[tuto] Crack!

Roolz

Note : Same principle as the tuto "Glaak!" (brutes with firearm).

Crack ! – Painting of Clayface disguised as a Brute with Chains

Foreword

The goal of this tutorial is to paint Clayface disguised as a "brute with chains" (the deceitful bastard disguises as everyone!) to a decent standard without spending as much time as on superhero or supervillain miniatures. Similarly to the "brutes with firearm", I tried to create an optimized sequence to paint several minis simultaneously, "assembly-line-mode".

I decided to use the general colour scheme of the game’s illustration (coloured 3D rendering of the miniature), to ease the identification of the tiles and the miniatures. Note that the mini is inspired by a drawing from Jim Lee (in "All-star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder"), where a punk gets his teeth broken by Black Canary. Crack!

00a.thumb.jpg.0ba3317c053040e751a1a6e910765cf6.jpg  00b.thumb.jpg.3d05dc6fadf44e0c939ba65a801346ab.jpg  00c.thumb.jpg.4e0a60e8c6f7237586734c425f9dbe7f.jpg

A little bit of technique

As for the other brutes, few advanced techniques for these henchmen. For more details, I invite you, friendly reader, to refer to the article by Martin Grandbarbe in Compendium Vol 2, and to my “Glaakk!” tuto (here and in the Compendium Vol 4)…

Paint ranges

Once again, same-same as for the “brutes with firearm”.

Sequence

1-

Deburring, washing, then spray-prime.

Deburring these miniatures is a bit more tedious than for the brutes with firearm, due to the sculpt (chains, drapery). That’s very doable, still.

After deburring, as usual, I smoothen with acetone (see tuto “Glakk!”), then I wash the minis.

I prime the minis with tanned flesh spray primer (Barbarian Flesh AP). Since the punks’ skintone is darker than their buddies’ on Jim Lee’s drawing, this coloured primer will save me a bit of time versus a white primer.

I basecoat the main surfaces.

Firstly, I paint the teeth, mouth and eyes off-white (Ivory VM918).

Then, I paint the skin tanned flesh (Barbarian Flesh AP, in bottle), just a thin coat to increase opacity.

Finally, I paint the shoes dark blue (Prussian Blue VM965), the pants medium grey (Neutral grey VM992), and the t-shirt blue-green (Blue green VM808). If need be, I apply several thin layers to get a good opacity.

Painting in this order makes it easier to correct if I go over the edges on a previously painted surface.

01.thumb.jpg.64b4a546432dd132861d3170cbeaea6f.jpg

I draw vertical black lines (Matt Black AP) to make the pupils.

The skin is shaded with a turquoise blue wash (obtained by diluting Turquoise VM966 with matte medium Lahmian Medium GW), the pants and shoes with a black wash (Black Ink VG094 diluted with water). For both colours, I apply a first wash slightly more diluted on the whole surface, then one or more less diluted washes only in the shadow areas and hollows.

02.thumb.jpg.ad60bb5f96b97aea786f74d07226b03f.jpg

I touch-up around the eyes with tanned flesh paint (Barbarian Flesh AP).

Then I shade the skin with a brownish-red flesh wash, (ready-to-use Reikland Fleshshade GW). I apply it on the whole surface and I repeat several times until obtaining the darker skintone that I want, and finally I apply one or more local washes only in the shadow areas and hollows.

The mouth and lower lip are tinted by applying local dark red glazes (ready-to-use Carroburg Crimson GW). I repeat once or twice until I’ve achieved the desired hue.

03.thumb.jpg.298ba551ad5a4c1e477d743c6e642202.jpg

I highlight the shoes by doing blends with ultramarine blue (Ultramarine VM839).

For the pants, I drybrush very lightly with medium grey (Neutral grey VM992), to bring out the detail a little bit, then I fine-tune by doing blends with the same colour. To simplify the blending process as much as possible, I apply only one or two very thin and diluted layers, placed locally.

Same thing for the skin, with a light drybrush then blends of tanned flesh (Barbarian Flesh AP).

Then, I apply a dark red glaze (Carroburg Crimson GW) on the forehead veins and arm veins.

The skin gets its last highlights, with blends of lighter flesh paint (Flesh Tone VM815). And I highlight the veins detail using the same flesh paint.

Finally, I highlight the t-shirt the same way as the pants and the skin: light drybrush then blends of blue-green (Blue green VM808). And it receives last highlights on the most protruding edges on top (shoulders, collar, etc.), with blends of light blue-green (obtained by mixing Blue green VM808 with Ivory VM918)

04.thumb.jpg.633eb842688ef5e026ce9f632ba81652.jpg

This step is mostly about working on details…

The chains are painted silver (Chrome VMAir 064), and the hair medium brown (Leather Brown AP).

The skin gets its last shadows and outlining, via local dark brown washes (Agrax Earthshade GW). The washes are applied only in darker shadows areas, deepest recesses, and junctions between surfaces.

The eyebrows are painted black (Matte Black AP).

The pants, chains, and hair get one or more black washes (Black Ink VG094).

The chains are highlighted with small silver dots (Chrome VMAir 064), only on the links that catch the light.

The hair is highlighted by painting yellowish brown lines (Tan Yellow VM 912).

And the teeth get some dots of off-white (Ivory VM918).

05.thumb.jpg.e4d4562e1f9593399d7a80f80eeb2d93.jpg 

Almost there. Only the t-shirt’s number and the base remain.

The t-shirt number gets an off-white basecoat first (Ivory VM918), to cover the blue underneath, and avoid painting 36 layers of yellow after… Anyway, it’s eventually painted yellow (Daemonic Yellow AP). And, to make it pop a bit more, it’s highlighted with off-white blends (Ivory VM918) on the three top/horizontal edges of the number.

The base is painted exactly the same way as for the other brutes: dark grey basecoat (Dark Grey VM 994), black wash (Black Ink VG 94), dark grey drybrush everywhere, then a medium grey drybrush (Neutral Grey VM 992) focussed on the periphery, then a light grey drybrush (Light Grey VM 990) even more focussed on the periphery. The edge of the base is painted black (Matt Black AP).

06.thumb.jpg.46d63a025e9a98aa09e14c5d068c7617.jpg 

A coat of matte varnish spray (Anti-shine AP spray). Then a touch of gloss varnish (Gloss Varnish VM 510) applied selectively in the mouth, on the teeth and the lower lip.

And here are the punks ready to have a special dental exam by Black Canary, with their teeth going “Crack!”. Except it's -again- the perfidious Clayface in disguise…

07.thumb.jpg.bf3c90020036dc9e9ae947d550dde6cb.jpg

08.thumb.jpg.1a17526e3442b9c5d042e2cdfd83b8c7.jpg

Edited by Roolz
  • Like 1