159adfac56be2112960f7b1.JPG  DSCN2351.thumb.JPG.51f5308e3d30089bcd70a11080197277.JPG

07052017.thumb.JPG.1b11841145f90c75a00953c7aae9b1c3.JPG

It was quite pleasant to paint together (I usually paint alone). The goblins are, of course, still WIP, but it goes fast. Maybe the Heroquest miniatures will be painted much faster than those from Conan... As long as we can meet on a regular basis.

What about you? Do you still play at it, by nostalgia? Do you keep it in a display case, defended by security agents?

Edited by Not Quite Dead
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This afternoon, my brother and his girlfriend called at our home, and we played the second scenario: The Rescue of Sir Ragnar.

DSCN2454.thumb.JPG.8cd6861689064cce40c4083a2b5e76b9.JPGDSCN2457.thumb.JPG.07a579d6fca9c6a6a035d2e99d418f9a.JPG

DSCN2459.thumb.JPG.9ca23f98a57bbefa062e5224c21c1548.JPG DSCN2461.thumb.JPG.dedca1b85378d73b6800c923802c3741.JPG

It was a tensed (but enjoyable) game, as the heroes still don't have any equipment. As the Barbarian, I was badly wounded by goblins (!) and had only one remaining hit point at the end of the game. The many random encounters when looking for treasures were quite a problem too. My son, playing the elf, spent a nice afternoon too, even though he's still too afraid to get wounded to be a reliable partner. :dry:

After the game, we all take brushes and started painting. Now working on the remaining Chaos Warriors and the Fimirs.

071517.thumb.JPG.898f49006796bee7436137207762c4ea.JPG

Edited by Not Quite Dead
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, the memories! Thank you for this!

When I was young (30 years ago?), I had played this, but only from borrowed copies. Around 10 years ago, I finally bought mine, together with all the expansions, pretty proud that I finally owned it! And then I decided to teach my wife how to play. After one game her comment was "It's nice... but that Wizard is pretty useless, isn't he?" I laughed at this comment... And never played the game again.

Ah, well. I'll teach her Conan now. I'm sure she'll like it more.

Cheerio

John

• Like 1

Well, the fact that the spell casters can cast only one spell of each kind during the mission makes the Enchanter pretty weak, in my mind too. A shame to have this complete set of Heroquest sleeping in the basement, though. But maybe it's in a display case, where the best parts of our childhoods should be. :sleep:

I haven't painted much Heroquest these recent days, but during the end of the summer, my wife managed to finish the fimirs miniatures.

Here they are, fighting the first painted hero:

DSCN2531.thumb.JPG.ed3612dc538897e711c1e81f9ebe1cf1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Xaltotun: If you show us your pictures, I'll show pictures of unspeakable things I made from those mini when I was a teenage boy and when I used to convert miniatures. Goblins armed with gigantic knives! Ambidextrous Orcs! And one thousand elephants!

On a different topic, here's a kinda funny video I just saw about Heroquest:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, Not Quite Dead said:

@Xaltotun: If you show us your pictures, I'll show pictures of unspeakable things I made from those mini when I was a teenage boy and when I used to convert miniatures. Goblins armed with gigantic knives! Ambidextrous Orcs! And one thousand elephants!

On a different topic, here's a kinda funny video I just saw about Heroquest:

As I'm at my parents I'll make some...

Believe me, horrible works from a 13 years old boy...

Edited by Xaltotun
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I don't play this anymore. I tried getting my 11-year old son interested in it, but after he made a bad decision to split the party, he lost pretty horribly and do not want to touch it again. Sigh...

Two lessons:

1) If you want people to like a game, don't destroy them utterly.

2) See number 1)

I have picked up painting minis again after a hiatus of 25 years, and back, then I only ever painted, what, 5 or 6 minis. After getting Conan and Mythic Battles, I just needed to begin again. So I am practicing (slowly) on some of the HeroQuest minis.

I am on my second skeleton, which will be very different from the first one. Then I will experiment on the fimirs, trying to learn how to paint skin of various hues. And then I think I will be ready to begin painting maybe Mythic Battles.

Chaos Warrior 01 - back.png

Chaos Warrior 01 - front.png

Mummy 01 - back.png

Mummy 01 - front.png

Skeleton 01.png

• Like 2

Neat, @Uthin! Looking forward for more paintjobs of these good old mini. I love what you've done to suggest the spirit inside the Chaos Warrior helmet (what colors did you use?), and the blood splashes on the skeleton. Did you use a toothbrush? I kinda suck at splashing them right.

On my side, I had much pleasure painting this miniature, but it was quite stressful too.

20180624.thumb.png.12e184c564221f14f056025d7998abd1.png

First of all, it was my first try at painting stone properly. (In that regard, I was glad to use this excellent tutorial.)

Secondly, I'm quite new at painting those shining eyes you can see on some MBP gods paintjobs. I am not really happy with the result on this one, but it will do the trick on the board.

Third, the OSL. That's quite difficult for me. I cried while watching that tutorial, and then I went on my own. It's better than what I did on Hadrathus, but there's way for improvement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...