What Primer Do You Use

In the past, I have found that some plastic figures react differently to the primers I have used.  In one case, the figure became very sticky and it took about a week to dry.   What primer have you had success with for the Monolith figures?

Thought I would ask before I just jumped into things.

Tony

Hi there and welcome, Tony!

Since two years now, I use Molotow Premium Spray to prime my miniatures. I like them better than the Citadel one who had sometimes strange effects when I was priming when the weather was too hot.

I have currently a 400ml spray can Grey Blue Middle (#226, Art.-Nr. 327178) but you can pick any color that suits you better.

They've got varnish too, if you plan to use one after you've painted your miniatures. Mine is called clear coat matt (#253, Art.-Nr. 327313).

Edited by Not Quite Dead
Spelling.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Not Quite Dead said:

I always prime outside, which force me from time to time to wait days to do it, due to the temperature, as I always feared that priming inside was bad for lungs. Do you wear a mask or something?

No just have a large basement in an old house that's very drafty (sucks on heating bills). I spray and run. Come back later. I would wager there are lung effects, but it's a lot less than smoking. Lungs are designed to be able to expel some contaminant exposure without much issue (nicotine suppresses that effect). I think the principal risk is the propellant/solvent typically used causes permanent brain damage and a basic mask will not block this. Even a little bit of that is not to be trifled with. I think the air brush folks use a different solvent that doesn't do this, but to dispense from a spray can it's basically required. You are right to be cautious. Go with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can pick up a decent respirator mask at any hardware store with replaceable filters designed for small particulates or chemicals. I have a workshop area in my garage with fans and a ventilating system so I can prime or spray paint year round in a controlled environment.

But however you go at it, definitely pay attention to excessive heat/cold and humidity, as that can adversely affect spray paint/primer. 

• Like 2