https://the-overlord.com/FilesMonolith/TO_Banni%C3%A8re_Monolith_20181123.jpg

Arthadan

No more Conan until 2020??

Checking the comments in the Claustrophobia 1643 Kickstarter, I've stumbled upon this entry by @Matt John S (I quote);

Larson, we LOVE Conan. The issue is that the license was sold to another board game company for most of 2019. We won't be able to do any Conan until at least early 2020. I know. It hurts me, too.

So it looks like Shinobi 7 did acquire the Conan license with exclusivity. This is in clear contradiction with what we were told before:  Matt's comment.

Guess there was a misunderstanding at first. Coming from Matt, I guess this last comment is true, can anybody confirm the bad news?

I'm terribly disappointed with this last turn of events.

:sacrifice:

Edited by Arthadan
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Arthadan said:

Checking the comments in the Claustrophobia 1643 Kickstarter, I've stumbled upon this entry by @Matt John S (I quote);

So it looks like Shinobi 7 did acquire the Conan license with exclusivity. This is in clear contradiction with what we were told before:  Matt's comment.

Guess there was a misunderstanding at first. Coming from Matt, I guess this last comment is true, can anybody confirm the bad news?

I'm terribly disappointed with this last turn of events.

:sacrifice:

Yeah, that’s news to my ears too. The understanding I had from reading a few comments by Matt and Fred Henry is that Monolith would still be free to make more content for our beloved Conan game in the near-term. But looks like we have to simply hope that they can continue on in 2020.

What a huge bummer!

This is strange decision by the holders of the Conan IP. I’m sure they have their reasons, and it’d be nice to know more, but this definitely paints the forthcoming Conan products from Shinobi7 in a new light. 

It’ll be very interesting to see how this all plays out. 

• Confused 1

Monolith if you're listening, I have a request. This Conan and Monolith fan would like a press statement that clearly says what the current plans and status for Conan in the future is. Not a commitment, just clear language about what is presently planned and maybe even what hurdles need to be cleared. Epaka's post on Kickstarter is an excellent template about what folks are trying to piece together.

Personally, Conan feels a bit neglected. It was going to be after Mythic Battles, then after Batman (we all assumed you had to wait for a previous retail contract to expire so okay at least we have someone external to scorn), then after Mythic Battles 1.5, then after Claustrophobia, and now everything appears to be in some limbo status yet again. If you still have a license, then I don't care what Shinobi 7 does. In fact, I will probably not care no matter what, since they're talking about a card game then miniatures in the future. Monolith has already set the bar quite high in that regard so for them to go down that road it's going to be quite difficult--especially if you saturate the market again before they have their offering. I'm already invested heavily in the Monolith system, especially having gone all-in on Mythic Battles and the crossover, I don't think Shinobi 7 can tempt me over as i'm quite happy with what your producing.

• Like 4

Hi folks, I'm not sure precisely what I stated previously, but my intention was to make it clear that the license is not currently with us. I can't get too specific because, in fact, that license is not ours to talk about at the moment. We have all the intentions to continue work on Conan, but cannot run any kind of campaign in 2019.

I am a huge fan of the Conan board game--in fact, I'd say it's my favorite board game. I'm still playing it, painting it, and loving it. Not long ago a handful of us produced, tested and released a brand-new campaign (developed by stalwart community members) for Conan called Whispers from Stygia. It was a big undertaking and a lot of love and care went into it and you can access it here:

I totally get that people want more Monolith Conan right now. I do, too. Even though we can't produce new physical material right now, there is nothing stopping us from generating more content as a fan collective. I think that is what this page is built for. So I'm open to ideas and to help facilitate them. Also see what @Primeval is putting together here: 

So, I know this is not ideal. I know it's not even according to our original plans. Yes, we had said more Conan was coming in 2019 but this is how it happened. I can't give a date as to when more Conan will be coming--I wish I could--but I can tell you Monolith holds Conan and our fans in special regard and has not abandoned this game. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hi Matt, firstly, can I say thank you for being so upfront and open on the situation - I think we all appreciate it.  I am sure though, that we're all keen to see more Conan goodness from the Monolith team, and to that end, not being a legal expert myself, I wonder if you could answer the following questions, just to make clear (hopefully in one place only) what the current state of the possible is.   To be crystal clear I'm not looking for commitments, just what 'could' or 'cannot' legally be done with the Conan game at the present, for all the various possibilities I can think of. To that end, these are all YES/NO type questions:

1) Can Monolith publish online new fan-made scenarios?

2) Can Monolith publish in printed format (for ex. the same style as The Book Of Set) new fan made scenarios?

3) Can Monolith publish online in-house generated scenarios?

4) Can Monolith publish in printed format in-house generated scenarios?

5) Can Monolith sell existing remaining Conan stock from the kickstarter?

6) Can Monolith produce and sell additional copies of products previously offered in the kickstarter? (eg the base game, king pledge set, expansions or exclusives?)

7) Can Monolith offer and sell components from items previously offered in the kickstarter (eg. mapboards or miniatures)?

Apologies for the long windedness of these - hopefully depending on what is possible, might enable the community to come together with workable proposals to support the game as best we all can.

8 hours ago, eddieazrael said:

5) Can Monolith sell existing remaining Conan stock from the kickstarter?

I am pretty sure they sold most of this when offering the Book of Set Kickstarter.    

we can't sell anything during this time and we don't have anything to sell. We sold off most of our remaining stock during our last Conan Ks. 

As for fan made and online free material, yes. That's not a problem. We just can't sell things. 

However, both we an Cabinet want this game to continue, so I wouldn't worry too much about its future 😉

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, garbetsp said:

It has a really good article on creating scenarios and balancing as well.

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. The truth is, it's the section I'm least confident with. I wish I could have devised a more precise system for scenario creation, but I just don't think such a thing is possible.

With this, I chronicled my experience working with the game and writing scenarios in hopes it was useful or at least interesting. Sounds like you got something from it, so that pleases me 😉

• Like 2