[Strategy] In the clutches of the picts 

• 7 months later...

We've played this one several times. The current strategy for the players that is very effective is to kill as much as possible on Turn 1. If Conan can take out a group of Picts (especially the cheap ones in the river) and have Shevatas take out several Hyenas, the overlord is now playing catch up. By focusing on clearing the board of as much as possible on the first few turns the overlords options get more and more limited, and the chance of a player victory becomes higher and higher. As overlord, I've not quite figured out a good counter to this strategy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some specifics, Hadrathas can move/teleport into hut #2, and lightning the Picts in #1 (if there is no princess), then teleport out behind the pallasade to recover. With decent lunch, the blue group of Picts is nearly destroyed--the first tile in the Overlords river.

Shevatas can move in on the Hyenas in #6, and do them in quickly, reducing the effectiveness of any hyena activation.

Conan focuses on the red group in Hut #3 and makes short work of them.

Now the Overlord can activate Zogar Sag and move him in to chew on Conan or Shevatas, but any other response is very limited. Even getting the Purple Warriors into position is expensive for the Overlord.

As Overlord, any suggestions of response?

@garbetsp:

As OL I’ve won by pretty much ignoring the Hyenas and Pict Hunters. If you can get the Snake, Zogar, and the Princess into one hut, the Snake works for Blocking against the heroes, as well as being an effective defense for Zogar - as heroes must kill the Snake before moving on to Zogar since he has the Protected skill. Hadrathus cannot simply teleport in and grab the princess as his spellcasting ability goes away if he picks up the princess, as does Shevates’ Evade. I also work to get the Pict Warriors into position near the exits, since they too have Blocking. 

As with many of the scenarios, the OL often has to think defensively to win. 

Edited by Epaka
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I only got the game recently but we have tried the scenario i think 3 times and overlord won 2 out of 3... If the OL goes offensive using the snake and (e.g. puts Zogar and the princess into the stone hut in the top, so Conan can't wreck his way in) before the heros can group together, they have a hard time...

Also a question which I will repost in rules thread... if Hadrathus casts Lightining Storm in his own area (as in a hut for example filled with picts), he will get the same damage, since it is an area of effect spell, correct?

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 6:19 AM, Demetrio said:

if Hadrathus casts Lightining Storm in his own area (as in a hut for example filled with picts), he will get the same damage, since it is an area of effect spell, correct?

Yes, he'll potentially damage himself and any other friendlies in the same area. Also, he would kill the Princess, so it's a No Go to use that to clear out any space she is in.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...