Olgred Scoffs at Your Lack of Unibrow

18 minutes ago, Epaka said:

@garbetsp: Nice work! He’s definitely got a lot of character in his face. I really haven’t developed the skill (or patience) yet to work in such minute details with my mini painting efforts. 

Well the face really didn't take much effort. It's mostly just inks and thinned flesh paint treated the same as the rest of his exposed body. The only thing that was difficult was the eyes. I think they're the best I've done yet. I have a 10/0 brush, that's old and missing half the bristles so it's really a 20/0. I've been looking at eyes in photo stills and realized they've never dead white, but really a light shade of grey. So I used my lightest grey to put horizontal strokes across the eyes. Then for the blacks of the eye. I was incredibly steady and tried to hit the top middle of the whites with black and bend down slightly with the brush. I have poor depth perception so most of the attempts I completely missed getting the brush all the way to the miniature. Eventually I realized just keep going till I see the brush bend (which appeared as if I'd shoved the paintbrush through his face to my skewed vision).

I used Smoky Ink (Vallejo) for the eyebrows as well and messed up, realized it looked like a Slavic eyebrow and then did the other side to match. The only real disappointment I have is the primer went on grainy, and the end model is kinda grainy. It was a 100 degrees that day. Apparently, you should never primer in the heat of summer.

What colors did you use for that brown flesh on the right? It's coming up soon in my painting efforts, and I really like those tones.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, garbetsp said:

Well the face really didn't take much effort. It's mostly just inks and thinned flesh paint treated the same as the rest of his exposed body. The only thing that was difficult was the eyes. I think they're the best I've done yet. I have a 10/0 brush, that's old and missing half the bristles so it's really a 20/0. I've been looking at eyes in photo stills and realized they've never dead white, but really a light shade of grey. So I used my lightest grey to put horizontal strokes across the eyes. Then for the blacks of the eye. I was incredibly steady and tried to hit the top middle of the whites with black and bend down slightly with the brush. I have poor depth perception so most of the attempts I completely missed getting the brush all the way to the miniature. Eventually I realized just keep going till I see the brush bend (which appeared as if I'd shoved the paintbrush through his face to my skewed vision).

I used Smoky Ink (Vallejo) for the eyebrows as well and messed up, realized it looked like a Slavic eyebrow and then did the other side to match. The only real disappointment I have is the primer went on grainy, and the end model is kinda grainy. It was a 100 degrees that day. Apparently, you should never primer in the heat of summer.

What colors did you use for that brown flesh on the right? It's coming up soon in my painting efforts, and I really like those tones.

Well great work all around man, he looks awesome. Looks like he’s ready to chop down a crucified Barbarian!

I don’t do eyes yet. At least not human eyes (monsters are another matter), I’ve tried a couple on some of the ladies, but... I’m working up to it. I heard that a good trick for making tiny pupils is to use a fresh sharp toothpick instead of a brush. But I haven’t tried it yet. 

I had a big batch of Conan minis that had a bad prime job. Very, very rough. It was too cold when I sprayed. I decided to remove the prime, it was THAT bad. After a lot of time trying to make it come off with some of the tips I read on BGG, with no luck, I just went for it and tried soaking them in engine degreaser. Had them back to bare plastic after a 10-15 +/- min soak and then a bit of scrubbing with an old toothbrush (wearing chemical grade gloves)... I made sure to clean them well after that and re-primed. Haven’t seen any side effects or damage at all.  I don’t recall if I had to strip any of the larger minis that aren’t one piece of plastic, but are instead glued to a more rigid type base. I doubt the degreaser would negatively affect that plastic or the attach point glue, but I don’t know for sure. 

I’ve been using Vallejo paints for a little while now and I love them. I only have the base set of colors and I mix any other colors I need, just like I did with the Army Painter set I used up before finding Vallejo. I think that N’Gora’s skin was just some of the ochre (?) with a small amount of the brown. The shader I used was probably the Army Painter Strong Tone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nice work. You and I are getting closer to having the first wave painted, just in time for the new expansion.

There was a hiccup/glitch a couple years back and a few of my posts disappeared, and I had to repost one.

Also, looking back my photography has improved. My Olgred pic is all grainy from a poor ISO, f/stop choice.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, garbetsp said:

Nice work. You and I are getting closer to having the first wave painted, just in time for the new expansion.

With 207 miniatures left to do, that sounds optimistic for me! But if I had only the retail box, I'd be all set. With something being so close of an all-in, I'm far from it.

Nevertheless, every mini done is a step toward the fully painted. One day, we'll get there!

• Like 1