In the Clutches of the Picts (solo/co-op)

This is an unofficial adaptation of the original version of In the Clutches of the Picts adapted to the Monolith Sourcebook's solo/ co-op rules. While some of the rules might look familiar, pay attention the details because there might be subtle differences to make the scenario a suitable challenge.

Download the PDF:

In the Clutches of the Picts (Solo).pdf

In-the-Clutches-of-the-Picts-Page-1.thumb.jpg.687341ad4881d103088c02fe0620c652.jpgIn-the-Clutches-of-the-Picts-Page-2.thumb.jpg.77bd031b811bb2d2855becc3b4398267.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 6 months later...

Just tried the scenario, and it was really fun. It nicely captures the feel of the original scenario. Nice job! 🙂

I'd suggest a small tweak regarding the "Activations" special rule. During my game, reinforced picts were useless as they were too far to reach a hero; they kept stacking on reinforcement zones and wasted their activation. I'd restrict this rule to ennemies in a hut and pict warriors (something like: "This rule applies only to units starting their activation in a hut, and to pict warriors.").

[Edit]

If you succeeded the scenario and want to make it harder, here are some suggestions :

I cannot find her! Do not put a treasure token in each hut. Instead, shuffle 3 treasures tokens with a 1 on the back and 1 treasure token with a 2 on the back. Make a stack with these 4 tokens. Add 4 treasure tokens with a 1 on the back on top of the stack. The first time a hero enters a hut, draw the token on top of the stack. If it's a 2, place Yselda's model in the hut. Otherwise, place the token in the hut to mark it visited. (you will have to visit at least 5 huts to find the princess)

Picts are coming! If the objectives are not completed after the end of the 8th turn, the scenario is lost.

Edited by Keerka
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for creating this. I played this scenario twice this weekend. The first time the princess was in the last hut and the next time she was in the second hut.

I really enjoyed it, both times I used a very similar strategy. It really captures the feeling of the original scenario. I kind of like the activation/reinforcement rule because it makes it more difficult to escape during the end game.

Have you tried converting any other existing scenarios? I'm thinking of trying that myself and wanted to see if you had any tips.

Edited by fodderzone
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fodderzone said:

Have you tried converting any other existing scenarios? I'm thinking of trying that myself and wanted to see if you had any tips.

No, I haven't tried converting any other official scenarios, although I am in the middle of converting the Whispers from Stygia campaign into solo/co-op mode. 

As for tips, here are a few:

• Set the game up as regular adventure mode and start playing. When you get to the Overlord's turn, apply the targeting mechanism from the solo/co-op rules. If you find the Overlord unit's actions have a lot of ambiguity, or they don't make sense, focus your efforts on creating a rule to address that problem.
  • Make sure you create a rule for every Overlord decision that needs to be made.
  • Also, make sure you maintain a high level of pressure on the heroes.
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for doing this, I was itching to play solo but didn't have the tiles and this was such a blast!

I got real lucky and found and took Yselda out in the first player turn which I thought was an easy victory, but suddenly turn 2 and 3 were a real doozy.

Still made it so!

Great work man, I look forward to seeing more in the future!

• Thanks 1